HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG contract with DirecTV expires tonight *UPDATE 1/4/10: Contract Renewed*

Old
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
Get Fios.
There are many many reasons why Fios is terrible for hockey fans.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Honestly, this could the worst news I've been dealt in a while. I pretty much have to keep DirecTV because of Sunday Ticket (the 49ers are my favorite sports team, and I need to watch them). Ughhhh. They better reach a contract or I'm going to be very upset.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
There are many many reasons why Fios is terrible for hockey fans.
Like?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
what about here in Atlanta? I would assume I would still get the alternate broadcasts right?
I'm sure you'd get Rangers Thrashers as normal. Spot beaming..

ahh...DirecTV...

from 2000-2003 I had DirecTV and a seperate PC in my room running emulator software with a programed card on one serial and an emulator card going into the box from another. Ahh....those were the days!!!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Like?
No MSG HD, the Center Ice package is awful and costs exactly the same as the DirecTV Center Ice package, the DVR is bad, etc...

Old
12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Actually Fios sucks too for Rangers fans because there's no MSG HD.
Just the standard def channel.
Too bad because the picture quality is much better than Cablevision.

Cablevision just plain sucks period. That's why I switched to DirectTV.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Nick00

Quote:
No MSG HD, the Center Ice package is awful and costs exactly the same as the DirecTV Center Ice package, the DVR is bad, etc...
I had Center Ice last year, including the HD channels and I had no problems with it.
I also get the NHL Network in HD and that's the best channel you can have (in the US) as a hockey fan.
Having no MSG HD does suck though.

Old
12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I had Center Ice last year, including the HD channels and I had no problems with it.
I also get the NHL Network in HD and that's the best channel you can have (in the US) as a hockey fan.
DirecTV also receives the NHL Network.

How many HD games did you get with the Center Ice package each night?

Old
12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
wa2k99

Live in chicago, have DirecTV. The hits just keep on coming.

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

So all you guys with DirectTV will no longer be able to view any Ranger games on MSG as of tomorrow???

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So all you guys with DirectTV will no longer be able to view any Ranger games on MSG as of tomorrow???
The OP explains it. They could reach an agreement today, they could extend the deadline, and they could also pull the channel today.

As I said, there has been no posturing on the DirecTV side like there was when the Versus contract was running out, with scrolls at the bottom of the screen saying the channel may be going away soon.

But with Dolan anything is possible.

Old
12-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I'm going to help you out here, because anyone can look this up on the FIOS/In Demand website anyway.

FIOS has one HD channel. That means one or two HD games a night max, if they carry a 7PM and a 10PM HD game. That's it, regardless how many games are being played.

Compared to DirecTV, where there can be 10 or more HD games a night depending on how many games there are. And for those few amount of HD games you pay the exact same price for CI as DirecTV subscribers too.

Hence my comment regarding FIOS being a terrible alternative for a hockey fan.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
There is an economic reason they do that. And the majority of people have the option of switching to DirecTV.
Nobody ever turns down a majority for a greater majority when it comes to potential sales.

12-31-2009, 01:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
That's like saying it's not a good business decision for BMW to make their cars so expensive that it takes a large number of potential customers out of the picture.
That's not at all comparable.

Quote:
The fact is that people will do anything to watch NFL football, and the NFL knows it
No, that's not a fact..
Quote:
100s of thousands of people have switched to DirecTV for that reason alone.
And the people who didn't move to DIRECTV? The NFL doesn't want/need their money?

Quote:
NFL moved Monday Night Football from free ABC (almost 40 years its been free) to pay-for ESPN. They created the Thursday night game which can only be seen now on premium channel NFL Network (which is available to all cable providers I think). I wouldn't be surprised if before you know it there's an NFL game every day of the week.
I don't disagree. Doesn't mean it's smart business.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Nick00

Quote:
I'm going to help you out here, because anyone can look this up on the FIOS/In Demand website anyway.

FIOS has one HD channel. That means one or two HD games a night max, if they carry a 7PM and a 10PM HD game. That's it, regardless how many games are being played.

Compared to DirecTV, where there can be 10 or more HD games a night depending on how many games there are. And for those few amount of HD games you pay the exact same price for CI as DirecTV subscribers too.

Hence my comment regarding FIOS being a terrible alternative for a hockey fan.
Yeah I'm sure DirecTV is better for Center Ice, but I don't have it this year anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
I'm a hockey fan but it's not important enough that I'm going to decide which TV provider to choose based solely on hockey.
The NHL network is good enough for me, and the overall service has been great in every other way so I'm happy.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Nobody ever turns down a majority for a greater majority when it comes to potential sales.
Obviously the NFL has decided this business model is what works best for them. If the NFL has proven anything, it's that they have the incredible ability to maximize revenue. I don't think they need economic advice from you or me.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure DirecTV is better for Center Ice, but I don't have it this year anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
I'm a hockey fan but it's not important enough that I'm going to decide which TV provider to choose based solely on hockey.
The NHL network is good enough for me, and the overall service has been great in every other way so I'm happy.
I was just pointing out the many advantages DirecTV has over Fios for hockey fans, in response to your

Quote:
get fios
post.

You asked me to explain why I said fios is not as good for hockey fans, and I did. If you're happy that's fine, but many people like having the Rangers and a whole bunch of other games in HD every night.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Simple solution: Get rid of Direct TV and get IO.

I made the switch awhile ago...Direct TV is garbage.

edit - actually only flaw with Io/cablevision is Center Ice is still not in HD...so thats actually a big flaw.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Simple solution: Get rid of Direct TV and get IO.

I made the switch awhile ago...Direct TV is garbage.

edit - actually only flaw with Io/cablevision is Center Ice is still not in HD...so thats actually a big flaw.
Yeah, that is a pretty big flaw for anyone who has an HD TV...

And you pay the same price for all those SD games as people with a dish who are getting tons of HD games.

One of my favorite phone calls ever was when I called Cablevision about 12 years ago and told them to get their stuff and get out! No way I'm ever going back, Cablevision is garbage.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Nick00

Quote:
I was just pointing out the many advantages DirecTV has over Fios for hockey fans, in response to your

post.

You asked me to explain why I said fios is not as good for hockey fans, and I did. If you're happy that's fine, but many people like having the Rangers and a whole bunch of other games in HD every night.
I forgot for some reason that there's no MSG HD channel on Fios.
They really need to change that... there's nothing worse than standard def on an HD TV.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Yeah, that is a pretty big flaw for anyone who has an HD TV...

And you pay the same price for all those SD games as people with a dish who are getting tons of HD games.

One of my favorite phone calls ever was when I called Cablevision about 12 years ago and told them to get their stuff and get out! No way I'm ever going back, Cablevision is garbage.
Thats your choice..but then you'll only be able to watch about 5 games a year on NBC.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Thats your choice..but then you'll only be able to watch about 5 games a year on NBC.
Not sure what you're referring to here. Does Cablevision get more NBC games than DirecTV?

Old
12-31-2009, 02:00 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Not sure what you're referring to here. Does Cablevision get more NBC games than DirecTV?
Well if you stay with Direct TV then you lose about 65 games on MSG, and 7 games on Vs so that leaves you with only getting whatever games are on NBC.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Well if you stay with Direct TV then you lose about 65 games on MSG, and 7 games on Vs so that leaves you with only getting whatever games are on NBC.
Oh OK I get it. Really wasn't sure what you meant.

Well MSG is not lost yet, we'll see what happens going forward. And even if it is eventually lost, there are ways to manipulate DirecTV to still get Ranger games anyway.

That leaves the seven Versus games, and hopefully they'll come to an agreement as well. Would be shocked it if was not resolved before the playoffs...especially since Dolan is not involved in this one!

Either way it's still better than Cablevision, with their crappy Center Ice package, crappy baseball and basketball packages, no football package, crappy DVR's, and crappy customer service.

When you call DirecTV you actually get a PERSON, and they actually help! I called to complain about Versus being taken off the air and they credited the entire $160 I paid for the Center Ice package.

Try getting something like THAT from Cablevision...

But if Cablevision works for you...enjoy!

Old
12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
That's not at all comparable.
If all the professional sports leagues were car companies, what would the NFL be? It would be a luxury car. Look at the price points for every NFL product (tickets, tv package) relative to the other sports and it confirms it. Low quantity, high "quality".

The NHL is like one of Detroit's big three. Weak with systemic failures overall.

Quote:
No, that's not a fact..
It's not written in the NFL league charter or anything but the case that the nation comes to a grinding halt every Sunday in Fall / Early Winter is pretty good evidence supporting my point.

Quote:
And the people who didn't move to DIRECTV? The NFL doesn't want/need their money?
No. I am pretty sure NFL owners and execs. aren't living off food stamps.

Quote:
I don't disagree. Doesn't mean it's smart business.
Sure it looks good to increase volume of sales, but long term if they become dependent on that income and then the other cable providers decide to play hardball on negotiating rates, it cuts into their profit margins. Again, the NFL operates on quaility (i.e. profitability) not quantity (sales) [see this article of WalMart and Vlasic for a good example of how increasing your reach can have negative effects: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html, Vlasic is a premium brand of pickles so it is comparable].

It's a good strategy for them. DirecTV has leverage over their competitors and the NFL can charge a higher premium to DirectTV instead of having to make up the decreasing in revenue by managing packages to more providers at a lower rate.

To say its a bad business decision to do this I think is keeping things to simplistic. Like posters have mentioned the NFL does really well and doesn't need to second guess their strategy.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote