HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team Canada PP/PK discussion

Old
12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Ironslave

vCash: 500
Team Canada PP/PK discussion

Thought this would be lost in the cluster discussing the roster and it warranted its own thread. So, please do NOT discuss anything related to who should have made the team, or who should not have, or what the "regular" lines will be, just PP and PK. It would also be great if people could explain their reasoning in their combination. I'll start:

First, when it comes to making the PP lines, I think that they should have the center, but then right handed shots play the left side on the wing/point, and vice-versa for defense. What this does is that by keeping the sticks in the middle of the ice it gives a better angle for a shot, and also allows the one timer. One thing I noticed is that in the World Juniors (for example), Taylor Hall, a left handed shot, is playing left wing, so when he gets the puck he isn't able to walk out of the corner and fire a wrist or slapshot, he usually ends up skating up around the circle, turning to the forehand and passing it to the guy by the side of the net, or switching to a backhand shot.

So, with that, I would have the following forwards:

PP1:
C. Sidney Crosby
LW: Jarome Iginla (right shot) RW: Rick Nash (left shot)

For the defensive pairing, I'm not quite sure who I would have. Is Drew Doughty going to QB the first PP? I know that Canada took him for all that he brings to the table, one of which being his play on the PP, and his first pass ability on the breakouts. Whoever the QB is though, it makes sense to pair that person with someone with a cannon. So, I would have the first D pairing be:

LD: Doughty or Boyle (right shot) RD: Pronger (left shot)

PP2-

C. Thornton
LW. Perry (right shot) RW. Heatley (left shot)

I like Corey Perry here because he is so good down low, gritty, and has great hands, he would reek havoc in front of the net.

LD: Doughty or Boyle (right shot) RD. Keith (left shot)

PK

I think here is a great time where you use players who won't play much PP, and probably not quite as much of a regular shift. (I have Doughty playing first unit though because I don't see him getting as much time 5-on-5).

LF: Richards RF: Bergeron
LD: Niedermayer RD: Doughty

LF: Toews RF: Morrow
LD: Seabrook RD: Weber

thoughts?

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Street Hawk

PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
Thought this would be lost in the cluster discussing the roster and it warranted its own thread. So, please do NOT discuss anything related to who should have made the team, or who should not have, or what the "regular" lines will be, just PP and PK. It would also be great if people could explain their reasoning in their combination. I'll start:

First, when it comes to making the PP lines, I think that they should have the center, but then right handed shots play the left side on the wing/point, and vice-versa for defense. What this does is that by keeping the sticks in the middle of the ice it gives a better angle for a shot, and also allows the one timer. One thing I noticed is that in the World Juniors (for example), Taylor Hall, a left handed shot, is playing left wing, so when he gets the puck he isn't able to walk out of the corner and fire a wrist or slapshot, he usually ends up skating up around the circle, turning to the forehand and passing it to the guy by the side of the net, or switching to a backhand shot.

So, with that, I would have the following forwards:

PP1:
C. Sidney Crosby
LW: Jarome Iginla (right shot) RW: Rick Nash (left shot)

For the defensive pairing, I'm not quite sure who I would have. Is Drew Doughty going to QB the first PP? I know that Canada took him for all that he brings to the table, one of which being his play on the PP, and his first pass ability on the breakouts. Whoever the QB is though, it makes sense to pair that person with someone with a cannon. So, I would have the first D pairing be:

LD: Doughty or Boyle (right shot) RD: Pronger (left shot)

PP2-

C. Thornton
LW. Perry (right shot) RW. Heatley (left shot)

I like Corey Perry here because he is so good down low, gritty, and has great hands, he would reek havoc in front of the net.

LD: Doughty or Boyle (right shot) RD. Keith (left shot)

PK

I think here is a great time where you use players who won't play much PP, and probably not quite as much of a regular shift. (I have Doughty playing first unit though because I don't see him getting as much time 5-on-5).

LF: Richards RF: Bergeron
LD: Niedermayer RD: Doughty

LF: Toews RF: Morrow
LD: Seabrook RD: Weber

thoughts?
For the PP, the coaching staff will handle that. I'm not too concerned with the PP unit. Just a matter of whether they get the job done or not. They have the firepower to have a good PP unit. The 2006 team did as well, but fired blanks.

As for the PK, I don't expect Doughty to play the PK. It will be Pronger, Keith, Seabrook, Niedermayer as the primary guys on the backend. Through in Weber for a couple of shifts too. I think the coaching staff will try not to put Doughty in tough defensive situations. Boyle probably is left to run the PP and take a regular shift.

For the PK forwards, they have to rely on Morrow, Richards, and Bergeron as the big 3. Toews likely rounds out the 4 forwards, but expect to see Marleau get PK time as well.

A bit worried about the PK forwards. PP and PK will likely make or break a team in a single game elimination.

Less than 2 weeks ago when the Ducks played the Canucks, Getzlaf took 3 tripping penalties, so if a player has a bad game like that, it could spell the end of the team.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 10:52 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Every player will take some PP time for sure.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Every player will take some PP time for sure.
Not necessarily, I'm sure Canada will, or should, beat Norway and Switzerland pretty comfortably in their first 2 games, but if anything the PP time during those games will be perfect practice scenarios for games against teams like Russia, US, Sweden, Finland.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Alfredsson11

Powerplay

Heatley - Crosby - Perry
Boyle - Weber

Nash - Thornton - Iginla
Doughty - Pronger

Penatly Kill

Bergeron - Morrow