HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mets willing and able to Host Winter Classic

Old
01-03-2010, 02:26 PM
morffin

vCash: 500
Why does it have to be in a stadium? How about a game in Central Park or Times Square? Erect temporary bleachers...it would be an amazing spectacle.

How about a rink in front of the Lincoln Memorial?

It's a made for tv event anyways.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
Why does it have to be in a stadium? How about a game in Central Park or Times Square? Erect temporary bleachers...it would be an amazing spectacle.

How about a rink in front of the Lincoln Memorial?

It's a made for tv event anyways.
You can't fit thousands of people in central park or times square for a game like that.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:41 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
You can't fit thousands of people in central park or times square for a game like that.
erect temp stands .... its a tv event anyways ...dont need 40k people there.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

Really it would just be a seating issue, but Central Park has been the host to a number of massive gatherings. They've hosted speed skating, curling and hockey in Central Park before, just nothing on the scale of a WC.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:01 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Where would the players change at?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
turcotte8

How would people see the game? Everyone would be sitting at ice level. At a concert everyone is lower than the stage and can look up.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:10 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Where would the players change at?
Out in the open. It's apart of the NHL's marketing plan to attract more women.

You're right though there would be logistical challenges to a Central Park game. Concessions and bathrooms on top of erecting enough stands would present a major project. I don't think we'll actually see a Winter Classic in Central Park, I was just pointing out that Central Park routinely hosts events that attract an equal or greater amount of people. It would be very cool though and I'd be more inclined to go to Central Park than a baseball stadium. The Russian's did a wonderful job in the Red Square for their All-Star game.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Here's an idea, and i'm not sure if it has been mentioned:

They are finishing up a brand spanking new soccer arena/stadium (it's out door) in Harrison, NJ, which will be the new home of Red Bull New York.

It would be PERFECT for an out door hockey game.

Seats 25,189.

The sight lines are already laid out perfectly.

http://www.redbullarena.us/

Interior live webcam:

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/redbullarena/?cam=2

Exterior live webcam:

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/redbullarena/?cam=1

Virtual seating:

http://www.seats3d.com/mls/new_york_red_bulls/

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Here's an idea, and i'm not sure if it has been mentioned:

They are finishing up a brand spanking new soccer arena/stadium (it's out door) in Harrison, NJ, which will be the new home of Red Bull New York.

It would be PERFECT for an out door hockey game.

Seats 25,189.

The sight lines are already laid out perfectly.

http://www.redbullarena.us/
Nice looking place, but it only holds 25,000 people. Plus the NHL would probably prefer a "sexier" location.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
owedoyle

Complete pipe dream, but imagine if for the rangers the game was played at the Yale Bowl.

Remember, the New York Giants played there for two full seasons in the late 70s when Yankee stadium kicked them out. Wouldn't be completely unreasonable for fans to make the trek.

Also, it keeps the mystique of the venues chosen. Without thinking too heavily about Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo, both Wrigley and Fenway are two of sports' most renowned stadiums. Each of them are intertwined with the fabric of American sports. The ante has been upped. Having a game at CitiField lessens some of the aura of the Winter Classic if it is played at a field that has relatively no significance to the American sports landscape that the Winter Classic is trying to edge itself back into.
The Yale Bowl is the first modern American stadium, and is not used in the winter.
Not too mention, you'd be rewarding the state of CT for having some of the highest Winter Classic Neilson Ratings.

Yeah, I know it's a bit absurd, but on some levels it does work.

owedoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
li7039

citi would be fine. all the obstructions were for the out field corners. You can see the in field fine from everywhere. Hockey would be non obstructed unless your on the field level down low, or in center field. The left field seats on the field level would probably be fine too since there about 25 ft above the ground

li7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Nice looking place, but it only holds 25,000 people. Plus the NHL would probably prefer a "sexier" location.
The 'sexy' location comment is true.

But i was thinking how practical the new soccer stadium would be for this event.

Even the oversized over-hangs would help repel weather and trap some heat to keep fans warm.

While still being out-door, and an intimate environment due to it's size.

Old
01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Old
01-03-2010, 03:43 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Out in the open. It's apart of the NHL's marketing plan to attract more women.

You're right though there would be logistical challenges to a Central Park game. Concessions and bathrooms on top of erecting enough stands would present a major project. I don't think we'll actually see a Winter Classic in Central Park, I was just pointing out that Central Park routinely hosts events that attract an equal or greater amount of people. It would be very cool though and I'd be more inclined to go to Central Park than a baseball stadium. The Russian's did a wonderful job in the Red Square for their All-Star game.

never seen that before..makes me want to have the game in a non stadium setting even more.

TS is a pipe dream ...you cant tie up a chunk of midtown for the days it takes to set the ice up ...but Central Park is ideal ...as for the logistics of dressing rooms and such ... that would be easy to construct temp structures.

I have never skated at Wollman rink ... is the ice good enough to play an NHL game there?...it has to be better than the horrible ice at MSG.

I like the set up at Red Sq ....One thing that has been missing from the WC is the fans being close to the ice...temp bleachers set up at a Central Park rink would fix that.

As for the sight lines .... this is an event ...most people would go just to be there... many of the fans in Wrigley and Fenway had crappy views of the game...they didnt seem to care.

Old
01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Crease

Wollman is an egg-shaped rink, not regulation-size. The Mets ownership were smart to throw their name in the hat because it's starting to look like CitiField or bust for a WC in NYC. I'm starting to think the only way the Rangers participate is as the visiting team.

Old
01-03-2010, 04:09 PM
morffin

Quote:
Wollman is an egg-shaped rink, not regulation-size. The Mets ownership were smart to throw their name in the hat because it's starting to look like CitiField or bust for a WC in NYC. I'm starting to think the only way the Rangers participate is as the visiting team.
I know Wollman isnt a regular hockey rink...they can put up boards and glass.

Leave it to the NHL to not be able to get a WC in NYC.

Old
01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
I know Wollman isnt a regular hockey rink...they can put up boards and glass.

Leave it to the NHL to not be able to get a WC in NYC.
Should have had this year.

Old
01-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Crease

Quote:
Should have had this year.
Why? It was a success at Fenway.

Old
01-03-2010, 04:20 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Why? It was a success at Fenway.
1. Cause Fenway will always be an option
2. The NHL or Bettman had to have known the Yankees would be looking to have other events at their new park. Yankees said this. Should have struck while the iron was hot.
3. It was suppose to be at YS (old one) last year. Most people assumed if it didn't get done for the 09 WC. 2010 would be the year. edit I don't how many articles i read about it. There was even a leak that it was definantly YS/Rangers for 2010.

Old
01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Eh Islanders would be in the game not the Rangers. CitiField/Queens/Long Island is Islander territory.
LOL? That doesn't make any sense. Geographically maybe a little, but even there.

The Rangers are New York Cities team, and when you say NYC it includes the 5 boros. Manhattan,Queens,SI,Brooklyn,Bronx.

The Islanders are Nassua and points east, so technically in a hockey state of mind/geography Queens is not Islanders territory , not even close.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Crease

Quote:
1. Cause Fenway will always be an option
2. The NHL or Bettman had to have known the Yankees would be looking to have other events at their new park. Yankees said this. Should have struck while the iron was hot.
3. It was suppose to be at YS (old one) last year. Most people assumed if it didn't get done for the 09 WC. 2010 would be the year.
The Yankees did not announce their plans for a Bowl game until well after the NHL made plans for the 2010 WC.

Old Yankee Stadium was one of two finalists for the 2009 WC. The NHL were in deep talks with the Yankees and NYC about hosting it there but apparently there were logistics concerns because the stadium was to be taken apart soon after the baseball season ended.

We don't even know if the NHL preferred Wrigley over Yankee Stadium. I'd have to imagine not. For all we know, the Yankees could have balked at the idea of a hockey game being the last ever sporting event at the Stadium.

Old
01-03-2010, 04:36 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

What happened was the piping in the old stadium was an issue. and it couldn't be held there. Wrigley was a last minute option.

Old
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
They asked Bettman about Central Park on the pre-game friday and he said it was too expensive to build the bleachers.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
They asked Bettman about Central Park on the pre-game friday and he said it was too expensive to build the bleachers.
What about the army of port-o-potties they would need? The cost of security/concession stands/transportation for the public?

I can't believe that was even an idea that someone pitched.... Why would they ever trade being able to seat 40-50K in a stadium vs. erecting temporary bleachers and having the game in the park? What would they fit, like 10K tops???

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
kennglin13

those overhead shots wouldn't look as pretty if the game was at Citi Field

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote