HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts says Ranger players are treated too good by organization

Old
01-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
after reading thru this thread a few times I've come to the conclusion that as Rangers fans we are getting exactly what we deserve.

oooh! maybe chris drury will let us squeegy the windshield on his limo for an autograph!!

Hey, let's give out some more silver sticks to mercenaries who played 98% of their games in another city/state!

It's ok if we're the laughing-stock of the tri-state area, we treat our players well damn it!

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:58 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
..and set the Rangers single-season scoring record the first year he was here.
Yeah, but that wasn't the argument. I love Jagr - he's one of my favorite Rangers ever and was completely underrated by the fans and carried the team on his back during the playoffs. That doesn't change the fact that in his last year here, Renney couldn't figure out anyone to play with him and the PP was completely awful. Remember that?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Yeah, but that wasn't the argument. I love Jagr - he's one of my favorite Rangers ever and was completely underrated by the fans and carried the team on his back during the playoffs. That doesn't change the fact that in his last year here, Renney couldn't figure out anyone to play with him and the PP was completely awful. Remember that?
I remember 15 points in 10 playoffs games that year you're talking about. Funny.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 01-02-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Oh you mean the Jagr guy who was 36 years old in his last year here, but still had 15 points in the playoffs and helped us eliminate the Devils in the playoffs. If you don't think Renney maximized what he had in Jagr and that team, then there's nothing to talk about. We were eliminated by the Pens, they were simply better than us, no shame in that.
I'm not dissing Jagr, but I think Gaborik wouldn't be doing any better under Renney - how much better could he possibly be than leading the NHL in goals and having 51 points in thirty-something games?

Old
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well the players have already said the Rangers treat their players the best. "They have the nicest plane, and the nicest food on the plane."
But do they have candies on the plane???? Seriously, though, I don't like Tortorella but he's right. How many times do you see this team come out flat footed at home? Why are they seemingly better on the road? If you all assemble as a team prior to coming to the rink, you're in the mindset that it's time to work that much sooner. Maybe this would help us from sleeping through the first period at home every night.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
I'm not dissing Jagr, but I think Gaborik wouldn't be doing any better under Renney - how much better could he possibly be than leading the NHL in goals and having 51 points in thirty-something games?
Ok, you missed the whole point again. I think that's the end of my broadcast.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
I remember 15 points in 10 playoffs games that year you're talking about. Funny.
And you're giving Renney the credit for that? THAT'S what's really funny.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
And you're giving Renney the credit for that? THAT'S what's really funny.
Oh my god. No, why don't you read the posts. The other poster and myself said that Renney proved he could maximize (get the best results) from the team he was given. And then you went and said, well "Renney couldn't figure out anyone to play with Jagr," which was clearly wrong.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:06 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Ok, you missed the whole point again. I think that's the end of my broadcast.
Right, Renney would have the team going better with Gaborik but Marian would be scoring less yet our record would be better.

Renney got us to the 2nd round of the playoffs. That's it. It's not impressive. You can hate Torts all you want, but it's too early to judge his resume vs. Renney's. He hasn't even had a full year yet.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I think Renney's main strength was making the bottom 6 players feel like they were important components of the team.

He kind of just let the stars do their thing, but he really got the most out of role players. I think this team could certainly use a little bit of that.

Torts just seems to think the answer is running his better players into the ground with absurd amounts of ice time. Is anybody really surprised that Prospal wound up on an operating table?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:07 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Oh my god. No, why don't you read the posts. The other poster and myself said that Renney proved he could maximize (get the best results) from the team he was given. And then you went and said, well he couldn't figure out how to use Jagr...
I did. I don't agree with you. Jagr was Jagr - no matter who was coaching him and Renney didn't get out of the 2nd round with one of the greatest wings to ever play the sport. I get it. I don't agree with you.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
The main reason that Renney is so revered around here is because he actually did something with this team. He wasn't a great coach, merely a good coach.

But he's now brought up to almost legend status by a few just because we made it past the first round once in his tenure.

I like Renney. He's one of the best player development minds in the league and is very well suited to an upstairs role. But a great coach he is not.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Kind of Blue

Just for kicks I'll bring this back on topic...

Renney would never publicly call out his players and use something as ridiculous as local travel arrangements as an excuse for poor results.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Just for kicks I'll bring this back on topic...

Renney would never publicly call out his players and use something as ridiculous as local travel arrangements as an excuse for poor results.
Renney actually spoke about hockey when he was interviewed.

In fact, I cant remember one time where he publically intruded into the personal lives of his players.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
In fact, I cant remember one time where he publically intruded into the personal lives of his players.
I can't remember one time he had an elevated heart rate after a loss. Don't miss it.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:37 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
..and set the Rangers single-season scoring record the first year he was here.
Had less to do with Renney and more with Jagr trying to prove himself after the Washington "debacle", the short time he was here when traded he put up near a ppg also... lets not pretend Renney was some great motivator and coach.... he also had his hand picked buddies to play with, Nylander and Straka

The coach has very little to do with the players on the ice, sure he might use a system, but ultimately it comes down to those players playing for each other and for a purpose... these players don't seem to have a purpose or even a desire to win for each other...

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
So he gets no credit when a player succeeds, but the blame when a player falters. Got it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Had less to do with Renney and more with Jagr trying to prove himself after the Washington "debacle", the short time he was here when traded he put up near a ppg also... lets not pretend Renney was some great motivator and coach.... he also had his hand picked buddies to play with, Nylander and Straka

The coach has very little to do with the players on the ice, sure he might use a system, but ultimately it comes down to those players playing for each other and for a purpose... these players don't seem to have a purpose or even a desire to win for each other...
Then why was Renney continually blamed for the players on-ice deficiencies? You can't have it both ways.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:56 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
So he gets no credit when a player succeeds, but the blame when a player falters. Got it.
I'm not that the one making statements that Renney would've done better with this team than Torts is because Gaborik is on it. Renney had Jagr and Jagr had a great season, a decent season, and a bad season and was good in the playoffs. He wasn't some guru coaxing more out of his team (and Jagr) than they were capable of. Jagr was/is a world class player. Period.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:59 PM
OverTheCap

The players are spoiled and have been for years, no surprises here. "If I had the Rangers payroll, I'd never lose a game." Yes, great strategy, we'll get free agents to sign here not because of the Rangers' winning culture, but because we treat them like royalty.

This has been a long-time coming... time to sift out the players who are here because of the perks from the ones who are actually proud to wear the Rangers' logo.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Then why was Renney continually blamed for the players on-ice deficiencies? You can't have it both ways.
I didn't blame Renney for anything. I don't know what you are getting at. I'm not going to sit here and blame Torts or Renney for the teams in front of them. The way some of you suck up to Reney is nauseating.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Answer this honestly....if you gave Renney a dynamic talent like Gaborik, do you think he'd have this team going better than Tortorella currently does?

I think the answer is a no-brainer yes.
Who cares? Anyone who thinks it wasn't time for a change at the head coach when Renney was fired needs a reality check, the rest is history.

Sure, we may have a ton of shootout wins with this team and be a little less bi-polar under Renny. I don't think the success at the end of the day, whether it's where we would finish with Renney vs. where we do finish with Torts, or how far we get in the playoffs, would be all that different at all.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
kennglin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The main reason that Renney is so revered around here is because he actually did something with this team. He wasn't a great coach, merely a good coach.

But he's now brought up to almost legend status by a few just because we made it past the first round once in his tenure.

I like Renney. He's one of the best player development minds in the league and is very well suited to an upstairs role. But a great coach he is not.
we made it past the first round twice... and shouldve been to the conference finals... either way... Sather has created a garbage product. In two years when he can't afford Duby and Cally, and this season when he will not be able to afford Marky Mark, this team will get worse

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I didn't blame Renney for anything. I don't know what you are getting at. I'm not going to sit here and blame Torts or Renney for the teams in front of them. The way some of you suck up to Reney is nauseating.
Simply asking why Tortorella is given a long leash on the same aspects that Renney was crucified for.

Old
01-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I'm not that the one making statements that Renney would've done better with this team than Torts is because Gaborik is on it. Renney had Jagr and Jagr had a great season, a decent season, and a bad season and was good in the playoffs. He wasn't some guru coaxing more out of his team (and Jagr) than they were capable of. Jagr was/is a world class player. Period.
I don't see how you can argue against the fact that the majority of the players that have been around for both tenures were better, or significantly better under Renney than they have been with Tortorella.

For me, as much as people continue to think otherwise, it's not a matter of me 'sucking up' to Renney. It's the fact that the guy got a raw deal and was canned because of Sather's inability to put together a competitive team. I don't like Tortorella's coaching style, but I don't blame him for having an equally poor roster at his disposal.