HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

Old
01-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Kind of Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Is this thread for real?

Because we lost our old 4th line scrubs and brought in new 4th line scrubs is the reason why we stink?

Mr no personalty Betts?
Mr all speed no skill Sjo?
Mr fighter but couldn't skate who score a goal if his life depended on it.

Really?
Nowhere in this thread did it say that this is THE reason why we stink.

I think its A reason why we stink, one that is not obvious but still significant.

This team lost alot of its personality, character, effort, spirit and competitiveness, and alot of it left with those guys.

That's the point of the original post.

Its startling sometimes, the reading comprehension skills of some of the people in here.

Happy New Year.

EDIT: Btw, summing up Blair Betts as "no personality Betts" is really ridiculous.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 01-01-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:45 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
This team doesn't miss the 4th line at all. You can't sit here and tell me the 3 to 5 even strength minutes that 4th line would be getting a game would honestly make a difference at all.

If you break it down, the current 4th line individually is not all that different anyway.

IMO Boyle and Betts are a wash, where Betts may be a little more agile and harder on the forecheck, Boyle is a little more physical.

Brash/Voros Vs. Orr - I'll take Brash/Voros. I'd rather just have one, but Orr for 4 years is even more idiotic than Voros and Brashear's contracts. Even as washed up as Brash seems to be, he's still a better hockey player than Orr.

Lisin/Kotalik/Christensen/Anisimov Vs. Sjostrom - I like Sjostrom and think of the 3, he'd be making the biggest impact here. Torts liked him last year, he'd probably see a lot of minutes on select nights. He probably would've seen 1st line minutes at some point or another had he been kept. That being said, this is also a wash. Christensen arguably does everything he did minus penalty killing, and we've hardly missed Sjo or Bettsy's PKing skills. Good penalty killers are a dime a dozen. Everyone's willing to get out there and give up their body for a paycheck in today's NHL, and all you need to do is find one of those individuals that has decent hockey sense and decent athleticism and BAM you've got a pretty damn good penalty killer.

The problem with this team is the top 9, particularly the top 6. Our defense has also been exposed. The problem is hardly letting Sjostrom-Betts-Orr go, and at this point, we don't have a ton more money invested in the 4th line either, so I really don't even see the point in arguing it.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:58 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
In professional sports, you could debate the relative importance of character, effort and competitiveness as contributors to success, relative to pure talent, that is. I would argue those qualities are more important in hockey than any other major professional sport. And we lost a lot of that from last year. Some can argue against the significance of this; I think its too easy and flat out wrong to underestimate its significance.
I think your point is a great one but it's wasted on the 4th line.

I think Boyle, Voros, Brashear, Christensen, etc....pretty much everyone minus Kotalik that's been on the 4th line, has exactly what you're talking about. I think if you walked in to the Rangers lockerroom the guys on this years 4th line are probably among the most liked because of how they show up everyday.

Brash may look like he's playing lazy, but I just don't think that's the type fo player he is. He's battling some type of injury AND just looks aged, maybe because of it. You can't tell me Voros doesn't have heart, he may lack talent, but he's got plenty of heart. Christensen showed his character in not only his performance tonight but in his interviews. Lisin battled through a broken foot and Tortarella's doghouse to crack his way back in to the top 9, something I really don't think most forwards in his position would've done. Boyle leaves everything he's got on the ice, and if it doesn't look like it maybe you should put on 2 foot stilts and THEN ice skates and see how fast your stride looks.

There's that expression apples and oranges, well, we're comparing apples and apples here. Maybe last year's 4th line is granny smith's and this year's 4th line are Mcintosh's but at the end of the day both are apples.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:20 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think your point is a great one but it's wasted on the 4th line.

I think Boyle, Voros, Brashear, Christensen, etc....pretty much everyone minus Kotalik that's been on the 4th line, has exactly what you're talking about. I think if you walked in to the Rangers lockerroom the guys on this years 4th line are probably among the most liked because of how they show up everyday.

Brash may look like he's playing lazy, but I just don't think that's the type fo player he is. He's battling some type of injury AND just looks aged, maybe because of it. You can't tell me Voros doesn't have heart, he may lack talent, but he's got plenty of heart. Christensen showed his character in not only his performance tonight but in his interviews. Lisin battled through a broken foot and Tortarella's doghouse to crack his way back in to the top 9, something I really don't think most forwards in his position would've done. Boyle leaves everything he's got on the ice, and if it doesn't look like it maybe you should put on 2 foot stilts and THEN ice skates and see how fast your stride looks.

There's that expression apples and oranges, well, we're comparing apples and apples here. Maybe last year's 4th line is granny smith's and this year's 4th line are Mcintosh's but at the end of the day both are apples.
Totally agree with this... I've read multiple sources that say Voros and Lisin are amongst the more popular players on the team. Boyle seems pretty damn hilarious as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Kind of Blue

Maybe I'm not so crazy...

Me:

Quote:
In professional sports, you could debate the relative importance of character, effort and competitiveness as contributors to success, relative to pure talent, that is. I would argue those qualities are more important in hockey than any other major professional sport. And we lost a lot of that from last year.
Quote:
Lack of effort and commitment is the most disturbing problem with this team right now. Without that, all the talent in the world is useless.
Quote:
Effort and commitment are contagious in a team, and certain guys help spread that -- guys like Sjostrom, Betts, and Orr were a part of that.

Brooks:

Quote:
If it is unacceptable that the Rangers don't battle for the puck, it's intolerable that they won't battle for one another. The change in culture effected under Tom Renney following the lockout has dissipated.
Quote:
This is about the return of the disease that infected this franchise for seven straight seasons heading into the lockout, and the need to eradicate it immediately.
Quote:
This is about the horrendous example being set for young guys...

While Brooks is making a slightly different point, he's focusing on the intangibles I'm focusing on, he's talking about character, effort and commitment, how we had it and now we don't, and how that's a serious problem -- if not the most serious problem -- with this team right now. That's precisely what I was trying to get at. And all I was saying was that SBO were a part of that. Its bigger than just SBO, yes. But all I was saying was they were a part of that.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 01-01-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:39 AM
NY Ranger86

i agree with you. 100%

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:48 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I don't know about Sjo-Betts-Orr, but if we still had Ortmeyer and Dominic Moore, we'd be first in the Conference right now...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:49 AM
satrabyk

This is a great point, and something i made clear, primarily when we lost Betts. It is so true this was one part of out team, whether it Was Betts, Sjo, Korpi, Ortmeyer, Hollweg, they all carried similar qualities that was very effective at helping this team in the long run and is part of what we are missing. They were willint to commit themsleves to the system, play against the other team top line (which is extremely valuable) and most of all, create energy and momentum with some strong forecheck and good hits.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote