HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Theory on shooting handedness

Old
01-01-2010, 09:51 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Your link in the first part of your post is useless to me because I don't have access to the whole article since I'm not a subscribed customer. And the difficulties that are mentioned in the second part of your post are also experienced by people who weren't forced to switch handedness, and it's only anecdotal.
This is actually a pretty new thing to study, only because of advanced brain imaging, are some of the theories about handedness being tested out. We'll know a lot more in 10 years, but in any case, you can apply general principles from other things, it's called reasoning by analogy, not the best, but sometimes the only option for a solid thinking process.

I'm still going with my RH people who shoot left have better slappers theory though. As a righty who shoots LH, I've noticed more right side muscle wear out from practicing slapshots all day than left side, it makes sense if you try it yourself.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:13 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
This is actually a pretty new thing to study, only because of advanced brain imaging, are some of the theories about handedness being tested out. We'll know a lot more in 10 years, but in any case, you can apply general principles from other things, it's called reasoning by analogy, not the best, but sometimes the only option for a solid thinking process.

I'm still going with my RH people who shoot left have better slappers theory though. As a righty who shoots LH, I've noticed more right side muscle wear out from practicing slapshots all day than left side, it makes sense if you try it yourself.
I've tried Googling the topic and they often end up mentioning that these kinds of studies "suggest" rather than prove anything, and are "inconclusive". It may be really too early reach any real scientific conclusions. As far as anyone knows, changing handedness might even be beneficial for the brain, making one "think outside the box" in way.

I do think that it's pointless and misguided to force a child to change handedness, but unless there is some corporal punishment or other form of abuse in the process like a teacher hitting a student's hand with a ruler when he uses the wrong hand, I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's child abuse.

You mentioned analogies. When I started skating many years ago, as for pretty much everyone it was a lot easier to turn and stop on one side than on the other. So I had to practise the difficult (wrong) side more than the easy (dominant) side until both felt equally natural. So according to those studies, we would have to conclude that anyone who knows how to skate properly has damaged his brain in the learning process by forcing himself to train the wrong side? That's mainly what doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by LarryO: 01-02-2010 at 09:18 AM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
SSM12

i am right handed and shoot right.

My left hand is strong which helps with the stickhandling btu i love having my dominant hand down low.

My shots arent bad, and stickhandling is my best asset.

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
jablueblue

I write with my left hand, but my right is dominent and i do everything right handed including stickhandeling, batting, golfing, i have an average but accurate shot and can stickhandel well but not great, but left handed i'm better than most people with their wrong hand although still pretty awkward...

jablueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
McMonster

I am righty in everything and I also shoot righty in hockey. I technically should be lefty in hockey but the first stick I ever picked up was righty.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
difren

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
You must be kidding! I guess you're brain-damaged, difren. Hahaha! I'd like to see your scientific evidence to support this, though.
Possibly! Really though, it's not much of a problem, the left handed scissors always sucked when I was a kid anyway. I'm a well adapted person, have no ill will against my parents,and have a good slapper. Could be worse.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote