HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan Or Dubinsky

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Trade Callahan and keep Dubinsky 44 44.90%
Trade Dubinsky and keep Callahan 54 55.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2010, 11:04 AM
  #1
NYRangers09
Registered User
 
NYRangers09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Callahan Or Dubinsky

With all the talk about the possibility of trading for Kovalchuk, I was wondering how my fellow Ranger fans feel about this. If Atlanta gave us the choice of keeping one and trading the other, who would you keep? and who would you trade?

If its up to me, I keep Dubinsky. I still see him as a very possible legit 2nd line center and Callahan I feel is a glorified 3rd liner maybe fringe 2nd liner.

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:10 AM
  #2
valence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
dubi has more upside...if only he can have callahan's tenacity and work ethic...i'll keep dubi

valence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:16 AM
  #3
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by valence View Post
dubi has more upside...if only he can have callahan's tenacity and work ethic...i'll keep dubi
Agreed, I'd keep Dubinsky over Callahan if I had to make a decision.

As for Callahan being more tenacious and having a greater work ethic I don't think that's true, they both strike me as over achievers.

Dubinsky has a great work ethic. We're talking about a kid who drastically improved his skating to make it to the NHL, was a pupil of Jagr who still takes an interest in him and even went to Jason Strudwick for tips on improving his fighting. His tenacity definitely matches Cally as well, night in and night out they're two of our hardest workers, IMO.

Work ethic and tenacity are something I've never questioned from the both of them.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
  #4
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,831
vCash: 50
Callahan over Dubinsky

Dubinsky is one of those guys who looks like he could be a 70 point forward but simply isn't because of dreadful inconsistancy. Theresa reason all of his rookie goals were on nice dekes; his shot is atrocious.

Callahan is one of the best bottom 6 forwards in the league, among league leaders in hits, blocked shots, and can pop in about 15-20 goals a season as well. Not even mentioning that our prospect center depth>our winger depth.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
  #5
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Not even mentioning that our prospect center depth>our winger depth.
I believe we have greater depth at wing than C. Stepan is our only legitimate center prospect. Grachev and Kreider were switched to wing and it looks as though Werek will eventually follow the same path. With Dubinsky gone that leaves us with Drury, Anisimov, Boyle and Christensen. Prospal belongs on the wing ideally. I think we're significantly stronger in the NHL and in the pipeline on the wings.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:42 AM
  #6
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I like Dubinsky at wing anyway. I'd prefer to keep him there, it allows him to utilize his skillset better. Assuming we don't trade for Kovalchuk and keep both, lets go out and get another center this off-season and keep Dubi at wing. Re-up Prospal for one more year. That gives you an acquired center, Prospal, Anisimov, Drury/Boyle at center. I wouldn't mind moving Drury or Anisimov to wing either.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
  #7
segmentation fault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
In a perfect world I would keep Dubi, but if he can net a decent return then its a different story.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:02 PM
  #8
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Depending on what team we're dealing with, you can probably get similar returns for both players. Some teams will covet Dubinsky's size and how he's established himself as a top 6 player when healthy, others will covet Callahan's heart, hustle, and versatility.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
  #9
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
keep both but I picked Callahan just because of his strong 2 way game. Hence why he is on team USA and Dubi is not

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
  #10
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
keep both but I picked Callahan just because of his strong 2 way game. Hence why he is on team USA and Dubi is not
So by that logic Mike Komisarek is better than Tim Gleason or Keith Ballard?

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
  #11
Sayba
Registered User
 
Sayba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
keep both but I picked Callahan just because of his strong 2 way game. Hence why he is on team USA and Dubi is not
Brian Burke also picked Drury to be on team USA so to use that argument is void.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
  #12
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
So by that logic Mike Komisarek is better than Tim Gleason or Keith Ballard?
he was saying Callahan's stronger 2 way game is why Dubinsky is on team USA, not that Callahan being on team USA is why he chose him over Dubinsky

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:33 PM
  #13
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
he was saying Callahan's stronger 2 way game is why Dubinsky is on team USA, not that Callahan being on team USA is why he chose him over Dubinsky
I could make the same argument for Gleason and Ballard. They're better in their own end and in the offensive zone. Same could be said for Keith Yandle.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
  #14
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
So by that logic Mike Komisarek is better than Tim Gleason or Keith Ballard?
Not by that logic, but yes, Komisarek is superior to those two players lol.

On topic: I'd get rid of Callahan before Dubinsky.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
  #15
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I could make the same argument for Gleason and Ballard. They're better in their own end and in the offensive zone. Same could be said for Keith Yandle.
Ok, well if that was his point though, I don't know why Komisarek is even int he argument. Callahan will be on the 3rd or 4th line on team USA, probably the same spot Dubinsky would be, and Callahan's 2 way game fits that spot more.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:53 PM
  #16
damicius
Registered User
 
damicius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Prague
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Callahan has no future. His no-brain physical play is based simply on his endurance. Now he is on the top and he will be worser every year.

damicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:55 PM
  #17
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Not by that logic, but yes, Komisarek is superior to those two players lol.

On topic: I'd get rid of Callahan before Dubinsky.
That might be your opinion but it's definitely not the general consensus. Couldn't be farther from it. If you would take Mike Komisarek over Keith Ballard, Tim Gleason or Keith Yandle then you're not watching enough hockey around the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Ok, well if that was his point though, I don't know why Komisarek is even int he argument. Callahan will be on the 3rd or 4th line on team USA, probably the same spot Dubinsky would be, and Callahan's 2 way game fits that spot more.
Because statements like that don't prove his point. I'm not saying he made an outlandish statement but to say Callahan has a better two way game than Dubinsky because he made the Olympic roster doesn't hold any water.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
  #18
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,831
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by damicius View Post
Callahan has no future. His no-brain physical play is based simply on his endurance. Now he is on the top and he will be worser every year.
Well I know I can take your opinion seriously. Ignore list.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
  #19
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Keep both players.

Sign Kovy as an UFA.

/thread

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
  #20
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post

Because statements like that don't prove his point. I'm not saying he made an outlandish statement but to say Callahan has a better two way game than Dubinsky because he made the Olympic roster doesn't hold any water.
all he did was say "his two way game is better" (that's why he's for keeping Cally over Dubinsky), and then the two-way game is why Cally made it over Dubinsky on team USA. He's not saying that Callahan has a better two way game because he made team USA, he's saying Callahan made Team USA because he has a better two way game. I didn't think it was that unclear.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:05 PM
  #21
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damicius View Post
Callahan has no future. His no-brain physical play is based simply on his endurance. Now he is on the top and he will be worser every year.
So Cally is going to start declining at the age of 24? Interesting. . . .

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:10 PM
  #22
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers
 
Hanke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
keep both but I picked Callahan just because of his strong 2 way game. Hence why he is on team USA and Dubi is not
This.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
  #23
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
all he did was say "his two way game is better" (that's why he's for keeping Cally over Dubinsky), and then the two-way game is why Cally made it over Dubinsky on team USA. He's not saying that Callahan has a better two way game because he made team USA, he's saying Callahan made Team USA because he has a better two way game. I didn't think it was that unclear.
That's the same exact statement just worded differently, it says the same thing. My point is an argument shouldn't be made to support anything based upon selections to a team, especially when the selections to said team have been greatly debated and questioned, in and out of Rangerland.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
  #24
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
That's the same exact statement just worded differently, it says the same thing. My point is an argument shouldn't be made to support anything based upon selections to a team, especially when the selections to said team have been greatly debated and questioned, in and out of Rangerland.
No it's not lol, one statement says that BECAUSE Callahan was selected to team USA, that must mean his 2 way game is better than Dubinsky's. The other says that Callahan's 2 way game is better than Dubinsky's, and that's WHY he was selected to team USA.

Team USA selecting Callahan doesn't mean his 2 way game is better.
Callahan's 2 way game being better than Dubinsky's is why he was selected to Team USA.

No one is arguing that Cally being selected to team USA and Dubinsky not being selected is something to be considered. The poster simply stated Cally's 2 way game is better than Dubinsky's, and that his selection to Team USA proves it (to some extent, I would agree).

He didn't say "Callahan got selected to Team USA because of his 2 way game, so because of the selection over Dubinsky is why I think we should keep Cally."

I can't believe I wasted this much time explaining this for a post I didn't even make.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
  #25
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
No it's not lol, one statement says that BECAUSE Callahan was selected to team USA, that must mean his 2 way game is better than Dubinsky's. The other says that Callahan's 2 way game is better than Dubinsky's, and that's WHY he was selected to team USA.

Team USA selecting Callahan doesn't mean his 2 way game is better.
Callahan's 2 way game being better than Dubinsky's is why he was selected to Team USA.

No one is arguing that Cally being selected to team USA and Dubinsky not being selected is something to be considered. The poster simply stated Cally's 2 way game is better than Dubinsky's, and that his selection to Team USA proves it (to some extent, I would agree).

He didn't say "Callahan got selected to Team USA because of his 2 way game, so because of the selection over Dubinsky is why I think we should keep Cally."

I can't believe I wasted this much time explaining this for a post I didn't even make.
Logically the result is the same, it's measuring one's ability based upon a selection to a team, and no other factors.

It's a waste of both our times, so agree to disagree, haha.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.