HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens Scouting Kings

Old
12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
cassius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I agree. My reasoning was giving up next to nothing to get him. This would be more along what Shero is looking for.
Yep, Smyth coming back from injury makes this trade all the more likely.

The Kings want to win now, so they can't afford to give Purcell top-6 playing time, but it's essentially useless to let him languish in the bottom 6.

I could see the Kings ditching Purcell and possibly loading up at the trade deadline with a big splash.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
clefty
What?

These are the worst kind of "rumors." A team is scouting another team: Trade coming?

I bet every team has scouted every other team in the league.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
An unproven RFA for a playoff push, sure it would not be some kind of veteran or more proven player on a down slide?

A cheap (salary & cheap to acquire) wiger who can potentially turn into a winger who can consistently produce with Malkin & Sid on a nightly basis.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
When I look around, I see one player who is young enough and skilled enough who comes very cheap, is Poni. He is my choice over all others in my mind and if Selanne would drop his NTC and came here would be my first over Poni. The biggest difference is that they have a better chance of retaining Poni on July 1st.

So if anyone would ask me, Poni would be my pick at the deadline and for our UFA signing for next year. Just makes too much sense.IMO
what do you think it would cost to get him?

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:11 PM
ComplianceBuyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post

ComplianceBuyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post

A cheap (salary & cheap to acquire) wiger who can potentially turn into a winger who can consistently produce with Malkin & Sid on a nightly basis.
They could potentially lose in the first round because of this trade with his inexperience. What was wrong with Kopitar, Brown, Smyth, Frolov and so on. I know they are not Malkin or Crosby, but in the end all those players can't make him a scoring machine, it is up too him to make his own stats & stardom.

I just don't think a playoff push is time for experiments. Can you prove he will score on Malkin's & Crosby's wing consistently, is there anything other than his personal bodily stats of his size and right handed shot that will confirm this?

Cheap salary & cheap to acquire is not all that is needed, they need experience and production on the wing for the playoffs and he has neither. At that point they could just bring up Caputi, Cheaper and costs them no assets.

You have too clear a roster spot for him by waiver or trade and to send him down if he doesn't work out he'll have to go on waivers to bring in his replacement. ...So who goes for him to fit in under the roster requirements and does he make it through waivers if he doesn't work out to go down to WBS?

If its not a high percentage sure thing, why would he go for and experiment project at this point in the season? Either way he will cost a roster player that has been doing better than him unless Max is waived or traded away. Unlikely.

At the moment, Ted is a third liner, I think thats covered.

Bourque was there experiment this year, hes gone now and they still have to carry 194,000 on the cap for it. It maybe cheap to get him but he could cost them way more if he doesn't work out. Not as cheap as you think it is.

This is an off season trade.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Why do people assume Ponikarovsky would be cheap? He's a proven 50-60 point winger who's south of 30. Somebody said he's more of a third liner which makes no sense to me. He's closer to a first liner than he is to a checker.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Why do people assume Ponikarovsky would be cheap? He's a proven 50-60 point winger who's south of 30. Somebody said he's more of a third liner which makes no sense to me. He's closer to a first liner than he is to a checker.
Because its apparently cool to make fun of the Toronto Maple Leafs.. like that mediocre Nik Antropov who has done absolutely nothing in Atlanta - oh wait..

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
JTG

Toronto players get underrated because they are constantly being way overrated by their fanbase. Toronto fans last year were talking about multiple assets for Antropov (most including legitimate NHL prospects and high draft picks). They got a 2nd round pick. Every fanbase overrates their own, but Toronto and Montreal are the worst.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
A 2nd and maybe a mid level prospect.

Old
12-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Ponikarovsky is more of what we have. He may be the best of what we have already, but that doesn't change the fact he's not a shooter and he's not a guy you can rely on for goal-scoring. If we didn't have Chris Kunitz already, yeah I'd want Ponikarovsky. But otherwise, the guy is really really streaky with points and is by no means a shooter.

Teemu Selanne, or players like him, is what we need. Something we absolutely don't have.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Ponikarovsky is more of what we have. He may be the best of what we have already, but that doesn't change the fact he's not a shooter and he's not a guy you can rely on for goal-scoring. If we didn't have Chris Kunitz already, yeah I'd want Ponikarovsky. But otherwise, the guy is really really streaky with points and is by no means a shooter.

Teemu Selanne, or players like him, is what we need. Something we absolutely don't have.
Yes......and yes, The only thing I feel is that Poni could be that winger for Malkins line unless you feel Kunitz can play for both lines. Other than Teemu, there really is no one out there as far as a pure sniper and we most likely will not get him.

Old
12-29-2009, 10:28 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I'm not sure why some people are so against Tkachuk around here. I'd be okay with Nolan as a rental but would prefer Tkachuk:

Owen Nolan - RW
Games Played - 35
Goals - 9
Assists - 7
Cap hit – $2.75m

Keith Tkachuk - LW/C
Games Played - 36
Goals - 8
Assists - 13
Cap hit – $2.15m

Tkachuk is also good at faceoffs which would help on Geno's line. Nolan is a righty though and some people will drool over that
Wow...

I was just spitballing about Tkachuk, but now that you put some numbers down, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad move. Especially after a game like tonight where someone like Tkachuk would be throwing chairs in the locker room.

Something tells me that the Pens could use a little more of that type of "Oh my God, I think he might kill us" attitude in the locker room. We had that with G-Rob.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
Wow...

I was just spitballing about Tkachuk, but now that you put some numbers down, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad move. Especially after a game like tonight where someone like Tkachuk would be throwing chairs in the locker room.

Something tells me that the Pens could use a little more of that type of "Oh my God, I think he might kill us" attitude in the locker room. We had that with G-Rob.
We won the Cup AFTER Roberts left. Just saying.

Look, I don't think leadership is at all an issue with this team. If anything, we have more of it this year with Michael Rupp, and we have more snarl on the ice too.

We're missing skill on the wings...we never replaced either Sykora or Satan from last year. They didn't do a lot last season, but just enough. Some added skill on the wings would make us unbeatable once more, imo.

Old
12-29-2009, 10:45 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
We won the Cup AFTER Roberts left. Just saying.

Look, I don't think leadership is at all an issue with this team. If anything, we have more of it this year with Michael Rupp, and we have more snarl on the ice too.

We're missing skill on the wings...we never replaced either Sykora or Satan from last year. They didn't do a lot last season, but just enough. Some added skill on the wings would make us unbeatable once more, imo.
I'm with you on this, but as Shero taught us last year, you can't have enough seasoned vets on one team.

I think Tkachuk would help the scoring in the top 6 situation and also provide even more veteran leadership to a group that while they are the defending champs are still pretty young for the most part.

Point taken though...

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Ponikarovsky is more of what we have. He may be the best of what we have already, but that doesn't change the fact he's not a shooter and he's not a guy you can rely on for goal-scoring.
Not saying I'm clamouring for Poni, but he is at the high end of what we can expect, and its almost impossible to get a guy like him for next season in terms of the cap.
If you want a shooter who scores more goals than Poni, then he will be expensive, because Poni is now legitimately a big bodied 50-60 points player who gets 20+ goals a season and plays good D and provides net presence.

He is pretty much what Malone was when on Malkin's wing, same size almost to the pound, and if that package isn't something we need over a guy like Dupuis on the top6, then I don't know...

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Not saying I'm clamouring for Poni, but he is at the high end of what we can expect, and its almost impossible to get a guy like him for next season in terms of the cap.
If you want a shooter who scores more goals than Poni, then he will be expensive, because Poni is now legitimately a big bodied 50-60 points player who gets 20+ goals a season and plays good D and provides net presence.

He is pretty much what Malone was when on Malkin's wing, same size almost to the pound, and if that package isn't something we need over a guy like Dupuis on the top6, then I don't know...
There is virtually no grit in Ponikarovsky's game, though. Has he even played in ANY NHL playoff contests? Yeah he's huge, but to compare him to Malone is just wrong. Michael Rupp is a lot closer to Malone than Ponikarovsky ever will be.

If we're moving significant assets, and with Brian Burke, you KNOW we would have to, I want something we absolutely need...not just another upgrade of what we already have. Because as good as he is, we don't even know if Ponikarovsky is better than Fedotenko when push comes to shove in the spring.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
I'm with you on this, but as Shero taught us last year, you can't have enough seasoned vets on one team.

I think Tkachuk would help the scoring in the top 6 situation and also provide even more veteran leadership to a group that while they are the defending champs are still pretty young for the most part.

Point taken though...
I am actually of the belief that you CAN have too much veteran leadership...if it means you're not quick enough to compete with the fastest teams in the East. Look at Carolina this season. Does anyone have more experience? Nope.

I am not saying adding a Tkachuk would turn us into a lottery team, but what I'm saying is we have enough experience, Cup winners, grit, pugnacity, playoff-proven and playoff-ready performers on this team.

We need some kill on the wings.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
There is virtually no grit in Ponikarovsky's game, though.
So he doesn't fight. Don't we have enough who do? He doesn't quit on all that many plays and he leads the Leafs forwards in hits with 81... second overall on the team. Its also more than any top6 forward on the Pens.

Quote:
Yeah he's huge, but to compare him to Malone is just wrong. Michael Rupp is a lot closer to Malone than Ponikarovsky ever will be.
You mean besides the scoring, playmaking qualities and top6 pedigree? That's just bizarre mate. Rupp is a career bottom 6'er experiencing an out of body goal scoring season.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I'm just not a Ponikarovsky guy. Sorry. I just wouldn't trust that he would go into the dirty areas to score goals at crunch time. I KNOW Max Talbot does it. But I am not convinced Ponikarovsky wants it badly enough. I may be mistaken, who knows.

I'd rather a guy who doesn't have to be in the dirty areas to unleash a shot that can help us way more. Ponikarovsky is another guy that would have to rely heavily on either Sid or Geno to score. Not somebody who can create scoring chances on his own.

I believe THAT is what's missing from our roster.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I'm just not a Ponikarovsky guy. Sorry. I just wouldn't trust that he would go into the dirty areas to score goals at crunch time. I KNOW Max Talbot does it. But I am not convinced Ponikarovsky wants it badly enough. I may be mistaken, who knows.

I'd rather a guy who doesn't have to be in the dirty areas to unleash a shot that can help us way more. Ponikarovsky is another guy that would have to rely heavily on either Sid or Geno to score. Not somebody who can create scoring chances on his own.

I believe THAT is what's missing from our roster.
Unfortunately, that will cost more than they can come up with or be willing to give up what is needed to get that player.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
I'm just not a Ponikarovsky guy.
That's OK, no need for reasons on that account . Those you give just aren't sensible though.

1: He has no grit. He leads all forward in hits on his team and has more than any top 6 player on the Pens.
2: He would rely heavily on Sid or Crosby to score: He led Toronto in points last year (more than all Pens players sens Malkin and Crosby) and is one point off Stajan to lead Toronto forwards again this year. With Antropov last season, and Matt Stajan and Grabovksi this season as the two top centers.

Quote:
I'd rather a guy who doesn't have to be in the dirty areas to unleash a shot that can help us way more.
I think you underrate his shot, and most of his game. But I have players I don't particularly like - or rate as high as stats and accomplishments suggest I should - too.

Come clean though, your real issue is that he shoots left, right ?