HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Markov's next contract?

Old
01-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Give him whatever he asks for + 20 factory boxes of vodka, a fruit basket, official keys of the city and two virgins.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:00 PM
MTL-rules

I'm afraid Detroit will be looking to get him when Lidstrom retires...

The habs GM sure better sign him to a contract extention this summer. Give him a 8 years contract, cap friendly...

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
That may be pushing it While he is indeed Andrei ****ing Markov, 41-46 is kind of old. An 8-10 year would last him until he's 38-40.
That's the point though, you load it past the time the guy's gonna most likely be playing, that's tacking on years to bring down the average cap hit.

Gainey says, look Andrei, you say you want to play until age 40,we want to pay you 55 million to play for us until then (9 years). Markov thinks thats OK. Cap hit = $6.11m.

Now to to lower the cap hit, you agree to make to add 5 million more, and tack on 5 years. Markov gets 5 million more $ coming into his bank account while he's sitting in his caspian sea beach house sipping stoli, the average cap hit comes down to $4.3m, helping the team while he's still there, even ownership (who's paying him this) wins, one would assume it pays for itself with more playoff games played over his career.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:29 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
That's the point though, you load it past the time the guy's gonna most likely be playing, that's tacking on years to bring down the average cap hit.

Gainey says, look Andrei, you say you want to play until age 40,we want to pay you 55 million to play for us until then (9 years). Markov thinks thats OK. Cap hit = $6.11m.

Now to to lower the cap hit, you agree to make to add 5 million more, and tack on 5 years. Markov gets 5 million more $ coming into his bank account while he's sitting in his caspian sea beach house sipping stoli, the average cap hit comes down to $4.3m, helping the team while he's still there, even ownership (who's paying him this) wins, one would assume it pays for itself with more playoff games played over his career.
But is it legal to plan it this way? How far are you allowed to go? Why not sign him for 25 years then?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
But is it legal to plan it this way? How far are you allowed to go? Why not sign him for 25 years then?
Well let's see...
-The NHL allowed Vancouver to sign Luongo to age 43
-Hossa to 41
-Zetterberg & Franzen to 39

Supposedly all these contracts are "under investigation" by the league, but I'd like to see them reverse it at this point, most likely they'll wait it out and put in some contract length rules in the new CBA when the current expires in Sept 2011. I'm sure the Habs could get Markov to 43 no probs, maybe 44, but 45 might be pushing it.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:05 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Hamrlik and the 5.5 million are also coming off the books next year.

After next season,Laraque,Gill,Markov and Hamrlik are UFA.Pretty safe to say both Laraque and Gill aren't coming back,that would be almost 4 millions of savings.

Money will be there for Markov to stay,that's if he wants to anyways.
I feel like I'm looking at a Walmart ad lol

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:58 AM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

vCash: 351
So kinda OT but what would Markov need to do in order to have his number retired. I was kinda surprised to see people already accept that its a given. I love markov, but he needs a Norris and a cup at least, with consistent offensive and defensive production. thoughts?

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
So kinda OT but what would Markov need to do in order to have his number retired. I was kinda surprised to see people already accept that its a given. I love markov, but he needs a Norris and a cup at least, with consistent offensive and defensive production. thoughts?
I doubt anybody would be dumb enough to wear #79 for the Canadiens after Markov retires, just like #11 or #19 before it got retired.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:59 AM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I doubt anybody would be dumb enough to wear #79 for the Canadiens after Markov retires, just like #11 or #19 before it got retired.
good point.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:15 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post

agreed

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:08 AM
PunkinDrublic*

8 years 50 million.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:46 AM
spoofpig

what if he dosent want to sign .Whould you think he would let gainey know so we could maximise the return in a trade or is he such a stellar player we could get a good return anyway at the deadline just a thought but hopefully he signs a long term contract with us

spoofpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
Why cant we cheat the CBA too?

I say an 10 year deal

7 *6
3.5*2
1.75*1
0.875*1

Average cap hit of..... 5.1625
Honestly I think the new CBA will be agreed upon very soon (maybe next year or even before), so we need to strike while the iron is still hot. Plekanec and Markov need to be re-signed to cap friendly contracts. As in, rather then 5-5.5M for Plek, you get him down to a cap hit of 3.9-4.5, and for Markov, rather then 6-7M, you get it down to 5-6M.

Carey Price gets the usual RFA deal of 3 years at 3M. I don't think it brings him to his UFA years.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofpig View Post
what if he dosent want to sign .Whould you think he would let gainey know so we could maximise the return in a trade or is he such a stellar player we could get a good return anyway at the deadline just a thought but hopefully he signs a long term contract with us
Honestly, he's the one player I truly believe that likes to play in Montreal and that means a lot knowing that many players have publicly admitted that playing in Montreal can be tremendous pressure at times. Him and Plekanec seem able to take the heat and not crumble. I wouldn't be surprised if Plekanec vouches for the Habs long term. The only problem is the man has already a 69 points season and this year might eclipse 80-90. It is in his rights to demand a fat contract, heck that's what I would do, knowing it might be his last contract coming into his prime.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:22 AM
mvp76

I would love Markov to be a lifetime hab!
Sign him up until the end of his career, wonder if it's Bob's style..
Whatever we have to do he has to stay

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul21Seeker View Post
I would love Markov to be a lifetime hab!
Sign him up until the end of his career, wonder if it's Bob's style..
Whatever we have to do he has to stay
Markov will be around longer than Bob, so Gainey's take on this is not very relevant.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:39 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Markov will be around longer than Bob, so Gainey's take on this is not very relevant.
LOL where do you get this info from ? School has been out a while and you still have contacts. Gainey is not going anywhere, so get used to it. He is doing as good a job that can be done in this hot bed of a hockey world. Would you prefer i guy like Burke maybe ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:15 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
LOL where do you get this info from ? School has been out a while and you still have contacts. Gainey is not going anywhere, so get used to it. He is doing as good a job that can be done in this hot bed of a hockey world. Would you prefer i guy like Burke maybe ?
And where did you get yours?

Teaching someone about making bold claims then doing the exact same thing... just brilliant.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote