HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2009, 05:12 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisBluesFan View Post
I have a question. Why didn't Palushaj play today?
Oh...look! It's Aaron Palushaj's little brother!

He needed a rest and with Armstrong coming back and the addition of Pelletier, someone had to sit. Palushaj's been working very hard and probably needs to give it a rest. Sonne, on the other hand, has been a lazy slug and does NOT need a rest. He needs to get the lead out of his ass.

Old
12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Oh...look! It's Aaron Palushaj's little brother!

He needed a rest and with Armstrong coming back and the addition of Pelletier, someone had to sit. Palushaj's been working very hard and probably needs to give it a rest. Sonne, on the other hand, has been a lazy slug and does NOT need a rest. He needs to get the lead out of his ass.
Maybe his true skill/potential is coming out as he gets closer to the NHL, the WHL is a joke of a league IMO, I used to be a Portland Winterhawk season ticket holder when I lived in Oregon for a few years

Old
12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
execwrite

Jonas Junland and rookie center Lars Eller won berths on the PlanetUSA roster.

Junland was an AHL All-Star last season, too, and followed up his rookie campaign with 8 goals, 16 assists and a +11 rating in 33 games so far in 2009-10.

Eller, the Blues No. 1 pick (13th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, has 6 goals and 20 assists in 28 games in his rookie season.

Old
12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Jonas Junland and rookie center Lars Eller won berths on the PlanetUSA roster.

Junland was an AHL All-Star last season, too, and followed up his rookie campaign with 8 goals, 16 assists and a +11 rating in 33 games so far in 2009-10.

Eller, the Blues No. 1 pick (13th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, has 6 goals and 20 assists in 28 games in his rookie season.
Great news.

If Junland can keep up his offensive numbers, the Blues are going to have to give him an honest shot at making the team next season. He has paid his dues and I haven't really heard about him complaining about being stuck in the AHL. Even if his defense isn't quite up to snuff yet, the Blues could at least use him as a bottom-pairing PP guy and help him improve his defense along the way.

Old
12-30-2009, 06:41 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Great news.

If Junland can keep up his offensive numbers, the Blues are going to have to give him an honest shot at making the team next season. He has paid his dues and I haven't really heard about him complaining about being stuck in the AHL. Even if his defense isn't quite up to snuff yet, the Blues could at least use him as a bottom-pairing PP guy and help him improve his defense along the way.
It is going to boil down to having the right vet to pair up with Junland. He plays the same side as Brewer, Jackman and Cola. So on the other side we have EJ(maybe) Weaver(good choice) Polak(good choice) or Pietrangelo(potentially bad choice). It makes it real tough to insert a guy that probably does deserve a shot into an already inexperienced roster. There are just so many scenarios in there that can change the situation for him.

Old
12-30-2009, 08:31 PM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
It is going to boil down to having the right vet to pair up with Junland. He plays the same side as Brewer, Jackman and Cola. So on the other side we have EJ(maybe) Weaver(good choice) Polak(good choice) or Pietrangelo(potentially bad choice). It makes it real tough to insert a guy that probably does deserve a shot into an already inexperienced roster. There are just so many scenarios in there that can change the situation for him.
With Weaver and Colaiacavo hitting free agency next season, doesn't that set things up perfectly?

EJ - Jackman
Pietrangelo - Brewer
Polak - Junland

or some such combination? We would still have Strachan as depth, or another Weaver/Sydor 1-year signing.

Old
12-31-2009, 09:56 AM
w00t

Eller didn't play last night. Anyone know why?

Old
12-31-2009, 02:58 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
With Weaver and Colaiacavo hitting free agency next season, doesn't that set things up perfectly?

EJ - Jackman
Pietrangelo - Brewer
Polak - Junland

or some such combination? We would still have Strachan as depth, or another Weaver/Sydor 1-year signing.
But the question is Junland a better option than Cola? I could see that question being answered soley with Carlo's salary demands. Junland has very good vision and a better shot than Carlo does but the passing is so hard to judge because of the speed difference between the AHL and NHL. Carlo is far more responsible defensively though and that is a big factor. He also already has NHL level strength and conditioning I won't say Junland necessarily will not by that time but it's an unknown.

That lineup is also very inexperienced and due for a whole lot of incosistency in their play. EJ would absolutely need to consistently play at a #1 d-man level for that lineup to even have a remote chance of being a competitive d unit. Pietrangelo and Junland are going to have plenty of ups and downs and likely at the same time which would cause the other four to be leaned on real heavily at times. I don't see the front office being keen on forcing a situation like that on a team that will certainly have the expectations of being a playoff caliber team next year.

Old
12-31-2009, 04:59 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
But the question is Junland a better option than Cola? I could see that question being answered soley with Carlo's salary demands. Junland has very good vision and a better shot than Carlo does but the passing is so hard to judge because of the speed difference between the AHL and NHL. Carlo is far more responsible defensively though and that is a big factor. He also already has NHL level strength and conditioning I won't say Junland necessarily will not by that time but it's an unknown.

That lineup is also very inexperienced and due for a whole lot of incosistency in their play. EJ would absolutely need to consistently play at a #1 d-man level for that lineup to even have a remote chance of being a competitive d unit. Pietrangelo and Junland are going to have plenty of ups and downs and likely at the same time which would cause the other four to be leaned on real heavily at times. I don't see the front office being keen on forcing a situation like that on a team that will certainly have the expectations of being a playoff caliber team next year.
That's why it infuriates me so much the way they're handling Pietrangelo. If they had given him a lot of experience this year, then the defense wouldn't be so inexperienced next year and they would be able to handle having Junland or Cole in addition to Pietrangelo. Now, if Pietrangelo goes back to juniors, that will cause the Blues to have to carry two rookies if they want to play both Junland and Pietrangelo.

Old
12-31-2009, 06:05 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
This also makes me think that:
1) They're planning on re-signing Carlo (or would like to) in order to keep enough experienced guys in there.

2) They're planning to deal one of Junland/Pietro/Cole before next season.

It would suck for Junland to be stuck in the AHL for another year. Seems he could definitely be playing for someone.

But like JD likes to say, you can never have enough NHL caliber defensemen.

Old
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
ChicagoBlues

I am discontinuing maintenance of The Peoria Rivermen thread over at The AHL board.

It was a huge success and drew much needed attention The Peoria Rivermen franchise and associated press.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:06 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
This also makes me think that:
1) They're planning on re-signing Carlo (or would like to) in order to keep enough experienced guys in there.

2) They're planning to deal one of Junland/Pietro/Cole before next season.

It would suck for Junland to be stuck in the AHL for another year. Seems he could definitely be playing for someone.

But like JD likes to say, you can never have enough NHL caliber defensemen.
Even if they don't make a deal they might just get a free agent defenseman that fits well, and isn't considering retirement.

Injuries seem to give young guys plenty of opportunities, but if the experienced guys miss significant portions of the season someone in our D will get over-worked or end up playing situations they aren't strong in. The young guys or vets would suffer without something more than a stable 7th NHL'er for a change and we might have the salary to afford it during the off season.

Either way they obtain the player, someone proven could really balance out the defense. It seems like it's just a smarter move for the team's record and the environment we introduce more young guys into when they reach the NHL.

Old
01-28-2010, 12:06 AM
DieHeartRedWingsFan

Palushaj is going to play for Friday game I read online. After missing 7 games.

Old
01-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisBluesFan View Post
Palushaj is going to play for Friday game I read online. After missing 7 games.
Good to hear he is coming back.

Old
01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
BlueBeard

No Palushaj tonight so I guess he wasn't ready. Pelletier was a good pickup for the Rivermen he's a good playmaker at the AHL level. He made a beauty of a fake shot to drop pass to Junland in the high slot and Junland's shot is just lethal in that range. If Pelletier and Eller had some halfway decent triggermen their point totals would be a good deal higher because they each create more than their fair share of solid scoring chances.

Bishop must be a Cardinals fan because he made a couple diving saves tonight that would make Ozzie Smith proud.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:01 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

What is Wamsley's record since he took over? Seems like he's doing a rather poor job with a pretty talented team.

I believe Peoria was 6th in total offense and 4th in PP when Payne left. They haven't been scoring anywhere close to that lately.

Old
01-30-2010, 08:14 AM
execwrite

from pjstar.com

Rivermen rookie right wing Aaron Palushaj (ankle injury) missed his eighth straight game Friday and is likely out for the three-game weekend.

Old
01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
schronote

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
from pjstar.com

Rivermen rookie right wing Aaron Palushaj (ankle injury) missed his eighth straight game Friday and is likely out for the three-game weekend.
is it just a high ankle sprain or what?

Old
01-30-2010, 11:22 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
What is Wamsley's record since he took over? Seems like he's doing a rather poor job with a pretty talented team.

I believe Peoria was 6th in total offense and 4th in PP when Payne left. They haven't been scoring anywhere close to that lately.
He's one game under 500 after the loss last night. There hasn't really been a dip in the special teams since he took over. Their powerplay has some nice creativity in it between Eller and Junland. The PK is essentially Stastny and the goalie.

I wouldn't say that Wamsley is doing a poor job nor are the Rivermen a pretty talented team. In reality it's middle of the pack for both. Horrific turnovers in their own end has been a problem all year under both Payne and Wamsley it's nothing to do with coaching. It comes down to individual players making bad decisions and that is an AHL talent level issue.

Old
02-04-2010, 05:31 PM
DieHeartRedWingsFan

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2...tion-college-/

Palushaj pronounced himself ready to rejoin his teammates for Friday night’s game against the Rockford Ice Hogs.

Old
02-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

Has Eller looked tired or worn out in the past 10 or so games? I was curious to know because I think his conditioning could be a determining factor on whether or not we trade Kariya.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:44 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Has Eller looked tired or worn out in the past 10 or so games? I was curious to know because I think his conditioning could be a determining factor on whether or not we trade Kariya.
Oddly enough I was just coming in to fan the flames a bit on this very topic. Eller has played LW tonight through the end of the first two periods. Now this is the first game I've been able to watch in about two weeks so I'm not sure how long this has been going on but the last game I watched he was at center. It's not unheard of for him to take an odd shift at LW but I don't remember an entire two periods.

I'm not sure if conditioning is/will be an issue but I guarantee consistency will be. Some periods he looks like a man amongst boys others he looks just ok.

Palushaj with a beauty of a goal tonight. Sonne is moving his feet more and starting to look a little better but he has a long way to go.

Old
02-21-2010, 12:53 AM
stlweir

Sonne scored 2 tonight and seems to be coming on. Has anyone seen him play lately?

Old
02-21-2010, 11:03 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Sonne scored 2 tonight and seems to be coming on. Has anyone seen him play lately?
It essentially boils down to him being more up to the speed of the game in the AHL. He's moving his feet better and being more apart of the play versus being behind it like he was earlier this year.

Palushaj has been playing well since coming back from his injury. He is such a fun player to watch.

Old
02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
ChicagoBlues

Peoria sucks ass. Why?

From what I've seen the defense is pretty bad. Maybe not completely horrible, but way too much emphasis on puck-moving d-men that do more harm than good, namely Lampman and Richmond. Wagner was terrible and is finally gone. Team defense by the forwards has also been terrible with Reaves and Sonne sucking ass.

To me, the team MVP, so far, is Toivonen.

Closed Thread