HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Happy New Year" - 12.31.09 - Nashville at Columbus 6:00 CST

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2010, 11:21 AM
  #26
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
woot!.. now that's the way to end 2009!

have to hand it to the guys, tonight you saw the old hitchcock system of playing hockey once they knocked in that first goal... you basically got the feeling they were playing to try to win 1-0 from the second that one went in the net.. from that point you simply had a tactical defensive game where there were always three men back for them, and you simply had to wonder if we would ever get enough real scoring chances to get that first goal.. a tremendous never quit effort from our guys, would have been so easy to make that mistake trying to push the action that would have given them that clinching 2 goal lead. but instead, we showed patience, played within ourselves and the system even when things were looking doubtful late. a few quick thoughts..

...of course the true star tonight was joel ward. three beautiful set ups, on thurresson's goal, on thurresson's post and then on the game winner. simply never quitting and winning that battle for the puck behind their net was the play.
...thurresson. before that tieing goal, was just beginning to think of all the people to get our best chances but the two rookies him and spalling. great stuff for him. (and us).
...ellis played a solid game. quite a few shots, quite a few scrambles. not a whole lot of true scoring chances against him, and he got caught too far out playing off to his right on their one, but still made all the stops you could expect. which is about all you can ask for out of your goalie.

a tactical, low scoring chance, well played type game. exactly the type of game you would have expected we have to play before we found all this magic scoring.. the type of game that could bode well for us going forward, because we played the type of game in our zone we haven't been playing for weeks. maybe klein needs to rest a few more games?

me, i'm still pumped. nothing like a come from behind late, dagger in the heart win against the hated jackets to get your blood pumping. nothing in sports anymore exciting than a close game late in hockey. nothing quite as suddenly exciting, jump off the couch fist pumping win in OT that comes so suddenly almost out of nowhere.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:41 AM
  #27
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
...of course the true star tonight was joel ward. three beautiful set ups, on thurresson's goal, on thurresson's post and then on the game winner. simply never quitting and winning that battle for the puck behind their net was the play.
Good post Pred303! I agree with all of it! Nice win!

On the Ward thing. I was listening with half an ear well after the game, when the radio guys said something "and of course Joel Ward is your number one star" and since I had missed hearing who got the stars I assumed he was first star. But just a bit ago I'm looking at the game recap on cbssports and it shows Ellis, Legwand, Garon. And I thought "no, that's not who it was!"

I wonder why Ward was dissed? He was the man! Nice game Joel!

All I can figure is they wanted to make sure Garon got a star, so they had to then also give Ellis one, which left room for one guy and they chose the game winning goal. If Ward wasn't first, he should have been second for sure, not Leggy. Although a nice dagger of a game winner by Leggy!

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:05 PM
  #28
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,726
vCash: 1453
I wasnt really sure that we were going to or deserved to win that game. BUt hey we got the points and it is time to move on!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:20 PM
  #29
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
woot!.. now that's the way to end 2009!

have to hand it to the guys, tonight you saw the old hitchcock system of playing hockey once they knocked in that first goal... you basically got the feeling they were playing to try to win 1-0 from the second that one went in the net.. from that point you simply had a tactical defensive game where there were always three men back for them, and you simply had to wonder if we would ever get enough real scoring chances to get that first goal.. a tremendous never quit effort from our guys, would have been so easy to make that mistake trying to push the action that would have given them that clinching 2 goal lead. but instead, we showed patience, played within ourselves and the system even when things were looking doubtful late. a few quick thoughts..

...of course the true star tonight was joel ward. three beautiful set ups, on thurresson's goal, on thurresson's post and then on the game winner. simply never quitting and winning that battle for the puck behind their net was the play.
...thurresson. before that tieing goal, was just beginning to think of all the people to get our best chances but the two rookies him and spalling. great stuff for him. (and us).
...ellis played a solid game. quite a few shots, quite a few scrambles. not a whole lot of true scoring chances against him, and he got caught too far out playing off to his right on their one, but still made all the stops you could expect. which is about all you can ask for out of your goalie.

a tactical, low scoring chance, well played type game. exactly the type of game you would have expected we have to play before we found all this magic scoring.. the type of game that could bode well for us going forward, because we played the type of game in our zone we haven't been playing for weeks. maybe klein needs to rest a few more games?

me, i'm still pumped. nothing like a come from behind late, dagger in the heart win against the hated jackets to get your blood pumping. nothing in sports anymore exciting than a close game late in hockey. nothing quite as suddenly exciting, jump off the couch fist pumping win in OT that comes so suddenly almost out of nowhere.
I agree about Ellis overplaying a bit early in the game. Their goal came off such a play(though it didn't help that Suter basically slid into the crease and took away any chance of getting back into the play), and there were a few other close opportunities that resulted from his coming too far out and getting caught out of position.

Despite the style the Jackets were playing, I think there was an ebb and flow to last night's game. We went through stretches of dominance, and it was starting to look like one of those nights where Garon was going to be more lucky than good. Hit posts, fanned tap-ins, dumb-luck saves through traffic...it was good to get that first one, because at that point I felt we would win.

Although, we sure looked like we were happy to play for one point and see what happened after scoring that tying goal. When Nash came out of the corner on their near-goal late, I said to my wife, "there's the game," but fortunately the luck came our way on that one.

Overall, good to win these two should-win games after the disappionting home and home with the Hawks. Another should-win on Saturday for what should be a sold out game, but I never consider Ducks games "gimmes" in anyway, especially given the firepower that still exists on their roster. Scoring first and early will be key in that one.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
  #30
Pattypred
Registered User
 
Pattypred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Just thought about the one play where Rick Nash was bringing the puck over the blue line and he was skating backwards.

Shouldn't that have been an off-side? He crossed the blue line prior to the puck.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
  #31
Jonesey
Moderator
Sons of Anarchy
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 7,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Just thought about the one play where Rick Nash was bringing the puck over the blue line and he was skating backwards.

Shouldn't that have been an off-side? He crossed the blue line prior to the puck.
it isn't offsides if he has possession of the puck.

Jonesey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
  #32
Pattypred
Registered User
 
Pattypred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
it isn't offsides if he has possession of the puck.
Thanks

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:37 PM
  #33
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,726
vCash: 1453
the one thing that stood out to me about this game was how the Jackets got great scoring chances every time our 4th line took to the ice. That was just not a good line combo there, of course it got better in the 3rd when Belak was benched.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
  #34
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
the one thing that stood out to me about this game was how the Jackets got great scoring chances every time our 4th line took to the ice. That was just not a good line combo there, of course it got better in the 3rd when Belak was benched.
yeah, but Belak contributes in his own way.

I mean, I think he really hurt McGrattan's hands with his face in those last two fights.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 09:57 PM
  #35
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,765
vCash: 500
QUOTEPred303]
Quote:
woot!.. now that's the way to end 2009!
yes

Quote:
maybe klein needs to rest a few more games?
Yes

Quote:
me, i'm still pumped. nothing like a come from behind late, dagger in the heart win against the hated jackets to get your blood pumping. nothing in sports anymore exciting than a close game late in hockey. nothing quite as suddenly exciting, jump off the couch fist pumping win in OT that comes so suddenly almost out of nowhere
AND YES.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:56 AM
  #36
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin




Garon was having one of those nights were it just seemed like nothing was going in no matter what. But the way we were playing it felt like if we could just get ONE in then we could plant that seed of doubt in their heads and get the win.


Ward was great on both goals, just fighting for and taking the puck away no matter what. And Legwand and Thuresson were both so wide open, I think maybe one guy was covering AT and Legwand was all alone, they just made great shots.


Congrats to Thuresson, what a night to get his first NHL Goal!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.