HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hd Tv

Old
01-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
One of the most curious things in this thread is people dropping thousands on home entertainment systems and then worrying about spending a few more on hdmi cables and where to go to save a few bucks.

Why drive to some place like princess auto?!? half way across the city to find out they don't have any instead of just going to the nearest place?

As far as Monoprice I must be built differently than most people but I brought the HDTV and Bluray home and couldn't wait to fire the sucker up. No way I would be ordering cables online and waiting patiently for them to show up.

TV, Cables,(everything I needed in one pack) Bluray, at Costco, no fuss no bother, no going to 5 different places plus if I'm not happy I can return it all.

Great experience. Had it fired up playing Black Knight in surround an hour after getting home.

No waiting, no driving all over the city chasing cables..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:09 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
One of the most curious things in this thread is people dropping thousands on home entertainment systems and then worrying about spending a few more on hdmi cables and where to go to save a few bucks.

Why drive to some place like princess auto?!? half way across the city to find out they don't have any instead of just going to the nearest place?
I spent slightly more than 1k on TV+BluRay, not "thousands". And yes I ended up buying one overpriced HDMI from Visions half an hour ago since PA (which is less than 10 minutes drive from my place anyways) were out of them (thanks ML, but too late ) and I was impatient as you predicted. However I just ordered another one that I will need from Monoprice. I don't see what is the big fuss with saving more than $50 bucks on a cable.

Last edited by The Moose: 01-01-2010 at 05:18 PM.
The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Fourier

Quote:

As far as Monoprice I must be built differently than most people but I brought the HDTV and Bluray home and couldn't wait to fire the sucker up. No way I would be ordering cables online and waiting patiently for them to show up.

TV, Cables,(everything I needed in one pack) Bluray, at Costco, no fuss no bother, no going to 5 different places plus if I'm not happy I can return it all.

Great experience. Had it fired up playing Black Knight in surround an hour after getting home.

No waiting, no driving all over the city chasing cables..
It's all about the principle!

I am definitely one of those that have spent big dollars on my stuff but I still want to know that the more I pay the better the equipment. The issue with HDMI cables is pretty mush they work or they don't! So why pay $80 if you can get something that works for $10?

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I spent slightly more than 1k on TV+BluRay, not "thousands". And yes I ended up buying one overpriced HDMI from Visions half an hour ago since PA (which is less than 10 minutes drive from my place anyways) were out of them (thanks ML, but too late ) and I was impatient as you predicted. However I just ordered another one that I will need from Monoprice. I don't see what is the big fuss with saving more than $50 bucks on a cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
It's all about the principle!

I am definitely one of those that have spent big dollars on my stuff but I still want to know that the more I pay the better the equipment. The issue with HDMI cables is pretty mush they work or they don't! So why pay $80 if you can get something that works for $10?
Hey I'm a noted tightwad here and normally able to give in to any delay of gratification. So I found some of my comments surprising myself.

Theres something about electronics that makes me a kid out of the candy store that can't wait to unwrap stuff and set it up and get it purring.
Not having all the right cables immediately on hand would drive me batty.

Plus this is the one time of year where I gladly cut timesaving shopping corners and avoid the trips out in the shopping jungle.

Oh and I love that the Costco has a liquor store too.

Aside from that you guys are overstating the savings. I got 2 HDMI cables, 2 digital audio cables,2 Component cables, RCA cable, screen cleaner etc. all in one package which was curious exactly what I needed for 99bucks. I didn't spend 50 bucks more on one cable. It is possible I spend 50bucks more than mail order on the whole package I guess but I'll willingly pay that for convenience of one stop shopping.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-01-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to oilfansixtynine
I have 4 hdtvs/hd sat receivers and 2 bluray players + a ps3 in my house along with 2 audio recievers that do hdmi swithcing, sure am glad i didnt spend thousands on crazy-marked-up-overpriced hdmi cables.... monoprice is the way to go, there in-wall speakers are also great for those that are interested.... although the in-wall subwoofers are passive and require a seperate powered sub-amplifier...

oilfansixtynine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Martin Lawrence? Your taste in movies STINKS

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
rookie boy

Quote:
Aside from that you guys are overstating the savings. I got 2 HDMI cables, 2 digital audio cables,2 Component cables, RCA cable, screen cleaner etc. all in one package which was curious exactly what I needed for 99bucks. I didn't spend 50 bucks more on one cable. It is possible I spend 50bucks more than mail order on the whole package I guess but I'll willingly pay that for convenience of one stop shopping.
I can understand not wanting to wait and buy cables, however, your $99 package (I know, minor in the big scheme of the buy) could be had for under $10 on monoprice. (Not incl. shipping)

Now, you next need buttkickers to complete the setting!

http://htauthority.com/index_files/ButtKickerLFEKit.htm

The retail price for cables have come down, but it all depends on the distance needed. I have 4 under six foot runs of HDMi, but also a 35ft. run. On monoprice, the 35ft. can be had for $40, you still cannot find that retail anywhere for under $200-$300 bucks.

Needed the 35 ft.run for my theater: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=bobier

Jason.

rookie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Martin Lawrence? Your taste in movies STINKS
Sorry, lol The Dark knight..

really

Old
01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
I can understand not wanting to wait and buy cables, however, your $99 package (I know, minor in the big scheme of the buy) could be had for under $10 on monoprice. (Not incl. shipping)
The package I got runs about 30bucks at monoprice.(I should mention it was actually 3 HDMI cables) Add in the 20bucks shipping, GST, inconvenience, and I've never once had a parcel arrive while at home and so usually end up having to pick it up at post office. Wait in line, wait for them to find it, pita, etc. Plus the time and gas for going to the post office.

Quote:
The retail price for cables have come down, but it all depends on the distance needed. I have 4 under six foot runs of HDMi, but also a 35ft. run. On monoprice, the 35ft. can be had for $40, you still cannot find that retail anywhere for under $200-$300 bucks.
This is wrong.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....at2341&topnav=

I've seen these right in the warehouses.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-02-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old
01-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Hey I'm a noted tightwad here and normally able to give in to any delay of gratification. So I found some of my comments surprising myself.

Theres something about electronics that makes me a kid out of the candy store that can't wait to unwrap stuff and set it up and get it purring.
Not having all the right cables immediately on hand would drive me batty.

Plus this is the one time of year where I gladly cut timesaving shopping corners and avoid the trips out in the shopping jungle.

Oh and I love that the Costco has a liquor store too.

You got a pretty good deal for a retail store. I was in FS the other day and a salesman was trying to convince a customer that a $79 HDMI 6" cable was going to be needed to get the best out of his PS3. The console is $299. The poor guy was clearly perplexed. When the salesman went away I told the guy that I had just purchased a 6" HDMI on sale at the Source for $12. (In fact, I actually had a $19 cable but the salesman at the source told me that they had some for $12!). This is something I never do, but it was clear that the customer was reconsidering his whole purchase because of the added costs. Moreover, I was disgusted at the line of bull the salesman gave to the poor guy.

If this was a $5000 TV then I agree that delaying things over $50 bucks might be tough to do. But you would be surprised how much money goes out the window on cables. Cables and extended warranties are the great money makers on the electronics front.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-02-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old
01-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
You got a pretty good deal for a retail store. I was in FS the other day and a salesman was trying to convince a customer that a $79 HDMI 6" cable was going to be needed to get the best out of his PS3. The console is $299. The poor guy was clearly perplexed. When the salesman went away I told the guy that I had just purchased a 6" HDMI on sale at the Source for $12. (In fact, I actually had a $19 cable but the salesman at the source told me that they had some for $12!). This is something I never do, but it was clear that the customer was reconsidering his whole purchase because of the added costs. Moreover, I was discussed at the line of bull the salesman gave to the poor guy.
You're lucky they didn't call the cops on you for that!

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
You're lucky they didn't call the cops on you for that!
LOL! You know that funny thing is I a probably saved the store a sale. The poor guy I spoke to was about to walk on the whole purchase. It was a young couple, who seemed to be on a budget.

As I said before, I never do this sort of thing. But I was standing right beside the guy waiting for service and could not help but hear the lies the salesman was telling the customer. Of course it is very possible that the salesman (a kid really) had no idea whether or not what he was saying was accurate.

This is why I never buy anything large from FS. There is so much pressure to move certain unnecessary products that I just can't take their sales pitches anymore. Moreover, the smaller specialty stores will beat FS price 99% of the time with little or no hassle, and most often the guys working their know what they are talking about.

Old
01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You got a pretty good deal for a retail store. I was in FS the other day and a salesman was trying to convince a customer that a $79 HDMI 6" cable was going to be needed to get the best out of his PS3. The console is $299. The poor guy was clearly perplexed. When the salesman went away I told the guy that I had just purchased a 6" HDMI on sale at the Source for $12. (In fact, I actually had a $19 cable but the salesman at the source told me that they had some for $12!). This is something I never do, but it was clear that the customer was reconsidering his whole purchase because of the added costs. Moreover, I was disgusted at the line of bull the salesman gave to the poor guy.

If this was a $5000 TV then I agree that delaying things over $50 bucks might be tough to do. But you would be surprised how much money goes out the window on cables. Cables and extended warranties are the great money makers on the electronics front.
This is about the most I've ever spent on cables and I would usually just grab them at Source, London Drugs, or Liquidation World(but now the locations are not handy) I'm not a fan of monster cables but Liquidation world usually had em for 10-20bucks.

Yeah I never buy the coverage hook line and sinker. Its another reason I buy at Costco which automatically covers your electronics purchase for 2 yrs.

To me it makes no sense that the cables and coverage should cost as much as the merchandise..

Old
01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
rookie boy

Quote:
This is wrong.

I've seen these right in the warehouses.
Replacement, I stand very corrected. I had meant to post when I bought mine a few years ago, but nevertheless, I still didn't think you could have them retail as good a price as the link.

Interesting, I think they'll be even less than in the future.

Thanks for the info, and for prices like that, I don't think I would wait for cables either.

Your point on not being home, etc, stands, as a buddy of mine is still waiting for cables from monoprice that did not arrive in time for the holidays. However, he did need a 50ft. he also could not source locally.

Cheers,

Jason.

Old
01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Replacement, I stand very corrected. I had meant to post when I bought mine a few years ago, but nevertheless, I still didn't think you could have them retail as good a price as the link.

Interesting, I think they'll be even less than in the future.

Thanks for the info, and for prices like that, I don't think I would wait for cables either.

Your point on not being home, etc, stands, as a buddy of mine is still waiting for cables from monoprice that did not arrive in time for the holidays. However, he did need a 50ft. he also could not source locally.

Cheers,

Jason.
Thanks for the reasonable response. Costco has had reasonable pricing on cables for years. I think its why I never investigated alternatives.

But in the end again its convenience. The effort to slap a pack of cables found in the same aisle in same store on top of TV and bluray player and have everything.

Thanks on behalf of the thread for the good info you have provided though. Plus the pictures of your great hometheatre setup.

I think the Oilers might want to party at your place.

Old
01-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Now, you next need buttkickers to complete the setting!

http://htauthority.com/index_files/ButtKickerLFEKit.htm

Needed the 35 ft.run for my theater: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=bobier

Jason.
We need to periodically bring this thread back to life until as many people as possible on here discover the wonders of front projection! The news just keeps getting better and better. The new Panny has a Canadian MSRP of $2999 which means that $2K street will not be out of the question in the near future, and Epson has some great deals as well. The JVC's have also dropped substantially.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-02-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old
01-02-2010, 04:09 PM
rookie boy

Quote:
We need to periodically bring this thread back to life until as many people as possible on here discover the wonders of front projection! The news just keeps getting better and better. The new Panny has a Canadian MSRP of $2999 which means that $2K street will not be out of the question in the near future, and Epson has some great deals as well. The JVC's have also dropped substantially.
Yeah, I just started to begin to research again for theater 2.0, as it looks like we're going to build a new house in the next year and a half. As well, I was doing some quick comparisons for a buddy this weekend as he now wants the whole set-up for the Superbowl. That Panny looks fantastic for that price. I've never liked epson, but it's not really based on anything, just a bad Epson salesman I came across when doing the basement.

Fourier, I preach front projection all the time, and have as many people over to view what it can be like. It's funny though, even though it's cheaper in most cases than a large screen plasma or LCD, people still are very reluctant.

I have never seen the JVC live, although it's what I'm leaning toword in the future. Too many good reviews at this point to not get it.

Thanks guys for this thread, it seems I only contribute (OK, just post bad information really ) in the OT threads. Could be that these topics are more predictable than the Oilers!

Jason.

Old
01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Yeah, I just started to begin to research again for theater 2.0, as it looks like we're going to build a new house in the next year and a half. As well, I was doing some quick comparisons for a buddy this weekend as he now wants the whole set-up for the Superbowl. That Panny looks fantastic for that price. I've never liked epson, but it's not really based on anything, just a bad Epson salesman I came across when doing the basement.

Fourier, I preach front projection all the time, and have as many people over to view what it can be like. It's funny though, even though it's cheaper in most cases than a large screen plasma or LCD, people still are very reluctant.

I have never seen the JVC live, although it's what I'm leaning toword in the future. Too many good reviews at this point to not get it.

Thanks guys for this thread, it seems I only contribute (OK, just post bad information really ) in the OT threads. Could be that these topics are more predictable than the Oilers!

Jason.
I have a 5 year old Epson that just won't die. It's got power zoom which is a very nice feature, and power focus. When I got it it was the top performer amongst LCD's. My wife cannot take one chip DLP and at the time the alternatives were all over $12K. My recent purchases have been flat panel TV's. I keep thinking about upgrading the pj but since the Epson on HDTV, Blu ray or HD-DVD still looks great I am going to wait one more year. It does not match the picture quality of my Elite but the size makes up for any pq issues in spades.

If I was going to buy now I would likley go JVC. The guy I buy from locally has really good prices. I have not seen this generation but have seen the previous ones. Sony also has some nice LCOS pj's. I like the technology a lot, as it has some of the best qualities of very good DLP's without the drawbacks. That said though, the current generation of mid-range LCD's are great bargains for their price.

People are afraid of front projection. In some cases, (too much ambient light) this is reasonable, but in many cases it is simply a missunderstanding of how simple a pj can be to set up. I have mine shelf mounted in a wall unit behind my seating. This cuts the cable issues to a minimum. The original setup took about 15 minutes with the picture on a painted wall. I was originally going to order a Stewart Luxus Deluxe with Studio Tek 100 screen after our reno was completed. But my wife convinced me to keep the wall. My guess is that the screen might give me a 10-15% improvement, but for about $2k, I can live with things a little while longer!

Old
01-02-2010, 05:09 PM
rookie boy

Quote:
I have a 5 year old Epson that just won't die. It's got power zoom which is a very nice feature, and power focus. When I got it it was the top performer amongst LCD's. My wife cannot take one chip DLP and at the time the alternatives were all over $12K. My recent purchases have been flat panel TV's. I keep thinking about upgrading the pj but since the Epson on HDTV, Blu ray or HD-DVD still looks great I am going to wait one more year. It does not match the picture quality of my Elite but the size makes up for any pq issues in spades.

If I was going to buy now I would likley go JVC. The guy I buy from locally has really good prices. I have not seen this generation but have seen the previous ones. Sony also has some nice LCOS pj's. I like the technology a lot, as it has some of the best qualities of very good DLP's without the drawbacks. That said though, the current generation of mid-range LCD's are great bargains for their price.

People are afraid of front projection. In some cases, (too much ambient light) this is reasonable, but in many cases it is simply a missunderstanding of how simple a pj can be to set up. I have mine shelf mounted in a wall unit behind my seating. This cuts the cable issues to a minimum. The original setup took about 15 minutes with the picture on a painted wall. I was originally going to order a Stewart Luxus Deluxe with Studio Tek 100 screen after our reno was completed. But my wife convinced me to keep the wall. My guess is that the screen might give me a 10-15% improvement, but for about $2k, I can live with things a little while longer!
My wife cannot handle the DLP either.

I have a Sony VPL VW-60 (Black Pearl) and am very happy with it, it's just that the JVC usually beats it in every review. I am currently projecting on a 128" screen, but I think I'll be going bigger, to a 135" in T2.0. If so, I'll demo a JVC and see if it's worth the upgrade (and then prob. sell you the Sony for next to nothing ) because you'll have the upgrade itch then.

We have a Carada Brilliant White screen, but we projected on the wall for about a month to decide on a proper size for the room and our distance to picture. You're correct, it's only about a 15% difference, but it does finish off the room nicely. If you haven't checked out Carada (www.carada.com) do so, because you can pick up a very nice screen there for under 1k easily. You prob. already have though, as you said you have visited avsforum often.

My projector is also shelf mounted behind seating as I have gone the 2:35 route via the zoom method.

Cheers,

Jason.

Old
01-02-2010, 07:41 PM
The Moose

Quote:
This is about the most I've ever spent on cables and I would usually just grab them at Source, London Drugs, or Liquidation World(but now the locations are not handy) I'm not a fan of monster cables but Liquidation world usually had em for 10-20bucks.

Yeah I never buy the coverage hook line and sinker. Its another reason I buy at Costco which automatically covers your electronics purchase for 2 yrs.

To me it makes no sense that the cables and coverage should cost as much as the merchandise..
I feel silly that I didn't check Costco. And I do have a membership and I shop there at least twice a month. Thanks Replacement

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I feel silly that I didn't check Costco. And I do have a membership and I shop there at least twice a month. Thanks Replacement
heh, You're welcome. I feel sorta silly too. The 6pack of cables is on sale until at least tomorrow for 69bucks. 30 buck reduction off what I paid a couple weeks earlier.

Oddly its not onsale as it appears online but it is in the warehouse.

Sale is last day tomorrow though and costco is a zoo right now.

The wife likes shopping but I think I've had my fill..

Oh just to contribute on projectors heres another great sale. (Only on sale tomorrow)

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....s=9&lang=en-CA

Hell if they paid me enough I'd just work at Costco.

Old
01-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Fourier

Quote:
My wife cannot handle the DLP either.

I have a Sony VPL VW-60 (Black Pearl) and am very happy with it, it's just that the JVC usually beats it in every review. I am currently projecting on a 128" screen, but I think I'll be going bigger, to a 135" in T2.0. If so, I'll demo a JVC and see if it's worth the upgrade (and then prob. sell you the Sony for next to nothing ) because you'll have the upgrade itch then.

We have a Carada Brilliant White screen, but we projected on the wall for about a month to decide on a proper size for the room and our distance to picture. You're correct, it's only about a 15% difference, but it does finish off the room nicely. If you haven't checked out Carada (www.carada.com) do so, because you can pick up a very nice screen there for under 1k easily. You prob. already have though, as you said you have visited avsforum often.

My projector is also shelf mounted behind seating as I have gone the 2:35 route via the zoom method.

Cheers,

Jason.
The black pearl is still a very good pj! As you know doubt know it was a pretty revolutionary product at the time. When I was originally looking the sony SXRD pj was the Qualia which was just about to be replaced by the Ruby. I had the pleasure of seen both but the price tags on these pj's in Canada was pretty dear. Had the Pearl been on the scene it would definitely have been my choice.

I had some Carada screen material sent to me. It was a very good product for the money. (If anyone on here is ever looking for a screen contact David Giles at Carada. The guy flat out gives great service!) They also had a Carada screen at a local shoot-out, along with Draper, Da-Lite, Stewart and Vutex, as well as several of AVS's most exotic DIY screens. The Vutex Silverstar was interesting as it came as one big slab, shipped in a huge crate. IT was like the High-power in that it had tremendous gain if you were in the sweet spot.

Quote:
heh, You're welcome. I feel sorta silly too. The 6pack of cables is on sale until at least tomorrow for 69bucks. 30 buck reduction off what I paid a couple weeks earlier.

Oddly its not onsale as it appears online but it is in the warehouse.

Sale is last day tomorrow though and costco is a zoo right now.

The wife likes shopping but I think I've had my fill..

Oh just to contribute on projectors heres another great sale. (Only on sale tomorrow)

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....s=9&lang=en-CA

Hell if they paid me enough I'd just work at Costco.
This is a nice find! I had never heard of it, but from the specs it seems to be a rebadge of the HD65. This is a very good price for a solid pj. Here is a review:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd65/index.php

One word of caution: This is projector lacks the feature known as lens shift that allows one to move the picture around without distorting the image. This means that the Optoma (like most DLP's) is more finicky when it comes to where the pj can be placed.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old
01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
rookie boy

Quote:
I had some Carada screen material sent to me. It was a very good product for the money. (If anyone on here is ever looking for a screen contact David Giles at Carada. The guy flat out gives great service!) They also had a Carada screen at a local shoot-out, along with Draper, Da-Lite, Stewart and Vutex, as well as several of AVS's most exotic DIY screens. The Vutex Silverstar was interesting as it came as one big slab, shipped in a huge crate. IT was like the High-power in that it had tremendous gain if you were in the sweet spot.
That would have been great to see. What was the result of the shoot-out? What projector was used? (Sorry to all if this is starting to hi-jack the thread)