HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts says Ranger players are treated too good by organization

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
  #26
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well the players have already said the Rangers treat their players the best. "They have the nicest plane, and the nicest food on the plane."
Exac. You want it to be an attractive place to play, both bcause of a competitive team and high quality of life.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:39 AM
  #27
kennglin13
Registered User
 
kennglin13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
this i like, the fact that he got rid of player introductions on opening night i did not

that was for the fans and he took it away from us.. which led to extra time that was used by the blue man group. hockey > blue man group

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:41 AM
  #28
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Or 4 in 4, depending on how you want to mold the statistics to your argument.

Last two seasons before Tortorella:

NYR in New Jersey: 4 wins, 2 losses
NYR on Long Island: 4 wins, 2 losses

Torts, find another excuse.
You're a devil fan aren't you? come'on you can tell us...

You've got that brodeur jersey hangin' in your room don't you?

It's ok, you can admit it.

Cause I can't think of anyone else who would want to encourage this kind of crap.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
  #29
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
For you old timers out there... who was it that had the club stay at the Penn Hotel on game days?... ....team had a pre game meal together. Was it Francis or Shero?......Herb Brooks?

Good move by Torts. I didnt know they didnt take a team bus to games in Jersey and Wrong Island.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
  #30
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.
 
OrbitalDynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stalag Luft LGA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Don't bother trying to get around the fact that its always been done like this before Tortorella and it wasn't a problem.
So because "We've always done it that way" it should stay that way?

You can say with definitive certainty it wasn't a problem?

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
  #31
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Why should it be kept in house? Why protect the players who don't seem to want to work out there?
Because Tortorella's philosphy of challenging players through the media is not only classless, but more of a distraction than anything. Why bring it up to reporters? What purpose does it serve other than deflecting criticism away from the coach and towards the players???

I realize a lot of fans like Tortorella for the entertainment factor and how he "tells it like it is" but the fact remains that this is a .500 team for a .500 coach.

If this diarrhea of the mouth is all he has in his arsenal, his shelf life in New York will be very short.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
  #32
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Or 4 in 4, depending on how you want to mold the statistics to your argument.

Last two seasons before Tortorella:

NYR in New Jersey: 4 wins, 2 losses
NYR on Long Island: 4 wins, 2 losses

Torts, find another excuse.
And how many Cups did Renney & Co. win again? How are the Oilers doing?

Torts has won one. And a Calder Cup.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
  #33
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
So because "We've always done it that way" it should stay that way?

You can say with definitive certainty it wasn't a problem?
Uh, if we were constantly losing in New Jersey and at the Coliseum, maybe it would be a problem. Have we been? No.

The funny thing is, the last game on the Island was two weeks ago now, and we don't have any games coming up in New Jersey or on Long Island... why is he even talking about this now?

As I said in my original post, this guy has no answers that have anything to do with hockey, and he resorts to ******** ways to shift blame to his players in any way possible.

EDIT: And again, someone try to give me a justification for talking about this publicly, I would love that. If Tortorella genuinely wanted to make this change, nothing was stopping him from doing it, just do it, you don't have to tell the media.


Last edited by Kind of Blue: 01-02-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
  #34
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
And how many Cups did Renney & Co. win again? How are the Oilers doing?

Torts has won one. And a Calder Cup.
I dont give a **** what Tortorella did in the pre-lockout days.

Just like I dont give a **** what the players do before they step on the ice as long as they're ready to play, which they havent been most nights under Tortorella.

This "entitlement" thing is just Tortorella searching for another solution for a team that doesnt show up night after night. Maybe one of these days, he'll find something that actually works.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:51 AM
  #35
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Just like I dont give a **** what the players do before they step on the ice as long as they're ready to play, which they havent been most nights under Tortorella.
After 40 games, they're 19-17-4. WTF did you really expect out of this bunch that Sather has assembled? Seriously. You're all up Torts' a$$ and he's pretty much where everyone thought this team would be starting the season. Matter of fact, most picked the Rangers to finish well below the 8th slot that they're sitting in now.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:54 AM
  #36
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
And how many Cups did Renney & Co. win again? How are the Oilers doing?

Torts has won one. And a Calder Cup.
1. Do yourself a favor, don't compare what basically these same players did under Renney and what they're doing under Tortorella, its not going to work out well for you.

2. Renney is not the head coach of the Oilers.

3. So this is a Stanley Cup issue? I mean an issue on that level. Ok. Attention all NHL GMs, I have in my possession the blueprint to going all the way: If you have any teams within 30 miles of your home arena, for those couple of away games per year, take a bus. Done! Enjoy!

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:56 AM
  #37
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
I like this .... Torts perhaps getting to the root of it all....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
  #38
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
1. Do yourself a favor, don't compare what basically these same players did under Renney and what they're doing under Tortorella, its not going to work out well for you.
Really? I thought 12 players were different than last year's team. Are you not paying attention? This isn't the same team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
2. Renney is not the head coach of the Oilers.
He's an assistant. And his team has everyone in Edmonton wanting to blow up that franchise just like people wanted to blow up this one after the entire team gave up on him in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
3. So this is a Stanley Cup issue? Attention all NHL GMs, I have in my possession the blue print to winning the Cup. If you have any teams within 30 miles of your home arena, take a bus. Done.
Oh, good, so let's take your blueprint for success and NOT hire a coach that has previously won a Cup because wins on the road vs. the Islanders and Devils before Torts got here is MUCH more important. Gotchya. Thanks.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
  #39
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Really? I thought 12 players were different than last year's team. Are you not paying attention? This isn't the same team.
The core is the same. And we added Gaborik. Poor Torts. Aw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Oh, good, so let's take your blueprint for success and NOT hire a coach that has previously won a Cup because wins on the road vs. the Islanders and Devils before Torts got here is MUCH more important. Gotchya. Thanks.
Way to miss the main point of the original issue.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
  #40
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
Keep putting the blame elsewhere Torts.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
  #41
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This "entitlement" thing is just Tortorella searching for another solution for a team that doesnt show up night after night. Maybe one of these days, he'll find something that actually works.
Well he should be searching for a solution. And this is far from the first time we've heard that the Rangers are more akin to a country club than a hockey franchise.

When Sean Avery is the voice of reason on a team, at least as far as having pride for your jersey, we should be listening.


There are teams out there with less talent that play with more unity night after night.


Question: I always goofed on Rennys TEAM BUILDING retreats in the pre season. Am I wrong or did they skip this year under Torts.

Maybe with all the turnover they should have kept the retreat going.

I think a week at Westpoint would do this bunch some good

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  #42
DoTheBlue
No chokemon allowed
 
DoTheBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 6,073
vCash: 500
Some of these players should be driving the limos. In fact .. here's an idea. Torts picks out the worst 10 players of each home game and MSG randomly selects 10 deserving season ticket holders. Then at the next home game those ten players have to drive those limos to pick up those ten fans and drive them to MSG. Then at least some fans might get their moneys worth.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  #43
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
After 40 games, they're 19-17-4. WTF did you really expect out of this bunch that Sather has assembled? Seriously. You're all up Torts' a$$ and he's pretty much where everyone thought this team would be starting the season. Matter of fact, most picked the Rangers to finish well below the 8th slot that they're sitting in now.
Well, in reading posts from last season, I was repeatedly told that Tortorella was capable of moving mountains and unlocking all of this hidden offensive talent (and this was with a less talented squad last season).

Now, the general consensus on this board is that the players suck, which has been the problem for quite some time now. If only the previous coach was given the benefit of common sense from the fanbase....

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  #44
Elvis Presley
Aka #30
 
Elvis Presley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,219
vCash: 500
from what it seems, you guys are taking his action in a literal sense. i dont know how many of you live in the heart of manhattan or spend your days there, but being young and attractive or just a NYR in this city can ruin you if you arent used to it. i think torts is referring to off ice antics and the organization supporting them in their lifestyles which may be causing negative effects on the ice...

tl;dr manhattan night life can wreck someone who isnt used to it. i know from experience and seeing it happen to countless people

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  #45
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Keep putting the blame elsewhere Torts.
As usual, cuts to the heart of the issue, in as few words as necessary. Others take note.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  #46
Reader
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Don't bother trying to get around the fact that its always been done like this before Tortorella and it wasn't a problem.
Has not been a problem? - HELLO! The sense of entitlement and utter primadonnaism (not trying to be mascho but you know the line has been crossed) by people with limited talent has been a problem ever since Gretzky´s final years, it carried through the Jagr era even when the team reached the playoffs.

Only then Jagr was able to restrain it with his enormous charisma and respect that he made everyone else have for the team effort and also for Henrik L.

This team has no respect for its main goaltender, I remember Richter facing the same problem in his last seasons but it was not that serious because Leetch was present - I think the Big L will want to be traded sooner than later if he has serious hockey related ambitions because the Rangers are spitting in his face every other game in uniquelly evil and cruelly innovative ways.

Tortorella sees the lack of respect for the game, for the future, for the goaltender, for the aspiration to achieve something like the Stanley Cup and he has to shoot basically blindly within a limited range, knowing that if he is too soft - the players will flip the bird to him and if too hard then Sather will punish him severly with messing with his love children.

Maybe this is an additonal option that will help this team move forward. Just have to keep pushing, never know what will get the wagon moving, out of the quicksand.

Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #47
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
The core is the same. And we added Gaborik. Poor Torts. Aw.
Oh, yeah, that Gomez guy, Antropov, Morris, Betts, Orr, Korpikoski, Dawes, Prucha, Zherdev, Mara, etc... weren't "core"

Half of our top forwards change and half of our top defense and the "core" is the same? Who's the core? Drury? Redden? Roszival? The only "core" around here form then is Lundqvist.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #48
Lex444
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
everything in the organization reeks of class. too much of it kills the hunger of the player.

Lex444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #49
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
When times get tough, you can always count on John Tortorella to come up with an answer that has nothing to do with hockey and points the finger at his players.

I'm pretty sure the Rangers travel arrangements were the same while we were making the playoffs four years in a row before he showed up.

This is the kind of petty b.s. that players hate and makes them not want to play for a coach like this.
Doesn't matter to me, then they played much more like a team. You start playing like this, especially when you're simply not playing like a team, I'm absolutely on board with going back to the basics, not just on the ice, but off the ice. What are the basics? Traveling as a team would be one thing.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:05 PM
  #50
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
He's an assistant. And his team has everyone in Edmonton wanting to blow up that franchise just like people wanted to blow up this one after the entire team gave up on him in Dallas.
That has little to do with him. That was bound to happen with that club, who in some ways, resemble last year's Rangers quite a bit. They have no true "great" forwards (and their best one, Hemsky, is out for the year). They're a poorly put together roster with a number of underachieving young players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.