HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

Old
12-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
Both 3 and 4 are about the same skillwise, the better performing one will get more ice time, that is their reward.

Sergei was playing well last night, better than I've seen him play with Gomez. I don't think he operates at a sophisticated enough level to play alongside Gomez, but when he's able to be on a line where he is more in charge of generating offence (like with 2 stiffs, like Lapierre, Dagger or MAB) he seems to make more stuff happen. He coulda easily had 2 goals last night on that "4th line", and they were rewarded by JM with more ice time than the invisible "3rd line".

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I don't know why Martin loves the Pacioretty - Metro - Moen line but I hate it!!!
Based on what? Some nights it's been our best line. The other nights, these 3 guys have been far from the worst people on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Based on what we saw this season so far. I see a progression in MaxPac play and i have no doubt Metro helps him lot. Lapierre has been struggling so far this season, he's not the center that will help MaxPac.

One more reason, when Gionta was injured, Pacioretty played with Metro and Gomez on the powerplay.

I rather see a veteran like Metropolit who is very intelligent on the ice and have some offensive skill to play with Sergei and MaxPac and help them.
I agree. I like Metro with Patches for this exact reason. I don't trust Lapierre with Patches. Patches has nobody to learn from on that line. Keep Lapierre on the 4th the way he's playing with Bergeron and Moen. Let him prove he deserves to be pushed up.

On another note, I was really impressed with the Gomez, Gionta, Pouliot line last night. If Pouliot keeps up what he did last night, he'll be an ace. I can't choose two better players on this team than Gomez and Gionta to teach him how to play. I thought to myself during the game that if this is who we got for Latendresse, where the hell has Pouliot's play been? I wouldn't have traded him for Latendresse even for a second after seeing Pouliot play last night and what he has to offer. His ceiling is so much higher than Guillaume's. The fact that he's a 4th overall pick is exciting based on potential alone after seeing him yesterday.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Habsbobabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I think it's dumb to have SKost play on line 4. Not saying he deserves to have a top 6 role, but if he's playing limited minutes, what's the point? To keep Andrei happy?
I wouldn't say 12:38 is limited minutes for him on the fourth line

Habsbobabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Gomer with 6 pts in the last 3 games and 8 pts in the last 6 games.

He's also been very consistent, aside from his slump in Nov where he was pointless in 6 games, only one other time this year has he gone more then 1 game without getting a point.

His worst season stats wise, was his 3rd in the NHL, '01-'02 76-10-38-48 -4

So he's on pace for his worst season stats wise, but has picked it up of late. I think part of the problem is that people look at his one great year in '05-'06 82-33-51-84 +8 That was the only time he scored more then 19 goals in his NHL career. He's averaged around 15 goals the last 3 seasons, with 10 being the least amount of goals he's had in a season.

15 goals seems to be around his average (without doing the math) if you take out his one big year. So the offense comes from his assists. The last 4 years he's been in the 40's and 50's, only once in his career did he finish with under 42 assists, in '01-'02 he had 38.

So despite his insane contract, Gomez is a guy that usually gets you around 15 goals and between 40-50 assits. He's been in the 58-70 pt range the last 3 years, before the lockout he was in the 48 to 70 range. So only once did he break 70 points in his NHL career.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Markov4Captain

I really like the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line. It's such a relief to see that the Habs might have (finally) a second scoring line. I'm sure that they could have got more goals last night, but Gionta was a bit rusty, so his "timing" was a bit off, as he said himself. I just hope that these two scoring lines, can work, but most importantly, in the same time. It would make the lives of our opponents so much harder. As for the third and fourth lines, i do tend to realize that whenever JM decides to start a game splitting the 3Ms up, by the second period, he decided to put them together again.

Markov4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
I would do this:

Patches - Laps - SK
MAB - Metro - Moen
ya right! lappy should get a promotion over metro. good one! do you watch any games??

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
ya right! lappy should get a promotion over metro. good one! do you watch any games??
A little late there... but I agree. Metro at least gives that line some offensive punch. I think Skost should play with them instead of Moen because Patches and Skost played well together.

Patches Metro Skost
Bergeron Lapierre Moen

Both defensively responsible but the third line can produce some offense... and the fourth line can provide more grit

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
A little late there... but I agree. Metro at least gives that line some offensive punch. I think Skost should play with them instead of Moen because Patches and Skost played well together.

Patches Metro Skost
Bergeron Lapierre Moen

Both defensively responsible but the third line can produce some offense... and the fourth line can provide more grit
agree 100%

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 04:04 PM
la25ecoupe

Mab != grit

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Lapierre? He just isn't hungry enough, imo

Bring up Ben Maxwell

Just throwing that out there...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
BigTime

Quote:

Patches Metro Skost
Bergeron Lapierre Moen

i agree completly here, with Dago and Laraque sitting you still have decent players on the side to rely on

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
linp

Quote:
Mab != grit
I think there is something wrong in MAB's brain. When he plays forward, he is hitting and checking with a lot of heart. When he plays defense, he is super timid and gets pushed around along the board and in the crease.
I do believe that Pouliot is a good fit for Gomez's line. He has size and long reach. He can forecheck and fight for the puck in the offensive zone. He needs to develop better chemistry and passes the puck better. Although SK is a better passer but is less dynamic compared to Pouliot.

linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Kafka

I like the top two lines, although I feel S.Kostitsyn should be given better linesmates.

Lapierre is obviously absent this season, so he should be kept on a checking line with Bergeron at this point.

But one move I would like to see is this the following: send Patioretty to the AHL for a month (to let Guy Boucher transform the guy into a superstar), and give a try to Trotter. I feel that Patioretty has not improved in the last year, and this problem needs to be adressed rapidly.

The third and fourth lines would then look like:

S.Kostitsyn - Metropolit - Trotter
Bergeron - Lapierre - Moen

I like having SK on the left side, specially with Metropolit who is a right handed at center. Trotter could learn a lot from those two, and contribute offensively.

My two cents. Jacques, please send me a PM for more advices.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:00 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
I'd rather

Patches-Metro-SK
White-Lapierre-Moen

now thats a 4th line
+1

Would be one of the hardest lines in the league!

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
We need a 3rd line center at the trade deadline.
STEVE OTT

...sorry it had to come out.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Patches Metro Skost
Bergeron Lapierre Moen

And honestly, I think it brings us closer to Bob's overall vision of where people's roles should evolve. I'm pretty sure Bob was hoping for a reliable 4th line grit guy in Moen (who could play 3rd line if no one else stepped up), and that most expected S.Kost to become a permanent mainstay on the "3rd" line at worst by the end of this season. Once Bergeron stops pretending to be a forward and that final wing position gets locked down, that's not a bad lineup... although someone is going to have to take over for Metro before very long, and I don't think anyone currently in the organization is going to be capable of a similar impact/contribution within the next 1, 2 years.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:53 PM
prevail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I think you are alone on this one. When the Habs traded for Pouliot, they already had in mind to put him in the top 6 and they intended to give him every chances to succeed. I think they made it clear at the press conference. Also its easy to see that Pouliot's ceiling is waaay higher than SK's.
Maybe I am, but I don't care, just not impressed by Pouliot yet and I like Sergei, last thing I wanna see is a snake bitten Pouliot on the 2nd line while SK is playing on 3rd line or worse...4th line. As for Sergei's ceillings, I don't think it's that far off from Pouliot, but I'll be honest, I haven't watched Pouliot's game enough to be able to tell what kind of player he really is

If I would've said last year that Halak will be head to head with Price, you guys would all laugh, things are very unpredictable when it comes to youngsters.

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:07 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Mab != grit

now thats nerdy

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Metropolit - Kostitsyn

D'Agostini, Laraque

Markov - O'Byrne
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gill - Gorges

Mara

Halak - Price

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Metropolit - Kostitsyn

D'Agostini, Laraque

Markov - O'Byrne
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gill - Gorges

Mara

Halak - Price
Your forwards are perfect. THat's exactly how I'll do it.

O'Byrne is not giving me any confidence whatsoever that even with Markov, he's to be trusted for a whole lot of minutes. Gorges has to be in my top 4. I'd have Spacek (even though he's dissapointing me a lot) with Markov hoping he'd feed from him. Hammer with Gorges, Gill and O'Byrne or Mara. I'd sit O'Byrne real soon though. Time to give the kid some time to breath.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

O'Byrne is not giving me any confidence whatsoever that even with Markov, he's to be trusted for a whole lot of minutes. Gorges has to be in my top 4. I'd have Spacek (even though he's dissapointing me a lot) with Markov hoping he'd feed from him. Hammer with Gorges, Gill and O'Byrne or Mara. I'd sit O'Byrne real soon though. Time to give the kid some time to breath.
Markov being paired with O'Byrne doesn't mean O'Byrne plays that many minutes. That's just where he suits up. The way Martin plays, after we kill a penalty he always puts Markov with Spacek out there. It's O'Byrne, Gorges, Gill and Markov on the penalty kill (Hamrlik when he gets healthy?). Anyways, O'Byrne logs most of his minutes there. He won't be with Markov whenever Markov is on the ice.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

O'Byrne is not giving me any confidence, at all. But he's going to play the least minutes, with Gill (I hope) of any defenseman we have.

O'Byrne's problems can be covered up most by Markov OR Hamrlik, however, I like the Hamrlik/Spacek pairing more than the Markov/Spacek pairing.

There is 120 minutes to chew up by defenseman. In a non-penalty world, ideally, I'd want Markov & Hamrlik around 25 minutes per game (total - 50). I'd want Spacek and Gorges to chew up another 20 each (total: 90). This leaves 15 minutes each for Gill and O'Byrne (total: 120). Of course, that's going to adjust accordingly to penalties, but I never want to see Gill OR O'Byrne over 18 minutes unless we run into more injury problems. You can also knock off a few minutes from wherever for Bergeron when he's on the PP.

I prefer Mara to both Gill and O'Byrne. Gill is a great PKer, but he's useless elsewhere. Mara can man the point on the PP if absolutely needed, he's a decent PKer, and is somewhat more mobile at ES, however, due to Mara being an UFA and the other two being here in the future (especially O'Byrne), I see the minutes going to them.

I also think that O'Byrne is getting poor treatment on the ice being paired with Bergeron. He's not great, mind you, but pairing him with Bergeron is probably forcing him to make decisions quicker, which he really isn't ready for.

By the way, I want to put Gorges with Markov - but I'm more scared of an O'Byrne/Gill or Gill/Mara or Mara/O'Byrne pairing than having a solid defenseman like Gorges take one of them and Markov take the other.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

Markov -Spacek
Hamrlik - Gorges
Gill - O'Byrne

thats what I'd like the pairings to be ,as the first two pairings should be good both on offense and d .
while the 3rd would be more of the defensive shut down pair that gets 15 minutes a game or less.

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:12 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Byrne View Post
Markov -Spacek
Hamrlik - Gorges
Gill - O'Byrne

thats what I'd like the pairings to be ,as the first two pairings should be good both on offense and d .
while the 3rd would be more of the defensive shut down pair that gets 15 minutes a game or less.
You guys have the Gill - Gorges pairing all wrong. Gorges isn't in the 3rd pairing because he's worse than O'Byrne, he's there to balance out not only the pairings (Gill - O'Byrne = 2 pylons = horrible idea) but also to spread out the skill level. With gorges is our #4 D-man and rather than have a crap ass 3rd pairing we put Gorges there to bolster it.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta has chemistry and played very well last night, at moments showed signs of greatness! I think that we have finally waken up Gomez now that his ''pal'' is back from shopping ;-)

New line combos:

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Metropolit - Moen
Bergeron - Lapierre - Kostitsyn

Laraque

Markov - Spacek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gill - Gorges

Mara

Price
Halak

This would also be my "all healthy" line-up, although I think that Martin prefers Mara to O'Byrne.

Also, I would use Spacek/Hamrlik as a shutdown pairing whenever we play a team with one (or more) of the 10 best snipers in the league on them. They did a spectacular job on Ovechkin after all.

But when playing against a team with out such a top sniper, I'd go with your lines and defense precisely as they are.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote