HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MSG contract with DirecTV expires tonight *UPDATE 1/4/10: Contract Renewed*

Old
12-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
I'm not sure what DirecTV is thinking. Are their customers really that concerned about rates vs. content? Wouldn't a sports fan pay a premium to get every channel he could want on one single service?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
are you sure that the other networks will also be blacked out for Ranger games?
Only in the NY area. If you have NHL CI, and you don't live in NY metro, you should still get the games (even on the MSG feed from NHL CI)

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They do. But the fact still remains that by having that monopoly with DIRECTV, they're leaving a large number of customers out of the picture. And that is never a good business decision.
There is an economic reason they do that. And the majority of people have the option of switching to DirecTV.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'm not sure what DirecTV is thinking. Are their customers really that concerned about rates vs. content? Wouldn't a sports fan pay a premium to get every channel he could want on one single service?
You have to keep this in perspective. The vast majority of DirecTV subscribers do not care whether MSG is on DirecTV or not.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
There is an economic reason they do that. And the majority of people have the option of switching to DirecTV.
At some point, you need to ask yourself whether lining your pockets with monopoly money is the best choice for your business.

There's a lot, and I mean a whole lot, or ways to reach your target audience in this day and age. Putting all your eggs in one very flawed basket is definitely a head scratcher.

I can give you about 10 reasons why DirecTV simply isn't an option for someone like myself. Luckily, I can't stand football and wouldn't give 2 craps if DirecTV's satellite fell out of the sky tomorrow.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
At some point, you need to ask yourself whether lining your pockets with monopoly money is the best choice for your business.
Monopoly money???

Quote:
There's a lot, and I mean a whole lot, or ways to reach your target audience in this day and age. Putting all your eggs in one very flawed basket is definitely a head scratcher.
I don't think the NFL needs economic advice.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes. Only the local area is affected. You can continue to watch the SD Rangers broadcasts, or the other team's broadcast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
Only in the NY area. If you have NHL CI, and you don't live in NY metro, you should still get the games (even on the MSG feed from NHL CI)
so, in essence, this doesnt effect me whatsoever, correct?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

I can give you about 10 reasons why DirecTV simply isn't an option for someone like myself. Luckily, I can't stand football and wouldn't give 2 craps if DirecTV's satellite fell out of the sky tomorrow.
and as someone who doesnt have cable as an option, I would probably have to move out of my house if satellite was no longer an option.

I live in a weird development where they run cable to literally every house, with the exception of all the ones on my little substreet. Its horrible. I would much rather have cable, believe me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I don't think the NFL needs economic advice.
It's not economic advice. I'm simply suggesting that limiting the US's most popular sport to 60 Million American televisions doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Kind of like when Gary Bettman valued Versus money over ESPN exposure.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
If you are in MSG territory you won't get them.
I don't get the games now even with Center Ice and no Msg channels

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
so, in essence, this doesnt effect me whatsoever, correct?
Only in that going forward...IF they don't come to an agreement or extention...you will no longer be able to watch the MSG telecast in the NHL Center Ice package, only the other team's telecast.

Like they do with Comcast Philly right now, they will only use that as a last resort if nothing else is available.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:23 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
It's not economic advice. I'm simply suggesting that limiting the US's most popular sport to 60 Million American televisions doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Kind of like when Gary Bettman valued Versus money over ESPN exposure.
It doesn't really compare to the Bettman thing, because the NFL doesn't need anymore exposure to be successful. In fact, the NFL I would imagine gets more money from direcTV than they would from them if it was available on other providers, because I'm sure many have switched to direcTV because of this, and there's a reason most restaurants/bars you go to have direcTV and not cable, and it would be sunday ticket.

The NFL on direcTV still creates a buzz. The NHL on versus does nothing for the NHL in terms of exposure, buzz, publicity, etc.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
That's not correct, the US's most popular sport is available to more people over broadcast TV than any other sport period. By far.

Totally different than the NHL switching to Versus.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
and as someone who doesnt have cable as an option, I would probably have to move out of my house if satellite was no longer an option.

I live in a weird development where they run cable to literally every house, with the exception of all the ones on my little substreet. Its horrible. I would much rather have cable, believe me.
Guess it depends on your options. I have the choice of FiOS or my local cable operator here and both blow satellite service out of the water.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Guess it depends on your options. I have the choice of FiOS or my local cable operator here and both blow satellite service out of the water.
Especially if you can't stand football!!!

But as a hockey fan, the NHL Center Ice package on FIOS or cable, compared to DirecTV is pitiful. And costs exactly the same.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
That's not correct, the US's most popular sport is available to more people over broadcast TV than any other sport period. By far.

Totally different than the NHL switching to Versus.
Except my neighbor, who's from a football fan from the midwest and can't watch his favorite NFL team without the dish.

I don't think you're following my point, so I'm just going to bow out. Good luck with your dish.....

Old
12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Except my neighbor, who's from a football fan from the midwest and can't watch his favorite NFL team without the dish.

I don't think you're following my point, so I'm just going to bow out. Good luck with your dish.....
OK thanks, I agree we are definitely talking apples and oranges.

My bottom line is, the NFL is ridiculously successful and doesn't need any of us to tell them they are making a bad business decision. They seem to have that part of their league figured out quite nicely.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:38 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They do. But the fact still remains that by having that monopoly with DIRECTV, they're leaving a large number of customers out of the picture. And that is never a good business decision.
That's like saying it's not a good business decision for BMW to make their cars so expensive that it takes a large number of potential customers out of the picture.

The fact is that people will do anything to watch NFL football, and the NFL knows it. 100s of thousands of people have switched to DirecTV for that reason alone. NFL moved Monday Night Football from free ABC (almost 40 years its been free) to pay-for ESPN. They created the Thursday night game which can only be seen now on premium channel NFL Network (which is available to all cable providers I think). I wouldn't be surprised if before you know it there's an NFL game every day of the week.

It's a short-term cash cow for the NFL. Long term (think generationally) these might be bad decisions as it could alienate a large portion of the population.

With that said, as a DirecTV customer I am very apathetic to this whole situation. I am not gonna cry if they cut MSG because then the people we all hate (Dolans & Co.) will be winning. Screw them, my integrity is worth way more than my desire to watch my favorite team which has been horribly managed by the people who will benefit if that integrity is compromised.

(because there is always the online streams tee hee hee).

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Jersey Girl

More details...

DirecTV is currently paying Cablevision $3.28 per subscriber for the two channels, MSG and MSG 2. Cablevision wants a 25% increase, to $4.10 per subscriber.

25% is a pretty big jump, considering that for half the year MSG has an awful lot of filler on.

Old
12-31-2009, 10:56 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I have DirectTV. This sucks.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I have DirectTV. This sucks.
It's not hopeless, there could be an agreement or an extention of the deadline. The only thing that worries me is the Dolans seem to love these kind of stalemates. They have for years.

The FCC needs to do something about separating companies that own the channels from those that provide the channels to the public. To some extent it's in Dolan's best interest to keep MSG off DirecTV.

But not in the fans' best interest.

Old
12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Nick00

Get Fios.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:29 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Wow, I'm going to lose it if I can no longer watch MSG.

Versus was bad enough... but not being able to watch the Rangers even with center ice?

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:31 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
Get Fios.
Not available in my area.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Nick00

Actually Fios sucks too for Rangers fans because there's no MSG HD.
Just the standard def channel.
Too bad because the picture quality is much better than Cablevision.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote