HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Stick Advice

Old
12-29-2009, 04:43 PM
DevsFan84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
At the hockey shop in my town (Gunzos). They have a sign that basically says you break it you buy it. I think that way everyone wins. A flex at your own risk policy seems to protect everyone. Also the floor around the sticks is soft that way you can't chip or scratch the sticks when checking.
Tried that. I have a carpeted floor as well which should in theory protect the sticks, but then you get people who will flex them and release like they were taking a shot and hit something. And then you have 12 year old kids who will come in and grab a youth stick and flex it and break it, then run out the door before you can notice.

So, its easier just to tell people not to flex the sticks. As previously stated, we let people flex them slightly to get a feel for them. I haven't lost a customer to this policy yet, and I don't anticipate it happening either. In my experience, the people who find the need to rip on a stick are either benders or aren't going to buy a stick anyways.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Tried that. I have a carpeted floor as well which should in theory protect the sticks, but then you get people who will flex them and release like they were taking a shot and hit something. And then you have 12 year old kids who will come in and grab a youth stick and flex it and break it, then run out the door before you can notice.

So, its easier just to tell people not to flex the sticks. As previously stated, we let people flex them slightly to get a feel for them. I haven't lost a customer to this policy yet, and I don't anticipate it happening either. In my experience, the people who find the need to rip on a stick are either benders or aren't going to buy a stick anyways.
How would you know that you haven't lost a customer?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
How would you know that you haven't lost a customer?
Easy. You don't yell at people...like "HEY! DON'T FLEX THAT STICK SO HARD!" You just approach them and ask them to please not flex the stick so much, and if they need any help or have any questions. I've never had a negative response to this, except on good ol' HF boards.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
CanadaBacon

Alot of shops these days have a shooting area with test sticks, just use those instead.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Easy. You don't yell at people...like "HEY! DON'T FLEX THAT STICK SO HARD!" You just approach them and ask them to please not flex the stick so much, and if they need any help or have any questions. I've never had a negative response to this, except on good ol' HF boards.
Good grief.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Hey man you own the shop and I don't blame you for doing whatever you have to do to earn a profit. It's your shop if you don't want people to flex them then don't let people flex them. The people giving you grief about it would probably feel differently if it was their shop.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:08 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Hey man you own the shop and I don't blame you for doing whatever you have to do to earn a profit. It's your shop if you don't want people to flex them then don't let people flex them. The people giving you grief about it would probably feel differently if it was their shop.
Especially when they wind up with racks of sticks with scratched and chipped blades they cant sell.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:46 PM
jsykes

Every shop in my area that I've been in has "please dont flex the sticks" signs up all over the stick section. I'll take a photo for you the next time so you can then say you've seen it.

Of course, if you're working with an employee and talking sticks, they will often let you play with it a bit under their supervision, but it is there to keep the average joker from coming in and putting all their weight on every stick in the shop.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote