HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Sports Media Watch's 5 biggest moves that did not happen

Old
12-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Sports Media Watch's 5 biggest moves that did not happen

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com...oves-that.html

Not all items listed in the story pertain to the NHL, but the top three do.
  • #3: NHL remains with ESPN (2005)
  • #2: Versus gets the NFL and/or Major League Baseball (2005, 2006)
  • #1: NBA re-signs with NBC (2002)

No. 3 is the subject of much debate on these forums. Search the entire message board for ESPN on here and you'll stumble onto a few of those Versus/ESPN discussions.

No. 2 would have legitimized Versus that much more, gotten the channel more exposure, and with the NHL deal already in place prior to the attempts at other sports, who knows what might have happened there? Maybe Versus wouldn't be an obscure network.

No. 1 could have also altered what ESPN did. They had the NBA so giving up the NHL wasn't a big deal. But had NBC held onto the NBA, then ESPN may have held onto the NHL so that it had a major winter sport, thus Versus would never have entered the picture -- or at least not in the fashion it did.

All of this is definitely something to chew on and think about, though as I noted for No. 3, it probably has already been discussed in-depth on here before, and in that sense, this article isn't "new news/speculation" for any of us.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Jimbo7200

these are depressing
i miss nhl tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:32 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post

No. 1 could have also altered what ESPN did. They had the NBA so giving up the NHL wasn't a big deal. But had NBC held onto the NBA, then ESPN may have held onto the NHL so that it had a major winter sport, thus Versus would never have entered the picture -- or at least not in the fashion it did.
The NBA being on NBC would not effect it being on ESPN. ABC only has weekend games and playoffs, like how the NHL on NBC is, expect they pay the NBA a large fee, where the NHL and NBC share revenue.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
fizban

I don't understand how Versus is seen as such an obscure network. ESPN reaches something like just 25% more viewers. The way people talk about it, you'd think that Versus was in all of 4 households nationwide.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
I don't understand how Versus is seen as such an obscure network.
Really? You have to search it out. On TW cable, VS is not even in the same general numbers as ESPN and FSN (430s, VS is 469)

When you travel, have you ever seen VS in a hotel room tv? or hotel bar? I haven't. ESPN is on every tv in every hotel room in the USA (many hotels have several ESPN channels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
ESPN reaches something like just 25% more viewers.
ESPN = sports. Even non-sports fans know this.

VS = well, most non-hockey fans have still never heard of it. Or they think it's hunting and bull riding.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:51 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Vs is basically getting the NFL and the Olympics now that Comcast is buying NBC, they're going to be huge. The NHL is going to be a big part of their programming until MLB and NFL contracts come up again in 2013.

NBC, Vs, Golf Channel, and the 11 regional Comcast Sports Net channels will all be under the same roof.

Last edited by dafoomie: 12-30-2009 at 12:00 AM.
dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:27 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
these are depressing
i miss nhl tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Even if ESPN kept the NHL, you would likely still be missing it.

ESPN had already announced the cancellation of NHL Tonite at the end of the '03-'04 season. Even if ESPN had picked up their option post-lockout, all games would have been on ESPN2 and there would have been no NHL Tonite.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote