HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues (17-14-5) at Wild (18-16-3) Dec 26 7 PM

Old
12-26-2009, 01:37 PM
MissouriBlues2008

vCash: 500
Blues (17-14-5) at Wild (18-16-3) Dec 26 7 PM

Fox Sports Midwest Radio: KMOX 1120

Saturday, December 26, 2009 7:00 PM CT

17-14-5.....St. Louis Blues at Minnesota Wild..... 18-16-3

Xcel Energy Center

Starting Goalies Matchup
Daily Faceoff.com Previews
St. Louis Blues NHL.com Preview
Calgary Flames NHL.com Preview
STLToday Preview
SportingNews Preview

Blues News

Daily Faceoff Unofficial All-Star Vote
Blues Assign Strachan to Peoria
Young trio steps up for Blues
Winter Classic at Fenway triggers fond memories
Almost My Team Canada/Berglund Shines
Boyes, Oshie lead Blues to shootout win

Blues Twitter Pages:
http://twitter.com/jprutherford
http://twitter.com/DP_57 (verified by Chris Kerber)
http://twitter.com/chriskerber
http://twitter.com/BluesHockey
http://twitter.com/TheHockeyNews
http://twitter.com/andystrickland
http://twitter.com/St_Louis_Blues
http://twitter.com/a10steen Alex Steen. Verified.
http://twitter.com/bradwinchester Brad Winchester

Blues stats
Blues Roster

Team Stats:
Code:
stats 36 GP 37 17 W 18 14 L 16 5 OT 3 39 P 39 0.542 P% 0.527 2.47 G/G 2.51 2.64 GA/G 2.73 16.8 PP% 17.2 86.1 PK% 83.9 29.5 S/G 29.4 30.7 SA/G 27.9 49.1 FO% 53.2
Team injuries

D.J. King
December 19
Comment: King (broken hand) is skating with the team and is expected to join the Blues on Saturday as they prepare for a three-game road trip to Western Canada, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

Eric Brewer
December 23
Comment: Brewer (back) is expected to return to action Wednesday night against Calgary, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Have Mason and Conklin always split back to backs this year?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Have Mason and Conklin always split back to backs this year?
Yeah. Usually Conklin plays the first, Mason the second, I believe.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 06:47 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

vCash: 50
anyone have a stream they know will work?
looked at a few and are like colored boxes right now so i am hoping they will turn on but am not sure if they will.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 07:24 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

stream plz?

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:38 PM
butteredtoast

So I'm guessing that no stream means nobody actually got to watch this game?

Blues lose either way,4-3, since nobody knows what happened I'm going to blame Murray.

butteredtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Mason was Horrible. Refs took away a Blues goal and called a penalty on Berglund for getting thrown into a Wild player and into the goalie (per usual). By far the worst game Oshie has played at -4. On the final goal there were 4 Blues players infront of the net and not 1 could get a stick on the puck and clear it and Mason facing backwards (wtf was that?) couldnt make the save. Berglund and Perron looked strong again. Its going to be hard for Murray to keep their minutes down now (although he will anyway).

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Blueshockey2*

Good to see the Minnesota boys tryin to be heroes cost us a few goals tonight..

I'm sure everyone is harping on Jackman on that goal that was created from Oshie trying to do too much in the offensive zone and getting the puck stripped which led to a 2 on 1..

Also the last Minnesota goal, EJ stepped up trying to make a big hit and just looked awful doing so and missed, Oshie followed him not 10seconds later trying to make a big hit and missed, opening up a lane to the net that led to the last Minnesota goal

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:09 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
The first goal was a pretty sweet aggressive move by McDonald during the 4 on 4 with Brewer clearing the way in front of the net. He doesn't get an assist, but it was a great play by Brewer to tie up the opposing defender and give McDonald basically an open run right into the slot.

Minnesota is a good team. I'll be surprised if they aren't challenging for a playoff spot right down the wire. This is not the team the Blues played in October.

The disallowed goal was a joke. Berglund got thrown into the goalie. I thought I'd heard the whistle before the puck went in, but even at that...they could have just disallowed the goal without giving out a 2 minute penalty. However, this play led to McDonald's goal shortly after.

Perron's goal was just tremendous desire. Also good to see Berglund play another live game and get on the score sheet. Even in the loss, if we can get Berglund with some real confidence and a scoring run, it will pay off dividends down the road.

This was not a really strong game by Mason. He had a couple big saves, but there were also goals on pucks he usually stops. Weirdest play had to be when the Wild got a 1 on 1 and suddenly Mason was there without a stick. He had shifted his stick to the other hand to allow his dominant hand to try and fix the helmet strap which had broken when an earlier shot hit him in the head. That would have been a complete bonehead goal to allow, but the defender (think it was Johnson) bailed him out.

Just to reiterate, Brewer played another solid game...surprisingly little rust for just the 2nd game back. I'm not sure where the EJ we saw a couple months ago is, but he'd make a great partner for Brewer.

Disappointing not to get a point at least out of this game. The refs could have helped a bit there, but the PP was looking fairly inept early.

I'll take winning 3 out of 4 the rest of the way. The Blues need to go home and make the Scott Trade a tough place to play again. I'll be surprised if the next game isn't a great one to watch and a strong Blues win.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:59 AM
blue bleeder 24-7

Shouldn't that disallowed goal have counted anyway? We didn't posses the puck between when we last touched it and it went in. And if that was the case, it would have been 2:00 and a goal for us. Didn't get that call.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 09:01 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The first goal was a pretty sweet aggressive move by McDonald during the 4 on 4 with Brewer clearing the way in front of the net. He doesn't get an assist, but it was a great play by Brewer to tie up the opposing defender and give McDonald basically an open run right into the slot.

Minnesota is a good team. I'll be surprised if they aren't challenging for a playoff spot right down the wire. This is not the team the Blues played in October.

The disallowed goal was a joke. Berglund got thrown into the goalie. I thought I'd heard the whistle before the puck went in, but even at that...they could have just disallowed the goal without giving out a 2 minute penalty. However, this play led to McDonald's goal shortly after.

Perron's goal was just tremendous desire. Also good to see Berglund play another live game and get on the score sheet. Even in the loss, if we can get Berglund with some real confidence and a scoring run, it will pay off dividends down the road.

This was not a really strong game by Mason. He had a couple big saves, but there were also goals on pucks he usually stops. Weirdest play had to be when the Wild got a 1 on 1 and suddenly Mason was there without a stick. He had shifted his stick to the other hand to allow his dominant hand to try and fix the helmet strap which had broken when an earlier shot hit him in the head. That would have been a complete bonehead goal to allow, but the defender (think it was Johnson) bailed him out.

Just to reiterate, Brewer played another solid game...surprisingly little rust for just the 2nd game back. I'm not sure where the EJ we saw a couple months ago is, but he'd make a great partner for Brewer.

Disappointing not to get a point at least out of this game. The refs could have helped a bit there, but the PP was looking fairly inept early.

I'll take winning 3 out of 4 the rest of the way. The Blues need to go home and make the Scott Trade a tough place to play again. I'll be surprised if the next game isn't a great one to watch and a strong Blues win.
I think Johnson is trying too hard to get his physical game up to par with the rest of his abilities. He should just let it come naturally. Get nasty in the corners, make the big hit when it's too obvious to avoid, don't force the checks.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 09:45 AM
jmwc95

My thoughts on the game:

- On the 1st goal either Brewer was way too wide and let Latendresse get inside position or he was getting back off of a bad line change. That was probably the case since Weaver was out there as well. So that first goal might be Colaiacovo's fault with an assist by Mason for not stopping the shot.

- Mason needs to get a chin cup added to his helmet. I have watched most of the Blues games this year, and I can't remember another goalie losing their mask. Maybe one. I can remember Mason's mask coming off at least 4 times. He needs to get that thing strapped down. Imagine a football player wearing their helment without the chin cup to keep in in place. It's going to wobble all over the place and come off.

- Jackman continues his mediocre play of late. My problem with Jackman is not his physical ability, but his decision making. He made a bad pass that gave up a 2-on-1 in the 1st, he let someone beat him for a breakaway (luckily Mason bailed him out), and twice he stood right on the doorstep while letting someone standing 2 feet from him almost convert a nice pass (once was on a pass from Brunnette and the shot rang off the post, the other was a backdoor feed that was fanned on in the 1st period). Finally, he stupidly left his position on the point when Oshie turned the puck over for the 2-on-1 that led to the 3rd goal. WHAT WAS HE THINKING! He allows more odd man rushes than anyone else.

- Colaiacovo is not worth extending. He is a turnover machine. We have already overpaid enough former 1st round picks that were about to hit UFA that have not lived up to their contracts (Brewer, Jackman). Don't make the same mistake again. Use that money on a better player.

- I would think twice before extending Mason, especially if you want to pay him more than he currently makes. This will be a great year for goalies who are going to be UFAs or on the market. Rinne will be the cream of the class, but Hiller is a UFA and Harding and Schneider with both be on the market. I'm not sold on Mason being the future, especially since he'll be 34 later this season.

- OMG, Berglund will actually produce when he's paired with at least one decent linemate and gets quality minutes. Who would have thought?

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:54 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
My thoughts on the game:

- On the 1st goal either Brewer was way too wide and let Latendresse get inside position or he was getting back off of a bad line change. That was probably the case since Weaver was out there as well. So that first goal might be Colaiacovo's fault with an assist by Mason for not stopping the shot.

- Mason needs to get a chin cup added to his helmet. I have watched most of the Blues games this year, and I can't remember another goalie losing their mask. Maybe one. I can remember Mason's mask coming off at least 4 times. He needs to get that thing strapped down. Imagine a football player wearing their helment without the chin cup to keep in in place. It's going to wobble all over the place and come off.

- Jackman continues his mediocre play of late. My problem with Jackman is not his physical ability, but his decision making. He made a bad pass that gave up a 2-on-1 in the 1st, he let someone beat him for a breakaway (luckily Mason bailed him out), and twice he stood right on the doorstep while letting someone standing 2 feet from him almost convert a nice pass (once was on a pass from Brunnette and the shot rang off the post, the other was a backdoor feed that was fanned on in the 1st period). Finally, he stupidly left his position on the point when Oshie turned the puck over for the 2-on-1 that led to the 3rd goal. WHAT WAS HE THINKING! He allows more odd man rushes than anyone else.

- Colaiacovo is not worth extending. He is a turnover machine. We have already overpaid enough former 1st round picks that were about to hit UFA that have not lived up to their contracts (Brewer, Jackman). Don't make the same mistake again. Use that money on a better player.

- I would think twice before extending Mason, especially if you want to pay him more than he currently makes. This will be a great year for goalies who are going to be UFAs or on the market. Rinne will be the cream of the class, but Hiller is a UFA and Harding and Schneider with both be on the market. I'm not sold on Mason being the future, especially since he'll be 34 later this season.

- OMG, Berglund will actually produce when he's paired with at least one decent linemate and gets quality minutes. Who would have thought?
I'm sure they'll wait til the offseason and then grade Mason just like all the other free agent goalies.

He hasn't earned a multi-year contract. He seems to be slipping back lately to his career averages, which is not surprising. Great year last season, but not proof that he's become an elite goaltender.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:02 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I'm sure they'll wait til the offseason and then grade Mason just like all the other free agent goalies.

He hasn't earned a multi-year contract. He seems to be slipping back lately to his career averages, which is not surprising. Great year last season, but not proof that he's become an elite goaltender.
I thought I heard on the telecast that management had started talks with Mason about extending his contract, and that the announcers though he's command something close to $5MM/yr. I know I heard it somewhere.

Old
12-27-2009, 02:13 PM
concept*

Quote:
I thought I heard on the telecast that management had started talks with Mason about extending his contract, and that the announcers though he's command something close to $5MM/yr. I know I heard it somewhere.
Whoever gives him $5m/year is an idiot and should be immediately fired. Especially when as his backup we have a perfectly capable goaltender who has been a starter and who has better stats.

Old
12-27-2009, 03:24 PM
jmwc95

Here it is, from Strickland:

Quote:
Both the Blues and Chris Mason want to get a deal done. It would make sense to get it done soon to avoid the potential of any type of distraction. Term is not the issue for either side as the Blues know Masonís character and work ethic. Heíll have no problem getting a 3-4 year deal in the range of $4-5 million per season.

Old
12-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
why can't the blues seem to get their **** together when it comes to goaltending?

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 06:44 PM
concept*

Quote:
Here it is, from Strickland:
That's ridiculous. 3-4 years at $4-$5m? The guy is going to be 34 this year. I don't see him getting any better at the age of 35, 36, or 37, and not in the $4-$5m range.

Old
12-27-2009, 11:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
That's ridiculous. 3-4 years at $4-$5m? The guy is going to be 34 this year. I don't see him getting any better at the age of 35, 36, or 37, and not in the $4-$5m range.
Yeah, I wondered if Strickland had made a typo or was just plain smoking something with that one. I hope Mason pulls it together, but he's been pretty average the last few starts. I wouldn't mind if they re-sign him, provided its for no more money than he makes now....possibly less if he doesn't improve. I think his presence in practice is also worth something.

It would be nice for the Blues to make a play for a free agent gem to hold the fort until Allen (or longshot Bishop) are ready to play. I've become so jaded I really don't expect any Blues' goalie prospect to make it in the NHL.

The first goal allowed was Colaiacovo on a bad line change. It was even commented on tonight in the Sabres game.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Stang

i was at the game and it seemed like every 20 seconds the blues players were going off on a line change...kinda hard to play when u gotta dump the puck in and go off on a change every time u get the puck. tons of people were yelling stuff about murray and his line changes

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote