HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group A • Dec. 29 • Latvia 1, United States 12

View Poll Results: Will the Americans score 10 (or more) goals?
Yes 31 58.49%
No 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2009, 09:10 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
That was Kristo's MO when he played for Omaha in the USHL. I had the opportunity to watch him in person a number of times, and he never seemed to involve his teammates at all. Tons of individual talent...but just couldn't get out of that "tunnel vision" you mentioned. His teammate with Omaha, Louis Leblanc, is the real deal, however.
Kristo runs the point on the top PP unit for North Dakota, so they are working with him to get him to use his teammates more, it's been working so far. But he's a shooter and he's going to shoot the puck a lot from anywhere and everywhere at any time.

Have you seen much of Cedar Rapids this year? Just wondering what you think of Jeff Costello and Derek Deblois. Saw them once to get a look at Mac Bennett, and thought they played well, not sure where they rank for the draft among other USHL kids like Yasin Cisse.

Old
12-30-2009, 09:12 AM
v-man

Was a bit surprised it got as high as it did. The Latvian's kind of let up at the end of the game. It could have easily been 7-4 at one point, the Latvian's just couldn't get the puck in the net despite many good chances. Kalnins didn't play as bad as the score indicates, he just didn't get much help at all from the guys in front of him. It's frustrating to watch these guys floating all the time. Someone should teach them to skate and hustle every once in a while. Will be interesting to see if they do another abrupt turnaround in the relegation round, but somehow I doubt it. This years team ain't good enough.

Old
12-30-2009, 09:16 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Kristo runs the point on the top PP unit for North Dakota, so they are working with him to get him to use his teammates more, it's been working so far. But he's a shooter and he's going to shoot the puck a lot from anywhere and everywhere at any time.

Have you seen much of Cedar Rapids this year? Just wondering what you think of Jeff Costello and Derek Deblois. Saw them once to get a look at Mac Bennett, and thought they played well, not sure where they rank for the draft among other USHL kids like Yasin Cisse.
There is nothing wrong with shooting a ton when you are a shooter. The problems I see are when he tries to beat everyone one on one and when he is making move after move deep in the offensive zone and he ends up not getting a shot on net. It just turns into a turnover and he has two linemates forced to just watch.

Old
12-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Was a bit surprised it got as high as it did. The Latvian's kind of let up at the end of the game. It could have easily been 7-4 at one point, the Latvian's just couldn't get the puck in the net despite many good chances. Kalnins didn't play as bad as the score indicates, he just didn't get much help at all from the guys in front of him. It's frustrating to watch these guys floating all the time. Someone should teach them to skate and hustle every once in a while. Will be interesting to see if they do another abrupt turnaround in the relegation round, but somehow I doubt it. This years team ain't good enough.
So, the score would have been much closer if the Latvians would have gotten better goaltending, gotten the puck to the net, and tried harder?

Old
12-30-2009, 10:17 AM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
So, the score would have been much closer if the Latvians would have gotten better goaltending, gotten the puck to the net, and tried harder?
All I'm saying is they didn't play as bad as the score indicates. They played well enough to have it as close as 7-4 in the second, but didn't get the bounces they needed. The last two goals they gave up were just sloppy. Their goalie was often positionally sound, he's just too small to cover the net properly. A lot of them just sneaked by on the short side.

Old
12-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
All I'm saying is they didn't play as bad as the score indicates. They played well enough to have it as close as 7-4 in the second, but didn't get the bounces they needed. The last two goals they gave up were just sloppy. Their goalie was often positionally sound, he's just too small to cover the net properly. A lot of them just sneaked by on the short side.
I thought the Canadians would've lost their game against Latvia if Latvia could've scored

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
12-30-2009, 10:46 AM
MoonDragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And once he starts making Marty his *****
Good luck with that one. Marty will shut him down after he scores on him the first time.

Old
12-30-2009, 12:13 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
I am a Team USA backer...but I think Canada will overpower the US...there is a ton of character in the Canadian lineup...in addition to a lot of skill.
Yup. They will have to have stellar goaltending and play a lot smarter to even stick with Canada. I don't think Canada is particularly great this year but they are definitely a notch ahead of the US even if the US plays well.

Old
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Hey Rabid, dont you just love it?

Old
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
james bond

While I may agree with a few of the v-man's comments, its funny how there was no mention of what the score could of been if the US team got a few more bounces.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
What game were you watching?

Old
12-30-2009, 01:08 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
While I may agree with a few of the v-man's comments, its funny how there was no mention of what the score could of been if the US team got a few more bounces.
They got enough bounces. They certainly didn't play eleven times better than Latvia did.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
What game were you watching?
If you didn't see all those scoring chances then you should really go see an eye doctor.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
If you didn't see all those scoring chances then you should really go see an eye doctor.
ALL those scoring chances? How badly did the US outshoot them?

Old
12-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Hey Rabid, dont you just love it?
Loving every minute of it. International hockey always brings the best out of all of us. Personally, I'm not going to get all wound up over what was or wasn't done in a blowout game against an overmatched opponent. These are kids, not robots. To me, it's up to the coaching staff to rein in some of the more questionable tendancies when it counts. Put it this way: There's no magic switch that will automatically cause the U.S. team to play above their absolute potential. As is, they have a talented enough line-up to beat Canada. Whether those pieces come together tomorrow night is another story.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
ALL those scoring chances? How badly did the US outshoot them?
60-19 I believe. That's 19 scoring chances! Mike Lee was awesome!

Old
12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
hawksfan50

Who is USA putting in net vs. Canada on the 31st ? LEE or CAMPBELL?

I hope its CAMPBELL because I want to see how well he can play against this juggernaught of team Canada....IF he shines it will cement his spot among the top 2 goalies for the draft AND I see only him and Calvin Pickard as potential first rounders for the draft..On the other hand,if Canada gets a lot by him .that could plummet his stock back into the 2nd round...So it would be a huge "STATEMENT GAME" for Campbell if they give him the opportunity.

Closed Thread