HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The goaltending situation

Old
01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
L-train*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to L-train*
The goaltending situation

So I'm assuming Emery will be back soon-ish. You can only send him on a conditioning stint for so long.

Who do you keep as your goalies? Leighton and Boosh, Emery and Boosh, Leighton and Emery? What do you do with the other guy?

I think we end up rolling Emery and Boosh, and as for Leighton? I dunno.

Last edited by L-train*: 01-02-2010 at 11:12 AM.
L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
trees17

I say, Thanks for the memories, Mike.... He had a nice win streak. but the guy is a cone! he cant move, and gives up terrible rebounds.

With that being said. i think a healthy Emery still is not the answer for the Flyers goaltending situation.

trees17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:05 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

When all is healthy, our goalies will be the guys who give us the best chance to win; Emery and Boosh

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:37 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees17 View Post
I say, Thanks for the memories, Mike.... He had a nice win streak. but the guy is a cone! he cant move, and gives up terrible rebounds.

With that being said. i think a healthy Emery still is not the answer for the Flyers goaltending situation.
Pretty much this. Leighton has been solid, but he hasn't been outstanding by any means and gives up huge rebounds and is pretty slow to react. Bouch and Emery are both much better, so goodbye Leighton.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:39 AM
DrHamburg

Well it depends, do we get the old flyers defense with emery and boosh? Leighton gives up terrrible rebounds but how much better has the flyers defense been since he has been in net?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Leighton could continue on this pace and still be the odd man out. He's still Leighton.
I image that he'll get waived and picked up by someone. He'd be like a $125,000 cap hit.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:46 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:

What goaltending situation are you referring to? I am not sure if you're saying it is the problem with the Flyers right now, but if you are, I'm shocked. They can't finish, plain and simple. If there is any move to be made or any player to be brought in, make it a certified finisher. I think I could've put some of those golden chances in the net yesterday.

01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
ArmchairGM

The bigger question is who do you play the next game? Do you say thanks for the memories Leighton and play Boucher, knowing that Emery will be back in a few weeks? What if Leighton keeps up this torrid pace?

I personally like him and think he's a good goalie, but he's not better then Emery or Boucher. This is just like what happened to him in '07, he played pretty well and then got waived.

I wouldn't mind keeping him as a third goalie (if the cap permits), hope maybe he gains some trade value like Tellqvist did going to Buffalo last year.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:51 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
The bigger question is who do you play the next game? Do you say thanks for the memories Leighton and play Boucher, knowing that Emery will be back in a few weeks? What if Leighton keeps up this torrid pace?

I personally like him and think he's a good goalie, but he's not better then Emery or Boucher. This is just like what happened to him in '07, he played pretty well and then got waived.

I wouldn't mind keeping him as a third goalie (if the cap permits), hope maybe he gains some trade value like Tellqvist did going to Buffalo last year.
I think keeping him could be a good plan, cap permitting of course like you said. You never know with Emery, sometimes abdominal injuries tend to aggravate themselves after they are "healed." Who knows, maybe Ray will try to keep it a secret again.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Now just photoshop some goalie pads on.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
What goaltending situation are you referring to? I am not sure if you're saying it is the problem with the Flyers right now, but if you are, I'm shocked. They can't finish, plain and simple. If there is any move to be made or any player to be brought in, make it a certified finisher. I think I could've put some of those golden chances in the net yesterday.
Don't bother. I swear to God, the Flyers could've gotten Marty Brodeur over the summer and everybody'd still be talking about the Flyers "goaltending situation".

Emery's fine. In fact he's been more than fine before he got injured.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:21 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post

Epic win.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:33 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If Emery plays like he did the 1st couple weeks of the season, then i am completely comfortable with him being the bonafide starter. No questions asked. If he comes back unready to compete, with no motivation or focus like he has been acredited with doing. Then it's the bench for him and THEN we look elsewhere at the deadline for a goaltender.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I agree with this. Emery is not the long-term solution.

This year? He's more than adequate and the best we've got. That said, I still think he is overrated and would not mind if the Flyers some how acquired a top-flight prospect or bonafide goaltender. Note that I say some how, because I fully understand that this is not NHL 10 and one cannot just go trade Emery + Coburn for Cam Ward and a pick. Not saying they should or even could, just saying I sure wouldn't mind.

But I think Mike has earned the right to stick around. Hopefully they hang onto him in case of injury, throw him some games in the AHL or just start him up here once in a while. But make no question, Emery and Bouch are better. Leights is just a very good insurance policy.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
mm6492

Make sure Emery si completely healthy before bringing him back, then once you are sure, waive Mike IMO.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
So I'm assuming Emery will be back soon-ish. You can only send him on a conditioning stint for so long.

Who do you keep as your goalies? Leighton and Boosh
you are not serious, are you ?

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
DickTony

Over the past few games, Leighton has proven to be perhaps the luckiest goaltender in NHL history. This, combined with good to very good defensive performance, has made him seem much better than he is. That being said, are you comfortable with Leighton in a playoff game if Emery goes down? I'm not overflowing with confidence towards Boucher, but it's not even close. Leighton will be gone.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
JCameron418

emery stops mad pucks yo

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Terence Peterman

There isn't one.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post

POTY.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:12 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Is the Flyers defence playing better because Leighton scares them, or are they playing better because they've learned the system

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Is the Flyers defence playing better because Leighton scares them, or are they playing better because they've learned the system
It's not uncommon for teams to play better in front of a backup or 3rd string goalie. Everyone is more cognizant of the fact that mistakes on their part have a really high chance of becoming a goal for the other team.

Though, I am sure they are more comfortable playing in the system as well.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:42 PM
featherhawk

so whom plays against ottawa?

boosh or leighton?

featherhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
There is no goaltending situation. Even during the losing streaks goalies weren't the problem. When Emery comes back they should obviously put him back in the starting role and send down either Boosh or Leighton. IMO I say keep whoever is hot. It is unlikely that either of the two will be claimed on waivers and if they are it's not the end of the world. Leighton and Boucher are about on the same level this season so waiving one and having to recall one or even losing one to waivers is not a terrible thing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 07:32 AM
captainpaxil

i would let emery take his time coming back and probably send him down for a conditioning stint and be sure hes ready to go before i start giving him starts. abdominal surgery is tough particularly on a goaltender and i would like to have him firing on all cylinders for the playoffs. if it looks liek he may not be ready id be making calls but we have time yet.

leighton is insurance against that right now. with backlund aparrently still adjusting to the north american game(does anyone else think thats just code for not as good as we thought?) i dont think you waive him until your sure emery is 100%. i wouldnt want to get stuck being forced to overpay not having a backup goalie.perhaps even carrying 3 for a bit .

boosh is my backup. and if emery isnt healthy and a suitable replacement isnt available im comfortable riding him into the playoffs. im not real excited about the possibilty but im not going to lose any less sleep than i did with marty. you hope he gets hot and scream at the tv if he doesnt. though i will find no small irony if he miraculously turns into tim thomas and becomes the goalie of the future.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote