HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid Season Top 20

Old
12-28-2009, 09:01 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The bet they also took is that he was going to be much bigger because of his family root. We have to wish he will 'cause he is really really light and thin. But on the hockey side, he was already impressive at the last dev. camp even if it was just a camp. Though most 09 were pretty good. Definately the best year as far as 1st impressions at a camp as far as I'm concerned.

One other thing I'm somewhat concerned....we did drafted centermen in 09 and while you never have too many good players whatever the position is, is Naatinen now a winger or is just for this Worlds? And now that Walsh is a winger in Dartmouth, we might see our centermen pool not as big as we once thought it could be because of that draft. And Cichy who's playing the wings when he's playing.
Bennett looked like he has a good frame when I saw him, so while he may not fill out like his other family members (here's to hoping he does!) we'll have to wait and see. Either way I love where he's at just as an overall. Should be fun seeing him and Pateryn on the same team (maybe even same pairing?)

As for centers, I'm sure they will draft more this summer, got one in the draft thread today that I just saw. Walsh I don't know if they will move back to center or not, but right now he's rail thin. Cichy looks good on the wing, not sure he would be a center at a higher level, he's got the vision and passing but he's got to get stronger imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Thanks for posting the list montreal. Can you give a little info on Dustin Walsh. He's one of our prospects that I've actually never heard of before.
He's a tall and lanky, was playing center on the 2nd line, was moved up to the top line but on the wing. Looks to have good hands, and vision but needs to fill out his frame. I've seen him take the body, but it doesn't look like it's going to be a big part of his game, at least at so far, perhaps when he fills out more. He moves well and seems to have good offensive skills but playing on a really bad team.

I think he's going to be a kid that flies under the radar for a couple years before we see we have a nice prospect on our hands. Granted he's got a lot of work ahead of him but I like it when you see a kid getting top line minutes, (plus PP time) as a freshman, then you know they stand to get a lot of valuable experience for a couple years before turning pro.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It's up on my site if you want to read it. Pacioretty is a grad, and I left Quailer off the list since he's out for the year.

Top 20

1. PK Subban
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Mac Bennett
4. Danny Kristo
5. Alexander Avtsin
6. Ryan White
7. Ben Maxwell
8. Yannick Weber
9. Tom Pyatt
10. Mathieu Carle
11. Maxim Trunev
12. Joonas Nättinen
13. David Desharnais
14. David Fischer
15. Cédrick Desjardins
16. Brock Trotter
17. Dustin Walsh
18. Joe Stejskal
19. Andreas Engqvist
20. J T Wyman

HM Andrew Conboy, Greg Pateryn, Gabriel Dumont
Other than Subban, this list does not get me all that excited.......it's kind of depressing.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Other than Subban, this list does not get me all that excited.......it's kind of depressing.
There's a clear lack of top end talent. I really like our top 5, we are seeing what Subban can do at the AHL, Leblanc is off to an impressive start in the NCAA for sure, Bennett could end up being a very good pick, Kristo is standout player in the NCAA as a freshman in the toughest conference in the NCAA, Avtsin is putting up numbers as an 18 year old in the KHL.

After that you have some interesting role players like White and Pyatt, plus some skilled guys like Maxwell, Weber, Carle, Desharnais, Trunev. Plus Quailer should be back next year, a big body for sure that moves well with good speed and hands.

No one is going to say the Habs have a top prospect pool, but they have some very interesting guys for sure, mixed with a large number of guys that if they progress could turn into something.

Old
12-28-2009, 09:22 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Seeing the draft positions we've had for the past years, what did you expect to see? It's not like we've **** the bed to get high draft picks like some other teams in the league.

BTW, great work like usual Dan, appreciate all of your time and effort you put into getting and keeping on top off the prospects.

loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:50 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Seeing the draft positions we've had for the past years, what did you expect to see? It's not like we've **** the bed to get high draft picks like some other teams in the league.

BTW, great work like usual Dan, appreciate all of your time and effort you put into getting and keeping on top off the prospects.
Considering the prospects we've graduated recently its a very good list.

I like White that high but why no mention of Niclas Torp? Solid D man who loves to hit! Not the upside of Joe Steskjal I know but still a good prospect.

Can we get excited about Avtsyn yet? Will Trunev want to play AHL next year? Jr?

If Quailer were ok he'd make the list where?

As for Fischer it takes longer for D, think of when Chara started to be put it all together.

InBobwetrust

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
Considering the prospects we've graduated recently its a very good list.

I like White that high but why no mention of Niclas Torp? Solid D man who loves to hit! Not the upside of Joe Steskjal I know but still a good prospect.

Can we get excited about Avtsyn yet? Will Trunev want to play AHL next year? Jr?

If Quailer were ok he'd make the list where?

As for Fischer it takes longer for D, think of when Chara started to be put it all together.

InBobwetrust
Torp I don't know if we will see him over here or not, plus it's going to be hard for someone his size to play that sort of physical game. I recall hearing the same things about Emelin when he was in his draft year, but he filled out his frame, whereas Torp has a smaller frame to begin with.

Stejskal is just as physical if not more, but he's got the frame, although he still needs to fill it out more. Plus he's very solid in his own end, blocking shots and clearing the crease, along with some offensive abilities as well.

Avtsin I love what I'm hearing and I was impressed with what I saw from him in the one game I saw. He's got a good frame to go with good hands/skating/speed, so there's a lot to like there. Hopefully he comes over, I will always have my doubts when it comes to us getting Russian players to come over and stay here, but it sounds like the chances are good that we see him over here next year.

Trunev I hope to see come over but I have much bigger doubts that we see him. I know his contract is up after this season so we'll see what happens. If they can get Avtsin to come over, it would be great timing to get Trunev to so they both could adjust to North America at the same time. He's not having a great year with Severstal, but I believe they are a big money team, so they likely can offer him a lot more then he'd make in Hamilton, which thus creates a problem. That said I don't think spending another 2 years in the KHL would hurt and he'd be 22, but at this point who knows what will happen.

If Quailer wasn't hurt he'd likely be in the top 10, I really like what I've seen from him, as he's got the size (6'4) but needs to fill out much more (210 or more would be nice) He's got the speed/skating, and he's got impressive hands. His defensive game seems ok but will need some work, and he has little physical game. So the big question becomes how will his offensive game translate to the pros. He's been redshirted so he can stay in the NCAA for up to 3 years not counting this year, so he'll have time to work on his game before hitting Hamilton. From there we'll start to see how effective he can be at a higher level, he's had a really good start to his NCAA career and it would have been interesting to see how he would do as a center on the top line, since that was the plan going into this season.

Not sure what Chara has to do with Fischer per say, other then them being defensemen. Fischer has a lot of the tools required to play in the NHL but he has to be able to show he can put it all together, if he can then I like his upside as a guy that is solid on the PK, can move the puck up ice with crisp passes, and gets the job done in his own end. But his lack of strength, a physical game, any sort of offensive game and the problems he runs into when pressured with the puck, are big concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post

Merci!

Old
12-30-2009, 08:51 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
It's up on my site if you want to read it. Pacioretty is a grad, and I left Quailer off the list since he's out for the year.

Top 20

1. PK Subban
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Mac Bennett
4. Danny Kristo
5. Alexander Avtsin
6. Ryan White
7. Ben Maxwell
8. Yannick Weber
9. Tom Pyatt
10. Mathieu Carle
11. Maxim Trunev
12. Joonas Nättinen
13. David Desharnais
14. David Fischer
15. Cédrick Desjardins
16. Brock Trotter
17. Dustin Walsh
18. Joe Stejskal
19. Andreas Engqvist
20. J T Wyman

Could you or anyone else please explain to me what Leblanc has done to be placed 2nd on this list ? Everytime i have seen him play which admittedly so has only been 2-3 times. I was not impressed to say the least.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:00 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Could you or anyone else please explain to me what Leblanc has done to be placed 2nd on this list ? Everytime i have seen him play which admittedly so has only been 2-3 times. I was not impressed to say the least.
He's got offensive skills for sure, he's having a great year in the NCAA, 2nd on his team in scoring, on a bad team. He was the rookie of the year in the USHL last year and should easily be on the All Rookie Team for the ECAC this year.

He skates well with good speed, plays a solid defensive game, is said to have great work ethic, I've heard he can be physical as he's been compared to Mike Richards, I've never seen that part of his game but I've only seen him play 4 times (3 USHL, 1 NCAA) but I should get both of next weekends games on tv as he faces off against David Fischer's team.

I was surprised that he didn't make Team Canada, so perhaps I'm overrating him, and while I wasn't overly impressed with him in the USHL games I saw, I really liked what I saw from him in his one NCAA game. (of course getting 2 points helps, especially his goal which was a blast over the goalies shoulder) I want to see him fill out more though, he's still very skinny from the looks of it, but I really like where he's at for an 18 year old. Not many holes in his game at all, which for someone that young, that's impressive imo. Then add in his offensive skills and you got yourself a good prospect for sure.

Old
12-30-2009, 09:21 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
He's got offensive skills for sure, he's having a great year in the NCAA, 2nd on his team in scoring, on a bad team. He was the rookie of the year in the USHL last year and should easily be on the All Rookie Team for the ECAC this year.

He skates well with good speed, plays a solid defensive game, is said to have great work ethic, I've heard he can be physical as he's been compared to Mike Richards, I've never seen that part of his game but I've only seen him play 4 times (3 USHL, 1 NCAA) but I should get both of next weekends games on tv as he faces off against David Fischer's team.

I was surprised that he didn't make Team Canada, so perhaps I'm overrating him, and while I wasn't overly impressed with him in the USHL games I saw, I really liked what I saw from him in his one NCAA game. (of course getting 2 points helps, especially his goal which was a blast over the goalies shoulder) I want to see him fill out more though, he's still very skinny from the looks of it, but I really like where he's at for an 18 year old. Not many holes in his game at all, which for someone that young, that's impressive imo. Then add in his offensive skills and you got yourself a good prospect for sure.
Great points, but IMO he is not ahead of Kristo nor Maxwell at this point. Keep us updated on his progress and great work on your site. Thanks

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Great points, but IMO he is not ahead of Kristo nor Maxwell at this point. Keep us updated on his progress and great work on your site. Thanks
Ok so what makes Kristo better then Leblanc? Maxwell I'd have higher but I'm not a huge fan of the way he plays and he's clearly not as productive as he was last year. The fact that we had all these injuries and he didn't even get a callup after getting one last year, is a concern as well imo.

Old
01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Ok so what makes Kristo better then Leblanc? Maxwell I'd have higher but I'm not a huge fan of the way he plays and he's clearly not as productive as he was last year. The fact that we had all these injuries and he didn't even get a callup after getting one last year, is a concern as well imo.
I know it's out of sight out of mind for Louis but seeing Kristo play against Canada jsut shot him ahead of Leblanc on my depth chart!

Kid looked great, love those quick hands. Dare I say the next Kessel?

Old
01-02-2010, 11:41 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
I know it's out of sight out of mind for Louis but seeing Kristo play against Canada jsut shot him ahead of Leblanc on my depth chart!

Kid looked great, love those quick hands. Dare I say the next Kessel?
I wouldn't have Kristo ahead of Leblanc, as Leblanc has higher offensive upside imo, as he plays a more complete game then Kristo who is more of a shooter and while his passing game is developing, Leblanc can do it all it appears. Plus while Kirsto's speed really helps him in his own end, it's a area he needs to work on for sure, whereas Leblanc already shows a very solid defensive game.

Both need to fill out more though, both are easily among our best prospects, so I'm glad we have both in the system as we could use some quality offensive forward prospects.

Old
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
GNick42

Was Mac Bennett's father Harvey Bennett who played in the NHL?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
InglewoodJack

I know Bennett has family who are former NHLers.
But to anyone who has seen him; does he have at least top 4 upside?
I'm pretty excited to see what he'll become.
Also, am I the only one who thinks that a very effective potential first (or second) line duo of Leblanc-Kristo would be pretty amazing?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Mtl6

You put Pateryn in your HM, what's happening with him? He must be injured because he hasn't played since december 5th. And he hasn't been dressed for every game in Michigan. Too many good defenseman or poor play?

And have you seen Cichy? 3 points in his first two games and then nothing...

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Was Mac Bennett's father Harvey Bennett who played in the NHL?
Havery Bennett son was Jim Bennett's, Mac's dad. Jim was drafted by the Atlanta Flames in the eighth round (No. 133) of the 1977 draft. Jim was the brother to Curt Bennett http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445400 and Havery Bennett Jr http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445405

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
Also, am I the only one who thinks that a very effective potential first (or second) line duo of Leblanc-Kristo would be pretty amazing?
I think he has top pairing upside but it's really early to say that as we'll have to see if his offensive game translates at a higher level.

As for Leblanc-Kristo, it would be something like Ribeiro-Ryder as you have a skilled center that can dish the puck with a sniper that likes to shoot. Not comparing them as players directly just putting in simple terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
You put Pateryn in your HM, what's happening with him? He must be injured because he hasn't played since december 5th. And he hasn't been dressed for every game in Michigan. Too many good defenseman or poor play?

And have you seen Cichy? 3 points in his first two games and then nothing...
I haven't heard if Pateryn is injured or not. I know that they are trying to shake things up as the team has been a major disappointment, which for one of the top programs in the NCAA, that's not going to fly. I know that they are happy with the play of Moffie the freshman D, so that could be part of the problem. When I saw him play this year, he didn't really stand out, but was more physical then I saw from him last year. Kids got a good frame, moves well and seems to have some good skills with the puck.

Cichy I've seen several times, he doesn't get any PP time and he is on the 4th line while being rotated in and out of the lineup. I like what I've seen him from and considered him and a few others for the HM spots cause it was really close. I really like the passing game of Cichy but his lack of strength will be a problem for him, next year I would think he'll play a bigger role and have more of an impact.

Old
01-04-2010, 10:48 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
After the draft I read about this kid and part of the thinking with him is that he's got good bloodlines and because his family is all tall and big he'll grow a bit.

Wasn't his grandfather the goalie that Rocket scored his 50th goal in 50 games on?

Leblanc - Kristo - Pacioretty try that trio in your future fantasy!

Then think about who we can draft this year to play with Avtsyn -Nattinen-???

Old
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
GNick42

Quote:

Top 20

1. PK Subban
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Mac Bennett
4. Danny Kristo
5. Alexander Avtsin
6. Ryan White
7. Ben Maxwell
8. Yannick Weber
9. Tom Pyatt
10. Mathieu Carle
11. Maxim Trunev
12. Joonas Nättinen
13. David Desharnais
14. David Fischer
15. Cédrick Desjardins
16. Brock Trotter
17. Dustin Walsh
18. Joe Stejskal
19. Andreas Engqvist
20. J T Wyman

You have Nattineen and Quailer much lower than Hockey News during the summer rankings. Have they had a bit of off season this year?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
neofury*

Much appreciated that you get us this info

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Mtl6

Quote:
Havery Bennett son was Jim Bennett's, Mac's dad. Jim was drafted by the Atlanta Flames in the eighth round (No. 133) of the 1977 draft. Jim was the brother to Curt Bennett http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445400 and Havery Bennett Jr http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445405

I think he has top pairing upside but it's really early to say that as we'll have to see if his offensive game translates at a higher level.

As for Leblanc-Kristo, it would be something like Ribeiro-Ryder as you have a skilled center that can dish the puck with a sniper that likes to shoot. Not comparing them as players directly just putting in simple terms.

I haven't heard if Pateryn is injured or not. I know that they are trying to shake things up as the team has been a major disappointment, which for one of the top programs in the NCAA, that's not going to fly. I know that they are happy with the play of Moffie the freshman D, so that could be part of the problem. When I saw him play this year, he didn't really stand out, but was more physical then I saw from him last year. Kids got a good frame, moves well and seems to have some good skills with the puck.

Cichy I've seen several times, he doesn't get any PP time and he is on the 4th line while being rotated in and out of the lineup. I like what I've seen him from and considered him and a few others for the HM spots cause it was really close. I really like the passing game of Cichy but his lack of strength will be a problem for him, next year I would think he'll play a bigger role and have more of an impact.
Thx montreal! But a can't seem to think that a prospect who isn't able to start all the games in his sophomore year will have any succes in the NHL, though I dunno if it happened in the past...

Old
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
You have Nattineen and Quailer much lower than Hockey News during the summer rankings. Have they had a bit of off season this year?
I left Quailer out of the rankings since he's out for the year and was set to play a new position. I can't say I am a big fan of Nattinen so far, I like that he has a big frame but not sure what to make of him just yet. Also while not really against him, the Habs have flat out sucked in drafting out of Finland sans Koivu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
Thx montreal! But a can't seem to think that a prospect who isn't able to start all the games in his sophomore year will have any succes in the NHL, though I dunno if it happened in the past...
I don't know what's going on at Michigan, I know they are not happy with the way the team is playing this year, it's been a real disaster but I don't know if Pateryn is sitting because of injury or they aren't happy with his play. Going into this year, they were stacked on D, so they moved one D up to forward, but with the freshman having such a good season, then ice time is even harder to come by. When I saw him play this year, I liked what I saw, so I put him in the HM, as he's got the frame and physical abilities, so there's several things to like about him.

Old
01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
LeMAD

I'm no expert, but I'm seeing Carle higher than Maxwell, Weber and Pyatt.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I'm no expert, but I'm seeing Carle higher than Maxwell, Weber and Pyatt.
It's possible, I have them all round the same, as I have the top 5 in one group, then the next 5 or so. White I really like how he plays, Pyatt has been really impressive in Hamilton, putting up much better numbers then he has in his first two years in the AHL. Maxwell is easy to overlook but still finds a way to get on the scoresheet, not a fan of the way the plays per say but the skill is there and he won't hurt you in his own end. Weber I like but I wonder about his size, he's made good strides in his defensive game with the Dogs and he's more physical but until recently he struggled in the offensive zone. Carle I am not a huge fan of, but he's got impressive vision, just needs to get stronger in his own end, I have had him behind Subban and Weber for some time and I don't think that has changed, despite Carle looking better in his NHL debut this year, while Weber struggled.

Old
01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Habs13

Hey montreal - could you tell me a bit about Conboy? How has he progressed etc. I see you gave him a HM.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Hey montreal - could you tell me a bit about Conboy? How has he progressed etc. I see you gave him a HM.
Yeah, and wouldn't it be better for him to be sent down to Cincinnati to pratice more his offense?