HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think the worst thing the oilers could do is rush the kids

View Poll Results: Do you want the oilers to rush ALL their top prospects into the line up next season
Yes--as many as you can next season 2 11.11%
NO--fix the situation in the dressing room first 5 27.78%
Gradually--one in 2010/2011, two in 2011/2012, 2 more in 2012/2013 2 11.11%
Eberle next year--after that wait to see who develops how 4 22.22%
Too early to tell 3 16.67%
Other 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2010, 12:54 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Do you think the worst thing the oilers could do is rush the kids

In a dozen or so threads people are putting up line ups for the 2010/2011 season that in some cases have 2 rookies and in other cases the up to 6 rookies next year.

I am from the school of where you can not rush the prospects and tossing that many of them into the mix at the same time is trouble waiting to happen. The question has already been asked if the oilers have ruined Sam Gagner by bring him straigh into the NHL and whther or not he could have been helped by one more year in junior(like Eberle got).

There is a very good chance Eberle will be in the oilers starting line up next season. The oilers have a few good prospects around the hockey world and they look to be developing quite nicely. I believe 100% that if the oilers bring any more of their good prospects in next year--they will be doing more harm then good.

There are a few blatent problems

1) Losing does not create a good developing astmosphere with team--Unless you have two guys names Crosby and Malkin who were "rather good prospects" and who can turn the team with their talent. While MSP, Eberle and a few of the other guys a looking good--there not quite in the same league as Alex Overcheckin, Crosby, Malkin and you know the superstars in this league who from the moment they got drafted people knew they were not normal prospects.

2)There is a problem in the dressing room. None of us know just what the problem is--but I think most of us can agree on the fact there is something wrong in the dressing room and the oilers need to address that before the toss in and ruin any more kids.

3)Tossing in the kids is easy--what happens when they sink and not swim. Many people are jumping up and down at the play of certain junior players--well they are men playing against boys(for the most part). There is a learning curb from different leagues.

I am not just talking about just MPS and Eberle. Jeff Petry is also getting ready to come out of university--some reports have him coming out after this season--while other say next year. He is the guy I am waiting to see. The oilers have prospects at several levels of development and I am concerned the oilers will do what some people here want--kick 1/4 of the team to the curb and go with all kids.

Both Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano are struggling and there are some concerns as to what harm is being done to them. Besides Ales Hemsky--who is the last prospect the oilers were able to develop into a top 6 forward? Jason Arnot got run out town before he could develop. I guess Shawn Horcoff is the guy he was drafted how many years ago?1998?(and the debate on whether he would be a top 6 forward on any other team is an amusing debate)

AS the oilers are marred in the bottom of the standings--people will be more and more in a mood to say don't offer this guy a q-offer and if we cant trade this guy--toss him in the minors(hey we have a rich owner--what does he care about money), trade away ths guy for a 5th rounder and sign this guy who is a ufa. Do this do that--lets face facts we are all arm chair GM's and we all got the sollutions to every single problem that faces the oilers..

Buy out play 1, trade player 2 to team B for a first rounder and their top prospect, trade player 3 to team C for their first rounder and a project player and that solves the oiers cap problems--only if it was that simple.

It is a question to put out

With this team being as bad as it is--do you rush the kids

I will give some options to discuss

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:57 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
The problem is that we're about to be very Euro-heavy. Omark next year, Lander, MSP and probably Hartikainen the season after, Rajala eventually. I would love to stack the AHL team with them for the next couple years but the reality- and the reason I bring up their heritage- is because they might delay coming over until they get NHL time.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:00 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
The problem is that we're about to be very Euro-heavy. Omark next year, Lander, MSP and probably Hartikainen the season after, Rajala eventually. I would love to stack the AHL team with them for the next couple years but the reality- and the reason I bring up their heritage- is because they might delay coming over until they get NHL time.

Thank you, if I brought it up it would be ingnored

European hockey is different then North American hockey

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:06 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
The key word here is "rush", which I don't think they could do for Omark, Eberle or Paajarvi by merely putting them on the NHL team. I think they can rush them by forcing them to play a primary role on the team, and I'm definitely against that.

I mean, look at Mike Richards. Henrik and Daniel Sedin. James Neal. David Krejci and James Van Riemsdyk. Hell, even Ales Hemsky.

Let them develop as secondary scorers where they don't have as much pressure on them to produce on a game-by-game basis. Teach them the pro game, structure and systems play.

You do that, you're more likely to get legitimate impact players out of them in the future and in the short term you get some secondary scoring.

We do have a couple prime-aged legitimate scorers here with Penner and Hemsky.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Some players adapt quickly and others don't. Some players are great out of the gate, others take several years. The only time I don't wanna rush a player is if they aren't physically matured yet. That's asking for an injury.

MPS is physically and mentally ready. He's already playing with men in the SEL, so a transition to the NHL shouldn't be so bad.

Eberle on the other hand I'm more concerned about. He's not the quickest, and he's not a big guy. He's putting up great numbers in the WHL and WJC's, but I think his transition will be more Gagner-esque to the NHL. He'll get some immediate success, but as other teams target him more, his production will drop.

Hartikainen, Lander, Rajala and Omark are all in the distant. Of the 4, from what I've seen at the WJC's and Worlds Hartikainen has the best chance of making the Oilers under Quinn's system. He has no fear at all when going into the corners and he puts up decent numbers.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:14 AM
I am the Liquor

Forget about Rajala. Unless we are tanking for ten years that skating broom handle isnt coming anywhere near this team. I cant believe we traded Brodziak for him. Well actually I can. That is sad.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Traktor*

I think it's critical to surround our young talent with quality veterans but our leadership core of Horcoff, Moreau and Staios are overpaid plumbers that act like they are Gods gift to hockey.

I'd love to have Eberle and Magnus in the lineup but only if we can take out the trash first. Cogliano's development has been thrown in the gutter by playing with Ethan Moreau the last two seasons and the last thing we need is another situation like that.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:27 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
I think it's critical to surround our young talent with quality veterans but our leadership core of Horcoff, Moreau and Staios are overpaid plumbers that act like they are Gods gift to hockey.

I'd love to have Eberle and Magnus in the lineup but only if we can take out the trash first. Cogliano's development has been thrown in the gutter by playing with Ethan Moreau the last two seasons and the last thing we need is another situation like that.
QFT.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Jesus

Please no rushing of prospects anymore.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
The key word here is "rush", which I don't think they could do for Omark, Eberle or Paajarvi by merely putting them on the NHL team. I think they can rush them by forcing them to play a primary role on the team, and I'm definitely against that.

I mean, look at Mike Richards. Henrik and Daniel Sedin. James Neal. David Krejci and James Van Riemsdyk. Hell, even Ales Hemsky.

Let them develop as secondary scorers where they don't have as much pressure on them to produce on a game-by-game basis. Teach them the pro game, structure and systems play.

You do that, you're more likely to get legitimate impact players out of them in the future and in the short term you get some secondary scoring.

We do have a couple prime-aged legitimate scorers here with Penner and Hemsky.
Well said and agreed.

My issue with the current team is is the leadership core of veterans is largely comprised of players who don't pull their weight. That is not the type of 'primary' scorers I want our prospects to learn from. I don't even care if they aren't scorers, I want leaders. The Jason Smith type players are fine with me, as long as they do what their supposed to do and not screw up the room. Thats what I want to surround our kids with.

To be honest, I'd take our sweet time with our prospects. Let Eberle dominate the AHL for a season. Let MPS dominate the SEL next season too before bringing him over. Lander too. Omark's iffy, but I'd let him simmer in the AHL atleast half a season to see how he does in North America.

Gagner and Cogs are examples of how putting players in iffy situations can hurt their development. Not saying their both busts, but its a little iffy weather we screwed up their development or not.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:44 AM
surshot*

I only see two next year being Eberle and Paajarvi and maybe three if we get Hall but thats not a for sure thing even if we do get him. I see Omark being moved even though he is probably the most ready.

Eberle has not been rushed and if you asked him he probably wants to be on the team and was somewhat pissed he did not make the jump this year.

Paajarvi is going to be on this team next year and i see no reason why we could not make the room for him with his size speed and skill. He does not spend a single minute in the AHL.

Omark as much as I like him i like Eberle better and that makes him tradeable unless he can play bottom six minutes.

Lander is a few years away and I feel he is going to come play in the AHL. Future is bright for him as a shutdown center.

Nash is going to be going to the AHL when he is done with Cornell.

Petry could make it but he is probably staying in school for next year.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote