HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#40: Flyers @ Bruins - January 1, 2010 - 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-02-2010, 09:07 AM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Great pics JLHockeyKnight!

I'm hoping everyone posts the pictures they took, when they get back.

I don't like how the game ended, but that was absolute proof that a 1-0 game is exciting. It was a great game, it's just unfortunate it ended the way it did.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
And Homer. He put them in that cap situation, after all.
And Mr. Snider, who totally refuses to fire Holmer.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Great pics JLHockeyKnight!

I'm hoping everyone posts the pictures they took, when they get back.

I don't like how the game ended, but that was absolute proof that a 1-0 game is exciting. It was a great game, it's just unfortunate it ended the way it did.
I got more if others want to see.

I borrowed my girlfriend's camera (which I actually bought her) and it has a 10x zoom optical, 32X digital. I can't tell you how much those zooms come in handy when you're at sporting events.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Don't forget the coach!
If you're referring to Stevens, then Stevens deserved blame. He also deserved to be fired sooner. If you're talking about Lavi, well, I haven't seen anyone complain about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
First off, I thought the refs were good. I don't agree with the two calls, but I thought there was a LOT the refs let them get away with. A lot of hitting in the first and second, often times before someone reached the puck, and they really did let them play. Sucks they lost, but you can't let Recchi keep his stick down in front, and Coburn was letting Sturm plant daisies in front, can't let him sit there.

Also, anyone that doesn't think Leighton played great again needs to pull their head out of their ass. Leighton played great, Thomas played better. It was a great goaltending duel, and sucks that the Flyers didn't come out on top, but they had plenty of missed opportunities to not say that they should have won that game, but that's the way the game goes.

Otherwise, I had a great time! See pics below.
I don't see how that makes sense to be honest. You said that Thomas played great, but that the Flyers also screwed up a lot of great opportunities. I don't think Thomas had a great game. He was average I thought. That first goal was entirely his fault and somewhat embarrassing. He did decent the rest of the game, but he wasn't challenged enough to be called "great" that game. I blame our players for beefing up his stats more then anything.

Leighton played pretty well I thought. He looked shaky at times (that slapper from the blue-line that he almost let in for one...), but he was pretty solid for the most part. I don't think he was challenged too much like Thomas, but he did play well for us. If I had to describe both goalies that game it would be "solid" not "great".

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:07 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Was Coburn playing third pairing or was it me?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:21 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I don't know but atleast he was playing like a 3rd pairing guy...

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:33 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
When the game first started the pairings were listed on NBC and Coburn was listed as being placed with Bartulis. I just checked his stats he played 19:54 both Syvret and Bartulis played less than him. Interestingly enough however Syvret played only one second less of even strength than Coburn, but I don't really think that's neccesarily a reflection of Laviolette's view of Coburn as he got both PP and PK time and we have a pairing of Pronger and Carle which generally gets 20+ min. (I believe) and Kimmo who also plays a decent chunk of the game.

The TOI stats are here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2009020609

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Coburn was with Bartulis it seemed like for the most part.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:29 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Can't believe you guys are *****ing about the refs. Unbelievable. They managed to capitalize on the PP, we didn't. They buried their chances we didn't.

Seriously, how many 2-on-1's and breakaways does it take for a Flyers player to score a goal? Un****ingbelievable.
i am blaming the refs. For the COMPLETELY BLATANT 2 extra skaters on the ice when the OT goal was scored. It's completely PITIFUL that the NHL wishes to be taken seriously again by sports fans and they allow that **** to occur and completely change the outcome of a game. So yes, it was completely the refs fault that OT goal counted as the winner. Is it the refs fault that the flyers should have capitalized? no the score could have easily been 4-0 flyers after the 1st period but they decided to dick around after syvrets goal. That is beyond the point. Im not complaining because they lost. Im complaining because of the absolutely ridiculous nature of the win that the Bruins did not deserve. If they had won it on a goal that should have been allowed or in the shootout, then that's great for them, we should have played better. But in absolutely no way did they deserve to win on that piece of crap of a goal.

Even Flyers On the Fly seems to know what i'm talking about
Quote:
...The team will try and avoid a letdown tomorrow after dealing with all of the pomp and circumstance of yesterday’s Winter Classic at Fenway Park, in which Boston tied the game late and then won in overtime (with two extra players on the ice…but we won’t go there right now).

Last edited by orange is better: 01-02-2010 at 02:40 PM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Anyone know where I can find that jacket Laviolette was wearing?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I was wondering that too. My dad wants one for his birthday. Hopefully they release them soon. Checked shop.nhl.com and Google shopping and got nothing.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:58 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
I don't think this one is exactly the same but it is similar- I think?

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.js...y_bestsell_img

edit: Oh no it's not really the same.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-02-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old
01-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Coburn was with Bartulis it seemed like for the most part.
The starting pairings have been Syvret-Timonen, Bartulis-Coburn since Parent got injured again. It's pretty obvious why - you don't want Syvret and Bartulis out there together.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:59 PM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
The starting pairings have been Syvret-Timonen, Bartulis-Coburn since Parent got injured again. It's pretty obvious why - you don't want Syvret and Bartulis out there together.
I think that even before Parent injury for few games Bartulis was playing with Coburn

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:41 PM
ShortBus

I'm more interested in the winter hats they were wearing. that would be in my
budget if I could get one.

ShortBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:33 PM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Has anyone got a good photo of Carcillo with the bull horns after he did his destroying act? That was *****ing.
I think it's slightly blurred (I brought the new pocket camera I got for Christmas with me but forgot to bring my usual camera that I bring to games and unfortunately it's not quite as fast) but I do have a pic of Carcillo. I don't know if I'll get them online tonight since I'm exhausted from the drive home but I'll be sure to post it.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I was impressed Carcillo just let Thornton go once he dropped him, but then I heard that the fight was staged so Carcillo had nothing to be mad about. I wonder if he would do that in a spontaneous scrap. I hope so.

[rant]
I hear a lot of people (generally, not just on here) complaining about the out come of the game. They crack me up. Yeah there was a missed call, but unless there is a trend of lots of bad calls changing a game, I think it's poor form to ***** about reffing. You play the game on it's own terms, and they include missed/incorrect calls, bad bounces, bad ice, and players operating at the edge of the rules. The other team caught a break, no big deal, you just try to deal with it.
[/rant]

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Injury updates:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...835&feedID=695

Quote:
Emery practices
Ray Emery had a second, hard practice and faced a lot of shots. He says he might be back in net next week ahead of his scheduled Jan. 20 return from abdominal surgery.

“I feel good,” he said. “I’ve skated four or five times now. I’ve got to get my feet back under me. Since I started I felt strong but have been kinda tentative. I don’t want to stretch out too far. Things are kinda still tight in there [abdomen/groin]. But I think it’s more trusting myself to do certain things. I think it’s healed. I need to get confidence in there again,”

Emery said he plans to practice every day from here on.

Loose pucks
Ryan Parent is limping badly on his left side. Is it his back, groin, leg or foot? Parent won’t say, but did say he’s never had this kind of injury before and he doesn’t know when he will return. Emery, Parent and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (left knee sprain) all flew back to Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon and did not go with the club to Ottawa. … Emery grew a beard during his layoff. He said he might shave it off. “Not much need for shaving,” he said of his daily routine. ... In their last meeting, the Flyers lost to Ottawa, 2-0 on home ice on Dec. 10.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...802&feedID=695
Quote:

Per their reputation, the Flyers' faithful matched and even exceeded that of the Bruins' fans throughout much of the game. Boston fans reacted to the pro-Flyers cheering rather than leading their own, as the fan-bases went back and forth with alternating chants of "Let's go, Flyers" and "Here we go, Bruins."

Of course, it was easier to take the ribbing while the Flyers' remained in the lead. As the third period began, the stadium rose in intensity, perhaps just realizing it actually was a game. Mark Recchi's game-tying goal late in the third period caused the Bruins-heavy crowd to erupt, and Marco Sturm's game-winning goal in overtime gave the home team the win.

Despite the loss, the Winter Classic experience showed a lot about the Flyers and their fans. Granted, New Year's in Boston is far from a burden, but the willingness to travel the five-plus hours to watch their team in cold and unfamiliar territory speaks of the fans' dedication. For much of the game, they carried the action in the stands, only to be rewarded with disappointment and the ignominy of slinking out of an enemy stadium in defeat.

They will return, however. In the end, it is only one of 82 games, in which the score counts much less than the overall experience does. The Winter Classic is one of those rare sporting events in which the scene trumps the game itself. A positive result enhances the experience, but nothing short of complete embarrassment could cause regret.

The Flyers did themselves well on the national stage, and the fans followed close behind in an annual event that will only get better and better.

Old
01-02-2010, 06:06 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

can anyone provide photo evidence of the two extra skaters? If so, that won't be the first time something like this has happened to us in OT

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
As a last resort, contact the NHL's main office and ask for the marketing department. More than likely, they can assist. (212) 789-2000

Old
01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
UseYourAllusion

Pics from the Game:

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:00 PM
ilovetheflyers8

That panorama picture is awesome you can see so much detail.

Old
01-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

So, I literally just got back from Boston. I'm not going to read the GDT..at least not right now. Of course I'm disappointed in the loss, but I can't even dwell on that because I had such an absolute fantastic time the entire weekend. From NYE, to the game itself, to the Legends game today and everything in between. The Boston fans were great to us, and I just can't say enough good things about the entire experience.

I'll post some pics soon...but I took over 1200 pics this weekend. I'll make a photobucket album with all of them if anyone wants to see them.

I hope everyone who went had just as good an experience as we did.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Thresher

Great pics

For 1865, here's a screen cap from Coach's Corner:

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote