HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is Gilroy a Disappointment?

View Poll Results: How has Gilroy perform so far?
Much better than I expected 4 2.26%
A little better than I expected 17 9.60%
Exactly as I expected 80 45.20%
A little worse than I expected 61 34.46%
A lot worse than I expected 15 8.47%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What hype?
Closing line, post #7 of this very thread.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
The only thing about Gilroy that I'm disappointed about is his lack of offense. The guy showed was brilliant offensively during pre-season then when the regular season started, he stopped it. It's like he was only doing it to make the team. Shame.
That's my disappointment as well.

I don't really care what awards he received in college. Nor do I care about the fact that he's 25. What's disappointing to me is that his game has completely changed from preseason to regular season. From watching him in the preseason, i knew he wasn't going to be very physical, but he seemed like he could bring a different dimension to our D. He showed the ability to rush the puck up ice, while still being quick enough to get back on D. We haven't seen much of that during the year...and with our lack of 5 on 5 scoring, we could use a rushing defensemen.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Closing line, post #7 of this very thread.
One person is hype?

01-03-2010, 10:29 AM
dedalus

Quote:
One person is hype?
He's not the only one. I just scanned the first couple pages of the "Gilmore Signed" thread from last spring. Dr. Ogrodnick hyped the kid. There was probably more but I'm not really interested in rooting through a 17-page thread. I'm certainly not interested in sifting through the threads since April to find more.

If you can't recall some of the commentary offered on the kid, I can't help you more than I have, Singn'. However, I think you know me well enough to know I'm not inclined to make stuff up.

Old
01-03-2010, 10:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
He's not the only one. I just scanned the first couple pages of the "Gilmore Signed" thread from last spring. Dr. Ogrodnick hyped the kid. There was probably more but I'm not really interested in rooting through a 17-page thread. I'm certainly not interested in sifting through the threads since April to find more.

If you can't recall some of the commentary offered on the kid, I can't help you more than I have, Singn'. However, I think you know me well enough to know I'm not inclined to make stuff up.
I was talking more about hype from people beyond this board.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
dedalus

Quote:
I was talking more about hype from people beyond this board.
Fair question and one I couldn't answer. I believe the poster was talking about the board though, and I think most people on HF get their assessments from people on HF.

Old
01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Scooter17

Better defensively than I expected, but not as good offensively as I expected.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:26 AM
HockeyBurd*

I thought he'd be in the minors. He has been acceptable at this level. So I can't very well call him a disappointment.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
His cap hit is just $1.75 million though, isn't it?
I know we have much bigger problems with cap hits, but Gilroy's $1.75 is hardly worth it at this point, especially when Sanguinetti or Heikkenen is just as effective at a lesser price.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:39 AM
94now

He is a good signing. The problem is the team defense is constructed the way that Gilroy has no room on this team. The Semenov could certainly help Gilroy by being that stay-at-home D we still have a hole at. Gilrioy is forced to play stay-at-home, therefore, which is not his strongest aspect. Thus, his offese is shut down by design.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
RangerFan10

From day 1 I continued to say he should at least start the year in Hartford and I stand by it. He's concerned with making mistakes in his own end and it's made for a lack of production in his offense. I think there's a lot he could learn in the AHL.

That being said, he's made the transition as well as he could've from the NCAA to the NHL, and he earned his roster spot at the beginning of the year. But now I think he should spend a significant amount of time in Hartford, lets showcase Sanguinetti if he's truly the most expendable defensive prospect(I'd much rather trade Gilroy than Sangs, even if he has less value)

Old
01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Compare the expectations.
No one had any expectations with Girardi...we had with Gilroy, I understand that. But when you get paid the way Gilroy is, there is going to have to be certain expectations. He should be able to fill the 3rd pairing spot on a consistent basis, and I think in terms of offense he should be able to put up 10 goals. I don't think just because we have expectations of him and he is a rookie it's all of a sudden unfair. He is a professional, he is not a 19 year old, he should be held to some degree of accountability.

Who knows what the expectations of him are outside of the HF boards, its pretty obvious the opinions here do not reflect the majority of opinions in the real world outside of this board. But the fact is he got sent down to Hartford, so we can infer that that he failed to meet the expectations of the coaching staff that they had when they chose to keep in on the team after pre-season.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:05 PM
SML

IMO, you can't view his contract as the measure for his success or failure. He was signed to his deal because he was viewed as a "ready to play" UFA and other teams wanted his services as well. That's the reason he makes what he makes, because he had no strings attached and could go to the highest bidder. It's happening all over. Look at Gustavsson in Toronto and Brunnstrom in Dallas. Are either of those guys really making their deals look that great? I think the worst thing that has happened to Gilroy has been DelZotto. He's playing the role that was all but Gilroy's prior to the start of this season. Gilroy hasn't played well enough to pass him, he's not good enough defensively to get the top minutes Staal and Girardi are getting, and he doesn't have the clout to move past Redden or Rosy without management admitting they are the two worst players we have. He's stuck.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

If you were looking at Leetch as a barometer of his play, of course you were going to be disappointed. He's doing pretty well considering he's a rookie. Being 25 doesn't mean you'll have a significantly easier time adjusting to the NHL.

People need to exercise patience. The expectations for our prospects is getting out of control. Too many people saw the Frozen Four final, and a couple preseason games and were ready to declare Gilroy the second coming of Brian Leetch. The same can be said about Grachev's rookie year in the OHL, and Stepan and Kreider's performances at the WJC's.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

who the hell compared him to leetch?

He's a rookie. Leetch had a miserable sophomore season. I think Gilroy has learned a lot this season and should be in the top 6 next season

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:53 PM
John Torturella

Quote:

Compare Gilroy's rookie year to Girardi's.
Well when you consider that Gilroy is already as good as Girardi that means nothing.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Well when you consider that Gilroy is already as good as Girardi that means nothing.
Gilroy is not already as good as Girardi.

Old
01-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I had slightly higher expectations from him, but not much. Understand that the system he's asked to play in, is ultimately going to expose his lack of experience. Had Gilroy played on last season's team, I think he would have looked a little better.

Next year, we'll see what Gilroy is all about.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
He's been better defensively than I expected and worse offensively than I expected. However, If the Rangers had more than 1 forward who could finish, I wonder what Gilroy's assist totals would look like?

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
FLYLine24*

Better defensively, worse offensively. So its a wash.

He's still got the offensive talent which we should see come out as he gets more used to the NHL level and more confident.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think he's been very good for a rookie. Kid played college puck last year. He has to get stronger and learn to think quicker... just like every other kid entering the NHL

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Gilroy is not already as good as Girardi.
A strong argument can be made. Girardi has no offensive
game. Gilroy does. Neither are physical. Both are lax with defensive coverage.
Gilroy leads the rush at times and has better passing ability.

Gilroy is as good as Girardi if not close to him defensively.
Watch Girardi closely. He makes a ton more bad plays and decisions than you would think

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Better defensively, worse offensively. So its a wash.

He's still got the offensive talent which we should see come out as he gets more used to the NHL level and more confident.
This sums up my feelings on Gilroy.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:39 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
He is a good signing. The problem is the team defense is constructed the way that Gilroy has no room on this team. The Semenov could certainly help Gilroy by being that stay-at-home D we still have a hole at. Gilrioy is forced to play stay-at-home, therefore, which is not his strongest aspect. Thus, his offese is shut down by design.
I agree with you 100%

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
For a guy some compared to Brian Leetch during the summer...
That's why he would be a "disappointment" in the minds of some.

You simply do not casually compare individuals yet to set skateblade on NHL ice with Hall of Famers.

Likewise, said player is just half-way through his first NHL season. Yes, he is older. But his NHL experience is infintesimal. That is to say, the sample size barely is negligible.

Some really need to temper expectations.

....And the next time someone compares a newbie to a great, summertime or otherwise, call the fool on his silly claim.

Just my opinion.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote