HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts says Ranger players are treated too good by organization

Old
01-02-2010, 12:06 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If only the previous coach was given the benefit of common sense from the fanbase....
He had how many years here before his gum chewing ice cold demeanor got stale?

Tortarella has been here less than a year and it's already time to double tap him in the head and roll him up in a carpet.

Who's the coach who is going to come in and wring the most out of these players?

Where is he? Why didn't we get him last year?

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:07 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

vCash: 500
10 freakin’ limos ? Should have bin 23

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
As usual, cuts to the heart of the issue, in as few words as necessary. Others take note.
I find his one line comments, almost all of them, always arrogant, frequently of the mark and constantly lightly bullying others who disagree. He is not the grand-daddy of this board yet he plays and pretends the big patron. It is extremely bad taste for somebody of medicore means to pretend to be intelligent and definitive - poisons the atmosphere.

Personally, I have read this board before he was around and I canīt wait to move on without him. Perhaps I am not the only one.

Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Oh, yeah, that Gomez guy, Antropov, Morris, Betts, Orr, Korpikoski, Dawes, Prucha, Zherdev, Mara, etc... weren't "core"
This is a hilarious post.

Antropov and Morris were part of the core. They both played less than 20 games as a Ranger.

And I thought Gomez not being here was a good thing, but I guess I may have to rethink that.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Well he should be searching for a solution.
And like I said, maybe one of these days he'll actually find one. Although hes not the kind of person that'll look in the mirror.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:11 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

driving 30 miles the night before a game, to sleep at an expensive hotel in jersey or the island. talk about economic smartness. i dont see the problem, it has worked like this for a long time i presume, even before torts's era. and now staying 20 miles from your house in a hotel. just bs if you ask me

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
I find his one line comments, almost all of them, always arrogant, frequently of the mark and constantly lightly bullying others who disagree. He is not the grand-daddy of this board yet he plays and pretends the big patron. It is extremely bad taste for somebody of medicore means to pretend to be intelligent and definitive - poisons the atmosphere.

Personally, I have read this board before he was around and I canīt wait to move on without him. Perhaps I am not the only one.
I have no comment on his style. My point was, that one sentence cut to the heart of the issue.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
driving 30 miles the night before a game, to sleep at an expensive hotel in jersey or the island. talk about economic smartness. i dont see the problem, it has worked like this for a long time i presume, even before torts's era. and now staying 20 miles from your house in a hotel. just bs if you ask me
I would think it's an advantage to stay in your own home and sleep in your own bed before a game, as opposed to some hotel.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:15 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
I would think it's an advantage to stay in your own home and sleep in your own bed before a game, as opposed to some hotel.
yeah that too

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

Antropov and Morris were part of the core. They both played less than 20 games as a Ranger.

And I thought Gomez not being here was a good thing, but I guess I may have to rethink that.
Even if you subtract Antropov and Morris, the core of the team still changed significantly this off-season, and if you don't believe that I'm not sure what team you've been watching.

Regardless of Gomez being gone or not, he was still a major part of the core.

So was Zherdev, who was not mentioned in the original poster's post.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:21 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
because riding around in seperate limos like moviestars is an economic friendly way to get to the games, lol

Old
01-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Even if you subtract Antropov and Morris, the core of the team still changed significantly this off-season, and if you don't believe that I'm not sure what team you've been watching.

I dont even know what this "core" argument has morphed into, but I've been watching the Rangers for 20+ years and the opening night roster that took the ice to begin the 2008-2009 season was the worst from a talent standpoint that I've seen. There was not one player on that team that was even close to a first line talent.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:

Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery, Staal, Girardi, Roszival, Hank. Enough of the core is intact to make a comparison between what Renney had to work with and what Tortorella has to work with. That was the only reason the discussion turned this way. Its especially appropriate since most of those players I just mentioned were better under our former coach and are worse under our current coach.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:32 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:

Antropov was top 3 or top 6 forward. Morris was a top 4 "D". They were here last year and aren't here this year.

Doesn't change the fact that this roster is COMPLETELY different than the one Renney was working with. You seriously going to argue that point?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery, Staal, Girardi, Roszival, Hank. Enough of the core is intact to make a comparison between what Renney had to work with and what Tortorella has to work with. That was the only reason the discussion turned this way. Its especially appropriate since most of those players I just mentioned were better under our former coach and are worse under our current coach.
LOL. So, you've got 3 out of 6 defensemen as the same and named 4 out of 12 forwards as the same. So, 7 out of 18 players and "the core is the same"? And one or two out of those guys are in our top six? You've just made my argument for me. Thanks.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
LOL. So, you've got 3 out of 6 defensemen as the same and named 4 out of 12 forwards as the same. So, 7 out of 18 players and "the core is the same"? And one or two out of those guys are in our top six? You've just made my argument for me. Thanks.
1. You're continuing to argue that Antropov and Morris were part of our core. So, you need to go find out what "core" means, specifically in a sports context. Wow.

2. I clarified my point, saying "Enough of the core is intact to make a comparison between what Renney had to work with and what Tortorella has to work with." That's why we're talking about this -- I want to compare Renney and Tortorella. I think there are enough of the same players here to do so. But look, if I were you, I wouldn't want to compare Renney and Tortorella either.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I dont even know what this "core" argument has morphed into, but I've been watching the Rangers for 20+ years and the opening night roster that took the ice to begin the 2008-2009 season was the worst from a talent standpoint that I've seen. There was not one player on that team that was even close to a first line talent.
and this year's roster was much better? Now you just have one player on the team that resembles first line talent. And less players that resemble second line talent/top 6 talent. Basically a tradeoff from last year, so instead of 6 players that maybe actually belong in the top 6 (even if its not on the first line) you have one guy that belongs on the first line, and MAYBE one player who belongs in the top 6 with him in Dubinsky.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
1. You're continuing to argue that Antropov and Morris were part of the core. So, you need to go find out what "core" means, specifically in a sports context. Wow.
Morris plays 20+ minutes a night for the Bruins and specializes on the PK. For the Rangers, he was one of our top 3 defensemen. That's not "core"? Are we talking about length of service or how valuable they are/were to the team? Morris was one of the Rangers top "D" guys last year for whatever amount of games + playoffs.

Quote:
2. I said "Enough of the core is intact to make a comparison between what Renney had to work with and what Tortorella has to work with." That's why we're talking about this. I want to compare Renney and Tortorella. I think there are enough of the same players here to do so. But look, if I were you, I wouldn't want to compare Renney and Tortorella either.
Why? Renney didn't accomplish much here other than making the playoffs (which we clearly wouldn't have last year if he wasn't replaced). Is that our criteria for "good" now? Making it? Sorry, Renney brought us back into the playoff picture, but he wasn't a great coach IMHO.

Our definitions of "core" are clearly different - to me, it's our most important players and that's essentially different from last year in many, many repects - Gomez alone being gone completely changes the team.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
and this year's roster was much better? Now you just have one player on the team that resembles first line talent. And less players that resemble second line talent/top 6 talent. Basically a tradeoff from last year, so instead of 6 players that maybe actually belong in the top 6 (even if its not on the first line) you have one guy that belongs on the first line, and MAYBE one player who belongs in the top 6 with him in Dubinsky.
Answer this honestly....if you gave Renney a dynamic talent like Gaborik, do you think he'd have this team going better than Tortorella currently does?

I think the answer is a no-brainer yes.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Morris plays 20+ minutes a night for the Bruins and specializes on the PK. For the Rangers, he was one of our top 3 defensemen. That's not "core"? Are we talking about length of service or how valuable they are/were to the team? Morris was one of the Rangers top "D" guys last year for whatever amount of games + playoffs..
Now thats just simply not true.

I think you better go check the ice-time that the Mara-Morris pairing got at the end of last season and into the playoffs.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Answer this honestly....if you gave Renney a dynamic talent like Gaborik, do you think he'd have this team going better than Tortorella currently does?

I think the answer is a no-brainer yes.
Yes, of course. (That's really why this sub-discussion of the core came up)

Old
01-02-2010, 12:51 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Now thats just simply not true.

I think you better go check the ice-time that the Mara-Morris pairing got at the end of last season and into the playoffs.
His ATOI for the Rangers for 2008-9 was 19+ minutes. Check it.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Yes, of course.
Yeah, a talent like Jagr that he worked with had a whole 71 points his last year here.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Yeah, a talent like Jagr that he worked with had a whole 71 points his last year here.
Oh you mean the Jagr guy who was 36 years old in his last year here, but still had 15 points in the playoffs and helped us eliminate the Devils in the playoffs. If you don't think Renney maximized what he had in Jagr and that team, then there's nothing to talk about. We were eliminated by the Pens, they were simply better than us, no shame in that.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
..and set the Rangers single-season scoring record the first year he was here.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote