HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor or Tyler - The 2010 Draft Thread

Old
12-06-2009, 12:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 500
It's disappointing really since I think he has the talent to fit in with the rest of the top 7 prospects. I just don't get how he's not more productive right now. It's not like it's "one man team" syndrome either.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:23 PM
geehaad

Sorry I'm a little late to the how-to-pronounce-Seguin game, but I thought of another famous "Say-gin": Carl Sagan. Same pronunciation, right?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

For what it's worth, I was pronouncing it exactly the way Erik Stall pointed out, but I just realized that with my southern accent I pronounce "again" incorrectly, so it was a poor example to use LOL.

12-06-2009, 12:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Sorry I'm a little late to the how-to-pronounce-Seguin game, but I thought of another famous "Say-gin": Carl Sagan. Same pronunciation, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
It's definitely Say-gin (soft g, like you say).
Yep. sounds that way at least.

Old
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
It's disappointing really since I think he has the talent to fit in with the rest of the top 7 prospects. I just don't get how he's not more productive right now. It's not like it's "one man team" syndrome either.
For sure, and I agree with you that his year has been disappointing.... but I just can't forget about the natural talent that exists in that kid. 96 goals in the GTHL in 40 some odd games prior to going 1st overall in the OHL priority draft.... that's unheard of production.

I would also look a bit into that one man team talk too because he doesn't have a lot to play with. I think he's going to put it together. He no doubt needs another year of Junior, but he's far better at goal scoring than his numbers have indicated.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I pronounce it "Say Gwynn". I knew a guy with the last name of Guin, and it was pronounced "Gwynn". I figured with the SE sound being "Say", it's that.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:41 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
For sure, and I agree with you that his year has been disappointing.... but I just can't forget about the natural talent that exists in that kid. 96 goals in the GTHL in 40 some odd games prior to going 1st overall in the OHL priority draft.... that's unheard of production.

I would also look a bit into that one man team talk too because he doesn't have a lot to play with. I think he's going to put it together. He no doubt needs another year of Junior, but he's far better at goal scoring than his numbers have indicated.
O'Dell and Jared Staal aren't amazing, but it's not quite like what Landon Ferraro was working with last year. Who knows, McFarland could end up pulling a Drayson Bowman and just be really feeling the pressure of his draft year causing him to play nervous and slip significantly.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
JR isn't going to take another defenseman that high if he has the chance. I'd bank on it.
his only issue with d is how long it takes to develop them. with hedman and bogosian fitting in early, if jr thinks one of fowler or gormley can make the jump than its likely as anything else. we need high end d as much if not more than o and he knows it. its not like fowler or gormley have the commitment issues jj did. jr wants the best kid he can stick in the nhl right away. if none of them are immediate he'd take a forward assuming the forward would get there quicker. if we were third and the top two forwards were of the board then i bet he'd take one of the two top d over the russian.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 09:05 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Thoughts the Sweden group 2 days in:

Granlund is legit, he has NHL speed and physicality. He isn't the most offensively gifted player but he has a good sense of where to be on plays and it would likely result in him being productive. He's not an elite talent though, at least IMO.

Tarasenko is legit, he's going to be a solid pick for whoever takes him. While there's no chance it will be us part of me is still hoping it could be and that the Russian Factor makes him available in the 2nd around our spot.

Burmistrom, while he is good, seemed to be not quite as talented as Tarasenko. Odds are that he is likely going to fall out of my top 15 unless he has a big finish to this tournament.

Austria had a few guys that would be interesting pickups as free agent, plus a guy that's available in 2011 that should be a VERY solid pick down the road.

Our boys and my thoughts on the Filatov controversy:
Kivisto wasn't very noticeable outside of the PK in tonights Finland-Czech game. With the role he's being asked to play that's a VERY good thing. I honestly don't see the offense there for him but I think he could have the talent and skating ability to be a #4 type defenseman in the NHL.

Jordan on the other hand was very noticeable as he was on the ice for seemingly half the game. He has good offensive instincts and reminds me a bit of how Frank played before his confidence was shattered by his shoulder surgery.

Filatov... yeah there's a reason this guy isn't in the NHL. He's a floater, plain and simple. I really don't see him as a guy that should be playing in the NHL until he can figure out the defensive zone. I don't blame Hitch at all for the way he handled things with Filatov. He plays less defensively then Ovechkin... and that's not a compliment to OV.

Old
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

I hope next year to see Jordan in Albany with Dalpe and Kennedy.

I hope our scouts to watch WJC and find some Sami Kapanen- type kid. I'm tired to drafts so much Whalers kids who sucks. Most of our Whalers picks are pretty pathetic.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 09:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

One that impressed me as a possible mid-round pick in that regard was Iiro Pikarinen of Finland. He's not Sami fast but he had good offensive instincts and could make a good winger. I think he may have been available last year, he's either an older '10 eligible or was one of the youngest available for '09

Old
12-27-2009, 10:54 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Pakarinen was eligible this year, by a few weeks.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:22 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
I hope next year to see Jordan in Albany with Dalpe and Kennedy.

I hope our scouts to watch WJC and find some Sami Kapanen- type kid. I'm tired to drafts so much Whalers kids who sucks. Most of our Whalers picks are pretty pathetic.
ironically booth and jenks went the last few years, and we didnt get them. believe we couldve had them both. seems like the only ones we like are the ones destined to play in the echl and just need jobs for a couple of years, and we're hooking them up. booth bothers me, he sounded good in all his write-ups and being a whaler i thought he was a shoe-in. nope.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think you guys better get ready for Columbus to be taking Hall... They are going to pass us like we're standing still

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:35 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

McFarland, Gudbranson, Hishon, and Kuznetsov

These are the guys I think will drop slightly or a bit that I think will be steal if you get one of them in the 20s

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
This is a silly conversation.....you know the Canes are going to take Seguin, he plays for Plymouth, where all of our picks come from.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Joe McGrath

Even if we come in last we still have to "win" the lottery to make sure we get that #1pick. If any of the other bottom 5 teams win the lottery we drop down to #2. That doesn't usually happen though (except last time the Canes came in last place).

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'm think Edm and Columbus at least pass us, maybe more....

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:04 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Even if we come in last we still have to "win" the lottery to make sure we get that #1pick. If any of the other bottom 5 teams win the lottery we drop down to #2. That doesn't usually happen though (except last time the Canes came in last place).
Or in 2007 when Chicago won the lottery and jumped from 5th to 1st, bumping Philly into the number 2 slot.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

That couldn't possibly have happened, because the most you can move up is 3 spots.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
That couldn't possibly have happened, because the most you can move up is 3 spots.
Actually, Tyler's right. The most you can move up is 4 spots so the bottom 5 teams all have a shot at the first overall pick. They just have a lower percentage of winning it.

48.1% - Last
18.8% - 2nd Last
14.2% - 3rd Last
10.7% - 4th Last
8.1% - 5th Last

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Well then, I'll be damned.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
JRgavemeaNTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Actually, Tyler's right. The most you can move up is 4 spots so the bottom 5 teams all have a shot at the first overall pick. They just have a lower percentage of winning it.

48.1% - Last
18.8% - 2nd Last
14.2% - 3rd Last
10.7% - 4th Last
8.1% - 5th Last
But no team can drop more than one place.

Quote:
The 30th-place team has a 25% chance of winning the lottery, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team. A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team eligible to improve its draft order by up to four places, and no team eligible to drop more than one place. Therefore, only the 26th through 30th place teams are eligible to receive the first draft pick. Consequently, the 30th place team's chance of retaining the first overall pick improves to 48.2%.
(Quote from wikipedia, via various nhl.com sources)

Quote:
By rule, a team only can move down one spot from their place in the standings, so regardless of what happens today, the Islanders will have either the first or second selection.
(One of those nhl.com sources - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...vid=nhl-search - from the PY where the NYI had the worst record)

JRgavemeaNTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 02:20 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
3 goals and an assist for Hall. The kid is a monster. His second and third goals were absolutely ridiculous and he shrugged them off like they were nothing. I'll take him wrapped please

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
WoodGundy

I am setting myself up for a huge fall. I've been watching these games already thinking of him as Carolina property.

I still can't bring myself to cheer for a loss in any given game, but it will be the wins rather than the losses that will make me lose sleep the rest of the way. We can't screw this up.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote