HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I the only one ready to and comfortable with dumping Threeormore?

Old
12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 500
I don't know how much this matters but here's Neuvirth's numbers from the playoffs(Hershey, and the time he spent in the OHL.)

GP: 49, W: 37, L: 11, SV% .931, GAA: 2.28

The numbers show that he steps it up during the playoffs, but he's still a rookie.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:49 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I don't know how much this matters but here's Neuvirth's numbers from the playoffs(Hershey, and the time he spent in the OHL.)

GP: 49, W: 37, L: 11, SV% .931, GAA: 2.28

The numbers show that he steps it up during the playoffs, but he's still a rookie.
Hey, he's never lost a playoff series. That's gotta count for something!

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
txpd

the main positive with neuvirth is that he did play thru the entire playoff run. he has been more durable than varlamov has been. in the long run, thats good news

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Darkproducer
HFBoards Sponsor

I am not confortable with 2 rookie goalies in the PO's, but to be honest, I'm just as comfortable with these two rookies as I am with Theo. I think experience is sometimes overrated. I dont think this team plays with the same focus or energy with theo in net. imho

Darkproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I don't care how long you've been in the league, you can't play the game without confidence and cough up horrendous rebounds at key times. Neuvirth's rebound control has been iffy now and then but those goals off of rebounds were the ugliest goaltending we've seen this season IMO.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
im not surprised you didnt
Of course you're not. While you're at it, could you tell us all how Nylander's veteran leadership from afar carried us last playoffs as well?

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Of course you're not. While you're at it, could you tell us all how Nylander's veteran leadership from afar carried us last playoffs as well?
What does Nylander have to do with this? Theo was on the team...and by all accounts was very supportive to Varly and was being a team guy.

To just dismiss that he could have had any positive effect is just short sighted and well......not a very good observation

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:14 PM
txpd

I think you can make a good case that Washington's playoff problems the past two seasons have included a good measure of unprepared by way of inexperience. That goes throughout the lineup.

Most of the Caps young players have gained enough experience to know what they need to do. You think Mike Green didnt learn from what happened last season. But when you put a position as important as goaltending in the playoffs in the hands of a 22 year old with one NHL playoff series win and one nightmare game 7 lose and a 21 year old who has 0 NHL playoff games, you are opening the door for a meltdown.

I think the Caps can win the cup this season, but I think they would be best to do it without having to lean heavily on their goaltender.

One last thing. Theodore played in Montreal and in Colorado. Two Stanley Cup environments and won big playoff games. If his first game this season in the playoffs in ECF game 5 at Pittsburgh tied 2 games a piece, I am more comfortable with him than Neuvy getting his first stanley cup playoff game ever.

But maybe that is just me.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
One last thing. Theodore played in Montreal and in Colorado. Two Stanley Cup environments and won big playoff games. If his first game this season in the playoffs in ECF game 5 at Pittsburgh tied 2 games a piece, I am more comfortable with him than Neuvy getting his first stanley cup playoff game ever.

Theo, Varly and Neuvirth all have the same number of Conference Final starts on their resume.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Alle

Theodore was not at all in the game against the Canes, he was simply not up for it at all. It seems not determined.

I think from a team perspective he is not that crucial, altough of course I and the rest of us here do not see whats going on beside matches. However, he has went through some tough times, and I do not think the Caps will dump him that easily.

Alle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:22 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Theo, Varly and Neuvirth all have the same number of Conference Final starts on their resume.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:28 PM
LetsGoBears

Basic facts are… Theo's contract would be nice to have off the books considering the next couple years. Varly and to a lesser degree Neuvy has show they can step up and be counted on. I think most would agree that we would get damn close to the save level of goal keeping if not better with the two rookies from the start. Let's not forget Holtby… With Neuvy in DC this hands over the reigns of the Hershey job to Holtby. This kid has been nothing short of spectacular from the first puck drop. One of the three will have to go…lets get it sorted out sooner then later.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:32 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Basic facts are… Theo's contract would be nice to have off the books considering the next couple years.
Um, he's a UFA after this season. No need to worry about his contract totals after this season ends.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Um, he's a UFA after this season. No need to worry about his contract totals after this season ends.
Ach…thought so, but the thread title made me double guess that…

Old
12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Ach…thought so, but the thread title made me double guess that…
I think the dude had just finally had enough.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
txpd

I'll say this, trading Theo and dumping him would be a bold move. Bold or reckless. Not boring for sure

Old
12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
mcvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Nah, it's not just you. Seems that you and Mothra are the only level-headed guys in this discussion with something intelligent to say. Everyone else is just acting in a completely reactionary way.

mcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I have nothing to add to what should be an absurd thread but I do like yellow arrows through all of my flaming pucks! So if the thread won't die I have to reply.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Mmmmm....flaming pucks.

I can hardly see those on my iPhone...its just a little red dot with a smaller yellow dot.

Old
12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I'd say hold on to Theo unless another team out there gets really desperate for Goalie depth and they offer the Caps something crazy to get him. Odds of that happening are slim aren't they? Regardless, it would appear to me like the two kids are a year away from taking over the team.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:44 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Thats not how I remember it. I recall him saying he was surprised but I also remember comments (either in print or on tv) that he was being supportive to Varly.

Maybe i missed something but all i read was that Theo seemed annoyed, said "I just work here" and broke a stick. Without actually being there im not sure who this is a "tantrum" or as another poster said "a complaint tornado".

Serioulsy...was there a tantrum thrown? or is it possible its a pro player thats frustrated...both with his play and with his position on the team?

breaking sticks doesnt phase me....how many did Kolzig break?
Alot of times over the past couple seasons we saw Clark, Jurcina, Erskine and even Nylander be healthy scratches. None complained and went about their business (maybe Nylander said some things but I dont recall him being a distraction in the slightest).

When we got Huet and Brent Johnson didnt even get to practice with the team he took it in stride.

One of the reasons I got negative vibes from Kolzig was how he reacted after Huet got all the starts.

I put "tantrum" in quotes for a reason. Not sure what you call it (perhaps and "outburst"?).

Theodore should just shut up and focus on his game. If his game is good enough he'll get starts. If he is outplayed by kids he should realize HE is at fault and internalize it.

Fact is he is in a contract year and knows the only way he can make bank is by playing and not getting sat in favor of rookies.

To me it reeks of looking after himself as opposed to the team. He will grow into a cancer in the lockerroom if he keeps this up and at that point I'd send him to Hershey for the rest of the season and call up Neuvirth or grab a cheap backup.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Alot of times over the past couple seasons we saw Clark, Jurcina, Erskine and even Nylander be healthy scratches. None complained and went about their business (maybe Nylander said some things but I dont recall him being a distraction in the slightest).

When we got Huet and Brent Johnson didnt even get to practice with the team he took it in stride.

One of the reasons I got negative vibes from Kolzig was how he reacted after Huet got all the starts.

I put "tantrum" in quotes for a reason. Not sure what you call it (perhaps and "outburst"?).

Theodore should just shut up and focus on his game. If his game is good enough he'll get starts. If he is outplayed by kids he should realize HE is at fault and internalize it.

Fact is he is in a contract year and knows the only way he can make bank is by playing and not getting sat in favor of rookies.

To me it reeks of looking after himself as opposed to the team. He will grow into a cancer in the lockerroom if he keeps this up and at that point I'd send him to Hershey for the rest of the season and call up Neuvirth or grab a cheap backup.

to me this reeks of someone reading way too much into it

Old
12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
to me this reeks of someone reading way too much into it
Not really. It's a contract year for him and also given the hellish off-season the guy is probably in rough shape at this point.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Not really. It's a contract year for him and also given the hellish off-season the guy is probably in rough shape at this point.
im not following.....usually he plays well in contract years so are you saying because he had the death of a child his game is off and he should be sent to the minors?

He played good hockey in October, which came after the off-season....so I dont know where you are going with this.

The guy said "I just work here" ...broke a stick.....and has been off his game for too long a stretch for anyones liking. So, people say he is/will be a cancer...he goes into "tantrums" and is a "complaint tornado" and you dont think its not people reading too much into it?

like others have said....im happy he wants back in and isnt saying "oh well..i get paid anyway"

Old
12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
It would seem Theo's next performance in net will say all that needs to be said about him and his roll on that team. If he is the Vet he should be he will step up and play like a pro. If he is feeling sorry for himself he will perform like he did the other night. We shall see.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote