HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hesitating between these 4 visors

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2009, 05:57 PM
  #1
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Hesitating between these 4 visors

I really don't know which one to pick:









pros? cons?

thanks guys

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:59 PM
  #2
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
For the Itech (now Bauer) D100 the pro is that you can easily swap out the visor. Replacements are pretty cheap so if it gets scratched it up it's easier to replace. It's also CSA approved if that matters to you, it will for people in Canada. Con is that the ventilation is probably the worst of the four (just a guess). Although I have a couple of teammates that use it and have never had problems with fogging.

Can't speak for the other ones.


Last edited by Placebo Effect: 12-23-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
  #3
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,955
vCash: 500
Ive had both of those Itechs, the replacement one and the straight shield. I liked both but I found that the replacement one scratched up pretty easy and was a pain to clean. The pros were that you can get (obviously) replacement visors. I think its two for 60 or something like that. I had the black one, the blue one (pictured) I think had some coating on it, this I'm not sure of at all.
The straight Itech on the other hand, I find stays pretty clear and at the price I bought it (50) was a better value at the time. So far after a season of outdoor play and a mother who likes to move my crap around alot, its holding up good. I will probably stick with it and buy this one again.


edit fogging:
replacement one I found fogged up alot on me, and I had to tilt my helmet back to get it to not fog.
straight cut same problem, but I can tilt the visor up without moving my helmet.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
  #4
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
yeah I think I'm gonna go with a straight one.

But what about oakley visors? It seems that most of the pros wear oakley, am I right? Is it because they are specialized in glasses/visors?

Also, what about the pros and cons for the wave visors or the ones where you've got a little wave where the nose is?

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:43 PM
  #5
Ani simov mal
Registered User
 
Ani simov mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Straight oakley looks the best. The second itech looks hideous.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:26 PM
  #6
densetsu
 
densetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
What are you going for here? Looks, convenience, safety, etc? I'd go with a CSA-approved one, one that attaches to the helmet at the middle as well as the sides. On your list that'd be the third one.

They obviously don't look as sexy, but they are safer. Many of my teammates have the non-certified visors, which tend to tilt up and make more of the face vulnerable. Though admittedly, as a plus, they can easily tilt it up on the bench to keep it from fogging up.

There was even the case where a teammate fell weird, had his visor tilt *down* and take out his front teeth. Still don't know how it happened, but I do know he was picking up his chicklets off the ice because of it.

If you *do* decide to buy a non-certified visor, make sure to use all the mounting hardware (including those little white gaskets that are in your fourth picture) and make sure it takes significant effort to move it.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:03 AM
  #7
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,479
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I have the 2nd Oakley. The advertisement for that aviator cut is that it supposedly increases air flow. I like how it covers just that much more of my face than a straight cut and I like the way it looks on me. I've found throughout my 15 years of wearing visors that Itech's last longer but Oakley has superior optics. I took a slap shot off my shield 2 games ago. I turned my head so it glanced off but without the shield it would have hit me in the cheek. Didn't leave a scratch on my shield but it is beginning to spider at the bottom which has always been the Oakley's fatal flaw.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:53 AM
  #8
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I use the Bauer (formerly Itech) HS22 straight cut visor and love it .... the anit fog coating on the inside rules in all ways. The anti fog coating gets damaged easily if anything but water is used to clean it and a soft cloth MUST be used.

They sell a special cleaner stuff for it but I don;t waste my money on that stuff. Water cleans it well after use and then I put a protective visor bonnet on it so the stuff in my hockey bag doesn;t ruin it.

I have used it twice a week for most of the summer until now and it is still in greast shape. It looks a lot like that last Oakley pictured above.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 07:26 AM
  #9
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
What are you going for here? Looks, convenience, safety, etc? I'd go with a CSA-approved one, one that attaches to the helmet at the middle as well as the sides. On your list that'd be the third one.

They obviously don't look as sexy, but they are safer. Many of my teammates have the non-certified visors, which tend to tilt up and make more of the face vulnerable. Though admittedly, as a plus, they can easily tilt it up on the bench to keep it from fogging up.

There was even the case where a teammate fell weird, had his visor tilt *down* and take out his front teeth. Still don't know how it happened, but I do know he was picking up his chicklets off the ice because of it.

If you *do* decide to buy a non-certified visor, make sure to use all the mounting hardware (including those little white gaskets that are in your fourth picture) and make sure it takes significant effort to move it.
I'm looking for looks, vision and safety mostly.

I think I'm gonna get oakley. Hesitating between the straight, wave or wave where nose is one.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:05 PM
  #10
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'm looking for looks, vision and safety mostly.

I think I'm gonna get oakley. Hesitating between the straight, wave or wave where nose is one.
So now that we know the real reason you want to wear a visor: looks.

"Omg I need a visor, it will make me a better hockey player omg omg omg omg halp!"

and now

"Omg help me choose which visor looks the coolest!"

added to ignore list.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:28 PM
  #11
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
If it matters any I am not into fashion for hockey equipment but I have a limit. If something is ugly enough I won't wear it period.

That doesn't make someone vain if they just do not feel comfortable wearing it.

I certainly will never buy anything just because everyone else is using it. I never have and never will.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:45 PM
  #12
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,479
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
If it matters any I am not into fashion for hockey equipment but I have a limit. If something is ugly enough I won't wear it period.

That doesn't make someone vain if they just do not feel comfortable wearing it.

I certainly will never buy anything just because everyone else is using it. I never have and never will.
Looks play a role when buying equipment no matter what anyone says. You see Bauer coming out with black X60's or neon green? Most sticks are painted in "cool" way to attract buyers. When it comes to visors I don't see how it can really come down to how one looks because it looks almost identical up to the sticker on the side determining one company from another. It's like buying a mouthpiece because it looks cool. In the end nobody really cares what kind of visor you wear, it's there to protect you and there is a durability factor that divides Oakley and Itech consumers. The bottom line is you're paying for it, you're wearing it, buy what you want.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:42 PM
  #13
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Looks play a role when buying equipment no matter what anyone says. You see Bauer coming out with black X60's or neon green? Most sticks are painted in "cool" way to attract buyers. When it comes to visors I don't see how it can really come down to how one looks because it looks almost identical up to the sticker on the side determining one company from another. It's like buying a mouthpiece because it looks cool. In the end nobody really cares what kind of visor you wear, it's there to protect you and there is a durability factor that divides Oakley and Itech consumers. The bottom line is you're paying for it, you're wearing it, buy what you want.
I went with what they had for visors when I bought mine only to find out I need more nose room because of a big honker. So now the next one I get will accomodate that.

I do not care what it will look like or what not. You made some good points about visors.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:12 PM
  #14
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
So now that we know the real reason you want to wear a visor: looks.

"Omg I need a visor, it will make me a better hockey player omg omg omg omg halp!"

and now

"Omg help me choose which visor looks the coolest!"

added to ignore list.
chill man. You're getting your panties in a bunch for nothing.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:36 AM
  #15
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Im assuming you dont want a cage (OP). May i ask why?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:16 AM
  #16
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Im assuming you dont want a cage (OP). May i ask why?
get a cage, like he said.

but if you have to go with a visor for looks, don't get a three point visor, they look dusty as hell.

the first or fourth visor look the best in the pics you put up.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:48 AM
  #17
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Im assuming you dont want a cage (OP). May i ask why?
I want a visor because I'm playing at the highest amateur level in the country. I need all the help I can get. Sure a visor won't make me a better hockey player but I think it can help a little with my vision.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
  #18
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I want a visor because I'm playing at the highest amateur level in the country. I need all the help I can get. Sure a visor won't make me a better hockey player but I think it can help a little with my vision.
It will help with your vision but will not protect anything below your eyes and even then you can still get an eye injury with a balde up under the thing on a face off or whatever.

I never could play with a cage, I tried one back in the 80s made of wire. Then I went with one of the early clear full face shields and could not get used to that either.

I had played with nothing for a long time and went back to that until recently as mentioned above in this thread. My point was that a guy (me) who hates any protection found a visor to feel like I wasn't wearing anything and i never notice I am wearing one.

I have lost teeth and had cuts around the eye over the years but never had a serious injury. I decided to wear a visor now because they actually make them so well optically now that it really does seem like I am not wearing one.

You may want to try out a full clear face cage made nowadays as well as I would imagine those are also optically something awesome.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
  #19
jmichael7753
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
I have an itech pro wave. It is the exact one Radim vrbata wears for the coyotes. I love it. It never fogs up and its easy to clean.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:07 PM
  #20
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
I use the second ITECH, third on the list, while officiating and have been pleased with it. I like that I can quickly swap out shields if I need to and it provides decent protection. I have not had an issue with it fogging. I use the same style with the full cage for playing and like it as well though I do seem to get more fogging with that one. Could be because I'm always moving while officiating vs. bench time while playing.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:19 AM
  #21
Kace
Registered User
 
Kace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
I have been using the Oakley visor that is fourth in your list for a couple of years now.

I really like it. I never notice it's there and I feel that I get as much protection possible from a visor as I can.

Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:09 PM
  #22
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,896
vCash: 500
I find it incredibly condescending the way all the beer-league know-it-alls always come into these threads and tell people why they should be wearing a cage and how wanting to wear a visor automatically makes you a hot-shot who only cares about how they look on the ice. I read the OP pretty thoroughly and I didn't notice him asking anyone whether he should be wearing a visor or cage, just which visor people might recommend based on their experiences, so you'll forgive me if I reply with my own condescending rebuttal.

I played at many highly competitive levels on my way to finishing up 4 years of college hockey and I now play in a very competitive travel league where I would guess maybe 20% of the players (or less) are wearing cages. Visors allow superior vision and comfort and when you're playing in a league where the talent level is consistently high the frequency of errant high sticks is virtually as low as in the NHL. Players who are willing to risk the odd stick or puck to the face have every right to do so and, I guarantee, are not interested in the cautionary tales of opinionated rec leaguer's that label all visor wearers hot shots simply because they have some secret, irrational dislike for the visor wearers in their own leagues. If you choose to wear a cage, good for you. You're being very safe. That is your choice. Don't tell me why I should do the same when I clearly am inclined to do otherwise. If you have nothing to offer with regards to which visor the OP should purchase, mind your own business rather than passing judgment based on your own marginal hockey experience.

That said, I played in the straight Oakley visor for a long time and my opinion of it was that it fogged easily and scratched even more easily. I switched to the Itech (now Bauer) straight cut eventually and found that it fogs just about the same amount but scratches less easily. The Oakley was prone to larger scratches that were really noticeable while on the ice. The Itech hasn't had that problem so far. I did think the Oakley was a slightly clearer material - the Itech seems a little filmy sometimes. I've taken a stick to the face twice. The first one stung but didn't do any damage. The second gave me a minor bloody lip. The dangers of playing with a visor are far overstated. Accidents undoubtedly happen but danger is ever present when playing real, full contact ice hockey. If my goal was to be as safe as humanly possible I wouldn't be on the ice (I say this after 2 concussions, a separated shoulder, broken wrist, and chipped tooth that occurred with a helmet, cage and mouthguard on). While I'm out there, there are risks I'm willing to take to optimize my experience and wearing a visor is one of them. When I put on my gear my primary goal is to play the best hockey I am capable of. If your first priority is safety that's fine, but there is no need for you to tell others who see things differently how they're only wearing a cage to be "cool" - you don't see us visor wearers going around telling you all how you look like goofy pansies with your cages on.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:17 PM
  #23
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Im assuming that was towards me for asking why he didnt want to wear a cage.

I wear neither and think you all are cowards for wearing windows/birdies/fishbowls

Does a cage really hurt vision that much?

I dont know, i always found visors to be pointless. Wear nothing or a cage imo. I always found it odd that visor wearers could go off on guys that wear nothing for being stupid and that their face will get smashed in when a visor really offers very little protection in itself.

I have never told anyone what they SHOULD wear, i can only give my opinion on why i WOULDNT wear said piece of eq.

Didnt think asking someone why they didnt want to wear a cage was that big of a deal.


PS Koval if you find it condescending the way all the beer-league know-it-alls talk about visor wearers, imagine what its like for us guys who wear nothing and take it from EVERYBODY. And I actually do see you visor wearers going around telling birdies wearers how you look like goofy pansies

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:25 PM
  #24
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Im assuming that was towards me for asking why he didnt want to wear a cage.

I wear neither and think you all are cowards for wearing windows/birdies/fishbowls

Does a cage really hurt vision that much?

I dont know, i always found visors to be pointless. Wear nothing or a cage imo. I always found it odd that visor wearers could go off on guys that wear nothing for being stupid and that their face will get smashed in when a visor really offers very little protection in itself.

I have never told anyone what they SHOULD wear, i can only give my opinion on why i WOULDNT wear said piece of eq.

Didnt think asking someone why they didnt want to wear a cage was that big of a deal.


PS Koval if you find it condescending the way all the beer-league know-it-alls talk about visor wearers, imagine what its like for us guys who wear nothing and take it from EVERYBODY.
No it's not directed towards you; I fully advocate wearing nothing if that's what you like. Like I mentioned, I'd say barely 20% of the guys I play with now-a-days wear a cage... the rest wear a visor or nothing. I like to wear a visor because I do like to have my eyes covered at least a little bit (and I don't flinch going into the corners or physical situations because of the small comfort that comes from knowing there's something there) but I have played with nothing on plenty of times and like that better than wearing a cage as well. I shouldn't have made my post specifically about visor wearers... my post was intended to be directed at those who wear cages and feel the need to preach to those who wear visors OR nothing. Specifically it was Rented Mule's post that set me off, but it came from seeing similar posts over and over again whenever one of these discussions pops up. I've basically just gotten tired of hearing how anyone who chooses anything but a full-cage or full-shield is a dunce that only cares about looking good on the ice.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
  #25
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Then i apologise to you good sir for my rant

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.