HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sathers fat cats are back

Old
01-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Tumsh

vCash: 500
Disclaimer: This is just a question, not a statement. I really don't know, but I would like to find out if someone knows, or has any ideas about it.

Could it be that the owners might be happy with Sather, despite the problems the team is facing? The team keeps making the playoffs (though are never really a threat to win it all) they have a bunch of big name(ish) players. It may be that this is enough to keep the not too hardcore fans, in particular those with plenty of money, interested and buying the merchandise. If the $$ keeps rolling in to the owners (of course, I have no idea if it does or not) could it be that they are happy with things as they are, and thus the fans will have to wait for Sather to retire or get a hearth attack or something.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:19 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Sather has only himself to blame.

You don't create a culture of commitment, dedication, respect and brotherhood (where players play for each other and fight for each other): when you screw three players out of their bonus money and force them to take you to court, to get it.

You do not create a culture of commitment, dedication, respect and brotherhood (where players play for each other and fight for each other): When you can't even muster up a simple phone call out of respect, for heart and soul players who put their body's on the line, every night. And leave them dangling in the wind, to the point they have to call Tom Renney to find out where they stand and if they're in the team's future plans, or not.

That kind of arrogant, disrespectful and ungrateful behavior only breeds contempt, distrust and apathy.

Sounds like our New York Rangers of 2009-10. Sounds like our Rangers of 2008-09, too.
All commitment, dedication, respect, and brotherhood went out the window when Sather traded Leetch on his birthday, and didn't even have the balls to tell him about it until after the deal was done.

This team is cast in Sather's mold... a bunch of individuals skating around, with only a handful of players who appreciate what it means to be a Ranger.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
HoosierDaddy

I remember how proud I was of this team post lock-out. They worked their butts off every night and everyone loved them because they weren't like those mercenary that are finding their way back on the team. Our zheit for brains GM thought he was smarter than everyone, instead of realizing he'd caught a break. One by one he got rid of the hard working plumbers and brought in "names."

Watching the Bruin-Flyer game today confirm to me how little testosterone is on this team. They were playing with snarl. Whenever I tried to imagine the Rangers in there against either team I just had to laugh. It would be men against boys.

We need a regime change, bad.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Clearly the only logical step at this point is to rid ourselves of bad contracts. Only then can Sather save us.. by buying more free agents?

Brilliant. I like it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

It is a problem.

It's one thing to lack skill (which we do), it's another to lack heart (which we definitely do).

A statement needs to be made to the team. Brooks makes a great point about Redden being re-inserted into the lineup after they didn't lose with him in the pressbox.

It could be/should be something big like waiving a veteran player and showing that the accountability is still there.

Or how about something minor like stripping the last names off the back of the jerseys for a game? I don't know if that's legal but it could help drive home that age old rule of the name on the front meaning so much more then the name on the back.

It is pretty pathetic the way these guys play some nights though.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Sather traded Leetch on his birthday, and didn't even have the balls to tell him about it until after the deal was done.
Wow. I hadn't heard that. Sather himself is just another "name" mercenary, while Brian Leetch was a true Ranger.

Sad.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
Disclaimer: This is just a question, not a statement. I really don't know, but I would like to find out if someone knows, or has any ideas about it.

Could it be that the owners might be happy with Sather, despite the problems the team is facing? The team keeps making the playoffs (though are never really a threat to win it all) they have a bunch of big name(ish) players. It may be that this is enough to keep the not too hardcore fans, in particular those with plenty of money, interested and buying the merchandise. If the $$ keeps rolling in to the owners (of course, I have no idea if it does or not) could it be that they are happy with things as they are, and thus the fans will have to wait for Sather to retire or get a hearth attack or something.
Yes.

Even when the Rangers weren't making the playoffs they were among the top 3 NHL teams in overall revenue.
The only scenario in which Sather would be fired is if people stopped buying tickets.
That's why I find it funny that the same people chanting "Fire Sather" will spend plenty of money on this team every season, regardless.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Clearly the only logical step at this point is to rid ourselves of bad contracts. Only then can Sather save us.. by buying more free agents?

Brilliant. I like it.

At this point, we should let them expire, grow some youth, and sign decent fitting FAs to decent contracts.

Not happening with Sather.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:59 PM
tdawg56

Where is Sather? This is NY and he is the only GM in history that doesnt have to speak to media or answer to anyone.

How is this possible? Thats why the fans need to keep calling for his head.

Its the only way to get out of this mediocre crap.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:59 PM
mucker*

Why is it Sather will not be fired?
Is Dolan just too stubborn?
He was the same way with Isiah Thomas, can somebody explain why incomptent management is allowed so much leeway with Cablevision?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Man Brooks is awful.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
tdawg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Man Brooks is awful.
Why cause he is telling it like it is? I think more people in the media should call for Sathers head its been 10 years of crap.

Old
01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
Why cause he is telling it like it is? I think more people in the media should call for Sathers head its been 10 years of crap.
The use of the term "fat cats" just disgusts me. Its an anti-capitalist term used to put down people who have worked to earn a higher paycheck, and have influence.

As far as Drury, Redden, and Rozsival go, they arent "fat cats". they used competition for their services to bolster their salary. Blame Slats is you want.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Nick00

Quote:
The use of the term "fat cats" just disgusts me. Its an anti-capitalist term used to put down people who have worked to earn a higher paycheck, and have influence.

As far as Drury, Redden, and Rozsival go, they arent "fat cats". they used competition for their services to bolster their salary. Blame Slats is you want.
The argument here isn't simply against the money they're making.
It's about the fact that the vets are taking advantage of incompetent management and a culture of unaccountability by mailing it in half of the time without fear of repercussions.
Self-interest and individualism may benefit capitalism but it doesn't benefit a team.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:02 PM
bubba5

During all those years the Rangers did not make the playoffs and Sather did not get fired then, there is no way he gets fired now after his team has been in the playoffs for 3 straight seasons (even if the salary cap is what has helped him) He is here until he wants to quit, and why would he.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the problem here is waiving Rozsival and Redden right now makes zero sense...unless youre comfortable tanking, because having 4 rookies on defense = instaloss.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:14 PM
NikC

I'm glad at least that Brooks is calling out Sather, but this is far cry from the
rosters of 98'-04. Sure we have some bad contracts, but it's not like we going after
the Tkachuks of the NHL. INstead we're going after younger players that have
lost it

At 65 you have to hope at least that Sather will pass the torch soon, but you he realizes that for this team to improve we have to drop as many of the 3 massive
contracts as possible. We can free up that money and go after some quality FA next year.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
tdawg56

We are a mediocre team for 10 straight years,that hasnt come close to sniffing a cup and that is a BIG problem IMO.

Sather needs to go and there is nothing good that he does except for throw money around that destroysour building of a great team. Mediocrity at its best.

Old
01-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Brilliant. I like it.
Yep, it's deja vu all over again. Brooks probably wrote a similar article back in 2004. Nothing will change as long as the Man Behind the Curtain is pulling the strings.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Man Brooks is awful.

He's just saying what majority of us is thinking.

When we do get rid of those horrible contracts, with Sather there, they will be replaced by more horrible contracts. It's a ****ing revolving door.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Chimp, outstanding post. I agree 100%.

Just to add to what you said, at what point do we look at Drury and place some blame for the fact that this team quit on Tom Renney last year and seem to be tuning out Torts this year? We turned over a good portion of the roster yet we seem to have the same results. We allow this team to hide behind the fact that they don't have very much talent. Which is true, but that doesn't excuse the lack of effort. Even talentless players can try hard.

Brooks brought up this teams unwillingness to stick up for each other and the example it sets for young players. This is something I mentioned earlier in the year after Drury got knocked out against Calgary. Drury, the Captain of the team, gets blindsided directly in front of Wade Redden. Redden does nothing. Here is our vet D-Man not sticking up for the Captain of the team! What type of example is that for the young D-Men we have on our roster?

You know things are bad when I miss Ryan Hollweg. He may have been clinically insane but the guy cared. He was one of the few guys who actually brought the fight to the other team (Usually in the form of a boarding penalty). As oppose to sitting back and waiting for something to happen and respond. This team doesn't even respond. Run our goalie, knock out our captain...don't worry, we won't do a thing.
Right On! The guy bleed blue.

We've had so much crap in terms of lazy, heartless players this past decade, I'd take a terrible team with all the passion in the world than this **** we've been wading through.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
DarthSather99

Funny, isn't it Brooks that is always clamoring for the free agents to be signed by the Rangers .... He does not want to write about a guy no one knows about.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
Where is Sather? This is NY and he is the only GM in history that doesnt have to speak to media or answer to anyone.

How is this possible? Thats why the fans need to keep calling for his head.

Its the only way to get out of this mediocre crap.
I wonder about this a lot. How does the new york media not want to hear what Slats has to say about this mess he has made?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:16 AM
benneyb

Chimp - wow man, what can I say? Best two back-to-back posts I've ever read here.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:28 AM
mess11mess

Sather's signing of Brashear tells you all you need to know about the disconnect Sather has not only with the NYR fanbase but the NYR sweater in general. I don't know one Ranger fan that liked the Brashear signing or thought it made sense for this team - he's a clown.

He rewards a guy like Brashear with a handcuff contract and lets Betts go without even a thought. Not saying Betts is a great player to make the difference with this team, but he is a grit guy who cared while wearing the NYR crest and left everything he had on the ice.

What? It wasn't enough for Sather that Brashear turned the series around with the cheapshot on Betts, ending the NYR playoff run last season, that he figured he'd sign him to a contract that would hamper the team for the next couple years? Brooks hit it right on the head with this guy, he is a mercenary who could care less about the history and tradition of the Rangers. He's paid to do one thing and he apparently no longer feels the need to do that. Even Voros knows his role when he's in there, even if it is as the human punching bag (a la Nick Kypreos) - admittedly he did land a nice right the other night against Carolina's Kostopoulos.

mess11mess is offline   Reply With Quote