HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Any Number you shouldn't be?

Old
01-01-2010, 12:43 PM
the_speedster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Hi Speedster

Thanks for dropping by, taking time out from your busy schedule to treat us to your words of wisdom.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2010. I hope you win that Nobel Peace Prize this year. You deserve it...I thought you should have been given a little more consideration last year...
What can I say, I've still got much love for my mentally challenged brothers

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I wore 4. I was living near Orlando when Lecavalier was drafted and my number choice drew an assumption of why I was wearing it.
Never mind that it was actually because of Solar Bear defenseman Pat Neaton. I had wanted to be a defenseman, (never got the backwards skating quite down) but the number actually held me back with coaches, who couldn't break their mental association with Lecavalier. I was assumed to be a Lecavalier like player, and sometimes got covered by the other team like one, which was unfair.

Once I realized this, I was able to use it to my advantage.
Lecavalier wore #8 when he broke in.

In any case, most of this thread cracks me up. Maybe it's from growing up playing other sports in addition to hockey, but I've never seen anyone in another sport go out there and say, "He's wearing the distinctive number of a great player! I must go defend that player's honor by taking a shot at this pseudo-great!"

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Lososaurus

Lots of love for Lemeiux and Gretzky, but none for Orr? For shame.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
he wore 4 which is a pretty general number. those others are pretty particular. alot of people relate 4 to someone else

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Bookmark = You seperate the O from the D ie you dont play, basically a duster ie you collect dust on the bench from not playing.
aware what it is, it's just not heard much.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
the only thing worse than guys wearing famous numbers (99,66 etc)...

are the ********** who waste minutes of their lives worrying about the guy/girl wearing said number

seriously.. there's hunger, disease, crime and yet the biggest worry that some of us have is a guy wearing a famous number? really? we want that much control over someone's life?

oy vey
How many guys on the bench are worrying about Sudan between shifts?

Old
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
mememe000

When people wear 99 it drives me nuts. Anything else is fine. Doesn't matter what sport.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:29 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Bender
Someone who can't skate well. Refers to someone that bends their ankles when they skate. source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ey_terminology

Bender: A bender is a player with poor skating ability. A bender typically skates with his ankles at a bent angle. source:http://www.helium.com/items/964048-a...ey-terminology

You sound ridiculous when you chirp something that doesn't even make sense. I.E. calling someone a bender for wearing a certain number.
Bender is a robot.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:20 PM
jsykes

I was thinking about this thread today and realized I dont really equate numbers to anyone in particular unless they are on the actual jersey of the team they played for, except 99 to a degree I guess.

But for instance, I'd never think twice of someone wearing 8 (even with yellow laces) unless its on a Caps jersey. Likewise, 87 on anything other than a Penguins jersey means nothing to me.

I play in an adult league that most teams use pro jerseys due to ease of getting them. I dont think anything of 66 on our Team USA, but think its silly on the Penguins team. They actually have a 66, 68 and 87. No one on the Caps team uses 8 though.

But I guess its just a way of thinking. Unless its on the appropriate jersey, I dont really equate the numbers. Only one I hate, on any team, is 69 cause its just such a juvenile thing to do.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
I think "hate" is to strong a word. The only thing i can say i "hate" is when guys flop.

In my league chirping is a big part of the game and wearing certain numbers, tinted visors, coloured laces etc etc just give guys ammo to chirp ya.

Thats all it really comes down to for me .

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:15 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
I think "hate" is to strong a word. The only thing i can say i "hate" is when guys flop.

In my league chirping is a big part of the game and wearing certain numbers, tinted visors, coloured laces etc etc just give guys ammo to chirp ya.Thats all it really comes down to for me .
and isnt that really the point from the op, "what #'s am I going to catch hell for?" the rest of the debate is stupid. Im gonna chirp you for any flaw I can find even in beer league. Why, because I want you thinking about me and not the game. I couldnt tell you how many guys have missed opportunities because they are paying attention to me. I even had a guy get mad at me for telling his tendy "good save" got a good crosscheck in the head for that one. he got a game for intent to injure. goalie was laughing because we knew each other. hello 5 min pp. the funniest thing is Im busting balls and laughing and guys still get mad. its supposed to be fun boys, our best days are behind us lighten up.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Embarrassing myself? Hardly. If the best one can come up with is bender and use it for everything and anything, they are embarrassing themselves. How about a little creativity with your chirps.

BTW I volunteer with a NAHL team and have never heard any of them use the term "bender".
how about "ankle bender" that's what it was called when i played competetive.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
growing up in mites/squirts whatever, most teams only have numbers 1-13 or whatever, so 9, 4, even 8 are going to be used.later when we have the coice and a guy goes out of his way to choose a crazy number like 67 or to copy gretzky with 99....he better be real good, or he will be called "bender". or a sled.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
If you get 99 or 69, you are automatically a bender.

66, 87, or 8 will lead to 50% of the guys thinking your a bender.
I don't think 8 counts, as a lot of teams will have sweaters numbered 1-25 or something. It's not like someone very obviously went out of their way to get that numbmer like they would have with 87 or whatever.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I don't think 8 counts, as a lot of teams will have sweaters numbered 1-25 or something. It's not like someone very obviously went out of their way to get that numbmer like they would have with 87 or whatever.
uhh.....MANY people go out of there way to get that number (psst....OV).

hence, like i said, not everyone will think you are a bender compared to 99 or 69.

Old
01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I agree with a lot, but 99 and 66 are no doubt no-go's. I see a lot of people wear 87 and get crap because of Crosby, but I don't think it's a problem if you're wearing it because it's your birth year.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
I always thought 69 was pretty lame. Always worn by the team idiot who thinks it's funny and original.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
uhh.....MANY people go out of there way to get that number (psst....OV).

hence, like i said, not everyone will think you are a bender compared to 99 or 69.
sometimes I ask for it if it's available because it's part of my birthday. when I see #8 on a 40 year old I don't think he's an OVie fan-boy.

Old
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
sometimes I ask for it if it's available because it's part of my birthday. when I see #8 on a 40 year old I don't think he's an OVie fan-boy.

We are pretty much saying the same thing here

Old
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Lecavalier wore #8 when he broke in.

In any case, most of this thread cracks me up. Maybe it's from growing up playing other sports in addition to hockey, but I've never seen anyone in another sport go out there and say, "He's wearing the distinctive number of a great player! I must go defend that player's honor by taking a shot at this pseudo-great!"
True, I forgot about that. Still, at the time, the wide assumption at the time was that he'd get 4 right away. Vinny having to wear any other number was considered a surprise. The great Cory Cross had it at the time, and Cross' status, like his number, was subject to interpretation and management's whim.

The change to 8 did give me a brief reprieve (he only wore it 1 season), but the known intention, and especially the change itself to 4 was where I started getting problems.

That was like a thousand years ago anyway. What's one season?

I had left this out of the original post, but the guy I got 4 from had chosen it because of Bobby Orr, so by the transitive property, I was also wearing it because of Bobby.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
and isnt that really the point from the op, "what #'s am I going to catch hell for?" the rest of the debate is stupid. Im gonna chirp you for any flaw I can find even in beer league. Why, because I want you thinking about me and not the game. I couldnt tell you how many guys have missed opportunities because they are paying attention to me. I even had a guy get mad at me for telling his tendy "good save" got a good crosscheck in the head for that one. he got a game for intent to injure. goalie was laughing because we knew each other. hello 5 min pp. the funniest thing is Im busting balls and laughing and guys still get mad. its supposed to be fun boys, our best days are behind us lighten up.
Yeah well I think I got angry recently in a beer league game because some mutt dove for a penalty call. I didn't even touch him .... I yapped at him all the way to the box and even his team mates told him he was a tool for doing that.

Some guys take beer league like there are scouts in the damned seats. Those days are gone by folks as stated above here, no need to elbow people or slash guys in the ankles who have to work the next day.

I've taken the one game suspension for punching people who deserve it for being meatheads to other players. The last time was for a rout we were on the wrong side of and a guy scored a goal from the blueline with a simple wristshot (our goalie sucked AND was having a terrible night) and the guy was laughing and doing a goal dance and generally showing poor sportsmanship.

Actually 4 of us out there went after him but I was there first.

Some guys are just senseless classless morons.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
I always thought 69 was pretty lame. Always worn by the team idiot who thinks it's funny and original.
So you've played with "him" too?

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:09 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
There are tons of good choices outside of the obvious ones that'll get you chirped. I wear #12 for Staal and Iggy. I recommend picking a number based on what players you idol, or someone you compare your game to, or want to play like.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Rickety Cricket

If Gretzky and Lemieux wore numbers like 17 or 8, I don't think it would be as big of a deal, however they have unique numbers. As an example I don't think people give quarterbacks crap for wearing #16.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:10 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

HF68, the irony of your post is killer.

Was awesome

PS This not a bash or insult at HF68, i would/have done the same thing. Just pointing out the deadliness of the irony.

Last edited by NigelSPNKr: 01-04-2010 at 02:43 AM.