HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps @ Sharks. 10pm EST. 12/30/09.

Old
12-30-2009, 11:47 PM
ForzaItalia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
2 worst games of the year after the unecessary trade

i dont think it's a coincidental

Tell us Mr GM. How are you so sure it was unnecessary? You do realize this trade was not made solely for the two games after it, right?

Would you have said the trade was still unnecessary if the Caps had won the last two?

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 11:47 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
2 worst games of the year after the unecessary trade

i dont think it's a coincidental
Carolina always gives us trouble.

"The victory was San Joseís seventh straight at home against the Capitals, who havenít won in San Jose since Oct. 30, 1993. They have lost nine games and tied one since then."

Why can't Washington beat the Sharks at home? There's got to be a way.

ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 11:51 PM
ahimsa

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009...als-5-2-60754/

First period we were outshot 13-3. Not good.

ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
That goes for McPhee as much as it does for the coaching staff and players.

The defense outside of Green & Schultz ought to feel none too safe. A healthy Pothier in a week or two will help but the rest have to be more reliable.
the defense is a lot of the issue, but forwards not playing back isn't helping.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:02 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
We also got our tails handed to us in the neutral zone. For a team that usually dominates puck possession, we were the nail instead of the hammer in that department tonight. When the other team always has the puck, it increases the number of chances to have defensive breakdowns.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Not sure outside of laich's horrible clearing attempt how it relevent to this game. But its been an issue in the past but getting better.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:09 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Odd stat of the night for me:

Caps outhit the Sharks 46-32.

I'd imagine it's very rare for the Caps to out-hit an opponent by that kind of margin and still get beat as badly as they did.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:16 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Odd stat of the night for me:

Caps outhit the Sharks 46-32.

I'd imagine it's very rare for the Caps to out-hit an opponent by that kind of margin and still get beat as badly as they did.
The loser usually outhits the winner. Hits are only counted on puck carriers. So if you're racking up hits, that almost always means you're losing the puck possession battle.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:22 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The loser usually outhits the winner. Hits are only counted on puck carriers. So if you're racking up hits, that almost always means you're losing the puck possession battle.
The last game I found that the Caps out-hit a team and lost was over a month ago, in Toronto.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:29 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Very true, and often overlooked.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:33 AM
garrett s

oh well at least ovie scored.

garrett s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Atlas

Shamo was really struggling out there. He looks like a head-case. No confidence at all. Erskine tries but they are asking him to play top 3 minutes against the Sharks for god's sake. Pretty tough to count on Alzner protecting Erskine's gaffes so early in Alz's career. Poti was pretty average...I didn't notice him being awful like Shamo. Green was good and bad...made some nice plays for sure but damn he tries some dumb passes sometimes. Schultz...I dunno...he gives an honest effort. He's totally non-aggressive...he just fills the space like a dasher board.

BMo looked very good in what seemed like limited ice time. Backstrom had a rough game. The Sharks controlled him. Semin was pretty ineffective. If he coulda played during that 5 on 3 they probably would've scored. He was close a couple times. Chimera looked good except for an early series of 3 gaffes in the D zone. I can't remember if it led to a goal. I couldn't fault Neuvirth on any of the goals but damn 5 is a lot to give up. The Sharks coulda scored 10 easy if he hadn't played pretty well. They were picking the top corners perfectly. Maybe he could've been more agressive on the penalty shots? But the D has to not turn the puck over and also be on the shooter quick so they can't pick those corners. Neuvirth was awesome at contolling rebounds. Hopefully being used as target practice doesn't ruin the kid's psyche.

This game looked a lot like the playoff games against the Pens. This D just does not get the puck out of the D zone. Not against good teams like the Sharks. I think I'd sit Shamo for awhile and let him work on his head. Maybe get him playing decently for a few weeks and then trade his ass.

It's only one game. I'm not panicked at all. But it's clear that this D isn't good enough to compete for a Stanley Cup. Green can play in the top pairing. Alzner is gonna be a good one- for this year's playoffs I expect solid top 4 minutes. Poti and Pothier, Schultz, Erskine can handle the 5-8 roles. I really think they need to add a #2 and a #3 to the defense. Another guy that can transition the puck to the O as well as calmly get the puck out of the D zone under pressure. And they need more toughness and leadership. I don't know how in hell GMGM will find it in 2 months.

The Sharks played well. Gotta give them credit. The lanes were plugged with sticks and bodies. Nabokov was there when he had to be.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:57 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Love the player, but I gotta tell you....terrible nickname.
Yeah, I've never been fond of that nickname. I prefer Douggernaut.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:03 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Fell asleep at 1. Daughter woke me up at 5.... yuck.

Nice to read TEB's blog entry where AO mentions they tried to many diagonal passes. At least they recognize it. However, in game would be nice. Try not shooting into pk'rs chest and also not trying to beat pk'rs in neutral zone one one one. Then MAYBE they'll at least maintain possession.

Old
12-31-2009, 07:03 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
So Juice was our 4th best defensemen this year heh. Heres to hoping for Pothier to return strong and not be a throw in on George's next deal. One of Mo Sarge or Poti is going to struggle at 2RD. Book it. Sarge is the best of the 3 but that pushes Mo back to top pair duty where he has been overmatched for years. I cant believe i am the only one that dislikes a left heavy D. I am not expecting Alzner at RD to be our savior unless he played there most of his career.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-31-2009 at 07:18 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 07:57 AM
pgreene

glad i went to bed. this game sounds entirely missable.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:35 AM
txpd

The roles were reversed earlier in the season. The Sharks started a coastal road trip in Washington after the long flight and the Caps handed them their lunch. This game doesnt signal to me that one team is better significantly than the other.

Lets be realistic. The Caps traded their Captain, got hammered at home hours later, flew across country, changed all their lines and defense pairs and then layed another egg.

Is is trade hangover? Jetlag? bad line adjustment. I saw bad read, bad changes, bad switches in coverage.

Lets see what happens in LA. If the Kings kill them and Caps don't look like themselves again, I am going to have to think its the trade. If they step up and play their game, win or lose, I will be fine with them.

Lastly, if the Caps dont have the defense to compete for the cup, they won't have it come these playoffs. They might bring in one player. Maybe one good one. Maybe not so good. If the D is as bad as some of you think it is, one player wont fix anything.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:52 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

When we all get on this jurcina love-fest. Remember bb scratched him for many games leading up to the trade. He was better.
Not saying scratching him was right. But that's the coaches decision.

Old
12-31-2009, 09:56 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The caps can't change wholesale defense to make them cup contenders with an elite scoring line, an energy line, and two mediocre scoring lines.

With this defense though they can if they bring in a third center. Hey what's the point % with mp and without?
I'm getting my car worked on so I can't run the numbers.

Old
12-31-2009, 09:59 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Perreault in the lineup 12-4-2
Without Perreault 12-6-4

Old
12-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
So Juice was our 4th best defensemen this year heh. Heres to hoping for Pothier to return strong and not be a throw in on George's next deal. One of Mo Sarge or Poti is going to struggle at 2RD. Book it. Sarge is the best of the 3 but that pushes Mo back to top pair duty where he has been overmatched for years. I cant believe i am the only one that dislikes a left heavy D. I am not expecting Alzner at RD to be our savior unless he played there most of his career.
I don't know, in general I think it is fairly rare that teams have enough decent right shot blueliners to put everyone on their better side. The Caps having so many righties over the last few years is pretty odd actually. Most teams have at least one and many times 2 lefties playing on the right. The Devils don't have a single right shot in their preferred top 6 IMO and the Flyers don't even have one on their roster. The Flames and Wings have 1 each in their top 6.

Again I'm not saying that ideally it wouldn't line up that way but it definitely isn't the norm that teams have 3 righties in their top 6, though their definitely are more right shot blueliners in today's game than say 20 years ago.

After a quick look on the NHL site there are 265 blueliners listed on their stats page and only 83 of them (31%) are right shots.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I should have said mp and aucoin since that dude provided a better center than stecks, laich, gordo. Sorry.

Also I was going to look at strength of schedule. Home/away etc.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:07 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Lastly, if the Caps dont have the defense to compete for the cup, they won't have it come these playoffs. They might bring in one player. Maybe one good one. Maybe not so good. If the D is as bad as some of you think it is, one player wont fix anything.
Duh.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:10 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I also don't know how you did that so fast bcf!

While this bb changed my perseption of phones and conectivity, I can't wait to get an iphone. Browser is limited.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:23 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I also don't know how you did that so fast bcf!

While this bb changed my perseption of phones and conectivity, I can't wait to get an iphone. Browser is limited.
I just went to Perreault's game log, counted up the wins and losses and netted out the remaining games from the Caps record. Easy as pie. Plus I'm not exactly busy at the office this AM.