HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan Or Dubinsky

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Trade Callahan and keep Dubinsky 44 44.90%
Trade Dubinsky and keep Callahan 54 55.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2010, 02:22 PM
  #26
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,050
vCash: 500
Keep Dubinsky. This team's center depth would be awful without him for now and the immediate future.

Dubinsky is the more skilled player, it's just a matter of finding some consistency. Additionally, I've always thought as Dubinsky as a playmaker rather than a goalscorer, but his play as of late on the wing and going to the dirty areas in the crease makes me think he is capable of scoring more goals. Dubi has scored 2 less goals than Cally, but has played in 13 less games than him.

As for choosing Cally because he was selected to be on the Olympic team while Dubinsky was not, that is just an awful argument. By the same logic, Petr Cajanek would be considered a better player than Prospal or Hejduk, because he was selected to the Czech Olympic team while they were left off.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:09 PM
  #27
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
With all the talk about the possibility of trading for Kovalchuk, I was wondering how my fellow Ranger fans feel about this. If Atlanta gave us the choice of keeping one and trading the other, who would you keep? and who would you trade?

If its up to me, I keep Dubinsky. I still see him as a very possible legit 2nd line center and Callahan I feel is a glorified 3rd liner maybe fringe 2nd liner.
I agree here, Callahan is more of a very good third line checker. Plus you don't want to give up centers.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
  #28
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
Dubinsky would fetch more in a trade.

I'd keep Callahan.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
  #29
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Keep Dubinsky. This team's center depth would be awful without him for now and the immediate future.

Dubinsky is the more skilled player, it's just a matter of finding some consistency. Additionally, I've always thought as Dubinsky as a playmaker rather than a goalscorer, but his play as of late on the wing and going to the dirty areas in the crease makes me think he is capable of scoring more goals. Dubi has scored 2 less goals than Cally, but has played in 13 less games than him.

As for choosing Cally because he was selected to be on the Olympic team while Dubinsky was not, that is just an awful argument. By the same logic, Petr Cajanek would be considered a better player than Prospal or Hejduk, because he was selected to the Czech Olympic team while they were left off.
Agreed 100%

You can watch one shift by Dubinsky and Callahan and you can just tell Dubinsky is the more skilled player....especially when it comes to puck handling and vision.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
  #30
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,020
vCash: 500
Trade Dubinsky. ***** held out for more money and now can't back it up on the ice.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
  #31
MPJohnny5
Registered User
 
MPJohnny5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Would you hold out if Sather was haggling you when you have guys like Drury, Redden and Kotalik being overpaid out the ears. Dubi is backing his money up pretty damn good if you ask me compared to those guys

MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:23 PM
  #32
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed 100%

You can watch one shift by Dubinsky and Callahan and you can just tell Dubinsky is the more skilled player....especially when it comes to puck handling and vision.
And when you watch the same shift, you'll probably also realize that despite him being more skilled, he's simply not as smart a player. He'll never be as effective in his role as Callahan is in his.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
  #33
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Trade Dubinsky. ***** held out for more money and now can't back it up on the ice.
What games are you watching?

Dubi has 8 points in 10 games since returning from his injury. Aside from that Philly game in which everyone played awful, he's been great.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:31 PM
  #34
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,165
vCash: 500
i would trade either depending on what Atlanta would want. neither are untouchable for a guy like Kovalchuk.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
  #35
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Trade Dubinsky. ***** held out for more money and now can't back it up on the ice.
Not that you're not entitled to your own opinion but he's producing at a .65 ppg pace, which is third on the team, and has a +8 while the greater defensive forwards Drury (-8) and Callahan (-11) are minuses. He also takes the second most face-offs per game (15) and wins upwards of 50% largely as the 1st line center he's not supposed to be. He also trails Callahan in PK time by ~50 seconds per game playing over 2 minutes a game while skating more even strength minutes than anyone not named Marian or Vinny.

That's not to put Callahan down at all, just to clarify what you're getting for $1.85 from Dubinsky and $2.3 from Callahan.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
  #36
McMonster
Registered User
 
McMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,387
vCash: 500
I can't stand Dubinsky... his cockiness is disgusting. He thinks he's the next coming of Wayne Gretzky.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
  #37
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,054
vCash: 500
I'd have to say keep Dubi, though its a hard decision. He's probably the best player on this team at keeping the puck and at working down behind the net, two essential skills that nobody else here seems to have. Cally has heart and physicality to his credit, but he takes some inexplicably terrible shots pretty frequently. To me, Dubi is more of a points player and Cally is more of a morale kind of guy. Getting rid of Cally would be rough on the team though as I'm pretty sure that Torts and the rest of the roster are all very big fans of his play and personality. It could take away whatever tiny sliver of team spirit or identity that this group has. Personally, I don't see why Atlanta would be insistent on either of them, neither make or break a team and neither have been consistently big scorers during their careers, they're not going to even come close to replacing kovy. I don't think that Atlanta wants anything that we have honestly, but thats just me.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
  #38
Sayba
Registered User
 
Sayba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Dubinksy can do everything Callahan can do pretty much w/o exception. Can you say the same of Callahan? No... I think everyone likes Callahan here but if you look at the talent of the two players Dubinksy has the edge.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
  #39
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Voted Callahan, should have voted to keep Dubinsky.

The offensive difference between these two players is pretty large, Dubinsky IS imo a second liner with higher upside. Callahan is more mature and a better leader, but Dubinsky is even younger than Callahan by a year. Definitely keep Dubinsky.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
  #40
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And when you watch the same shift, you'll probably also realize that despite him being more skilled, he's simply not as smart a player. He'll never be as effective in his role as Callahan is in his.
Well, quite honestly, its easier to be considered a "smarter player" when you're a 3rd liner whose role is to play with energy and chip in a goal here and there.

Dubinsky has a little bit more responsibility and expectations because.....wait for it....hes the better player, and the gap is widening between the 2 as time goes on.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
  #41
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,967
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserShot28 View Post
I can't stand Dubinsky... his cockiness is disgusting. He thinks he's the next coming of Wayne Gretzky.
Did he tell you that? Or are you just making baseless assumptions?

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
  #42
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,967
vCash: 50
Awards:
I'd prefer moving Callahan over Dubinsky if it came down to it. I love Callahan, I really do, but I think Dubinsky is more valuable as a player. That we're perilously thin at center prospects--Stepan, possibly Werek, and that's it--factors into my decision as well.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
  #43
we want cup
Ants in the Pants
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 11,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserShot28 View Post
I can't stand Dubinsky... his cockiness is disgusting. He thinks he's the next coming of Wayne Gretzky.
I don't see this at all.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
  #44
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well, quite honestly, its easier to be considered a "smarter player" when you're a 3rd liner whose role is to play with energy and chip in a goal here and there.

Dubinsky has a little bit more responsibility and expectations because.....wait for it....hes the better player, and the gap is widening between the 2 as time goes on.
It's easier to be considered a smarter player when, on a nightly basis, you demonstrate the ability to understand the game at a higher level than the other guy, which Callahan does.

If anything, the gap is closing. I'm a fan of both players, but Dubinsky isn't doing anything to show that he's got another level. It's disappointing, but it's the case, despite his little point streak that he's on.

Factor in that Dubinsky will have more value in a trade because of his reputation and, personally, the decision is easy to me. I'd rather hold on to the great third liner than the average second liner, especially when the average second liner will bring back a bigger return.

Callahan is already one of the NHL's best in his role. Dubinsky, you're not even sure what you get out of him on a game-by-game basis. Sometimes he looks like a legit top 6 forward, and other nights he looks like he belongs on the third line. There's only so long that this pattern can continue before you start to wonder what's going to happen with the guy.

I'd rather hold on to both, but I understand that Dubinsky is one of the few pieces on this team that could have any major value. To get something good, he's probably going to have to go.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
  #45
DM23BK30
HFB Partner
 
DM23BK30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,532
vCash: 500
pick em. i took dubi over cally because of offense up the middle. I hope they both stick around.

Both are tremendously valuable to this franchise right now. If AA and Stepan develop into what we think , then maybe Dubi can be expendable.

But for now we need offense up the middle and Dubi is the only one who can provide it.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
  #46
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Did he tell you that? Or are you just making baseless assumptions?
A buddy of mine is friends with Gilroy's cousin, gets to hear about some things about the Rangers lockerroom, and he told me Dubinsky is pretty cocky. Whether or not it's a bad cocky or just more on the lines of being very confident has yet to be seen, but I don't think it's any secret he's got a big ego.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:23 PM
  #47
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
A buddy of mine is friends with Gilroy's cousin, gets to hear about some things about the Rangers lockerroom, and he told me Dubinsky is pretty cocky. Whether or not it's a bad cocky or just more on the lines of being very confident has yet to be seen, but I don't think it's any secret he's got a big ego.
Im thoroughly intrigued now. Although it has to be said that most hockey players who make it to the NHL were the big shots on their respective Junior, NCAA, or euro teams, and therefore have some sort of ego no matter what.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:18 AM
  #48
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 39,834
vCash: 500
If I had to choose 1 I would lean towards keeping Dubinsky and this is mainly because we are not as deep at C as we are on wings. Dubi has higher upside too.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
  #49
BOXPLAY
Registered User
 
BOXPLAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
No brainer Callahan is a keeper

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:42 AM
  #50
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,967
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
A buddy of mine is friends with Gilroy's cousin, gets to hear about some things about the Rangers lockerroom, and he told me Dubinsky is pretty cocky. Whether or not it's a bad cocky or just more on the lines of being very confident has yet to be seen, but I don't think it's any secret he's got a big ego.
The reports of Dubinsky having a bit of an ego are nothing new. But being kinda cocky is a far cry from "thinking he's the next Gretzky", at least in my opinion...

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.