HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The end of Canada's dominance?

Old
01-02-2010, 11:20 PM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Truculence View Post
They don't play in Junior B and Junior C. Most of the good junior players play AAA and then get swept into Junior A and Major Junior Clubs.
What the hell is junior C?

Alot of good players that are too young to make the jump to Junior A or the Dub here in BC play junior B. For a long time, the majority of BC didn't even have a major midget league, top players from midget/bantam would use junior B as a stepping stone to higher junior leagues.

Quite simply, every league has a purpose in Canada, and they all fuel into each other. And like another poster has said, they help keep other leagues higher than them more competitive. The Canadian hockey system is a ladder, each level just as important as any of the other ones to get to the top.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I just hope you know hockey in canada is more then major jr and the international stage.Yes youth hockey is decresing yet youth soccer is increasing i bet you would not say canada would be a power house in soccer some day.Aslo with canada as i said its more then major jr and the international stage there is many jr a teams and leagues the same can be said about jr b and c etc.
If hockey is decreasing in Canada like you say, why is that?

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Haven't heard this one before. I know the USHL is considered Tier I but guys keep their NCAA eligibility, obviously. I'd say the USHL already rivals the CHL with regard to talent in some ways but it attracts a different kind of player. I can't see an upstart Major Junior league in the States rivaling anything in the CHL. Those leagues are so entrenched and established and their decades-long track records speak for themselves. I just don't see how any other league could come in and be successful with the USHL already being in place, but I've been wrong once or twice before in my life.
I'd say that the USHL is more like a combo of the BCHL which is the best junior A league in Canada and the QMJHL the weakest major junior league in Canada.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:43 AM
leaflover
Stanley Cup 2022

Anything that improves hockey talent anywhere in the world is a good thing.
Also a professional Europe wide league which rivals the NHL in talent and prestige is long overdue.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Anything that improves hockey talent anywhere in the world is a good thing.
Also a professional Europe wide league which rivals the NHL in talent and prestige is long overdue.
When I see posts like this I think to my self that Canadians love for hockey is as genuine as can be.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
article stolen from another thread:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,211448
Sweden isn't even mentioned in the article. Should we take it we're irrelevant?

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:47 AM
wjhl2009fan

Blue Liner
I am not sure if the ushl rivals the chl i would say it rivals the best canadian tier 2 leagues.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:53 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
If hockey is decreasing in Canada like you say, why is that?
There are a few reasons cost some family just can not afford hockey be it the team and league fees to equipment to everythign else.The other issue is the time playing hockey competitve takes up from bantam up kids are on the ice some times 4 days a week sometime 5 or 6 at times.Kids have little time for everything else and this aslo has a impact i beleave on a bit of a decrease.Even if you look at soccer in canada 10 years ago you would not see the amount of high level youth soccer teams you see today more and more kids are taking up soccer i think a good number of those leave hockey and go to soccer.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
yabba dabba doo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenade View Post
lol silver stick... i played in silver stick tournaments. this is not a reliable source.

I coach a minor bantam team, we had tournaments in chicago and rochester and walked all over the american teams. they were a year older because theres no minor in the US, as well as we were playing a level up. You cant base **** off youth minor hockey.
I was referring to minor tournaments as an indication of the growth of minor hockey and the competitiveness of youth hockey in the states.

The fact is 25 years ago American teams routinely were beaten by Canadian teams. That is not the case today.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Scouter

Quote:
There are a few reasons cost some family just can not afford hockey be it the team and league fees to equipment to everythign else.The other issue is the time playing hockey competitve takes up from bantam up kids are on the ice some times 4 days a week sometime 5 or 6 at times.Kids have little time for everything else and this aslo has a impact i beleave on a bit of a decrease.Even if you look at soccer in canada 10 years ago you would not see the amount of high level youth soccer teams you see today more and more kids are taking up soccer i think a good number of those leave hockey and go to soccer.
Ok, but the fact is that the development gulf between hockey and soccer is so massive it's really kind of pointless for us to try and become a soccer nation, like most of the money goes to hockey, barely any for soccer, hockey will always come 1st in Canada.

Last edited by Scouter: 01-03-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Blue Liner
I am not sure if the ushl rivals the chl i would say it rivals the best canadian tier 2 leagues.
That's why I didn't flat out say it rivals them, straight up. I said it does "in some ways", which I could've better put by saying I think USHL teams would be competitive against CHL teams but the CHL would win more times than not. Just judging by draft picks alone you could see the CHL is the best junior hockey there is. USHL has a few draft picks each year but more of those guys are there to go on to NCAA D-I programs where you see them get drafted a little bit later. The leagues serve different purposes and CHL will always be the largest direct feeder of NHL prospects.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote