HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pre-Game Meal

Old
12-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Vote for Rory

vCash: 500
Pre-Game Meal

So I have been noticing a difficulty lately feeling energized before playing a hockey game, and I can't figure out the best way to change it. One game I will feel like I can go all night, while others, I can't get my feet moving right off the bat. A lot of energy drinks seem to be very popular, but I have never really been a fan of them.

Does anybody have any suggestions as far as good meals to eat before games? I've always heard pasta is good to have before. Is there a certain amount of hours before the game I should be eating? It's the worst feeling in the world when to step on that ice and you have no energy, it's been very frustrating lately.

Any help or maybe a link to a website or something would be great! thanks!

Vote for Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Depends if it's a morning game I eat pasta the night before, and something light like a banana or cereal when I wake.

If it's a night game I eat pasta in the EARLY afternoon and then a banana right before the game. I hate energy drinks and power bars. Go natural...

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:12 PM
TheOtter

I've recently started to make sure that I'm done with dinner at least 3 hours before game time, and that has helped me a lot. For me, it doesn't seem to matter what I eat (as long as it isn't hard on the stomach, of course).

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
CanadaBacon

Banana and walnuts in the dressing room.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Best for me is a salad with chicken and dressing several hours beforehand...anything a few hours before the game and I get a bit sick. I actually had great energy eating under 20 carbs per day a couple months back, but it's too difficult to stick with during the holidays.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Frankie Spankie

Heh, I find it interesting that a lot of people eat bananas, I'm the same. Always a banana before a game and maybe an orange or some other fruit.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
Heh, I find it interesting that a lot of people eat bananas, I'm the same. Always a banana before a game and maybe an orange or some other fruit.
For me, apples keep me energized

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:09 PM
ElephantCart

for me it's a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, a couple hours beforehand, works every time. i'm no nutritionist but i'm pretty sure all the major food groups are in there.

ElephantCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote for Rory View Post
So I have been noticing a difficulty lately feeling energized before playing a hockey game, and I can't figure out the best way to change it. One game I will feel like I can go all night, while others, I can't get my feet moving right off the bat. A lot of energy drinks seem to be very popular, but I have never really been a fan of them.

Does anybody have any suggestions as far as good meals to eat before games? I've always heard pasta is good to have before. Is there a certain amount of hours before the game I should be eating? It's the worst feeling in the world when to step on that ice and you have no energy, it's been very frustrating lately.

Any help or maybe a link to a website or something would be great! thanks!
I'm good everytime I play and it isn't really what I eat but how much.

I eat light. A heavy meal is a guarantee one will be tired and feeling like taking a nap.

As for pasta .... well it is high carb and that is good more for guys who play everyday with practice as well as they do not have body fat like beer leaguers do.

I think people need to remember that your body stores fat to use during physical activity which is stored carbs and other caloric intake.

Just eat a light dinner on game day .... even the pros use that. I eat an hour and a half to two hours before playing and i am still out there playing after others 25 to 35 have headed to change into their street clothes because they are pooped and I am over 40.

By the way these energy drinks they sell are sugar and caffeine .... if it works for you fine but they don't for me. I feel like crap out there with lots of caffeine in me .... I drink a coffee about 2 hours before playing with said light meal.

I tried playing with caffeine earlier this year after reading it in here and swore I would never do it again. The heart rate was too much and i felt out of breath more than anything and needed shorter shifts.

I'm sure it would NOT be the same for everyone so try different things out.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Sens4lyf

Ya, dont drink energy drinks before the game, because you will most likely have a good sugar rush, and fall on your ass soon after. And most importantly, energy drinks can actually hurt your body if you consume it after EVERY game. Caffeine in general is not great, and water is always good. Anyhoosal, i usually eat a normal lunch, and i feel good before the game.

Sens4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
anything with alot of Potassium is great to have before a game.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
pfloyd75

I had a similar problem- I would feel great some games and other games I would feel dead after the first period. After some experimenting with different meals and times before games I found that the food I ate didn't matter so much as the amount of water I drank. Drinking lots of water before games has made the biggest difference for me personally when it comes to energy and stamina. The importance of hydration cannot be understated.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

had a huge burger with sweet potato fries before the game yesterday. totally worth it until i got on the ice.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
I had a similar problem- I would feel great some games and other games I would feel dead after the first period. After some experimenting with different meals and times before games I found that the food I ate didn't matter so much as the amount of water I drank. Drinking lots of water before games has made the biggest difference for me personally when it comes to energy and stamina. The importance of hydration cannot be understated.
That makes sense since I also drink lots of water, I carry a large water bottle around all day with me wherever I go. It also speeds up the metabolism so I don't get fat.

Several NHL guys who are older guys swear drinking water a lot keeps their metabolism up so they can keep in good game shape.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Here's a good article from the March 2009 edition of USA Hockey Magazine on a wide variety of topics regarding nutrition.

"You Are What You Eat" <- link
A Guide To Living Right, Eating Right and Playing The Right Way
By: Stacy Kennedy

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Avery4Byng*

A six pack.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Happy Pony

My games are at night, but I'm usually up early so here's what I eat throughout the day.

Breakfast: egg whites and whole wheat toast with jam. 12 oz bottle of water.

Lunch: Small serving of pasta and vegetables. 12 oz bottle of water.

Dinner (approx. 3 hours before game time): small salad with grilled chicken and almonds or tuna sandwich with spinach leaves. 12 oz bottle of water.

Pregame snack: Banana (weird how a lot of other people do that) and 12 oz bottle of water.

Postgame I have a gatorade and usually a sandwhich. If I don't drink at least one bottle of gatorade before bed I wake up feeling awful. Tried water but it's not the same.

If I snack during the day it's green grapes or orange slices.

Too bad I don't eat this way every day.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
My games are at night, but I'm usually up early so here's what I eat throughout the day.

Breakfast: egg whites and whole wheat toast with jam. 12 oz bottle of water.

Lunch: Small serving of pasta and vegetables. 12 oz bottle of water.

Dinner (approx. 3 hours before game time): small salad with grilled chicken and almonds or tuna sandwich with spinach leaves. 12 oz bottle of water.

Pregame snack: Banana (weird how a lot of other people do that) and 12 oz bottle of water.

Postgame I have a gatorade and usually a sandwhich. If I don't drink at least one bottle of gatorade before bed I wake up feeling awful. Tried water but it's not the same.

If I snack during the day it's green grapes or orange slices.

Too bad I don't eat this way every day.
Bananas are high in potassium which everyone knows anyway .... it isn't just hockey players who eat them but any other sport where stamina is required as your muscles need the potassium.

I buy a lot of bananas and fortunately they are still the cheapest fruit to buy ... 39 cents a pound here and i am sure they are cheaper south from here, I am in Maine.

Old
12-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Bananas are high in potassium which everyone knows anyway .... it isn't just hockey players who eat them but any other sport where stamina is required as your muscles need the potassium.

I buy a lot of bananas and fortunately they are still the cheapest fruit to buy ... 39 cents a pound here and i am sure they are cheaper south from here, I am in Maine.
39 to 49 cents a pound for here in Ohio.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
My old HS coach used to tell us that a McDonald's cheeseburger was one of the best things you could eat before a game.

Ive found that hot foods ( buffalo sauce/ Franks red hot sauce) are terrible, they seem to always give me that hard cold air when you inhale. Pizza is bad too.

Ive always felt energy drinks are BS. Bananas and water FTW.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

It's funny to read these because I recently experimented with pre-game meals. I always ate a light pasta dish with grilled chicken or other carbs like bagels/breads, about two hours before hand. Sometimes I'd feel great sometimes not so much. The last three times I skated I ate Tacos, a Whopper with cheese, and Pasta. I felt great all when I ate the tacos and the Whopper and couldn't get going when I ate the pasta.
Very werid, I guess it varies from player to player.
I know that Marty Brodeur eats Pasta and grilled chciken before every game, and he's great. I also heard that Bobby Orr ate steak, and Gretzky used to eat hot dogs! I guess there really isn't an exact science for everyone, and probably a lot more than simply the meal factors into our performance on the rink!

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
CanadaBacon

Everyone ate steak back in Orr's day.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Everyone ate steak back in Orr's day.
It wasn't just the steak that made the difference, but what they ate with it. I'm sure they had a ton of carbs to go with all the protien from the steak, potatoes or some type of pasta. I'm sure they took the time to figure out what worked for them, no different than now.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote