HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller, Junland to take part in AHL All-Star Game

Old
12-31-2009, 02:16 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Eller, Junland to take part in AHL All-Star Game

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=511664

This is great news. I think calling Eller up after the AHL All-Star game would be a huge boost for the team.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM
trublu16

vCash: 500
Hmmmmm....

If I was a Swedish player that came over to play in the AHL. So i can get accustomed to the smaller size rinks and North America style of hockey. And have these stats:

104 gp 21 g 35a 56 pts and 2 time All-Star in the AHL in my 1st 2 seasons.

What does that get you in this organization?

A whopping whole 2 games in the NHL. How pathetic is that of an organization that is re-building? Horrible ....just simple horrible.

JJ should be up here in St. Louis and the like of Sydor,Brewer, and Weaver should not be in St. Louis.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 01:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
At this point I think I'd rather have Junland than Sydor, but he can't provide the things Weaver provides. We have to have someone to put on the PK, and Weaver has done a great job in that role.

The Blues are too young on the Blue line. Next year won't simplify things any, either, with Pietro, Cole and Junland all strong possibilities. That probably spells AHL for Cole.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 03:45 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
At this point I think I'd rather have Junland than Sydor, but he can't provide the things Weaver provides. We have to have someone to put on the PK, and Weaver has done a great job in that role.

The Blues are too young on the Blue line. Next year won't simplify things any, either, with Pietro, Cole and Junland all strong possibilities. That probably spells AHL for Cole.
How do you know? Have you seen Junland play in more than 1 NHL in a season? I haven't. If given the time in St. Louis(10-15 games), I would put money on JJ is a lot better than that journeyman defenseman, Weaver. Weaver has been nice, but nothing that cannot be replaced.

We have to start trying to find out if he is worth another contract. His ELC is up after this season. But I doubt we see JJ until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs

Old
12-31-2009, 04:01 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
How do you know? Have you seen Junland play in more than 1 NHL in a season? I haven't. If given the time in St. Louis(10-15 games), I would put money on JJ is a lot better than that journeyman defenseman, Weaver. Weaver has been nice, but nothing that cannot be replaced.

We have to start trying to find out if he is worth another contract. His ELC is up after this season. But I doubt we see JJ until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs
I've caught at least 40 streams of rivermen games over the past calender year. While Junland's offensive stats are nice at times he has been attrocious defensively. If you think Pietrangelo looks shakey at the NHL level Junland has worse moments in the AHL. Now with that said his defense has improved in his time in the AHL.

Weaver has little to no impact on a roster spot for Junland. They play different sides and different roles on the team. Weaver would probably be the ideal guy to pair up with Junland to be honest.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 07:07 PM
SteenMachine

If nothing else Weaver brings experience, we need his defensive game in the sense that we need someone who knows when to make smart plays, more than just be in position or avoid making mistakes that cost goals.

Junland just hasn't convinced anyone that moving someone older for him would improve our team in our own end, and with anemic forwards it's not like his contribution to our offense will be game changing enough to give up an extra goal every few games while he gains that experience.

You also have to consider they get guys like Sydor and Armstrong because they want mentors and role models for someone like Junland to get the most experience out of each game. We still have a few too many guys learning the NHL game the "hard way".

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:31 PM
trublu16

If we are going to stink up the Scottrade all year. Why not play the players that make this team better. And there is nothing about Sydor or Brewer (and to some extent Weaver) that makes me think that they are the future or the immediate future. You can say that Junland is stinking it up at the AHL level. But there is a reason, that he is a 2 time All-Star. Oh, and his points are not all that great either (solid numbers for a point man on the 2nd PP unit). But they do tell me that he knows how to lite the lamp and move that puck. But if you are still hung up on the mistakes that he could make.....hate to break it to you but the so-called veteran mentors, are really screwing the pooch!! So if veteran and rookie are making the same mistake, much rather see rookie. If Pietro can play in St. Louis for 17 games over the past 2 years, we should be able to get JJ in the game for 4 or 5 games in a row to see if this guy is any good. Would be nice to see what we got before we decide on a contract or not for this guy.

Old
01-01-2010, 12:00 AM
St.Louis sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
If nothing else Weaver brings experience, we need his defensive game in the sense that we need someone who knows when to make smart plays, more than just be in position or avoid making mistakes that cost goals.

Junland just hasn't convinced anyone that moving someone older for him would improve our team in our own end, and with anemic forwards it's not like his contribution to our offense will be game changing enough to give up an extra goal every few games while he gains that experience.

You also have to consider they get guys like Sydor and Armstrong because they want mentors and role models for someone like Junland to get the most experience out of each game. We still have a few too many guys learning the NHL game the "hard way".
Just where exactly have guys like Weaver gotten us so far? This whole mentality of playing not to lose a game rather than to win a win is the reason why this team is so bad..Weaver has by far outperformed anyone's expectations for him, but he brings a too similar game to the table as the other defenseman we already have here (Jackman, Polak, Brewer, Sydor). This team needs impact players plain and simple. Honestly i would take Weaver over Jackman and Brewer for the role he performs.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:10 AM
SteenMachine

If we end up icing a team with a bunch of 20 year olds on the roster it's going to look like that: undersized, sloppy, slow, and out of place hockey.

Instead of just bad strategy and half-assing the 3rd period at home every game; there's an intangible issue that skill has nothing to do with. This team needs to play to win for 60 minutes and for whatever reason only a few guys are pushing hard enough on any given night.

For once it'd be nice if it was someone besides our goalies, but Junland didn't light the world on fire, he looked overwhelmed, just like Pietro last year. Potential doesn't mean anything in the NHL unless you can maintain it at every level.

The behind the scenes disagreement here is that some fans want to watch a team that can win every night if they played like it, and everyone else would rather just say screw it lets give any kid a chance to break out until one finally does and then ride him into the playoffs or at least come back next year more confident and experienced. I don't think anyone's set in stone on either side of that, but we all want a silver lining to a poor 1st half. When we have such an incredible farm system right now it's hard to be patient.

Old
01-01-2010, 12:22 PM
trublu16

Hey Boyes, I am not asking for an entire team of 20-something kids. But I am asking that since the current players at the NHL level can not get it done for a full 60 minute game. We, or better yet the Coach, need to make a change to bring in new blood. In hopes that the new blood will kick start this whole thing and get the team back on track to our goal this season. Which would be the playoffs, and not another #1 overall draft pick.

But if you only get 1 NHL game a season, you are going to be so nervous and you will be making stupid mistakes. Junland needs a chance to settle down and play his game at the NHL level. All I would ask is to have a 5-10 game experience. And if that goes well, play him as long as he continues to play well. It is not like we haven't allowed young players to learn how to play at the NHL level before. The likes of Perron, Oshie, Berglund,and Backes comes to mind. Yeah yeah yeah....Junland has options......BLah Blah Blah, that is horse crap. It a freaking excuse for Murray to continue to run the has beens out on the ice.

Give this kid a chance in St. Louis, he has earned more than some who are in St. Louis.

Old
01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
SteenMachine

I think management is just stuck in a hard place either way, they can't make a meaningful trade when everyone expendable is looking like a has been.

They can't afford to keep making this team younger, if they don't win they have people being paid millions to sit out for a rookie that didn't fill someone's shoes or walk into the role required of them this far into the season.

Had there been "the right deal" I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like Junland, Petro, etc. fight their way into the league and hold a spot into the playoffs. There would be room for them on the roster and decent ice time to keep them effective and motivated.

Right now there isn't a way to move veterans for our prospects to graduate or I think we'd have seen it even a month ago.

They also have to fill the Peoria roster which I believe had quite a few injuries, and at this point just have to make a lesser-of-two-evils decision to stay the course rather than keep trying to make shake up moves or a desperate trade.

I think if it was as simple as injecting a guy like Junland into the team there would have been a lot of discussion about waiver options, but that's never come up from the management or even most journalists; they all seem to agree that we have enough assets to make a trade for the best deal possible. In the meantime they let people compete where they'll have the most opportunity instead of the highest rewards.