HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New skates, help!!

Old
01-01-2010, 08:58 PM
lundy

vCash: 500
New skates, help!!

Hey guys, just starting to get into skating. It's funny, after being a die-hard fan for all these years I still can't ice skate at all. I play roller hockey, but can't ice skate...go figure.

Anyways, I am looking to buy some solid skates, preferably under 200 bucks.

Any suggestions for solid skates that will hold up for me for a few years? Thanks so much.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 09:14 PM
thedoc1019

this has nothing to do with the topic but it surprises me that you can't ice skate AT ALL even though you play roller.You can't even skate forward on ice or do you mean that you can't do all the stuff like forward to backward pivots and crap

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:02 PM
lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc1019 View Post
this has nothing to do with the topic but it surprises me that you can't ice skate AT ALL even though you play roller.You can't even skate forward on ice or do you mean that you can't do all the stuff like forward to backward pivots and crap
Well, it's more like I haven't ice skated in like 8 years (since I was 14). I'm just not very good on the ice since I haven't done it in so long. Even going forward is piss poor.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:50 PM
DevsFan84

You really need to go to a local hockey shop to try on a pair of skates. If they fit properly, I personally would go for a pair of x30's which is around that price range, +/- a few bucks. I think that skate is the best mix of value and quality for around 200 bucks.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:12 PM
DJnet65

take a lesson from this guy.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=717471

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:19 AM
thedoc1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Well, it's more like I haven't ice skated in like 8 years (since I was 14). I'm just not very good on the ice since I haven't done it in so long. Even going forward is piss poor.
ohhh ok I got cha

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:54 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Better skates or more expensive skates might not be the best skate for you. Gotta hit up your LHS and let the guy know your weight, skating ability and price range (and you got to be honest on all three points). Lot of people end up with a skate that may fit great but hurts their skating ie too stiff etc etc

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
You're coming up on a pretty good time to get new skates on clearance. Usually the new stuff comes out in early April, so around late Feb - mid March the current stock will start to go on sale.

Check out some online stores to see what's available in your price range, then head to a local store and see what the guys there can get you into. You'll want a stiff skate with good-quality steel that can be replaced if need be.

Stiffness is subjective, but usually you'll want the stiffest skate you're able to flex forward when you bend your knees. Some guys like wet noodle ankles and some guys like skating in ankle casts, but for the most part if the skate starts out stiff, it will last a lot longer before the ankle area starts to break down.

Fit is absolutely the most important thing EVER. If you buy a $600 pair of skates on sale for $200 and they don't fit or they hurt your feet, they're worthless. Talk with the guys in your area's shop and let them know what kind of cash you're working with and try on everything they have.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote