HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

It would be best for the NHL if Crosby was

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2004, 01:56 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
This isn't the NBA where a very talented player can thrive on a weak team. Crosby should be send, somehow, to a moderate team with a big market where he can help bring some attention back to the NHL.

Old
12-31-2004, 01:59 AM
Don Draper

vCash: 500
a few things. First, i think the "for the good of the game" argument is very important. For one, getting hockey back in the publics eye does more than line owners pockets, and prove better rating numbers. It also gets the popularity to a higher level where more kids are playing it at a grass roots level. Having 2million kids in Chicago playing hockey to become more like Sidney makes much more sense than 300thousand thinking the same thing in edmonton. As it has been said before, Canadians will cheer for whomever, and will cheer louder if they happen to be winning. Hockey needs to blow up again in NYR, BOS, CHI, LA and WASH. Those are 5 of the 6 largest markets in the US, Dallas being the other i believe. Philly Toronto and Detroit are the next level. The fact that Boston is the only team on that top list with any sort of recent success speaks volumes as to why hockey has taken such a nosedive in popularity.
The East Coast has always been well known for carrying a huge bias when covering their own teams. This is why Nomar and Jeter struck it rich so young, and got covered as two of the greatest of their generation. Jeter is the second highest player of all time, while being a 320 hitter on an allstar team. Value goes up when more people talk about you, and hear about you. Same thing can happen with Crosby, or any other great young prospect.
It has been said that hockeys biggest folly was having its 2 dynastys coming from edmonton and the island. Had those teams come from Chicago and Boston, i doubt anyone would be arguing about the NHLs stand with the american public.

Old
12-31-2004, 02:02 AM
bleedgreen

wow. the way everyone talks about this kid - i pray he lives up to this ridiculous amount of hype. we are all here talking about which franchise this kid is going to turn around. this is worse than daigle or lindros expectations. people have to remember he is still just a kid.

Old
12-31-2004, 02:02 AM
Nimrods Son

hockeys biggest folly was having its 2 dynastys coming from edmonton and the island

uh........Montreal anyone?

Old
12-31-2004, 02:03 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
What?

Their fanbase is big when they make it to the playoffs. Otherwise, thats a pretty cruel joke. I will never respect a team that is seamlessly tied to a marketing campaign from a major motion picture released by Disney. I can only hope and pray to god that they don't make connections between Crosby and the character Charlie Conway from the movie.

As for Columbus, it's the best city in Ohio. They have their own niche as a hockey city despite being dominated by Buckeye Football. All they need is an over-the-top prospect to really put them on the map. They have one of the best arenas in all of pro sports and within a few years they will be contenders. I can see Crosby as a Jacket and I can see him being the cornerstone of the franchise much like Nash has become. That "maybe" should be more of a Yes if you ask me.

I think it's left to be said that Crosby would be best suited in a large media hub. Boston, New York, LA come to mind. Gretzky led the US media hype once he made it into LA
Anaheim is a very good fanbase. It includes alot of the SoCal area. It just needs something to jump-start it, like Crosby. Way back in 97, when the Ducks were good, they had good turnouts. Then they fired Wilson, and everything went downhill from there.

Old
12-31-2004, 02:04 AM
Nimrods Son

Kind of sad when you need a great prospect to save your team every five or six years

Old
12-31-2004, 03:17 AM
Evman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Anaheim is a very good fanbase. It includes alot of the SoCal area. It just needs something to jump-start it, like Crosby. Way back in 97, when the Ducks were good, they had good turnouts. Then they fired Wilson, and everything went downhill from there.
Jesus, don't kid yourself.

Anaheim made the finals a year and a half ago. Their fanbase is terrible.

Old
12-31-2004, 09:53 AM
Billy Ocean

Toronto

Old
12-31-2004, 10:36 AM
All-Star

All the regular American markets have plenty of stars, and it does absolutely nothing for the good of the NHL. Everyone in those areas knows hockey to a certain extent, and they either like it or dislike it plain and simple.

Crosby needs to go to an expansion team like Atlanta to help them win more often.

Most people in those areas don't know much about hockey, but they like sports. A winning (non-clutch & grab) team with some flashy players, and a proper marketing campaign could potentially grab the attention of those sports fans, and convert them. You want to attract people? Show them a winning product that's fun to watch. Everyone loves a winner. We as hockey fans tend to get excited when we hear names like Crosby, Nash, Zherdev, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Gaborik..., but in reality, until their teams start winning consistently year after year (fluke playoff runs don't count), and word-of-mouth spreads, they'll never even be on the radar of the "sports but non-hockey" fan.

You want a piece of the lucrative TV pie? Make the league popular in every major centre. The major networks will then be begging you to air games.

Old
12-31-2004, 12:50 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Washington: I would love to see Crosby play with Ovechkin and Semin, they would dominate the league. It would be great for hockey to have Crosby playing with Ovechkin, they would become the next dynamic duo and sell tickets where ever they play. They would be a biggest attraction then the Kovalchuk/Heatley duo because they would play in a market that actually had cared about hockey in the past. Those guys could bring back the fans in the stand and playing in the nation capital doesn't hurt if you want the game to be popular in the USA.

Old
12-31-2004, 01:16 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Well we aren't going back in time to '97 to magically put Crosby on their team are we?

The Ducks now have a horrible fanbase. Hence, Disney is trying to sell them and they are candidates to be the next team to be relocated.

Old
12-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrods Son
hockeys biggest folly was having its 2 dynastys coming from edmonton and the island

uh........Montreal anyone?
i was referring to the last 20 years of hockey, when television was of importance, not just print. As a side note, you just proved my point even more since mtl isnt exactly the largest market. Its better than the two, and it was obviously great for generations of fans, so i will not speak badly about it anymore.

Closed Thread