HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings lose one vz... the "wild" thoughts and gripes

Old
12-29-2009, 12:48 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

vCash: 500
The guy who is making 6.8 million a season needs to start producing. This team is going to hurt badly without Stoll and Williams. BADLY. And it ain't Purcell's fault that the 1st line sucks.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The guys that might be had via trade are definately Frolov, Ivanans because of UFA status...I would think the Kings would listen to offers for Purcell, Drewiske, Moller and some prospects outside of Schenn and Bernier.
I'm sure teams will be lining up to get those guys on their NHL rosters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Kopitar and Frolov need to wake up... and soon. The Kings are going to be right out of the top 8 in no time if they don't start contributing on the scoreboard in short order.

- T
I thought Frolov played well tonight and he has been for a while. Kopitar on the other hand... who know what is going on there because he has been awful the last 2 games and before the break.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:50 AM
SFKingshomer

I saw Kopitar drive the slot more tonight than the past few games.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
The guy who is making 6.8 million a season needs to start producing. This team is going to hurt badly without Stoll and Williams. BADLY. And it ain't Purcell's fault that the 1st line sucks.
I agree it isn't Purcell's fault the first line sucks but it is Purcell's fault he sucks. I've had about enough of him.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:54 AM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I saw Kopitar drive the slot more tonight than the past few games.
But FINISH, You could work your ass off but you cannot FINISH. Kopitar has to get going. If not I say bench him for a couple games let him see his team struggle without him and let him realize how much the Kings are relying on him. HE is the one who is leading us to playoffs.. Behind him is Quick and so on. As for Quick, I think he played decent. And well Kings fans this year you CANNOT pin the failure of not making the playoffs on goaltending. He has giving us a chance to win 97% of the time this year.

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
There are only three people on that line and he's one of them. So it's at least one-third his fault.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:56 AM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
There are only three people on that line and he's one of them. So it's at least one-third his fault.
First of all, I think it was foolish of TM to put Purcell on the 1st line. TM strikes again......

Old
12-29-2009, 12:58 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
First of all, I think it was foolish of TM to put Purcell on the 1st line. TM strikes again......
I think its a great idea actually, the line isn't going to do anything anyway, might as well keep all the under performing players together on one line

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:04 AM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
I think its a great idea actually, the line isn't going to do anything anyway, might as well keep all the under performing players together on one line
Hell if that's the case, then put Ivanans on the PP, PK, oh and let him play goalie over Quick... lol

Old
12-29-2009, 01:13 AM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

12/28/09 - Post Game - Kings

Kings Vision gives you exclusive interviews following every home game. Greene, Kopitar, and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 12/28/09.

Click HERE to watch!

12/28/09 - Post Game - Wild

Kings Vision gives you exclusive interviews following every home game. Schultz, Backstrom, and Coach Richards of the Wild spoke with the media following the game on 12/28/09.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:15 AM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsVision View Post
12/28/09 - Post Game - Kings

Kings Vision gives you exclusive interviews following every home game. Greene, Kopitar, and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 12/28/09.

Click HERE to watch!

12/28/09 - Post Game - Wild

Kings Vision gives you exclusive interviews following every home game. Schultz, Backstrom, and Coach Richards of the Wild spoke with the media following the game on 12/28/09.

Click HERE to watch!
Thanks Kings Vision.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:17 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I think it just comes down to a simple fact -- a few people tried to downplay the Kings' minimal goal differential when the Kings were in first place, but the fact of the matter is that the Kings built their winning record on the strength of one-goal wins.

A great record in one-goal games usually is a sign of good luck, and more often than not, luck does turn a few times during the course of the season.

Although I was impressed overall with the way the Kings played, and there's no doubt in my mind they outplayed Minnesota ... the fact is that the Kings lost the type of game they were winning a few weeks ago. The Kings were able to eke out a win in several games despite being outplayed back then, and now the reverse is happening.

I don't really blame anyone, I thought the Frolov-Handzus-Brown line in particular got a raw deal on the scoresheet despite playing pretty well. I've seen Quick play better, but he wasn't bad. Purcell wasn't bad on the first line, but it's just another case for Teddy where he has to get used to brand-new linemates, and it's going to take time to get the line on the same page.

Essentially this is a .500 team, playing .500 hockey. Their goal differential has showed that for some time, and now their record is starting to show it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

PANIC! PANIC!

Calm down people.

Kopitar isn't producing because all other teams need to do against him is double team and the threat of that line is neutralized. Purcell's not gonna score and Smyth is still coming off his injury.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:22 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Of course you would.

They both need to contribute if this team has any prayer of making the postseason, and both have been absent on the score sheet for far too long.
i don't argue that their top players need to start putting the puck in the net.

but the more popular the player, the more "snakebit" he becomes... Purcell sucks and Frolov loafs, remember.

Alex has clearly been busting his ass out there and not getting any booty. if Anze isn't nursing and injury, which i PRAY to God is, then the team is in serious trouble.

tonight i though Frolov, Purcell, Brown and Richardson were the best forwards up and down the ice all night, and Simmonds and Parse played a terrific third period.

right now, Smyth still looks sloppy and rusty, and it's going to take a few games to get going.

Anze Kopitar is simply the teams biggest trouble spot right now.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:24 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i don't argue that their top players need to start putting the puck in the net.

but the more popular the player, the more "snakebit" he becomes... Purcell sucks and Frolov loafs, remember.

Alex has clearly been busting his ass out there and not getting any booty. if Anze isn't nursing and injury, which i PRAY to God is, then the team is in serious trouble.

tonight i though Frolov, Purcell, Brown and Richardson were the best forwards up and down the ice all night, and Simmonds and Parse played a terrific third period.

right now, Smyth still looks sloppy and rusty, and it's going to take a few games to get going.

Anze Kopitar is simply the teams biggest trouble spot right now.
Or they got off a break playing against two teams sporting some of the best records in their last 10 games.

Phoenix is 6-2-2 in their last 10.
Minnesota is 7-3 on their last 10.

Calgary, by comparrison is 3-5-2 in their last 10 and about to fall out of the top 8. No one here is going to make the argument that Calgary is a bad team, but they certainly aren't playing their best right now.

We need more perspective on these games.

Kings spent both games chasing, but were never out of it. They get some more energy, communicate a little better, and it will turn around. Momentum is something that is huge in sports.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:25 AM
SFKingshomer

All this talk on Kopitar, yet his coach and I thought he played a dynamic game.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:28 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
All this talk on Kopitar, yet his coach and I thought he played a dynamic game.
It's because he's not always scoring. Kopitar hasn't been an offensive force since Smyth went down. Hell, that line hasn't been healthy since Smyth went down. Now they play without JW, so Kopitar and now Smyth have to adjust to a new linemate.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:31 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Or they got off a break playing against two teams sporting some of the best records in their last 10 games.

Phoenix is 6-2-2 in their last 10.
Minnesota is 7-3 on their last 10.

that happens, and they have to be prepared for that... as well as the fact that they ain't surprising anyone anymore. they're legit and their opposition knows it.

the Phoenix game was expected and tonight was a tough pill... Belly played one of the strongest games i've seen him play in a while and Koivu really neutered Handzus' offensive attack for the majority of the game... and Anze was... well as Anze has been since the middle of November.

you'll notice that the teams they are showing the greatest amount of success against lately *cough* Edmonton for instance *cough* are teams with an overall weak middle of the ice presence.

the Kings middle of the ice presence begins AND ends with Anze Kopitar... Jarett Stoll can't be their strongest pivot forever.

it's gonna take a week or so to see where they stand, part of the reason why i feel there is no real problem with leaving Purcell on the top line with Smyth and kopitar.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:34 AM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
It's because he's not always scoring. Kopitar hasn't been an offensive force since Smyth went down. Hell, that line hasn't been healthy since Smyth went down. Now they play without JW, so Kopitar and now Smyth have to adjust to a new linemate.
Dude, it's not really about Kopitar scoring goals, not right now. He has been playing some timid and entirely uninspired/ordinary hockey for the past few weeks. A little more creativity and jump in his game wouldn't hurt.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:40 AM
regulate

I was at the game and the crowd was pretty quiet until the Kings seemed to really start working hard in the third, and the building was loud for most of the period. The Belanger goal let the air totally out of the balloon. Although the Minnesota PP goal with the tip pass between Burnette legs was a beauty, I wonder if Frolov if being completely out of the play was a factor. I don't know if they showed it on TV, but a hard shot into the zone broke Fro's stick. He elected to skate to the Kings bench instead of play without his stick (farthest bench away from our defensive zone) and on top of that, skated to the very end of the bench to get "his stick", so by the time he even came close to getting back into the defensive zone, the puck was in the net. The play where he was in the slot on the rush directly between the dots with an outstanding opportunity for a quality shot and elected to pass (which was broken up) was classic, frustrating Frolov. Some of the fans where really on him.

The lines that played very well where Parse-Richardson-Simmonds, mostly with sheer determination, although Simmonds still looks a little tentative skating, and Frolov-Zues-Brown, particularly the Captain who was really on his game tonight. Segal was really physical (like his game), and Moller tried to stir up some energy. Ivanans took up space.

Now the first line. Smyth was fortunate he didn't get about 4 penalties called on him for hooking/holding, but he was driving hard the whole game. Kopi had a couple of decent rushes, but his timing is all out of whack, and the effort at times just doesn't seem to be where it should be. He is without a doubt a different player than he was earlier. Is he hurt? Does Lombardi need to call him out again in public to "inspire" his play? I was really rooting for Teddy tonight, and he made several good defensive plays, but he is not in sinc with the rest of the unit. It's almost like he has to think about what he is going to do (on offense), and then react. Hence, his shots and passes get partially blocked alot. The NHL is too fast for that. It's like he is afraid to make a mistake, too tentative. If he is going to make it, he needs to play without hesitation, and not be afraid to make mistakes for fear he will play himself out of a spot. If he does not, he will be done.

From an in-person perspective, the Havlet and last Belanger goal were nice shots in the far corner. Kopitar lost the puck on the Havlet goal, not sure about the turnover on the Belanger game winning goal.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

I don't think if Frolov stayed on the ice after if his stick broke that the play would have changed, Johnsson had a wide open net and unless Frolov pulled him down he would have scored.

Brown I think is thinking too much when shooting, and because of this he's basically sucking ass when it comes to beating a goalie.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:50 AM
bland

As a side note, that PP goal can't be blamed on Frolov.

Quick received the soft dump in that broke Frolov's stick - Frolov went to the becnh as Quick had clear, uncontested control with two open defensemen as outlets.

Quick blindly threw a backhanded pass to the boards where he thought Frolov would be, past the open defenseman to his left. If he had taken a second to look, he could have made a couple of other plays for an easy clear. Just a bad set of circumstances.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 02:17 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Frolov is the most frustrating player in the history the NHL. As Dean would say he's all sex no meat! The guy could score 40 goals 50 even. If he just shoot the damn the puck. He's got so much skill but doesn't do anything of true value with it. It's madding

CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 02:34 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

JJ was horrible. Nice pinch after you just tied the game genius.

His +/- is so terrible because he isn't very smart. He looked lost on so many occasions tonight and a goal that was another wide shot does not make up for it.

He blew this game with that idiotic pinch.

On the other hand, Parse killed it tonight.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:22 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I'm quickly losing faith in this team.

I could go on and on about what happened to Kopitar, the injuries, coaching decisions, management decisions, etc. etc. But it boils down to the fact that this team isn't as good as we all thought they were in mid November, and definitely not as good as we thought they were in early December.

Can't really express how disappointed I am right now. I'm beginning to prepare myself for the inevitable, mid-March, "well, if we earn X points in the next X games, and X conference rival loses X amount of games, we should be able to sneak into that eighth spot" thought process.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote