HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn Done?

View Poll Results: Will Pat Quinn still be coach in 2010-2011?
Yes 76 57.58%
No 38 28.79%
Maybe/Unknown 18 13.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
BTW-Where are these comments that Quinn made? I listened to what's on edmontonoilers.com and they had a short clip but it didn't seem too damning.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
how much younger do you expect them to get? right now, they sit in about 22nd spot in the league with an average age of 27.253 years.

they might retool with different young players, but the team itself probably wont get much younger than it is already
Quality youth is better than non quality youth no?

Old
01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Quality youth is better than non quality youth no?
obviously, even still, the team itself probably wont get younger.

there is still the issue of moving out the players already here, but thats a whole different ball of sh**

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
obviously, even still, the team itself probably wont get younger.

there is still the issue of moving out the players already here, but thats a whole different ball of sh**
If all goes well we add an 18 year old and maybe a 20 year old while older guys like Souray, Moreau, Staios, are moved. So yeah, we get younger. Except for Souray, Visnovsky, Staios, Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani, and Khabibulin we have no one else over 30 IIRC.

Old
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
If all goes well we add an 18 year old and maybe a 20 year old while older guys like Souray, Moreau, Staios, are moved. So yeah, we get younger. Except for Souray, Visnovsky, Staios, Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani, and Khabibulin we have no one else over 30 IIRC.

over the last 3 years, the lowest average age of a team in the NHL has been about 25.5 years of age.

the oilers are going to become trail blazers and end up lower than that?

yes, i get that some vets may get moved out and some young players will get brought in, but you will always have vets on the team. If this team goes with all youth next year and has an average age of, say for example, 24, we will be looking at a even bigger disaster than this year

Old
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
over the last 3 years, the lowest average age of a team in the NHL has been about 25.5 years of age.

the oilers are going to become trail blazers and end up lower than that?

yes, i get that some vets may get moved out and some young players will get brought in, but you will always have vets on the team. If this team goes with all youth next year and has an average age of, say for example, 24, we will be looking at a even bigger disaster than this year
We will add some vets as FA's if we move some at the deadline, but yeah I think that there's a good chance that we're a younger team next year.

Old
01-03-2010, 03:49 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
We will add some vets as FA's if we move some at the deadline, but yeah I think that there's a good chance that we're a younger team next year.
tell you what, bookmark this, and in october we will check back. the oilers average age is 27.2 right now. care to wager how much it drops?

i will bet you a month on the leafs board it doesnt drop below 26.

Old
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Everest

Quote:
how much younger do you expect them to get? right now, they sit in about 22nd spot in the league with an average age of 27.253 years.

they might retool with different young players, but the team itself probably wont get much younger than it is already
I think we'll see Eberle & Paajarvi on a team with Gagner, Brule. Moreau will not be here & who knows about Pisani.

Id say the experience that Gagner, Brule and (maybe) Cogliano have gained at the NHL will be cancelled out by the arrival of 2 fresh rookies next year.

I also do NOT see Stone or JFJ going anywhere.

So, I suppose the technically correct prediction would be to say the average age of the Oilers will hold where it is...but still...key prospects are coming sooner rather than later.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
tell you what, bookmark this, and in october we will check back. the oilers average age is 27.2 right now. care to wager how much it drops?

i will bet you a month on the leafs board it doesnt drop below 26.
Let's wait until the deadline and BTW of it were 26.5 it'd still be a drop, I'm not saying that we'll drop a whole year as every remaining player will be a year older.

Old
01-03-2010, 03:57 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I think we'll see Eberle & Paajarvi on a team with Gagner, Brule. Moreau will not be here & who knows about Pisani.

Id say the experience that Gagner, Brule and (maybe) Cogliano have gained at the NHL will be cancelled out by the arrival of 2 fresh rookies next year.

I also do NOT see Stone or JFJ going anywhere.

So, I suppose the technically correct prediction would be to say the average age of the Oilers will hold where it is...but still...key prospects are coming sooner rather than later.
agreed

Old
01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Everest

Quote:
agreed
Its hard to say what will happen with the D.

Its supposed to be the strong side of the hockey team but how much of our unsightly GAA is JDD's fault and how much of it is guys like Souray, Grebs & Gilbert?

Its got to be AT LEAST 50-50 right now that Chorney checks in for Grebs next season. (if not the trade deadline).

Thats not going to give the coach any MORE experience (just less grey hairs)

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Shizuka

Watching and listening to Quinn's post-game scrums is like watching someone undergo rehab -- denial, anger, frustration, exasperation, resigned acceptance of fate...numbness... He may well fall on his sword. Will that change anything? I don't believe so. The players tuned out, pouted, whined and eventually got their wish -- brand new coaching staff, with the exception of Buchberger. And what has happened? The team's play has regressed. The coaching was not really the problem, in spite of the bloodthirsty cries of the great grey unwashed masses of Oiler fans.

The gunsights are turned where they should be, and should have been even during the twilight of MacT's tenure here -- on the players themselves. Ultimately, it is up to them to execute. They are not, and have not been doing so for the past 3 seasons. Changing coaching staff yet again will not result in any great difference until most of the apathetic and embarassingly non-accountable 'leadership' is removed.

I think Quinn will resign. At this stage of his career, I cannot imagine he has the patience nor the time to sit through a rebuild. I don't know if Renney has it in him to coach this team, either. What I would expect is more Oilers 'good ol' boys' nepotism to make its return, in the form of Buchberger getting handed the job. What he has done to deserve it, or even deserve being kept over Huddy, is way beyond me -- but that's what I expect to see.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
StellaArtois881199
Bring Back #94

As long as Ethan Moreau, Steve Staios, Fernando Pisani (pretty m,uch done) are on this team, they will go nowhere.

We need new leadership.

Trade Moreai, Staios for whatever at the deadline. Move one of Souray or Vis for cap space, and let the young team grow.

My, and probably 95% of the armchair GM's thinking.

StellaArtois881199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Based on various post game comments over the past month, Quinn seems to have conceded to himself that this is a teaching season.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Based on various post game comments over the past month, Quinn seems to have conceded to himself that this is a teaching season.
I thought that was understood when he signed on? After two decades of suck, Quinn wasn't about to change the Oil into winners in a few months.

Watching the junior pre-game, they interviewed Tambo about Eberle and MPS. I think Quinn just needs to keep his eye on the fresh assets he'll have to coach down the road. The future might be bright, it's just gonna take a while to pull free of this ugly mud pit the Oil are stuck in.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hey you were the one callling me out on a comment that Penners game has currently reverted to last year territory. I challenged you on whether I was wrong and you respond to a question with a question?
What do you mean by last year territory? Being benched, and berated in the press even though he was one of the best goal producers and +/- players on the team? No, I dont think that has happened yet. Your turn.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Stoneman89

90 % of Dustin Penners' turnaround this year is on Dustin Penner. No one else. The other 10 % can be attributed to a change in coach and new responsibilities for him. To suggest anything else is an insult and discredit to all the hard work and mental preparation and growth in maturity he worked on since last season ended. The light bulb went on for him over the summer, and he came to camp in game shape. It happens when players see a career slipping away. Amazing how fast and alert, and skilled a guy will seem when he isn't sucking wind after 15 seconds of ice time.
If Dustin Penner came to camp last season like he did this one, he gets the **** played out of him, and never, ever sees a pressbox. I don't care who is coaching.
And so far, after years of different coaches telling him the same things, including the esteemed Pat Quinn earlier this year when he was a healthy scratch for a multitude of games, Robert Nilsson is having the same type of epiphany. Knock on wood that he has really "gotten it" this time.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
90 % of Dustin Penners' turnaround this year is on Dustin Penner. No one else. The other 10 % can be attributed to a change in coach and new responsibilities for him. To suggest anything else is an insult and discredit to all the hard work and mental preparation and growth in maturity he worked on since last season ended. The light bulb went on for him over the summer, and he came to camp in game shape. It happens when players see a career slipping away. Amazing how fast and alert, and skilled a guy will seem when he isn't sucking wind after 15 seconds of ice time.
If Dustin Penner came to camp last season like he did this one, he gets the **** played out of him, and never, ever sees a pressbox. I don't care who is coaching.
And so far, after years of different coaches telling him the same things, including the esteemed Pat Quinn earlier this year when he was a healthy scratch for a multitude of games, Robert Nilsson is having the same type of epiphany. Knock on wood that he has really "gotten it" this time.
Wow. You sure know a lot about Dustin Penner. Sounds like you are attributing his success to Mactavish. That is well, I cant think of a word for insane and hilarious, so I will just leave it at that.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:23 PM
troutman

Done? He will never stop chewing that piece of gum.

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

With our leading scorer and number 1 goalie out of the lineup due to injury, i dont think so. The team played very well before the injury problem and i still have confident that this team is going to make the playoff. Go Oilers Go!

Last edited by Vancouver_2010: 01-04-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote