HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" - 12.26.09 - Chicago at Nashville

Old
12-27-2009, 12:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Dumont, Arnott and Sullivan, at this point, are committing theft.

They're collecting paychecks while contributing zero on the ice. Sullivan and Dumont played possibly their worst games as Predators tonight, time and time again killing offensive chances by looking for passes that weren't there, coughing the puck up because they're afraid to get hit, or gliding through the offensive zone because moving their legs makes them tired. Meanwhile, they continue to go without being held accountable by Trotz(at least publically, and at this point, who can say they don't have it coming?). Instead, they suck up icetime from guys that are not only contributing offensively, but actually TRYING...Jones and Hornqvist, in particular.

After three of their goals against, the shift immediatly after, Belak was put out on the ice. Looking for a fight, but finding no partner? One can only hope that was the explanation.

WFOME...I have to disagree about Sulzer. He might not have had a glaring mistake tonight, but he looks like a deer in the headlights every time out. Franson will cause some chances against, but at least he's bringing something to the table with his offensive game.

First sellout of the season. Way to leave a good impression with a lazy effort from most of the top six and at least 4 of our 6 defenseman. Probably the most frustrating game to watch of the season, and doesn't instill a lot of confidence going into Chicago for the second half of the back to back tomorrow night.

Can we call up Gabriel Bourque?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 04:41 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Dumont, Arnott and Sullivan, at this point, are committing theft.

They're collecting paychecks while contributing zero on the ice. Sullivan and Dumont played possibly their worst games as Predators tonight, time and time again killing offensive chances by looking for passes that weren't there, coughing the puck up because they're afraid to get hit, or gliding through the offensive zone because moving their legs makes them tired. Meanwhile, they continue to go without being held accountable by Trotz(at least publically, and at this point, who can say they don't have it coming?). Instead, they suck up icetime from guys that are not only contributing offensively, but actually TRYING...Jones and Hornqvist, in particular.

After three of their goals against, the shift immediatly after, Belak was put out on the ice. Looking for a fight, but finding no partner? One can only hope that was the explanation.

WFOME...I have to disagree about Sulzer. He might not have had a glaring mistake tonight, but he looks like a deer in the headlights every time out. Franson will cause some chances against, but at least he's bringing something to the table with his offensive game.

First sellout of the season. Way to leave a good impression with a lazy effort from most of the top six and at least 4 of our 6 defenseman. Probably the most frustrating game to watch of the season, and doesn't instill a lot of confidence going into Chicago for the second half of the back to back tomorrow night.

Can we call up Gabriel Bourque?

Have to say I agree with you 100%. I remember debating in preseason threads that with Sully back for a full year we'd be an impact team in the West. While we could still be in that boat it is certainly not because of him. I simply dont get it. I think Arnott has had spurts of solid play, but as soon as I start to see it, he's injured or falls back in a slump. Those three have been miserable to watch, because we've all seen what they can do together.

Horns has been by far my favorite player this year. He's still not a "goalscorer" or "gamebreaker", but he is fun to watch. I enjoy his grit and willingness to elevate his game. He IMO is getting robbed of solid ice time by Trotz refusing to hold others accoutable for poor play.

Klein is a joke. I get the feeling that he's Trotzs golden boy. It doesnt matter how poorly he plays he still rakes in more ESTOI than our top pair. (On most nights) I like seeing Franson develop. Yes he still makes dumb plays here and there, he provides solid breakout passing (for the most part) and looks good on the PP. And he's what +7 with a few points as well. Keep him up and play Sulzer instead of Klein.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 06:08 AM
OpenWheel

The players the team counts on are looking like paycheck players.

Way to tank in front of a full house.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 12-27-2009 at 06:47 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:29 PM
ndgt10

Glad to see Sullivan cherry picking. That's pretty much all he does.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:29 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
If Arnott is injured {and for his sake I hope he is} and isnt going to skate then he should have the decency to take himself out of the lineup and let a young guy give it a run.

It is crazy times when you wish Goc was back up there with Erat.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Turning point in the game last night was when Huet reached out to interfere with Jones in on the forecheck and then the Hawks immediately jumped to his defense with Eager going after Jones at the benches. It wasn't so much either incident separately, but rather combined it was a "team toughness" moment for Chicago that woke up the entire Blackhawks bench and lead to them taking advantage of the 4 on 4 opportunity to get some shots on goal and gain the momentum that eventually lead to the Preds being outshot 11-2 after the 3rd Chicago goal.

We were in Huet's head. He was upset that the video review went against him and the Preds had started buzzing around his crease when he snapped and hit Jones, but it was the Hawks and not the Predators that took advantage of the moment to take control of the game and coast to an easy victory.

Need to play a much more detailed game tonight. Get pucks deep in spots where we can establish a forecheck, finish checks whenever possible, throw pucks at the net from all angles, and most importantly play gritty hockey in the corners, at the net, and most importantly at the bluelines. Our forwards must do a better job of supporting the defense and in turn our defense must support our goaltender. Ellis in net might help alleviate some of the Hawks forechecking pressure with his stickhandling ability, but it takes a total team effort to beat the Hawks and I hope everyone bottled up a little frustration from last night's performance to use as inspiration tonight...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 05:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Glad to see Sullivan cherry picking. That's pretty much all he does.
Maybe in Chicago, but this is a new thing for Sullivan with the Predators. I think he's trying to do too much while also trying his very hardest not to get hurt again. The old Sullivan was so dangerous because he could possess the puck, regardless of being in a position to get hit. It's not working that way for him anymore.

The script goes like this:

Wait for homerun pass
Get it
Skate into the zone one on one and
a) try to toe drag around a defenseman that has no part of it, causing a turnover
b) grind to a stop, waiting for his trailers to catch up, drawing the defenseman to him, causing a turnover.

It's frustrating to see him back at the point again as well. This experiment didn't work in 06-07, I can't see it now. Suter and Weber should be the point on PP1, Franson and Hamhuis(or even Klein) on PP2, but that's just my frustrated opinion.

SLake..I had earmarked that moment as well. We had all the momentum in the early second, but that was a turning point. There were two ways we could have gone...we chose the fold-up and play homerun hockey, and we got it shoved down our throat. Especially frustrating given the obnoxious Blackhawk fans in the seats next to us.

Two games in a row I've seen the same old trends that were prevalent in the first games of the season...passive forecheck\one man in deep...playing to counterattack, rather than attack...looking for plays\passes other than shots. It's just amazing how different we can look from one game to another...I can't believe or imagine Smithson being out could be making that much of a difference.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He did look a bit uncomfortable with the puck, but I think that's something that will go away with more playing time. I wouldn't be opposed to playing both Sulzer and Franson and parking Klein.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:00 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to playing both Sulzer and Franson and parking Klein.
Agree 100%.

Old
12-28-2009, 02:05 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
who can we call up and park Hamhuis?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 05:41 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
who can we call up and park Hamhuis?
I dont know that Hammer is really the problem. He definetly makes his fair share of mistakes, but if properly documented I'd guess that most of his problem is trying to cover for Kleins goofs and then gets caught. Klein should be traded or sent down fast, quick and in a hurry.

Id put Hamhuis and Franson together and pair the cube with Sulzer. Sulzer will have the deer in the headlights look for a bit, but with a veteran partner that should go away with time. He could be mentored and gain confidence quickly if given the opportunity.