HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

proper positioning and weight transfer in MY shot

Old
12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
proper positioning and weight transfer in MY shot

I took a slow motion video of myself at the rink this morning with my Zi6 because I really don't feel as if I'm getting proper weight transfer in my shot. I'm not even sure if i have proper body placement. I've never had lessons or anything, I've played in beer leagues all my life (with a 10 yeah hiatus from 10-20) and I just want to know what tips you guys have for me with regards to body placement, hand placement , or whatever else.
Another thing that sort of threw me was the flex of my stick. In my video, it hardly bends at all, leading me to believe (like the Kovalev video explained) that I'm using too much of my arms and not enough of my weight. I'm using a Mission V-Hex 2 (85 flex) with a Z-2 blade.

heres the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFdfwPqJsk

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
CanadaBacon

You are getting very little flex on your stick as you pointed out. Had to pause it a few time to get the shot. Need to get the blade on the ground a inch or two back from where you are hitting. Basically swatting the puck without a load. Is it the right flex for you?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Ive tried stiffer sticks and whippy sticks, but I feel that the 85 is where I get the best shot and I'm most comfortable with.

Old
12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Ive tried stiffer sticks and whippy sticks, but I feel that the 85 is where I get the best shot and I'm most comfortable with.
yah, mind you my opinion comes from trying to pause at the right time so take it with a grain of salt but try loading an inch or so back from where you are loading now.

Old
12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

and another thing is that It feels as if I'm hitting the ground first, but Ill take some more shots over the weekend with my changes. The other thing is, my shots are hard and accurate, its not as if they're terrible shots, I just think they could be better.

Old
12-29-2009, 03:53 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
and another thing is that It feels as if I'm hitting the ground first, but Ill take some more shots over the weekend with my changes. The other thing is, my shots are hard and accurate, its not as if they're terrible shots, I just think they could be better.
It looks like your are, just a bit close to the puck so you dont get the full load.

Old
12-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Elshupacabra

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../81008002/1128

Learn....LEARN

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

To me your mechanics looked fine, you had your weight on your hind leg and drove through the puck like you should with a good followthrough.

You also did what many people fail to do and that is to look where you are shooting either just before the shot or during the followthrough.

Your video looked fine to me.

In slow mo it also looked like you got a good flex on the first shot with your lower hand making a good fulcrum to make good use of the kickpoint.

I did not see what the puck did out of frame but your shot itself looked okay to me and balanced properly. people's styles vary so critiqueing an exact stance is ridiculous.

The only thing I would think of is maybe if you are having a poor shot is that the blade lie might be wrong for you .... I cannot tell from the video and really you would have to look at the tape wear after playing on the bottom of your blade.

Hitting too much toe of the blade can cause a wobbly poor shot and weaker wristers.

I use a 5.5 to 6 lie as anything less makes it more difficult to zip it with steam on it. I can still shoot it "okay" but not like i can with a regular lie that is for my height and style.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
To me your mechanics looked fine, you had your weight on your hind leg and drove through the puck like you should with a good followthrough.

You also did what many people fail to do and that is to look where you are shooting either just before the shot or during the followthrough.

Your video looked fine to me.

In slow mo it also looked like you got a good flex on the first shot with your lower hand making a good fulcrum to make good use of the kickpoint.

I did not see what the puck did out of frame but your shot itself looked okay to me and balanced properly. people's styles vary so critiqueing an exact stance is ridiculous.

The only thing I would think of is maybe if you are having a poor shot is that the blade lie might be wrong for you .... I cannot tell from the video and really you would have to look at the tape wear after playing on the bottom of your blade.

Hitting too much toe of the blade can cause a wobbly poor shot and weaker wristers.

I use a 5.5 to 6 lie as anything less makes it more difficult to zip it with steam on it. I can still shoot it "okay" but not like i can with a regular lie that is for my height and style.
I wonder though if I move my top hand out a bit (a foot?) if that will increase power at all. I always seem to have my top hand real close to my rib/pit area

haha, well it hit the garbage can behind the net (Im guessing it went through the net- the first puck was a bit thin and worn so this happens alot) and the second hit the post (which I DEFINITELY meant to hit )

My shots fine. Its hard and mostly accurate and though I use a Cole tape job, the blade wears down towards the midheel first before the toe. I don't really know what the lie on my blades are (any of them).

Old
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

it looks like your heel is the first part touching the ground instead of the entire blade which may be why its not flexing as much as you like

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
it looks like your heel is the first part touching the ground instead of the entire blade which may be why its not flexing as much as you like
That is possible which was why I mentioned the lie on the stick. Proper lie of the stick will definitely increase power and accuracy.

Most people do not pay too much attention the lie and it is probably the most important thing to shooting pucks considering blade curve is mostly preference.

The only other thing to consider if he is hitting the heel is the stick is a bit too long, even a quarter inch can mess things up. Chances are though it is the lie since he is hitting the heel so with that I would say you are correct.

Old
12-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I wonder though if I move my top hand out a bit (a foot?) if that will increase power at all. I always seem to have my top hand real close to my rib/pit area

haha, well it hit the garbage can behind the net (Im guessing it went through the net- the first puck was a bit thin and worn so this happens alot) and the second hit the post (which I DEFINITELY meant to hit )

My shots fine. Its hard and mostly accurate and though I use a Cole tape job, the blade wears down towards the midheel first before the toe. I don't really know what the lie on my blades are (any of them).
There isn't a wrong place for your lower hand depending on the shot ... one timer swipe type shot both hands are up high on the shot like malkin does and if a typical regular one timer the bottom hand can be anywhere from mid shaft to the lower portion if they want the one timer up high.

Depends on the shot really and the pass you got. Really i would not concern yourself about your lower hand too much.

The way they are in the video looks fine to me.

Old
12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
StrykerB

I'm not sure if the dynamics are different on an inline slapshot versus an ice hockey slapshot, but the two things that stick out are:

1. You may see additional shot speed if you load your stick a bit more. As stated in previous posts, hitting the pavement before the puck will load your stick. But it's up to you to find your sweet spot to determine how many inches you strike the pavement before the puck. It might me 1" it might be 8". Try playing around until you find optimal performance.

2. The second thing that really sticks out is how your front skate is positioned. Again, I don't know if roller is different than ice, but your forward skate is positioned into the shot. In ice hockey, your forward skate should be positioned almost perpendicular to the shot. This is a huge factor to generate additional shot speed.

Nice video though. And your form is pretty close. What did you use for a camera, one of those Casio Exilim's?

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
I'm not sure if the dynamics are different on an inline slapshot versus an ice hockey slapshot, but the two things that stick out are:

1. You may see additional shot speed if you load your stick a bit more. As stated in previous posts, hitting the pavement before the puck will load your stick. But it's up to you to find your sweet spot to determine how many inches you strike the pavement before the puck. It might me 1" it might be 8". Try playing around until you find optimal performance.

2. The second thing that really sticks out is how your front skate is positioned. Again, I don't know if roller is different than ice, but your forward skate is positioned into the shot. In ice hockey, your forward skate should be positioned almost perpendicular to the shot. This is a huge factor to generate additional shot speed.

Nice video though. And your form is pretty close. What did you use for a camera, one of those Casio Exilim's?
Inline and ice mechanics should both be the same since then only real difference aside from ice/asphalt is wheels/blades. I always thought that your front foot should determine where your shot goes.

nah its a Kodak Zi6 that I got for a great price (75$), shoots pretty damn good for what it is.

Old
12-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
There isn't a wrong place for your lower hand depending on the shot ... one timer swipe type shot both hands are up high on the shot like malkin does and if a typical regular one timer the bottom hand can be anywhere from mid shaft to the lower portion if they want the one timer up high.

Depends on the shot really and the pass you got. Really i would not concern yourself about your lower hand too much.

The way they are in the video looks fine to me.
Im talking about the top hand (by the grip/tape), thinking about pushing it out more

Old
12-30-2009, 10:08 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
Good point. The slapper MUST come off the middle of the blade, approximately, to get the best shot possible.

Quote:
Inline and ice mechanics should both be the same since then only real difference aside from ice/asphalt is wheels/blades. I always thought that your front foot should determine where your shot goes.

nah its a Kodak Zi6 that I got for a great price (75$), shoots pretty damn good for what it is.
You are basically right. BTW, there are three things I noticed to potentially help you improve, 1) Twist your upper body in your wind up, load it up like you're going to spin a top and then unwind with the downswing 2) Don't try to shoot hard. That's the #1 mistakes players make. I absolutely guarantee that by slowing down your back-swing and not trying to hit so hard, you will gain shot power. 3) Pick the spot on the ice you're going to strike before you begin the motion, whether it's 1.5 or 3 inches behind the puck depends on your judgment, and focus on contacting this spot before the puck.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Good point. The slapper MUST come off the middle of the blade, approximately, to get the best shot possible.

You are basically right. BTW, there are three things I noticed to potentially help you improve, 1) Twist your upper body in your wind up, load it up like you're going to spin a top and then unwind with the downswing 2) Don't try to shoot hard. That's the #1 mistakes players make. I absolutely guarantee that by slowing down your back-swing and not trying to hit so hard, you will gain shot power. 3) Pick the spot on the ice you're going to strike before you begin the motion, whether it's 1.5 or 3 inches behind the puck depends on your judgment, and focus on contacting this spot before the puck.

sounds good. I'm going to try to take everything into account and before my next pickup game on sat/sun ill take another video.
thanks for everyones responses, they're much appreciated.

Old
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
StrykerB

Quote:
Here's a slo-mo video of Dany Heatley to show you what I'm talking about regarding an almost perpendicular forward foot position:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8AlP0fsVX4

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:30 PM
CanadaBacon

I still think your shot looks good, just need to load alittle more

Old
01-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

Your followthrough with your arms determines where the shot goes not your front foot. I can shoot with my front foot pointing anywhere. Leg drive is where the power comes from but not in aiming the shot.

I would also say if your foot is always pointed to where you are shooting that your power is not very good at all.

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS VIDEO AND LOOK AT THE FEET.

There are times I am moving in the wrong direction away from the strong side and I make a slapshot shooting across my body as it is called which is the hardest slapshot to make. That means I shoot in the opposite direction I am skating because circumstance dictated it and if one takes the time to position themselves for a normal shot it is too late usually. Usually when i rip a good one shooting across my body I fall down because all of my balance was used in making a hard shot. This is normal by the way.

Basically if I followed a front foot points to what I am shooting at rule I would have to be in the middle of the ice all the time. This just doesn't happen in a game and it would not be beneficial to leg drive and power. IE I would be shooting wrong.

Sometimes you can make a good half-slap or snapshot the way you shoot on your front foot if the position and circumstance in the game is the only way to get blance for the shot. Sometimes you will see a guy redirect a shot on goal and drop to his hind leg and have his front foot pointed towards the goal.

So sometimes you will see that but it isn't the best way to shoot and is more of a make due with what is available to you shooting stance at that moment.

I'm probably not explaining that right but I suck at that so deal with it lol.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 01-01-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

So I went out earlier before my open hockey started and took some more video, thought I wasn't happy with my form at all. there was little follow through and I'm still hitting the ground a bout an inch behind it. I did take video of my wrist shot and one slapshot video, so Ill post that as soon as its finished uploading.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhnMBRLG6B8

Last edited by Hobgoblin Steve: 01-03-2010 at 09:09 PM.