HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How old were you when you get your man strength?

View Poll Results: At what age did you get your "man strength?"
20-21 3 21.43%
22-23 3 21.43%
23-25 5 35.71%
25+ 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-25-2009, 09:34 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
How old were you when you get your man strength?

This is a very important question at higher levels of hockey, because everyone gets their "man strength" at different ages. For me, it was 23-25. A lot of young NHL'ers are appearing fully physically developed by 18 or 19 but that is rare. Anyway, how about you guys?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:49 PM
blueberrydanish

Im 21 now, and around 20ish I definitely started to notice a change in my body. Ive always been fit(fit as in not stick thin, not too big) without having to try, but now just from playing hockey and a physical labor job for a bit, Ive noticed my body becoming alot more tone with my muscles becoming more defined and filling out. Obviously no clue of my peak yet, but I noticed a big difference around turning 20 for sure.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Tojo

22 Right now ... I definitely started to notice allot more muscle mass from 18 to 19 put on 20 lbs on mainly muscle, then again from 20-21 putting on roughly another 20 lbs from hockey and lifting. Can't say anything beyond that yet.

Tojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Hockeyfan68

I'm trying to remember back 20+ years or so ago ... I was 220lbs at 18 years old and by the time I was 23 I grew another inch and a half and gained 15 lbs of muscle.

There truly was a big strength difference for me around then as well and I would often hurt people by accident playing hockey and had to adjust to that in friendly games. I literally did not know my own strength, often I would shove someone into the boards trying to get a puck in the corner and end up with a "whoops" look on my face and apologizing.

Now I weigh 240-245lbs depending on how big a dump I take in the morning .... still in decent shape after 40 and still playing hockey.

Tizz a good life we have, live it playing hockey as long as possible. I am starting to see fewer and fewer people my age playing hockey still. I'll play until I absolutely cannot any longer.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:29 AM
CanadaBacon

I started to fill out in Juniors at like 17 or 18. I peaked at about 25ish and now am on the decline. Mind you i dont work out the same or eat the same and drink alot more since i stopped playing comp.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:37 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I'm trying to remember back 20+ years or so ago ... I was 220lbs at 18 years old and by the time I was 23 I grew another inch and a half and gained 15 lbs of muscle.

There truly was a big strength difference for me around then as well and I would often hurt people by accident playing hockey and had to adjust to that in friendly games. I literally did not know my own strength, often I would shove someone into the boards trying to get a puck in the corner and end up with a "whoops" look on my face and apologizing.

Now I weigh 240-245lbs depending on how big a dump I take in the morning .... still in decent shape after 40 and still playing hockey.

Tizz a good life we have, live it playing hockey as long as possible. I am starting to see fewer and fewer people my age playing hockey still. I'll play until I absolutely cannot any longer.
(ps: i was playing open hockey not too long ago with a 71 year old. he couldn't skate or shoot for squat but he passed, he never fell over and we gave him time and space. every other guy there was 35+, i'm 23, and they all hoped one day they could be playing at 71)

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:42 PM
vivianmb

been this size since i'm 12 or 13. was very strong in juniors, but i didn't have any REAL strength when i started working in heavy construction at 23 .bending electrical pipe and shaping 2" diameter wires has made me MUCH stronger.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Heh..."man strength".

I will say 21. At 17 I dropped 50 pounds, worked in warehouses for 3 years and got fairly strong, and at 21 I started putting on some more muscle to go along with the strength. But I've always had Popeye forearms from drumming which helps with the wrist shot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
(ps: i was playing open hockey not too long ago with a 71 year old. he couldn't skate or shoot for squat but he passed, he never fell over and we gave him time and space. every other guy there was 35+, i'm 23, and they all hoped one day they could be playing at 71)
I played with a guy once who was about 70, a retired lawyer. He was good too though obviously at 70 not very fast he had obvious skill.

I really hope I can still be playing at 70.

Old
12-27-2009, 12:51 AM
noobman

My goodness, I hope I haven't gained it all yet.

I'm 21 right now, and in the last year I've gained a solid 15 pounds. I was once 230lb as a really fat kid, but I cut down to about 182lb as of about last summer. Right now I'm 197lb.

Admittedly some of it is fat, but a lot of it is muscle too. My legs are much bigger than they once were, and my chest/back muscles are really coming in. I still have pretty scrawny arms.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
My goodness, I hope I haven't gained it all yet.

I'm 21 right now, and in the last year I've gained a solid 15 pounds. I was once 230lb as a really fat kid, but I cut down to about 182lb as of about last summer. Right now I'm 197lb.

Admittedly some of it is fat, but a lot of it is muscle too. My legs are much bigger than they once were, and my chest/back muscles are really coming in. I still have pretty scrawny arms.
Nice job on the weight loss! Congrats!

kepp it up ... errr I mean down

Old
12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Saved*

Well, I'm not the biggest guy, but I'm very strong on the puck. My legs are like tree trunks and I don't get knocked off it. I played some hockey with members of the Halifax Mooseheads, and a few other provincial teams over Christmas break, and they all had trouble knocking me off the puck and were asking me what level of hockey I played. When I told them I play D1-3 mens league, they were flabbergasted and assumed I played higher level of hockey... so I guess I'm pretty strong.

I'll admit though.. I knew who they were, and I tried to play my absolute best while they were treating it like pickup, so it was kind of easy to look good on the ice when getting fed passes by such caliber players. When everything is going good.... it just feels awesome.

I wish I could play with them more... back to Ontario I go.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
Well, I'm not the biggest guy, but I'm very strong on the puck. My legs are like tree trunks and I don't get knocked off it. I played some hockey with members of the Halifax Mooseheads, and a few other provincial teams over Christmas break, and they all had trouble knocking me off the puck and were asking me what level of hockey I played. When I told them I play D1-3 mens league, they were flabbergasted and assumed I played higher level of hockey... so I guess I'm pretty strong.

I'll admit though.. I knew who they were, and I tried to play my absolute best while they were treating it like pickup, so it was kind of easy to look good on the ice when getting fed passes by such caliber players. When everything is going good.... it just feels awesome.

I wish I could play with them more... back to Ontario I go.
Nice story. I think your balance probably is outstanding, balance isn't the same as actual strength but is indeed related. Any case, how old were you when that came about?

Old
12-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Nice story. I think your balance probably is outstanding, balance isn't the same as actual strength but is indeed related. Any case, how old were you when that came about?
I broke my knee and ankle awhile back, and have only been playing hockey again for just under a year.. lol so sometime in the last year

Old
12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
I broke my knee and ankle awhile back, and have only been playing hockey again for just under a year.. lol so sometime in the last year
I'm glad you are able to play again, congrats on what must've been on helluva tough comeback. You are the man.

Old
12-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I'm glad you are able to play again, congrats on what must've been on helluva tough comeback. You are the man.
The first time I tore 2 ligaments, it was bad.. real bad. And after it healed, I did it again walking down the street and had to get it repaired again. The ligament this time was seen through the skin, all curled up like a ball underneath the skin.

I literally could not exercise at all for about 6 months, and depression sank in, gained lots of weight etc. The DR expressively forbade me from working out at all, as he knew I would go overkill and try to do more than my body could handle. Soon I got the OK from the DR to start working out, and within 9 months I lost 75 lbs and was in prime game shape for the hockey I play.

Now, the only thing I worry about is my ankle. I skate on a 5/8ths cut for my own safety as well as to sooth my paranoia. I feel that if I have a deeper cut like I used to, maybe my ankle will give way when I catch an edge the wrong way. It sucks because my skating could be much better than it is, but I manage to do good. I can't really do fast cross overs in a turn though, I'll lose an edge. I use my outside leg to push off 2 or 3 times kind of. It only works for me because I can accelerate fast and reach top speed before many other people even finish their first few chops haha

I will say though, I come from a good gene pool for sports, and played at a pretty high level all my life until my injuries. I'm just happy to be playing now! But because of my paranoia, I play really bad hockey the first night after getting my skates sharpened because it's still too much bite for me. I take it easy, make safe plays, and just.. relax. After a skate or two, I'm good to go. It sucks because I'm heavily relied on for scoring, forechecking, turnovers etc.

Old
12-29-2009, 12:40 AM
CanadaBacon

Now that is an injury, losing teeth, getting sown and broken noses has nothing on that.

Maybe going up to a 3/4 or 13/16 or 7/8 might ease your mind a little. As long as you dont go over an inch you should still get atleast 5 hours (not just floating, skating hard) of ice before sharpenings.

Old
12-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Now that is an injury, losing teeth, getting sown and broken noses has nothing on that.

Maybe going up to a 3/4 or 13/16 or 7/8 might ease your mind a little. As long as you dont go over an inch you should still get atleast 5 hours (not just floating, skating hard) of ice before sharpenings.
I really want to try something a little more shallow than 5/8ths because of the 2 hr break in period, but at the same time, I don't want to start losing edges left right and center Last time I lost an edge (other than small stuff), it was a 1 on 1, coming in off right wing and flipped the puck over the defenders stick and jumped past him. I picked the puck up on the other side and planted my skate to do a spinarama backhand and lost my edge, smacked my head off the post and knocked the net off AFTER THE ****ING PUCK WENT IN THE GOD DAMN NET YOU STUPID REF! lololol

mild concussion

Old
12-29-2009, 12:54 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I really want to try something a little more shallow than 5/8ths because of the 2 hr break in period, but at the same time, I don't want to start losing edges left right and center Last time I lost an edge (other than small stuff), it was a 1 on 1, coming in off right wing and flipped the puck over the defenders stick and jumped past him. I picked the puck up on the other side and planted my skate to do a spinarama backhand and lost my edge, smacked my head off the post and knocked the net off AFTER THE ****ING PUCK WENT IN THE GOD DAMN NET YOU STUPID REF! lololol

mild concussion
yikes, go up 1/16ths till you find your threshold.

With 2 hours it takes to "dull" to your liking you could go to atleast a 3/4 for sure. Still do the 1/16th thing though.

Old
12-29-2009, 04:26 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
The first time I tore 2 ligaments, it was bad.. real bad. And after it healed, I did it again walking down the street and had to get it repaired again. The ligament this time was seen through the skin, all curled up like a ball underneath the skin.

I literally could not exercise at all for about 6 months, and depression sank in, gained lots of weight etc. The DR expressively forbade me from working out at all, as he knew I would go overkill and try to do more than my body could handle. Soon I got the OK from the DR to start working out, and within 9 months I lost 75 lbs and was in prime game shape for the hockey I play.

Now, the only thing I worry about is my ankle. I skate on a 5/8ths cut for my own safety as well as to sooth my paranoia. I feel that if I have a deeper cut like I used to, maybe my ankle will give way when I catch an edge the wrong way. It sucks because my skating could be much better than it is, but I manage to do good. I can't really do fast cross overs in a turn though, I'll lose an edge. I use my outside leg to push off 2 or 3 times kind of. It only works for me because I can accelerate fast and reach top speed before many other people even finish their first few chops haha

I will say though, I come from a good gene pool for sports, and played at a pretty high level all my life until my injuries. I'm just happy to be playing now! But because of my paranoia, I play really bad hockey the first night after getting my skates sharpened because it's still too much bite for me. I take it easy, make safe plays, and just.. relax. After a skate or two, I'm good to go. It sucks because I'm heavily relied on for scoring, forechecking, turnovers etc.
Invest in a solid ankle brace. You still lose a bit of mobility (not speed), but you gain a lot of confidence as a good brace severely lowers the chance of re-injury.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Saved*

I got my skates sharpened 3/4ths just now. Have a game tonight. Any tips on getting used to it in the pre-game skate?

Old
01-06-2010, 10:03 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I got my skates sharpened 3/4ths just now. Have a game tonight. Any tips on getting used to it in the pre-game skate?
Just skate, its not THAT big of a difference from a 5/8"