HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filing Complaints about last night's non-HD broadcast

Old
12-31-2009, 09:47 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Filing Complaints about last night's non-HD broadcast

I know there were a lot of fans unhappy last night's game was not broadcast in High Def. I decided to take some time out to complain to not only Cablevision, but the FCC, NYS Consumer Protection Board, and my County's department of Consumer Affairs. Links below...

http://www.optimum.net/Support/Contact (I e-mailed them)

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm (Broadcast Complaint)

https://www1.consumer.state.ny.us/cp...laintForm.html

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/departme...eraffairs.aspx (Suffolk County Consumer Affairs)

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/OCA/index.html (Nassau County Consumer Affairs)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/home/home.shtml (New York City Consumer Affairs)

http://www.westchestergov.com/consumer.htm (Westchester)

As bad as the Rangers were, it's still ridiculous that the game was not broadcast in High Def last night.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:50 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's also garbage because Cablevision claims in their commercials that you get every game of all 9 NY teams in HD.

Way to falsely advertise.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
It's also garbage because Cablevision claims in their commercials that you get every game of all 9 NY teams in HD.

They don't say you get every game in HD though, I believe.

12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
ZacUSNYR

I didn't even get the game on Time Warner Albany. Had to watch an online feed. I think it was broke because the team looked horrible.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's still worth mentioning.

It's also laughable that between periods they had an iO High Def sponsored replay of the 5 on 3 goal I believe.

Old
12-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I pay for NHL Center Ice.
I pay for the regional sports package.
I pay for High Definition service.

I dont get Rangers game in HD unless I watch the alternate broadcasts. And I don't get Versus meaning I miss 10% of the games as it is.

Trust me, you guys have nothing to complain about.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:56 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I can't find the commercial online, but
“We launched HD in 2003 with a philosophy that high-definition programming should be available free to our digital cable customers, and more than 100 HD channels later we have held firm to that commitment, with a great and diverse array of programming that includes all HD games of all nine professional sports teams in our market,” said John Trierweiler, Cablevision’s senior vice president of product management.
http://www.optimum.net/downloads/iOTVJuneHD.pdf

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:05 AM
xbure9x

It sucks, but it's a play on words. They say "all the HD games of the 9 new york teams", not "all the games of the 9 ny teams in HD". See the difference? The way they word it, it leaves it so I guess they can contest that since the game was scheduled to be aired on MSG2, it is not considered an HD game since is not an HD channel. Bottom line being, we're SOL.

xbure9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Way back when I watched about 30 or so road games a year, thats all we had on free tv, Channel 9. Small grainy black and white TV, had to move the antenna around to get a good picture. Sometimes the game would 'blackout' and all we would get was sound, for like whole periods at a time.

Perspective.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:10 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Way back when I watched about 30 or so road games a year, thats all we had on free tv, Channel 9. Small grainy black and white TV, had to move the antenna around to get a good picture. Sometimes the game would 'blackout' and all we would get was sound, for like whole periods at a time.

Perspective.
That kind of attitude is what allowed cablevision to strip basic cable of about 10-15 channels without lowering the price.

It's not really about being able or not being able to watch the game, it's about how Cablevision consistently takes advantage of its customers, and long islanders.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

This has happened a fair share of times in the past, this really isn't new....

When the Rangers wind up playing on one of the overflow channels, it's never in HD....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
This has happened a fair share of times in the past, this really isn't new....

When the Rangers wind up playing on one of the overflow channels, it's never in HD....
I can't remember the last time it happened when they were at home, while the Knicks on the road and the Devils were the teams playing on the HD channels...

Old
12-31-2009, 10:18 AM
paythesnuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
It sucks, but it's a play on words. They say "all the HD games of the 9 new york teams", not "all the games of the 9 ny teams in HD". See the difference? The way they word it, it leaves it so I guess they can contest that since the game was scheduled to be aired on MSG2, it is not considered an HD game since is not an HD channel. Bottom line being, we're SOL.
That is correct. I remember called Cablevision the first time the Rangers were not broadcast in HD after getting my HD TV. They told me that they don't say that every game is in HD, but that they broadcast every local game that is offered in HD.

But I have FiOS now, so I only see the Rangers in HD whenever they are on Versus or NBC. The sacrifices we make to not have to give the Dolans any more of my money than what they get when I go to Rangers games live.

paythesnuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post

It's not really false advertising because they say you get 'all the HD games' of every team. The catch is, last night was not an HD game, even though it's their own game and they're the ones who decided not to produce it in HD.

I do agree it is false advertising in spirit, however. They try to make you think something that is not true. Typical Dolan.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I pay for NHL Center Ice.
I pay for the regional sports package.
I pay for High Definition service.

I dont get Rangers game in HD unless I watch the alternate broadcasts. And I don't get Versus meaning I miss 10% of the games as it is.

Trust me, you guys have nothing to complain about.
Yes, it's really annoying that MSG doesn't let anyone else use their HD feed. All of the games on Center Ice that use the MSG broadcast look like crap compared to the other broadcasts, it's really annoying

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yes, it's really annoying that MSG doesn't let anyone else use their HD feed. All of the games on Center Ice that use the MSG broadcast look like crap compared to the other broadcasts, it's really annoying
That's an issue between Dolan and the NHL. Dolan has wars going on all over the place!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
On my Verizon Fios every time there's a game on MSG 2 the sound doesn't work. You can hear the crowd, and every other detail but not the announcers. It drives me nuts. And after last night in which the Rangers were home, started at 7, and still had to be on MSG 2 instead of the ******* Knicks really pissed me off.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
That kind of attitude is what allowed cablevision to strip basic cable of about 10-15 channels without lowering the price.

It's not really about being able or not being able to watch the game, it's about how Cablevision consistently takes advantage of its customers, and long islanders.
Well, I'm not on their side, just offering up some perspective here. If you get to watch the game thats good thing no? If they offer ya every game in HD they should live up to it. But if thats not what they're saying then don't expect it to be

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:54 AM
broadwayblue

Yeah, Time Warner has the same kinds of ads. But the problem is if the game isn't broadcast in HD then they obviously can't give it to you. Been this way for years.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:55 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Well, I'm not on their side, just offering up some perspective here. If you get to watch the game thats good thing no? If they offer ya every game in HD they should live up to it. But if thats not what they're saying then don't expect it to be
I don't care what they said, there's no way the Devils should be in HD on MSG Network over the Rangers, especially if the Rangers are home. There should also, IMO, never be a time where the Knicks OR Rangers are not broadcast in HD when they're playing at Madison Square Garden. You have two MSG channels, the teams that play at MSG should get priority to those.

I don't know if it's the case, but seems to me like Cablevision just trying to keep the Devils happy so he can continue to broadcast them, and so he just pushes the Rangers off of the HD Channel since he has nothing to lose with them. I guess they also figure they don't want two hockey games in HD and the Knicks on the non-HD channel, so hence why the Rangers ended up on MSG-2.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:58 AM
NYIsles84

I also have written in and complained. And trust me, as an Isles fan, we get the shaft quite a bit. Why, a LI based cable company bumps us for the NJ team in HD is beyond me. Hell I;ve even seen us bumped for college sports. Obviously I can see the "well its the Islanders" comments coming, but still overall it's ******** what that company does.

NYIsles84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I can't remember the last time it happened when they were at home, while the Knicks on the road and the Devils were the teams playing on the HD channels...
Happened last year and has happened the previous years.... Sure it's more of a rare occurrence but I definitely remember having to visit MSG's website to look up their Overflow list to figure out what random channels the games were carried on.... One of the channels was something weird sounding like ZAP network or something.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles84 View Post
I also have written in and complained. And trust me, as an Isles fan, we get the shaft quite a bit. Why, a LI based cable company bumps us for the NJ team in HD is beyond me. Hell I;ve even seen us bumped for college sports. Obviously I can see the "well its the Islanders" comments coming, but still overall it's ******** what that company does.
agreed the Isles should also take priority, probably next to the Rangers and Knicks(as much as it pains me to include the knicks, or any NBA team in this). Cablevision pretty much owns Long Island between Cable, now all the phone subscribers, optimum online, and Newsday.

Old
12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
That's an issue between Dolan and the NHL. Dolan has wars going on all over the place!
It's actually an issue between Dolan/Cablevision and Verizon more than anything else. Sure, the NHL isn't happy about it, but it's really not their fight. And you're right. Dolan has so many wars going at once I think he forgets who he's fighting.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
cmb572

ah man i was upset about this last night. We got a huge flat screen tv for Christmas and invited friends over to have a few and watch the game. I was pretty pissed when I realized I couldn't find the game on HD. The one time I have people over to watch a game this happens. Piss poor!

cmb572 is offline   Reply With Quote