HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JVR's Struggles

Old
12-29-2009, 11:28 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
JVR's Struggles

Does anyone else think that it might be a good idea to send him down for a little while? He's hit a massive rough patch with just one goal and one assist in his last 19 games. His ice time has been on a continuing downslide from 15-16 minutes to 10-11 minutes. The job he is doing on the 3rd line isn't helping him develop as a player, and that spot could be taken by someone else (Mika, Lappy). Right now the Phantoms are struggling with scoring as Chris noted with his recent article, and if JVR could get his confidence and scoring touch back in the AHL, he hopefully could come back to the NHL and show some of the offensive ability he had in the beginning of the season. Sort of the same thing as Giroux last year, but doing it mid-season instead of having him start off the season in the AHL. There are a whole lot of things that point to this being a good idea if you ask me. Thoughts?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Does anyone else think that it might be a good idea to send him down for a little while? He's hit a massive rough patch with just one goal and one assist in his last 19 games. His ice time has been on a continuing downslide from 15-16 minutes to 10-11 minutes. The job he is doing on the 3rd line isn't helping him develop as a player, and that spot could be taken by someone else (Mika, Lappy). Right now the Phantoms are struggling with scoring as Chris noted with his recent article, and if JVR could get his confidence and scoring touch back in the AHL, he hopefully could come back to the NHL and show some of the offensive ability he had in the beginning of the season. Sort of the same thing as Giroux last year, but doing it mid-season instead of having him start off the season in the AHL. There are a whole lot of things that point to this being a good idea if you ask me. Thoughts?
He's gone from how many games a season in college to a full NHL schedule?

This was bound to happen.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Sounds good to me. Give Maroon a little NHL ice time while we're at it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I hate to see it; the guy charged out of the gate looking like a seasoned veteran until the whole team started to stink.

I only wonder if being sent down would only crush his confidence more?

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's gone from how many games a season in college to a full NHL schedule?

This was bound to happen.
and most likely one of the bigger reasons holmgren didn't want him playing in college anymore, we need our young talent to be contributors with our cap problems, and this may have been forseen to an extent...

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Sounds good to me. Give Maroon a little NHL ice time while we're at it.
Maroon has played his way out of being a call up as of now...when you're a goal-scoring winger and you're not scoring goals in the AHL...

JVR has hit the wall to an extent, but he doesn't look out of place out there...I'm not sure why there is any need to send him down at this point. Let him work through it, and hopefully he'll catch a 2nd wind. The Olympic break should help him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maroon has played his way out of being a call up as of now...when you're a goal-scoring winger and you're not scoring goals in the AHL...

JVR has hit the wall to an extent, but he doesn't look out of place out there...I'm not sure why there is any need to send him down at this point. Let him work through it, and hopefully he'll catch a 2nd wind. The Olympic break should help him.
Fair enough. Nodl again, then?

Old
12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Nodl sucks
Why do people think this guy deserves more of a look?

I was going to bring it up but someone already did mention it. The college season consists of 35-40 games depending on tournaments ect so it doesnt shock me JVR has hit the wall production wise.
Add into it the pro game is much more physically demanding then the college game. Not sure what sending him to the AHL would accomplish honestly.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 12-29-2009 at 11:47 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Kaktus*

My only problem with JVR is that he does not look as strong as Richards or Carter did at that age.

Other then that, he is fine. No problem with a rookie with 4 GWG

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I think the best thing for JVR would be to have a controlled amount of icetime as he builds stamina in the NHL. The kid is a 2nd Overall pick, he needs to get stronger and play against real NHL players if he is going to bloom into something special. Power forwards are a little slower to develop anyway, and he is just 20 right now.

Sending him down, to me, would kinda set him back a bit. He isn't some late 1st Rounder who needs to develop against limited AHL talent, he is a top flight prospect who should work on his game against real NHL'ers. So what if he starts slow? The kid has 20pts in 35 games! That's way better then AHL talent level.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:53 AM
agrudez*

He hasn't looked bad with his ice time. He is still making smart plays, just not the same caliber he was earlier in the year.

I would contribute it to: (in this order)

Being a little worn out (hasn't he played almost as many games this season as a college season would give him? In rapid succession lately, as well, and against guys MUCH better, stronger, faster and meaner)

The rest of the team being brutal

Trying to learn a new system (has to be much harder on a rookie)

Playing 10 minutes a night, with no PP time

Having Asham and Powe as linemates (I mean, lets face it, Powe is now going out of his way to not rack up assists, haha.)

Sending him to the minors would be a mistake, imo.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
BringBackStevens

Sending him down will do nothing for him, he should continue to work through the NHL and continue to learn and get better. I would be on board with sending him down if he looked out of place at this level, but he has still played well even without the scoring. For his age he isn't a bad defensive player and most games he generates some good scoring chances. He's a rookie so streaks are to be expected both good and bad, and as the team (hopefully) starts putting it back together and pulling themselves out of this terrible scoring drought he should be putting up some better numbers.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
shaner89

Playing him with 2 plugs doesnt help.

When he was playing well he was playing a top 6 role like he should be

Poor coaching imo. You need to play players where they can succeed. This coach is not. Coach = fail

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post

Poor coaching imo. You need to play players where they can succeed. This coach is not. Coach = fail
We have 7 top 6 players, someone has to get bumped down. The rookie makes the most sense.

I agree that JVR should get a little more ice time and maybe some more time with the top guys, but on the other hand players earn their ice time and if he hasn't been putting up points then bumping him out of the top 6 makes some sense. When he turns it around in the production department he can easily be worked in for some more minutes out there.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
mm6492

I would keep him up and wait for the Olympic break. Hopefully afterwards he can catch a 2nd wind and get going again.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

He is just going through his bumps as a rookie. I think they should keep him up he is bound to snap out of it.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:24 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Having Asham and Powe as linemates (I mean, lets face it, Powe is now going out of his way to not rack up assists, haha.)
This.

Well, i have no problem with Powe as our third line center (he's doin a fine job for a role-player) but maybe someone like Legein, who is much more offensively-gifted, could be better suited as a complementary winger for JVR.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post

ok genius who do you take out our current top 6 to switch him with JVR?

I dont think JVR is ready for a everyday top 6 role at this point. He had been struggling playing on Carters line earlier this season and was struggling with Giroux as well.
i dont have a problem playing him somewhere on the bottom 6. He still brings some things to the table and can create some chances. He is a good defensive player and has not looked out of place at all.

Old
12-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I don't like to evaluate someone's struggles when the whole stinkin' team sucks. Everyone's trying to improve.

I say leave him up. He'll get a break with the Olympics coming up.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I made this same thread like 8ish games ago and kinda got killed. I agree with you. He's very up and down, definitely seems to have hit a wall. He could certainly be worse though. He's not a liability, he just isn't being his creative self.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:46 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
ok genius who do you take out our current top 6 to switch him with JVR?

I dont think JVR is ready for a everyday top 6 role at this point. He had been struggling playing on Carters line earlier this season and was struggling with Giroux as well.
i dont have a problem playing him somewhere on the bottom 6. He still brings some things to the table and can create some chances. He is a good defensive player and has not looked out of place at all.
Hartnell, please for the love of god, put him on the 3rd line where a stone-handed agitator deserves to be. I honestly think Asham has more stick skills than this idiot.

He deserves PP time so that he can screen a goalie, but in ES he is a tremendous liable on a line with people who have scoring talent.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Hartnell, please for the love of god, put him on the 3rd line where a stone-handed agitator deserves to be. I honestly think Asham has more stick skills than this idiot.

He deserves PP time so that he can screen a goalie, but in ES he is a tremendous liable on a line with people who have scoring talent.
the guy got 30 goals last season and is on pace for 20 plus this season.
not bad for a guy with "stone hands"
I like JVR but right now he shouldnt be on the top 6 over any of our current top 6 when healthy

Old
12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Fair enough. Nodl again, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Nodl sucks
Why do people think this guy deserves more of a look?
That was my point. You don't want to see Maroon, who do you want to see then....Matsumoto, Nodl, kalinski? We know what they are.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:17 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Legein?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Legein?
I guess him or Laliberte might make sense. The team could still use a little more scoring touch. Then again it sounds brain-damaged to say you're sending down JVR and calling up Laliberte because you need some scoring touch.