HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 3-2 against Maple Lafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2009, 11:57 AM
  #226
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Habs better kiss Halak's ass after the game.
I'm a Leaf fan and I said the exact samething after the game. Unfortunately I've said that a lot this year. Not sure how we manage to lose almost all of these games that we dominate. Happened against Buffalo a week ago, and against NYI when we put up 63 shots.....incredible.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:03 PM
  #227
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Whine Whine Whine. We loose we complain we can't do the job. We win 4 in a row, we whine we don't dominate. We're getting the results, that's all that matters.
It's not a question of ''dominating''... It's a question of playing better, or as well as the opponents.

If this team ever reach the next playoffs with that type of play, they will do like last season: loose in four consecutive games.

That's what you want ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:05 PM
  #228
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
It's not a question of ''dominating''... It's a question of playing better, or as well as the opponents.
No. It's a question of who comes out on top. That's all the standings care about.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:08 PM
  #229
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'm a Leaf fan and I said the exact samething after the game. Unfortunately I've said that a lot this year. Not sure how we manage to lose almost all of these games that we dominate. Happened against Buffalo a week ago, and against NYI when we put up 63 shots.....incredible.
For the Leafs it's goaltending. It's too rare an occurrence that the man in the blue ice outplays his counterpart at the other end. When you're a middle or bottom third team , you need the goaltending to pull one out more than once in a while. Case in point, last night's game. Switch goaltenders and the Habs aren't to be found on the scoresheet. Switch goaltenders permanently and the Habs are a lottery team.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:09 PM
  #230
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
No. It's a question of who comes out on top. That's all the standings care about.
If you like a mediocre team, that will never win anything, that's your business.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:11 PM
  #231
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 25,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
No. It's a question of who comes out on top. That's all the standings care about.
Exactly. And it is entirely acceptable for your goalie to win games for you, and to rely on him to stand on his head from time to time. That's why teams try really hard to find ones that do (even more so if they're scouting/shopping for a backup who can challenge their starter).

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:21 PM
  #232
flowerpower13*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Did Beauchemin sweat at the start of the game?

That guy with those comments proved to everyone he is not a leader.

flowerpower13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:23 PM
  #233
flowerpower13*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'm a Leaf fan and I said the exact samething after the game. Unfortunately I've said that a lot this year. Not sure how we manage to lose almost all of these games that we dominate. Happened against Buffalo a week ago, and against NYI when we put up 63 shots.....incredible.
Nobody can score in Toronto except for Kessel. That's why. That's why the coach said to shoot from everywhere and maybe get lucky. We had those Higgins type of layer before who shoots ans shoots...and never scores. MTL has talent.Give them a chance they'll put it in.

flowerpower13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:26 PM
  #234
flowerpower13*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalost27 View Post
Typical relaxing after two early goals. Montreal needs more defensive forwards in the bottom two if they want to shut a team down after a few goals and 50 minutes.
Good point.Later in the year, you'll probably see more of White and Pyatt on the 4th line.

flowerpower13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
  #235
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
Thank you santa for giving the habs the leafs,islanders and canes all in 1 week........

we need these points

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:36 PM
  #236
Washington Capitals
Registered User
 
Washington Capitals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,300
vCash: 500
I'm glad to see Halak doing well.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:44 PM
  #237
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
We played 5 games in a row where we limited the opponents to 25 shots or less. Marinaro went on and on about it for days claiming he'd ever seen such a thing. How did we go from that to this? If the shots were low I have to think they were playing some sort of organized system of play? Could that have been the system JM wants to play?
If so, why did JM have them stop? Because there is a crucial difference between that team and the one we have now. I would be ecstatic if the Habs went back to that but I don't think it's how JM wants them to play.

I think that these games happened before JM had his system firmly in place and the guys were doing what they felt was appropriate, and thus were being aggressive, forechecking hard, cycling the puck (size schmize), hanging on to the puck, and more importantly, being aggressive on defense, both in shot prevention and in transition, leading to fewer shots against but -- because they lacked coordination -- occasionally breaking down and giving a very high-percentage chance.

Then Martin got them to passively collapse around the net and always make the safe dump-out, so now they don't have so many breakdowns, but they suck more and more every game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
People are talking about the system and saying it doesn't work. But I'm not seeing an organized team. This team is trying to follow a system but failing greatly. It takes time and they haven't adapted yet.
I think they're following the system very well, it's just that the system is a silly passive collapse. They're following it exceedingly well, in that they are preventing high-percentage chances, forcing most of the shots to the perimeter, and pumping up the goalie stats that way.

Martin has designed a terrible system... and is having the team play it exceedingly well.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
  #238
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower13 View Post
Nobody can score in Toronto except for Kessel. That's why. That's why the coach said to shoot from everywhere and maybe get lucky. We had those Higgins type of layer before who shoots ans shoots...and never scores. MTL has talent.Give them a chance they'll put it in.
I beg your pardon, but Higgins had several 20+ goal seasons. Didn't he once hit 28? Only Kovalev, Ryder, and Plekanec have gone higher than 28 in the last 5 years.


Last edited by Corey: 12-27-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:39 PM
  #239
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,255
vCash: 883

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:40 PM
  #240
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:48 PM
  #241
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
You. Legend. Awesome.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
  #242
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,255
vCash: 883
Here's the original for anyone that wants to try making their own gifs:


Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:01 PM
  #243
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500


Andrei roar.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:04 PM
  #244
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post


Andrei roar.
i like, i like it BIGtime..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:07 PM
  #245
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
If you like a mediocre team, that will never win anything, that's your business.
I like a winning team. Period.

You're saying the team won't win anything why? Because we're not dominating nor playing well? How about this. We're playing like crap and we're on a 4 game winning streak. How much more if we put it together, adding our #2 D-man and a productive second line?

Like Osh said, it's FINE to have goalies bail you out. It happens regularly and solid goaltending is a part of why teams do well. Everyone wants a perfect game, where we dominate the opponent on shots AND the scoreboard. It doesn't always happen but the scoreboard is what's most important. Would you rather have outplayed and dominated the Leafs but end up losing the game? I don't think so. It wasn't pretty but they got the job done. Stop ****ing whining.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:07 PM
  #246
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,255
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post


Andrei roar.



He looks like The Beast from kung fu hustle.


Last edited by Watsatheo: 12-27-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:26 PM
  #247
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I like a winning team. Period.

You're saying the team won't win anything why? Because we're not dominating nor playing well? How about this. We're playing like crap and we're on a 4 game winning streak. How much more if we put it together, adding our #2 D-man and a productive second line?
Like Osh said, it's FINE to have goalies bail you out. It happens regularly and solid goaltending is a part of why teams do well. Everyone wants a perfect game, where we dominate the opponent on shots AND the scoreboard. It doesn't always happen but the scoreboard is what's most important. Would you rather have outplayed and dominated the Leafs but end up losing the game? I don't think so. It wasn't pretty but they got the job done. Stop ****ing whining.
This post is full of win.

we havent played 1, not ONE FREAKIN game with our 2 best defenseman in the line up, im not saying itll DRASTICALY change the shots against, but jesus christ people, how can we forget what hamrlik brought to this team without markov, and imagine that ****, the GAME AFTER hamrlik gets hurt, markov comes back, and hamrlik hasnt been back since markov came back.. cant we just be happy with results over methods?
I seriously doubt people realize just how much gionta and hamrlik will help this team when they return, everyone keeps saying : two players SURELY cant create the difference needed for this team?? wellp, im saying, it just might be

both players round out our top 6 F, and the top 4 D (top2!), ..now how in the **** doesnt that make us a better team by default.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:41 PM
  #248
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If so, why did JM have them stop? Because there is a crucial difference between that team and the one we have now. I would be ecstatic if the Habs went back to that but I don't think it's how JM wants them to play.

I think that these games happened before JM had his system firmly in place and the guys were doing what they felt was appropriate, and thus were being aggressive, forechecking hard, cycling the puck (size schmize), hanging on to the puck, and more importantly, being aggressive on defense, both in shot prevention and in transition, leading to fewer shots against but -- because they lacked coordination -- occasionally breaking down and giving a very high-percentage chance.

Then Martin got them to passively collapse around the net and always make the safe dump-out, so now they don't have so many breakdowns, but they suck more and more every game.



I think they're following the system very well, it's just that the system is a silly passive collapse. They're following it exceedingly well, in that they are preventing high-percentage chances, forcing most of the shots to the perimeter, and pumping up the goalie stats that way.

Martin has designed a terrible system... and is having the team play it exceedingly well.
You can assume that Martin's system is in place but I think its nowhere near being completed especially with the lack of practice time, players coming in and out and the compressed schedule.

Also, if you caught Martin's comments, you can tell that Martin hasn't been happy with the habs play outside of their starts lately. Don Cherry has been complaining about the leafs not showing up until they get down. As for the habs, they stop skating after they get up. The coaching staff doesn't tell them to stop skating (plekanec thought this is what happened after the first period).

Don Cherry said that the trick for the leafs is for wilson to convince his team to play to win rather than not to lose right off the opening faceoff... and this is coming from a coach who preaches aggressive hockey! I think there is something psychological involved here... there's reason why coaches turn gray with 2-0 leads.

I think Plekanec is right with his assessment of last night's game. The habs stopped skating (and dont tell me that its the system's fault).

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:53 PM
  #249
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You can assume that Martin's system is in place but I think its nowhere near being completed especially with the lack of practice time, players coming in and out and the compressed schedule.
Shouldn't we be seeing gradual improvement, rather than a gradual worsening, of the five-on-five game as more and more of the system starts falling in place? Shouldn't I be worried that more of the same isn't going to generate similar results -- ie. the team getting worse and worse?

Are the Habs supposed to be the worst 5-on-5 team in the NHL, or just about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Also, if you caught Martin's comments, you can tell that Martin hasn't been happy with the habs play outside of their starts lately.
That's nice and all, because those guys haven't been scoring, but -- what has he said that they weren't doing correctly? "More effort" isn't the solution to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think Plekanec is right with his assessment of last night's game. The habs stopped skating (and dont tell me that its the system's fault).
If it was one game, I might be inclined to believe what Tomas said, but it's been four 40+ shot games, and similar games previously that the Habs weren't quite so lucky as to win. The Leafs game is just the latest in a series, not a one-time problem game. It's really starting to look systematic.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 03:14 PM
  #250
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Shouldn't we be seeing gradual improvement, rather than a gradual worsening, of the five-on-five game as more and more of the system starts falling in place? Shouldn't I be worried that more of the same isn't going to generate similar results -- ie. the team getting worse and worse?

Are the Habs supposed to be the worst 5-on-5 team in the NHL, or just about?



That's nice and all, because those guys haven't been scoring, but -- what has he said that they weren't doing correctly? "More effort" isn't the solution to everything.



If it was one game, I might be inclined to believe what Tomas said, but it's been four 40+ shot games, and similar games previously that the Habs weren't quite so lucky as to win. The Leafs game is just the latest in a series, not a one-time problem game. It's really starting to look systematic.
Yes, I expected the habs to be a bad 5 on 5 team. I think you know my stance by know as to why I think we are bad it . They look like a team made for 4 on 4 hockey.

You would ideally want the habs to get better, but I think this goes beyond systems being preached. Lately, there seems to be this psychology built into some habs players that they can coast after getting a 2 goal lead (which is nothing new whether you talk about the habs or many other teams)... its been called the "dreaded" 2-0 lead for ages. That's why I think there's a psychological factor here as to why the teams stopped skating. The leafs have the opposite problem as they fall behind early quite often.

If there's one positive we can take right now, its that this is a work in progress, not a finished product. While it would be nice to see continual gradual improvement, I think its not out of the ordinary to see ebbs and flows either.

I apologize if it appears that I'm picking on you but I've been here long enough to see several coaches come and go and I must say that we have hired the worst coaches on the face of the earth according to this place. So admittedly, I am a bit sensitive towards this issue.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.