HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/31/09 Montreal @ Florida 5PM RDS/FS-F

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
habspinner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Second time Price steals us a game then we go with Halak, like we did earlier in the year when he gave the Calgary game to Halak.

Wtv.
but you do know that Price played well, but far from stole us a game here? He was good, but not like the wall that he was in Buffalo. That was one of Price's best games of the year, and then we went with Halak in Calgary, whereas this was at the beginning of the season and Price didn't neccesarily need to be spelled by Halak in only the 3rd game. Then I wasn't keen on the idea of not riding the hot hand in Price; he cooled down, and then we had the infamous Vancouver game where it all went downhill for a while for him.

This is a completely different situation. Price played well, but Halak was/is the main reason we did so well this trip. He deserves this start.....however Price still is the man

Old
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Andy

Another thing. For me at least, the jury is still out on Halak. I think he's a good goalie, but I still cannot judge him because 7 of his 10 wins have come against 3 teams. There hasn't been much to analyze him on, plus he's been getting a lot of goal support.

Same goes for Price, the jury is still out because he's inconsistent, but like Halak he's shown he can steal games. He stole the games in Toronto and Buffalo. The Washington game. The Boston game where we won in shootout. Last night's game.

IMO both goalies are at the same level of play currently, but why I would stick with Price is because he's currently at the same level as Halak and is two years younger which is quite impressive.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Yes because clearly our team played a spectacular game yesterday. We would have won with Stephan Fiset in goal yesterday that's how well he played.

Halak let in a couple of softies during his wins as well, I don't see what you're getting at. Why can't you be happy that we have 2 good goalies?

Price deserves to play today, but Halak will get the start and Price will get Buffalo since Halak's performances against Buffalo have been quite poor.

Price stole the game yesterday, especially in the 3rd he made some huge saves that allowed us to take the game into OT. But I know who you are, you don't like Price it's quite clear it's over a year that you get to bash him any chance you get.

I am happy, you were questioning the decisions made not me.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:43 PM
xduckiex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
That's precisely who I blame

Master Baiter I Say
For the record, it started just before I posted haha

Old
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xduckiex View Post
For the record, it started just before I posted haha
lol good stuff!

I think I just blushed..

Old
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
but you do know that Price played well, but far from stole us a game here? He was good, but not like the wall that he was in Buffalo. That was one of Price's best games of the year, and then we went with Halak in Calgary, whereas this was at the beginning of the season and Price didn't neccesarily need to be spelled by Halak in only the 3rd game. Then I wasn't keen on the idea of not riding the hot hand in Price; he cooled down, and then we had the infamous Vancouver game where it all went downhill for a while for him.

This is a completely different situation. Price played well, but Halak was/is the main reason we did so well this trip. He deserves this start.....however Price still is the man
Yes of course. Halak has played well, but the team is not being consistent with what they preach if they remove Price after a win. This is the second time they do this. Price played a great game yesterday, not a mind-blowing performance like Buffalo and Boston earlier in the year, but he still played a great game. For all we know this could have led to another little goalie streak so why remove him?

I'm just a little annoyed with the goalie situation, both are equally good and the stats I provided in another thread prove that. I still think it's wrong to remove a goalie after a win especially when he was the deciding factor in that win. Had Montreal won 6-1 yesterday without Price having to do much work, I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that we won because he kept us in the game is what bothers me.

What happens if the Habs win 2-1 tonight and Halak has a similar performance like Price yesterday? Do we keep him in Buffalo? If so, then why?

Old
12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
smtevo

I feel that if Halak played that well last night he would have been in goal again tonight. I am starting to think Price needs to request a trade like Halak to get that starting job again.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Stradale

Great another debate of Price vs. Halak.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:53 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
first game in 3 that Price doesn't give a CP freebie and we're now calling it a "steal".
CP freebie. I like Price but I lol'd

Old
12-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Andy

Quote:
I am happy, you were questioning the decisions made not me.
lol. nice try to cover yourself. yes I questioned the decision, but you bashed Price so what's your point?

Old
12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I knew they Martin was gonna come back with Halak no matter the outcome of last nights game.Doesn't matter,Halak plays well and we win that's all I care about,Price can have Buffalo at home Sunday since Halak had 2 pretty bad games against Buffalo.

I doubt they are showcasing him,+ the Flyers have just won 4 in a row

Anyways let's worry about tonight,must win

GO GO

Old
12-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Hermamoud

Can't Martin put both goalies on the ice and 4 skaters so that we can see both of them play at the same time?

Old
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Well, I don't give a **** who is in net. Just win.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:00 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Yes of course. Halak has played well, but the team is not being consistent with what they preach if they remove Price after a win. This is the second time they do this. Price played a great game yesterday, not a mind-blowing performance like Buffalo and Boston earlier in the year, but he still played a great game. For all we know this could have led to another little goalie streak so why remove him?

I'm just a little annoyed with the goalie situation, both are equally good and the stats I provided in another thread prove that. I still think it's wrong to remove a goalie after a win especially when he was the deciding factor in that win. Had Montreal won 6-1 yesterday without Price having to do much work, I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that we won because he kept us in the game is what bothers me.

What happens if the Habs win 2-1 tonight and Halak has a similar performance like Price yesterday? Do we keep him in Buffalo? If so, then why?
No, I think you build on Carey's performance in Tampa and have him start at home. Halak has had a rough time with Buffalo, and Price was lights out against them. I think you play to that strength as well as a coach when making decisions. That's what having two very good goalies is all about. There's quite a few teams in this situation right now in the league, the two goalie tandem has worked well for a number of teams (Nashville, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta).

This is the situation that we're in, but I don't think that Price has lost his #1 status, I just think he's going to play 55, instead of 65 games, and at his age that's just fine. I do agree as a fan it's tough to hear all the banter back and forth about this debate, but as a fan it's also nice to be this lucky with our goalie situation - but then again that's always been one of the Habs' big strengths no matter in what era.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Stradale

Quote:
first game in 3 that Price doesn't give a CP freebie and we're now calling it a "steal".
Maybe not a steal, but he got us 2 points. He did make some key saves. When you remember the bad thing of a guy, you clearly hate him. Price was weak on the goal against the Pens and was terribly unlucky on that goal that hit his gloves, the post, the back of his leg and went in, and now. I like how you use that to judge the perfomance of each goalie. Bravo sir, very smart.

Of course people like you wouldnt call last night a steal but as long as Carey Price is the first star of the game, Im okay with that.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
InglewoodJack

Seriously starting a debate over this? Seriously?
Look. Canadiens give up an obscene amount of shots. Goalie is the most physical position, you don't get any breaks. Last night's game ended at 9:45PM. Tomorrow's game starts at 5:15. 19:30 hours between starts. BUT WHYYY? In less than one day, you're going to be facing a minimum of 65 shots, but probably closer to 75-80 shots. Price is very good, but no one, including the coaching staff expects him to give this much. Hell, do you think his "alter-ego" Fleury would be called in in a situation like this? No.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
Seriously starting a debate over this? Seriously?
Look. Canadiens give up an obscene amount of shots. Goalie is the most physical position, you don't get any breaks. Last night's game ended at 9:45PM. Tomorrow's game starts at 5:15. 19:30 hours between starts. BUT WHYYY? In less than one day, you're going to be facing a minimum of 65 shots, but probably closer to 75-80 shots. Price is very good, but no one, including the coaching staff expects him to give this much. Hell, do you think his "alter-ego" Fleury would be called in in a situation like this? No.
I have no problem that Halak starts today. It shouldnt even be a debate. Two games in less than 20 hours, you split to work for the goalie.

I just find it stupid that some people are still blaming Price for the goals on his glove side that happened like 2-3 weeks ago.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Maybe not a steal, but he got us 2 points. He did make some key saves. When you remember the bad thing of a guy, you clearly hate him. Price was weak on the goal against the Pens and was terribly unlucky on that goal that hit his gloves, the post, the back of his leg and went in, and now. I like how you use that to judge the perfomance of each goalie. Bravo sir, very smart.

Of course people like you wouldnt call last night a steal but as long as Carey Price is the first star of the game, Im okay with that.
My point is in reference to the hyperbole and use of words like steal. That word should be more strictly reserved.

Price played well, a case can be made for starting him again this game or next, but the coach has good options and should consider to exercise them.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Fire Brunet*

I got the solution! Why dont they change goalie each period like when they change trios

Old
12-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Maxpac

I just can't wait to see the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line again, they have been nothing short of flat out dominating in the last 2 games. Andrei should also have a big game againts a mediocre D squad.

Go Habs Go.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Two games in less than 20 hours, you split to work for the goalie.
What? Price is young and healthy, he can survive 2 games in 24hrs after resting for nearly 2 weeks IMO.

I love both goalies but I find it very weird that Halak is starting tonight...Martin was usually logical in his decisions (you win you're in) but tonight is strange.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Lizard King*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
I got the solution! Why dont they change goalie each period like when they change trios
THE NEW SYSTEM

Old
12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
But then 1 goalie would play more 1 game!! I say they switch the goalies out every 10 minutes so each play half a period!

It's the perfect solution!

Old
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
What? Price is young and healthy, he can survive 2 games in 24hrs after resting for nearly 2 weeks IMO.

I love both goalies but I find it very weird that Halak is starting tonight...Martin was usually logical in his decisions (you win you're in) but tonight is strange.
Price will start against Buffalo, a team that has had Halak number. May as well give Halak Washington on Tuesday.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Price will start against Buffalo, a team that has had Halak number. May as well give Halak Washington on Tuesday.
Price had our only win against Washington.

Closed Thread