HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sathers fat cats are back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2010, 02:33 AM
  #76
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I don't get this. I really don't. We're talking about reforming the team to become a real team, yet so many of you defend Chris Drury. WHY? He cares. He skates hard. So frigging what? So did Freddy Sjöström, but that didn't help him get a re-sign @700k. So did Betts, but that didn't get him re-signed. You don't get paid for effort, you get paid for performance. At least on most teams who aren't dumb. We have three players paid close to $7m a year on this team. We have Marian Gaborik. We have Henrik Lundqvist. We have Chris Drury. Find one fault.

We are paying a slightly upgraded Chris Higgins, $7m a year to hopefully be 50/50 at faceoffs, play some PK, hog up PP time which he does absolutely nothing with, "care and skate hard" and score a goal once every 12th game or so (if we're lucky). Forget about any sort playmaking, ok? Forget about any sort of line threat on the line he's playing on. Here it's "dump, turn the puck over and chase." Any 4th liner can do that.

We could've had a Heatley-esque kind of player for the money we have thrown at Drury, a glorified 3rd liner at this point in his career. So why the heck do you constantly try to leave Chris Drury out of the "this team needs to be reformed" equation? You don't think Chris Drury is a big reason why this team is terrible offensively and has been so since he arrived? Think again. He's the 2nd threat this team should've had to relieve Gaborik. That's the money we that jackass with the cigar threw at him. I don't care that he's Captain America and is a poster hanging on many bedroom doors (which I have no clue of why really). Because if he's Captain America, you need to raise your standards.

"But Chimp, he has a NTC! He's the Captain!" So? Yashin was bought out, on a team known for collective failure for a long time now. And he was their best scorer! Nylander was forced into AHL, despite having exactly the same clause as Drury.

"But Chimp, the franchise will look like a ********* if they force their NTC captain off the team!" Say what? Let me get this straight... you're afraid of our franchise reputation, because we might chase a player (in a world of cap floors), who is a big part of dragging the team down - despite a heavy loaded contract - into AHL. We are afraid we might lose franchise reputation, because we're actually trying to hold a huge underachiever accountable? If we scare any other mercenaries away, who had plans to come to New York to cash in for a piss poor performance, I'm not exactly sad. I'm not sad either if the message to the other players is: "If you come to New York, we have some sort of expectations that you can man up to the suitcase of dollars we hand you."

But you're apparently not afraid NYR looks like a ******* retirement home, were you have no accountability whatsoever for your salary, expectations or your level of responsiblity. As long as you fool $ather to pay you the dough, you're set for life. Like some kind of top level politician or corporate executive. Hey, if $ather and Drury can't go golfing together after $ather brings out the axe, it's not exactly like I care. $ather was the one who took a huge dump in his own bed, now he can lay in it. If $ather can't do his ****ing job and sort this mess out, because he thinks it feels awkward that Drury might delete him on facebook, he can go to AHL with him.

"Get set for life in the franchise of no accountability! Get your overpayment here!" How the **** are you going to get any attractive players to a team that is set on autopilot for failure anyway? You tell me that.

Why do you think Zherdev was going for top dollar when playing for NYR? You think he would've pulled that stunt if he was playing for Detroit? He sees all those overpaid bums, performing worse than him and he thinks: "Hey! Why should I receive scrums when I'm one of the top players on this team, when they get paid loads of cash for underperforming?" Zherdev wasn't thinking like a Russian, he was thinking and acting like a true New York Ranger. Minimum performance, maximum pay. I can understand his astonishment when $ather wasn't opening the safe. Instead he chose to throw a boatload of cash at Kotalik for sucking. The overpayment dice didn't land on Zherdev this time.

You think the players on all the other teams describe the word "successful" when they get to name the NYR? I think not. They see "$$$! Yeah baby! Because they're rich AND have a clown of a GM there, who pays out contracts like the money isn't his! At random, unfortunately, but hey, take a chance!"

Before we have the word accountability as an integral part of this franchise, from the top (especially the top) to the bottom, we're done for. We can just as well donate the season ticket money to some other retirement home, I'm sure they need it better than the millionares on skates.

Or what? You leave Captain America out, because his feelings might be hurt? "He tries so hard, yet he fails. We can't blame him for that..." What is this, a hockey forum for New York Rangers (who have a reputation for being hard nosed for some reason) or a forum for kindergarden teachers? You need to throw your money on puppies, not hockey tickets. If Lundqvist would start posting a career .89 save percentage and a 3.30 GAA, or Gaborik scoring 25 goals a year (like a dream coming true for Drury, 25 goals, omg!), it's not exactly like I would defend him with some "but he's trying so hard, give him a break!" Jesus Christ what a bad argument.
this is just...the most epic post....ever.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:03 AM
  #77
AllNYteams
 
AllNYteams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Forgot about the over 35 rules. But either way out of principle they should send his ass to Hartford.
Couldn't agree more w this post, the Brooks article, and the other comments on this board. Brashear is nothing but a cancer on this team. He is well known by friends of mine in Philly and in Washington to have been a party guy w the young players. A commenter on the Brooks article said that he saw him pounding back red wine the night before the Philly game. Bad example for the young players to follow.
Brashear is only here to collect a fat paycheck and live the party N.Y. lifestyle before he retires. He could care less about the Rangers and it shows. Sather needs to eat the contract and his pride. Send him down permanently. If he shows any signs of life it is just an act to get back to the bright lights and the partying.
Bring someone up who cares and will put in the effort and energy for less pay. There are plenty of players hungry for a shot at the big club. It is an embarrassment and a slap in the face to have Donald Brashear in a Rangers jersey.
This would change a lot of the chemistry of the team. Vets would be warned and the young players wouldn't have his crummy influence. There is obviously something wrong in that locker room. And I think he is a big part of it. Brashear goes and we won't miss him. We won't miss him one bit.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:06 AM
  #78
AllNYteams
 
AllNYteams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
The argument here isn't simply against the money they're making.
It's about the fact that the vets are taking advantage of incompetent management and a culture of unaccountability by mailing it in half of the time without fear of repercussions.
Self-interest and individualism may benefit capitalism but it doesn't benefit a team.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:14 AM
  #79
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,765
vCash: 500
come on guys...don't you know Brashear had a tough home life.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:02 AM
  #80
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Clearly the only logical step at this point is to rid ourselves of bad contracts. Only then can Sather save us.. by buying more free agents?

Brilliant. I like it.
First, you remove the hornets so you can at least live in your house. Then, you obviously go for the hornet nest that is causing so much annoyance, to say the least. Or the other way around, the hornet nest first, the hornets later. You think any other GM who is brought in fresh would let the team continue to be constructed as it is? Even a blind man can see what's wrong.

I don't think the plan could be anything else. Enough with the "it's impossible!" talks. It's not impossible. If the Knicks fans could, we can.

You don't like us plummeting through the stands after we sack a fourth of the team? Fine, wait until after we've missed the playoffs, then let the slaughtering start. I just think we will lose Torts because of it, because the King on a chessboard will never sacrifice himself, just the other pawns, or the queen if he has to. Again.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:19 AM
  #81
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
The only scenario in which Sather would be fired is if people stopped buying tickets.
Forget tickets. There will always be 18000 people in the NY metro area who will buy a ticket. If you want to boycott, cut off merchandising.

No more jerseys (or jersey threads here that promote the merchandising).
No more hats.
No more mugs.
No more cute Ranger bibs for the infants.
No more window decals.
No more flags or banners.
No more t-shirts or hoodies.
No more anything.

Live with the merchandise you already have and put no more money in their purses.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
  #82
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Great article by Brooks... great post by chimp.

Nothing more needs to be said... it's time for some REAL action.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:10 AM
  #83
AllNYteams
 
AllNYteams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
First, you remove the hornets so you can at least live in your house. Then, you obviously go for the hornet nest that is causing so much annoyance, to say the least. Or the other way around, the hornet nest first, the hornets later. You think any other GM who is brought in fresh would let the team continue to be constructed as it is? Even a blind man can see what's wrong.

I don't think the plan could be anything else. Enough with the "it's impossible!" talks. It's not impossible. If the Knicks fans could, we can.

You don't like us plummeting through the stands after we sack a fourth of the team? Fine, wait until after we've missed the playoffs, then let the slaughtering start. I just think we will lose Torts because of it, because the King on a chessboard will never sacrifice himself, just the other pawns, or the queen if he has to. Again.
Great post . That is the only way to go about it.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
  #84
AllNYteams
 
AllNYteams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Great article by Brooks... great post by chimp.

Nothing more needs to be said... it's time for some REAL action.
Couldn't agree more.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:23 PM
  #85
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
First, you remove the hornets so you can at least live in your house. Then, you obviously go for the hornet nest that is causing so much annoyance, to say the least. Or the other way around, the hornet nest first, the hornets later. You think any other GM who is brought in fresh would let the team continue to be constructed as it is? Even a blind man can see what's wrong.
And that's where your argument is flawed. Until we have a GM that is capable of managing the cap properly, there's no point in ridding ourselves of anyone with the sole purpose of gaining cap space.

Quote:
I don't think the plan could be anything else. Enough with the "it's impossible!" talks. It's not impossible. If the Knicks fans could, we can.
Where did I say it's impossible?

Quote:
You don't like us plummeting through the stands after we sack a fourth of the team? Fine, wait until after we've missed the playoffs, then let the slaughtering start. I just think we will lose Torts because of it, because the King on a chessboard will never sacrifice himself, just the other pawns, or the queen if he has to. Again.
Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I'm not sure why you're lecturing me when I've been one of the more vocal supporters of a rebuild.

I couldn't care less if we lost Tortorella.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
  #86
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the problem here is waiving Rozsival and Redden right now makes zero sense...unless youre comfortable tanking, because having 4 rookies on defense = instaloss.

...but NOT waiving them and finishing around 20th in the league does make sense? At least we could tank while watching young guys that have something to prove work their tails off and play entertaining hockey. Instead we should just watch old bums play without a hint of intensity and settle for a pick in the 8-15 range? We're clearly not going anywhere this season so why not waive them?

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
  #87
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
...but NOT waiving them and finishing around 20th in the league does make sense? At least we could tank while watching young guys that have something to prove work their tails off and play entertaining hockey. Instead we should just watch old bums play without a hint of intensity and settle for a pick in the 8-15 range? We're clearly not going anywhere this season so why not waive them?
im not convinced that we arent going anywhere... lets see how we are in a month or 2.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
  #88
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im not convinced that we arent going anywhere... lets see how we are in a month or 2.
There's a big difference between going somewhere and squeaking into the playoffs. If you think this team is even a wild card contender I think you're just holding out hope because it hurts too much to accept how bad we've become. Which is understandable, but I just don't think that there's a snowballs chance in hell that this team can make ANY noise in the post-season, even if we do sneak in... which brings me back to the original point of, if we're going to slip in as the 7th or 8th seed only to inevitably be ousted by a real contender, why not just waive them and end up with a top-5 pick and some young guys with experience under their belts? Maybe some fresh blood in the locker room combined with the statement that waiving $5M players makes could help the young guys all grow together and get some chemistry and fire back on this roster.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
  #89
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
And that's where your argument is flawed. Until we have a GM that is capable of managing the cap properly, there's no point in ridding ourselves of anyone with the sole purpose of gaining cap space.



Where did I say it's impossible?



Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I'm not sure why you're lecturing me when I've been one of the more vocal supporters of a rebuild.

I couldn't care less if we lost Tortorella.
Yeah, it was not that much an argument with you per se, perhaps it was wrong to quote you. It was more like that you started the subject "the bums are gone, then what?". Sorry for that misunderstanding.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.