HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#39: Flyers at Rangers - December 30, 2009 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-31-2009, 08:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Due to recording problems with Tivo and Comcast, I missed most of the game(caught the last 14 minutes, and Gagne's goal). But MSG does a "Rangers in 60" replay every night, so I watched that, beautiful work overall by the Flyers through the entire game, they controlled the pace of the game. If this is Lavy's system, I'm really ****ing excited.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 08:36 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Man, I was at the game last night. Best thing ever. Didn't have to listen to the stupid Rangers goal song once, and did get to listen to crying Rangers fans throughout the entire game. Was really pleased for Leighton too - to shutout the Rags in MSG with one of the best goalies in the NHL starting opposite you must feel pretty sweet.

I don't see many live games, so it was actually quite surprising to me how large Pronger actually is, and how well he skates for a guy his size. Best skater on the ice was Gagne though, IMO. He looked terrific out there.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 08:43 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Seriously, the way this team played lately, I'd be pissed if Leighton didn't start in the WC. He stayed square to the puck all last night, and looked like his rebound control improved. Every rebound seemed to go to the corner, or right at one of our D-men. And with the D playing the way they are, and keeping their sticks strong on the ice to retrieve the rebounds, Leighton may be harder to beat than most think.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Oh and on the first goal the Rangers fans applauded Betts, which I thought was decent.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:02 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Seriously, the way this team played lately, I'd be pissed if Leighton didn't start in the WC. He stayed square to the puck all last night, and looked like his rebound control improved. Every rebound seemed to go to the corner, or right at one of our D-men. And with the D playing the way they are, and keeping their sticks strong on the ice to retrieve the rebounds, Leighton may be harder to beat than most think.
I agree that he should get the start. He's still a bit slow to react to his rebounds but they're not right out into the slot anymore as you said, I felt a lot better. Of course the early lead helped to ease my nerves as well.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
So we're back to being a not ****** team right?
I'd like to see us beat a good team, a top team, to say that we're not **** still. Can't say that we're not **** still when we've only played **** teams so far in this road-trip. That or win the next two games. I mean, that Rangers effort last night was probably the single worst effort I've ever seen put forth in a hockey game. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Once the opponent starts beating us to the rebounds we're screwed though. It's absolutely amazing that not one goal went in last night against him. Hell, remember that one play where he basically left the net and got ran over by Hartnell? Yeah, that sums up Leighton for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
Oh and on the first goal the Rangers fans applauded Betts, which I thought was decent.
They loved him. It would be like Betts or Gagne going to the Rags and us cheering for them. Most Rags fans would like Betts back, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I agree that he should get the start. He's still a bit slow to react to his rebounds but they're not right out into the slot anymore as you said, I felt a lot better. Of course the early lead helped to ease my nerves as well.
Why don't we let Leighton start half of it and Boucher the other half? Both deserve to see playing time. I think I remember Buffalo and Pittsburgh doing the same thing with their goalies during their Winter Classic.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:59 AM
mercury

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:03 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal
Once the opponent starts beating us to the rebounds we're screwed though. It's absolutely amazing that not one goal went in last night against him. Hell, remember that one play where he basically left the net and got ran over by Hartnell? Yeah, that sums up Leighton for me.
If Leighton is consistently making the first stop, the Dmen can focus on getting to the rebound and not feel like they have to block every shot coming in. Give Leighton a good look at the shooter and box out the opposing forwards breaking for the net. That requires the buy-in from the Flyer forwards, too, who can't be floating at the blue line waiting for a quick pass out.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If Leighton is consistently making the first stop, the Dmen can focus on getting to the rebound and not feel like they have to block every shot coming in. Give Leighton a good look at the shooter and box out the opposing forwards breaking for the net. That requires the buy-in from the Flyer forwards, too, who can't be floating at the blue line waiting for a quick pass out.
I understand all that. What I'm saying though is that we're basically just hoping the defense continually bails him out after that initial shot (and in some cases on the initial shot...). As soon as the defense doesn't bail him out for a game, we're screwed. It's like filling a balloon up with air until it explodes in your face. Or at least that's how I see it. I'm not knocking on Leighton, I just don't feel comfortable riding him until, basically, he blows up and we lose a game.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:42 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Gagne was a beast, def the best player out there. He shows amazing chem with Giroux which i think dates back to playoffs against shytsburge. Thought Coburn played a really good game, solid with a little grit. The guy needs a mentor plain and simple.
This system, if it is what we saw last night, kicks ass. Go flyers!

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote