HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Lukko vs. Vehanen vs. $ vs. KHL (Ak Bars Kazan)

Old
11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
Lukko vs. Vehanen vs. $ vs. KHL (Ak Bars Kazan)

So heavy talks going on that league leader Lukko wants to sell their numero uno goalie to KHL Ak Bars Kazan for 1 million (dollars/euros!?) and gets goalie Mikael Telqvist from Kazan.

-Ak Bars Kazan wants Vehanen.
-Lukko wants money... (Telqvist is just plus in this)
-But what does Vehanen want?

Very interesting stuff from the league leader and number 1 favourite for the title.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
So heavy talks going on that league leader Lukko wants to sell their numero uno goalie to KHL Ak Bars Kazan for 1 million (dollars/euros!?) and gets goalie Mikael Telqvist from Kazan.

Very interesting stuff from the league leader and number 1 favourite for the title.
Kazan wants Vehanen, I wouldn't say Lukko had much interest in this trade before it was offered. But it is an interesting deal and probably very hard for Lukko and especially Vehanen to pass. Lukko seems strong enough right now even without the best goalie in europe. And Tellqvist is not bad either. Lukko has money, so that is not a very strong motivator in this, but the fact that Kazan are willing to give Lukko a FREE goalie, who is actually a high level one, over a million euros....that's a sweet deal I must say. And if they waited, Vehanen would leave in the summer and Lukko would not get anything out of that. But still...if Vehanen wanted to skip the opportunity, this would not go through. They are not in any way desperate for the money, success is more important right now. Lukko has the most stable financial situation in the league, but when someone offers a trade like that...a high profile goalie for a free high profile goalie and so much money that it would cover some Finnish league teams whole player budget for a season, it's tempting. And Vehanen would be set for life.

But yeah, this is a done deal anyway, I heard from my sources in Rauma that Tellqvist's jerseys have already been printed. I doubt they would do that as a precaution.

Last edited by psycho_dad: 11-18-2009 at 11:20 AM.
psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Finnpin

http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/jaakiekk...le_167919.html

Tellqvist is now talking about coming to Rauma so this seems to be a done deal... just waiting for the confirmation.

He also seems to be motivated to get playing time.

Edit. confirmed deal:
http://jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php?sivu=uutiset&id=10165

Last edited by Finnpin: 11-19-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old
11-19-2009, 03:58 AM
thomast

Quote:

Lukko gets 1million $ or € and Tellqvist free for rest of the year(worth of 1,5million). Vehanen gets 2,5Million for this year and next year and Kazan get finnish top goalie. Every1 wins. Except i think that Lukko sold their championship in this deal aswell. Their team is build around Vehanen.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:04 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Lukko gets 1million $ or € and Tellqvist free for rest of the year(worth of 1,5million). Vehanen gets 2,5Million for this year and next year. and Kazan get finnish top goalie. Every1 wins. Except i think that Lukko sold their championship in this deal aswell. Their team is build around Vehanen.
That's sh11t loads of money! Where did you heard that?

Old
11-19-2009, 05:13 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Their team is build around Vehanen.
And that's why they have won 3 games with their backup goalie? All the 3 games he has played.

Lukko is a great TEAM, and this does not affect their chances much if the players can cope with the situation...it's up to them to keep it up. Vehanen has not really stolen any games this year, Lukko has dominated pretty much each game. Last year Vehanen stole a bunch of points, because he had to. He is capable, but this year there has been no need.

And you know...Tellqvist is not supposed to be a bad goalie. If one of the teams would have gotten him over the summer, I know everyone outside Rauma would have ranked him #1 in the league.

Old
11-19-2009, 05:15 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
That's sh11t loads of money! Where did you heard that?
Pretty much all the news sites have posted that number, of course thats 1 and a half seasons.

And according to aftonbladet, Lukko gets Tellqvist for free and 1,5 million euros. Finnish news sites yesterday talked about 1,2, so maybe the russians threw in a bonus to sweeten the deal.

Old
11-19-2009, 05:51 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

So... Kazan pays the salary of Tellqvist, throws in an 1 to 1.5 mil (depending on source) compensation to the club for Vehanen, and pays the leaving goalie himself a 2.5 mil salary for the rest of the season?

As a certain fictionary character would say: Mikä v-u teitä kazanilaisia oikein vaivaa?

(Sorry the Finnish, I'll naturally offer a translation: "What the F is wrong with you Kazan folk?")

Lukko also seems to have a top-notch goalie coaching. Advances made to Vehanen's game over the seasons he's played there plus the early merits of backup Raanta are fairly good evidence of this. We'll just see what they can get out of Tellqvist. It's most definitely too early to say if this will turn out to be a step back after all.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 580
That's a sweetheart deal if I ever saw one. And it's not like the return is bad.

Hennessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Finnpin

Ilves - Lukko 4-1 (Tellqvist still not playing)

btw Kazan distrained Tellqvist's gear maybe they wanted to save some money

Old
11-22-2009, 06:46 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
btw Kazan distrained Tellqvist's gear maybe they wanted to save some money
No rush for that, Lukko has a good backup in Raanta, even though he let in a soft one against Ilves. But that game was lost because they wasted so many good scoring chances. They redeemed themselves against Jyp, winning in overtime and putting an end to Jyp's 8 game winning streak in their home arena.

Old
12-31-2009, 04:02 AM
Stats01

I was just checking up on Tellqvist to see where he was playing and I found that he was playing for Lukko then I found out he got traded there. Sorry if I sound ignorant but I didn't know players could be traded from one euro league to another? Wow thats interesting. It's just strange that in the NHL players complain that they're being traded from one coast to the other, when players in Europe have to go from one country to the next, must be tough...

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 05:46 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Wow thats interesting. It's just strange that in the NHL players complain that they're being traded from one coast to the other, when players in Europe have to go from one country to the next, must be tough...
Or not.

First of all, jumping around Europe can be done by covering less distance than hopping from coast to coast in NA (though I think in this case it was a bit more). Also, it completely depends on who's going and where. Tellqvist being a Swede, I'm fairly sure the neighboring Finland is a lot more familiar-feeling place to him than Tatarstan.

He gets to play in a place really close to home and even resembles it in more ways than just one, under circumstances that are less demanding than they were in Kazan yet he receives the same pay. "Tough" isn't exactly the word I'd use here.

Well, in that sense it's tough that I can't imagine SM-liiga being as healthy place for his career aspirations as KHL was. But if we count that out, I'm fairly sure he's a lot better off in more ways than just one as he was earlier... for the moment, at least.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote