HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Wheeling to the Winter Classic Charity Event

Old
12-28-2009, 09:02 PM
flountown

vCash: 500
Day 2 complete, rough is all I have to say...the hills on a tandem are almost unrideable. Thanks to all who have helped in anyway.

Quote:
Well, after day two we are about 55 miles closer to Boston and relaxing in warmth and comfort for the next 9 hours or so. Some highlights from today's trip include meeting a lovely lady named Thea on our walk up the tallest mountain (hill) on Staten Island;, a nice ride on the Staten Island Ferry;, a bit of sightseeing at the UN, and a lovely ride through the wonderful Bronx. All was going well until we got out of New York City and we began to hit very unfriendly roads and some huge hills. We were hoping we could do the 55 miles fairly quickly based on our pace from yesterday, but it honestly felt like we traveled over a hundred when all was said and done. We have learned to expect hills for tomorrow's journey as well as much colder temperatures.

In news not directly related to travel, we had quite a it of exposure today in terms articles published by local wevsites and an appearance of our interview on ABC News. The articles were published by Phinnalyphilly.com and BroadStreetHockey.com:
http://www.phinallyphilly.com/2009/1...street-bikers/
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/200...inter#comments

We also broke the $1,000 mark in donations received today and are currently around $1100, thans to all who donated and thanks in advance to anybody else who decides to donate money to our cause. The more we raise, the more the Blessed Sarnelli Community can help those Philadelphians in need.

But for now, I am signing off to get some much needed rest.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:55 PM
UseYourAllusion

You guys are crazy!

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:05 PM
hotshot26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If it snows, on a bicycle you'll never make it.

On a motorcycle, you won't make it either but at least you'll die with your dignity intact.

As your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed and it will be a god-damned miracle if you get there before you turn into a wild animal.

hotshot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:04 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

I imagine them showing up in Boston like Harry and Lloyd in Dumb and Dumber...snot out of the nose, wind burn.....etc...

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:02 PM
flountown

Well, to save the quote, day 3 blog is up and in other news we passed $1500 and got a mention on the NHL.com's Winter Classic Site!!!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=511518

Thanks again help you can or have already provided.

And thanks for that Dumb and Dumber clip, today was pretty much like the shot coming up the hill through the mountain pass...It did get a bit chilly, water bottles froze for the first time on the trip.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:18 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Wow, yeah, it was cold today. 20 degrees in philly right now!

Good luck on these last couple days, hopefully you can beat the nasty storm front on it's way in.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:33 PM
flountown

Well, 1 more day of biking, and due to good planning, it is our shortest ride. We are hoping to arrive in the range of 4-6pm tomorrow.

We got a huge mention on WIP this morning and will be calling again tomorrow, so listen in from 7:30-8 or so to try and catch us.

In other news, we finally got a huge mention, no offense to the blog/news sites dedicated to Philly Sports (Phinally Philly, Broad Street Hockey, and Philly2Philly) but we got a huge mention on the NHL.com/winterclassic site. We are in the front page news rotation flash program thingy.

Old
12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
CharlieGirl

That's awesome!

Have a good ride tomorrow guys!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Lol, I heard you on WIP this morning. Hugh Douglas was making fun of one of you guys for being fat and that the other guy must be doing all the work while he's kickin back with his feet up. All in good fun. Good luck, I hope you guys get there early so you can relax a little bit. Look on the bright side, you guys may be the only people not freezing their ass off at the game.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:28 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I posted the link from NHL on my website and your website where people can donate. Not that too many people go to my site. Good luck in the last leg and get there so you can have a beverage or 20.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:10 PM
7475Fly

Any update?

7475Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
ki11joy

Heard Doc give you guys a shout out yesterday during a break in play. How awesome is that?

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:22 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
Heard Doc give you guys a shout out yesterday during a break in play. How awesome is that?
Yeah, our phones blew up during the first period. I gotta go back and get the video feed so we can watch it.

And we finally posted a final day blog. It was a rough day and NBC 7 in Boston did a really cool story on us, we spent about an hour filming different shots for them. The game was a bit disappointing in the result but overall it was great. A couple of people were nice enough to buy us beers after hearing about our trip. Also, you can still donate in case you were waiting for us to make it there. We will most likely make a nice wrap up letter in the next few days to close up the event, I will keep you all updated...

Old
01-02-2010, 11:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Wayne Fish mentioned this:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...ers-notes.html

Quote:
Drexel students arrive on bikes: Most Philadelphia fans arrived for the game by plane, train or automobile.

Not two students from Drexel.

They rode a two-seat bicycle from Philadelphia to Boston, getting donations and raising money for a local charity.

Andrew Moriarity and Patrick Montgomery, both 23, biked to Beantown and hit town on Thursday after stopping in Staten Island, N.Y., twice in Connecticut and once in Warwick, R.I.

They were riding for a charity (the Blessed Sarnelli Community) for poor and abandoned people in Philadelphia, and said they raised over $2,100.

The pair got ready for their 325-mile trek by riding exercise bikes in Drexel’s gym.

"But it’s much different than being outside with hills, the wind and the weather," Montgomery said.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I didn't walk down the hill, but I saw you guys NYE right by Fenway. You were in some kind of parking lot talking to some people. It kinda looked like you had just pulled in! I yelled "FLOUNTOWN!" and waved...you waved but i have no idea if you heard me.

Great job on making it!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:21 AM
JChace029*

I was talking to my girlfriend about you guys during the game. Then we got home and we heard Doc give you a shout out about your trek on the telecast. That's great that you got the exposure for your trip and charity. Congrats for making it, and for stopping in my hometown of Warwick!

JChace029* is offline   Reply With Quote